Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Strength or fitness?

Hi guys. Im 17 and heading into my last year of rugby before college. Played **** this year, found SS about 2 months ago, got injured for 4 weeks in rugby, building back up my strength and am now in a dilemma. When i found SS, my strength gains went through the roof. I was planning on doing it until the end of may then 3 months of fitness. Now that ive lost a lot of time, i will do ss until at least the end of june, leaving me with 6-8 weeks of fitness/plyo etc. Is this enough time to get back to a good fitness? Also i do a high intensity interval run after every gym session and add in my own core as well. Cheers bros

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Openside4Life View Post
    Hi guys. Im 17 and heading into my last year of rugby before college. Played **** this year, found SS about 2 months ago, got injured for 4 weeks in rugby, building back up my strength and am now in a dilemma. When i found SS, my strength gains went through the roof. I was planning on doing it until the end of may then 3 months of fitness. Now that ive lost a lot of time, i will do ss until at least the end of june, leaving me with 6-8 weeks of fitness/plyo etc. Is this enough time to get back to a good fitness? Also i do a high intensity interval run after every gym session and add in my own core as well. Cheers bros
    Doing Starting Strength or any weight training program doesn't preclude you from your fitness work. It's plenty of time.

Here is my article on year-round preparation for Rugby. You're coming in late, but if you start in the off-season 2 cycle, you'll be fine. Or, you can shorten the blocks and maybe get some more off-season 1.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159632861
    Last edited by krakkerz; 04-06-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Fix link

33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As Krakkerz has said do BOTH! Since you are already including interval training after your gym sessions your baseline fitness should be pretty good. I wouldn't overly worry about the plyometrics as getting stronger will improve your explosiveness and plyo's are very taxing to the CNS which will need more recovery time hindering any additional conditioning you may want to add.

Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Openside4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 33wolf View Post
    As Krakkerz has said do BOTH! Since you are already including interval training after your gym sessions your baseline fitness should be pretty good. I wouldn't overly worry about the plyometrics as getting stronger will improve your explosiveness and plyo's are very taxing to the CNS which will need more recovery time hindering any additional conditioning you may want to add.
    Would a 7-8min interval run (3-7sec sprint 10-15 60%+ jog) be effective or a waste of time. Also i do my own core for 6min at the end of my workout

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Openside4Life View Post
    Would a 7-8min interval run (3-7sec sprint 10-15 60%+ jog) be effective or a waste of time. Also i do my own core for 6min at the end of my workout
    It wouldn't be ineffective, but you have to ask what you're trying to improve and where it fits in your training?

I trust you didn't read the thread I linked?