Closed Thread
Page 71 of 85 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 2523
    tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    Brahs, do any of you use any mic preamps to record? I'm looking for a decent one under $200.
    A good mic preamp makes a world of difference, like the difference between something sounding like a demo or a record. Low/mid level interfaces have "meh" preamps, and combined with ok conversion, it is hard to have it sound great.

I use an RME UFX, and the micstacy pres in that made all my mics sound better. The SM57 has a more hifi sound and the Rode condensers that used to sound harsh, now sound big and detailed. Its amazing how a good pre can make all your mics sound better. And a lower noise floor to boot.

If you want a PRO console sound on a budget, then look into the API clone kits by Classic API: (Google Classic API) These are actual API console circuits found in pro consoles and you can build them for a couple hundred. You wont find a better sounding pre in the sub-1K / channel bracket.

If you don't want to get into that, you could try a "character" pre like an ART MPA II. You can get it on ebay for $200 new. I used that for a couple years and it has an adjustable impedance so you can get it to match your mics. I found it to be a better vocal pre than for rock guitars, but I prefer a more accurate sound for tracking hard guitars. The s/n of the ART is not great, but its regarded as a good budget pre and its usable. It can add lots of character/distortion and is probably a good complement to an API pre. Its DI is not good, so not good for tracking to VSTis.

For the most part, the pro sound starts at 1K/channel. Everything below that is usable, but pretty similar. IOW, if you cant build the Classic API clone, then get an ART MPA or Behringer whatever, and save for your next upgrade.

Another really good option for around 600 is an RME Babyface. Its got a couple channels of really good conversion with good mic pres. That will improve your recordings, but it only has a few channels of IO.
    Last edited by tonewood; 01-27-2014 at 08:29 AM.

tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonewood has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Spykerwolf View Post
    Looking to get a wah wah pedal, but I've only heard of .. was it the Dunlop Crybaby? That the one Slash uses? Any recommendations? What's the main difference between cheap and expensive ones?
    I demoed them all and the VOX Big Bad Wah was the best, imo. The difference between them is the input buffer circuitry. Its the first thing in the chain, so its important. Some of them like the Cry Baby, really darken the tone even when its not on. If you have a really good boost pedal with a transparent input buffer, put it in front of a cry baby, it may help the tone loss, but I didn't try this. Also, some of the boutique ones have true bypass, but thats just advertizing, you need to really listen to see if there is tone loss.

Originally Posted by WayneBrady216 View Post
    Looking to learn how to play electric guitar, anyone have an opinion on guitars from rondomusic? Specifically their $99 strat copies, I saw on other sites they have somewhat decent reviews but $99 is super cheap so I'm skeptical.
    The biggest problem with cheap guitars will be the trem. Don't get a cheap guitar with a floating trem, they will not stay in tune. If you get a cheap strat, the best option is to buy extra springs and lock down the trem (dont use the bar).

The second problem is that they will sound bad. Bad electronics, bad wood.

You can get an Epiphone Les Paul or SG copy from guitar center for around $200-250 that will be a decent starting guitar.

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by tonewood View Post
    I demoed them all and the VOX Big Bad Wah was the best, imo. The difference between them is the input buffer circuitry. Its the first thing in the chain, so its important. Some of them like the Cry Baby, really darken the tone even when its not on. If you have a really good boost pedal with a transparent input buffer, put it in front of a cry baby, it may help the tone loss, but I didn't try this. Also, some of the boutique ones have true bypass, but thats just advertizing, you need to really listen to see if there is tone loss.
    The Budda BudWah is true bypass and IS true bypass
    I had one between my 57 reissue Strat and my Gibson Goldtone 30, if it sucks tone, that's the place to find out
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have an original Budda BudWah black label. It is true bypass and I couldn't hear any tone suck in or out of the chain.

mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Looking to learn how to play electric guitar, anyone have an opinion on guitars from rondomusic? Specifically their $99 strat copies, I saw on other sites they have somewhat decent reviews but $99 is super cheap so I'm skeptical.
    Get a Yamaha, Ibanez, Gibson, or Fender. Even the low end ones are playable. Check ebay or a local used site. Don't bother with rip off brands, it's a total waste of money...especially with acoustic guitars.

sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000)
    you could also look at second hand too, alot of people pick up the guitar as a hobby and quit and unless they have beat it to hell or got it wet theres not too much that can go wrong if the price is right.

I started on an Ibanez GRX40 (i still have it) and i think it was $299 new in australia so they are probably half that if you are in the states.
    weight = 69.9kgs (154lbs) ---- > 82.4kgs (181lbs) ----> 85.1kgs (187lbs)
    ___________1/2/12____________1/12/12____________1/3/13

JoeyAshWI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is really funny. I've been out of shape for the last ten years and haven't played guitar in the past three and a half years and find a post on both in one place! I am just about forty two years old now but had played in bands off and on from the time I was fourteen. I've had too many good and bad guitars and amps to remember but lost most of my gear in my divorce which is why I haven't played. (funny how things just disappear from the house, isn't it???)grrr

Anyway, I just thought I would add to the thread with some of what I do have left. I miss playing a lot and just picked up my guitar a few days ago and although I am rusty as heck, it was still a lot of fun. My favorite guitar is a 1981 Kramer Pacer Imperial with a Strat shaped headstock. Fender issued a cease and desist order against Kramer and they then had to change to the beak shape so there were only 300 or so of these guitars ever made. The neck is the most perfect thing you will ever feel. It has that old Charvel/Jackson/Kramer feel and basically plays itself. I'm a sucker for maple necks and this is the nicest one I've ever played. Best of all, this baby was made in the USA!!!

Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mattvdh View Post
    Get a Yamaha, Ibanez, Gibson, or Fender. Even the low end ones are playable. Check ebay or a local used site. Don't bother with rip off brands, it's a total waste of money...especially with acoustic guitars.
    I'd have to echo this. Do you know anyone that could help you with a second hand purchase?

Alternatively, the Squire (Fender) range are generally considered very good for the price if you absolutely must buy new.
    You should not drink and bake.

Steam ID - Hanibisco

WayneBrady216 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    I'd have to echo this. Do you know anyone that could help you with a second hand purchase?

Alternatively, the Squire (Fender) range are generally considered very good for the price if you absolutely must buy new.
    After more research, I now see that the $99 strat from Rondomusic is rather laughable, as well as most new electric guitars sub $150. Now I'm browsing around craigslist for used guitars to get a gauge on what the markets like for the brands you all recommended. Any opinions on the Yamaha Pacifica line?

iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    After more research, I now see that the $99 strat from Rondomusic is rather laughable, as well as most new electric guitars sub $150. Now I'm browsing around craigslist for used guitars to get a gauge on what the markets like for the brands you all recommended. Any opinions on the Yamaha Pacifica line?
    haven't used it personally but I know that yamaha builds reliable low end guitars. that's probably a safe bet
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***
    It is the power of the mind to be unconquerable

Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000) Crammage is just really nice. (+1000)
    Generally considered very good for the price, especially the 112V but that appears to be out of your price range.

I would personally go with a squier but heres a few for you to look at.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Squier-Electric-Guitars

http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Speci...words=epiphone

And two links for a few alternatives

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colum...c_guitars.html

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...-today-586459/

But as others have said and I will echo, go to a few stores and play them before you buy.
    You should not drink and bake.

Steam ID - Hanibisco

Too tall for the hills FreshRollyG's Avatar
    FreshRollyG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FreshRollyG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FreshRollyG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FreshRollyG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FreshRollyG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FreshRollyG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FreshRollyG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FreshRollyG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FreshRollyG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FreshRollyG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FreshRollyG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just getting back into the jig; dropped the giggity off for a set-up on Friday - fret level, re-crown, bridge set-up, intonation, re-string, electrics clean-up and hopefully a buff.

Been fiddling casually for ~5 years, but this year I'm going to take it more seriously. I want to bust out some instrumental recordings... Got a Mbox Mini 3 w/ PT11, but will be using 'Reaper' DAW.

Rig:
    1985 Gibson Explorer (black) w/ original Kahler tremolo (w/ vintage hardcase; Pro CMT Futura... Love it.)
    Boss GT10 for multi-effects
    Whirlwind Elite cloth cable (2x 10ft)
    Randall RX75-R amp (not the best..)
    .88 Tortex

Looking forward to it mangos.
    Last edited by FreshRollyG; 02-03-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    Jakes on you.

"Use those cojones."

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Hmm, what is my gear slut collection look like today

Guitars
    '96 Jackson DR5 with EM's
    '96 Jackson DR5 with Dimarzio's and coil tapping (up for sale)
    Hot rodded Squier Affinity Tele with all new black hardware, electronics, and GFS blade pup's (up for sale)
    Partscaster Walnut strat with blade pup's
    '13 ibanez Iron Label 7 string with EMG's
    '12 Ovation Elite TX 778
    '12 Ministar Castar travel electric guitar

Pedals
    Digi RP500
    Digi DF7
    Danelectro FishnChips EQ x 2
    BBE Sonic Stomp
    Mod Tone delay
    Budda Zenman OD (up for sale)
    Digi phaser 7 (up for sale)
    Artec power supply

Amps
    Engl Fireball 100
    Engl Raider 100 (up for sale)
    Orange Thunderverb 50 (up for sale)
    Laney Ironheart 15 studio (up for sale)

Speakers
    Jet City JS12X x 2
    Last edited by ctgblue; 02-03-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.

Just ordered this from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dean-Custom-El...ords=dean+350f

I've been playing for 20+ years and needed a 24 fret floyd guitar. Long time Ibanez fan and have a handful of H&S and Fugijen Ibbys, so I'm interested how this will stack up. The new Ibanez guitars seem to be overpriced for where they are made (USA prices for Japanese made, Japan prices for Korean, Korean prices for Indonesian, etc) and I dont like the appointments of the lower priced ones (weird fret markers, bad trems)

Back in the day, the Ibanez shreddy guitars were an amazing deal compared to what domestic makers were charging. Lots of innovation. Could get a Fugigen RG w/ Edge Trem for $550. That same guitar today from Ibanez costs $1500 for a Fujugen "Prestige" model.

I like the Dean product lineup. They have some innovative designs and they have an extensive made in USA lineup that are reasonably priced. Probably won't sell my Ibbys, but nice to see some alternatives. Should be here tomorrow, will report.
    Last edited by tonewood; 02-03-2014 at 02:48 PM.

overwhelming is just really nice. (+1000) overwhelming is just really nice. (+1000) overwhelming is just really nice. (+1000) overwhelming is just really nice. (+1000) overwhelming is just really nice. (+1000) overwhelming is just really nice. (+1000) overwhelming is just really nice. (+1000) overwhelming is just really nice. (+1000) overwhelming is just really nice. (+1000) overwhelming is just really nice. (+1000) overwhelming is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey guys, I'm about to buy a guitar for the first time and I was thinking about a Les Paul Special II which is 165$ CAD in my nearest store.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les...pecial-II.aspx

Would this be a great choice for someone who never played guitar before and wants to play rock?

iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by overwhelming View Post
    Hey guys, I'm about to buy a guitar for the first time and I was thinking about a Les Paul Special II which is 165$ CAD in my nearest store.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les...pecial-II.aspx

Would this be a great choice for someone who never played guitar before and wants to play rock?
    play it yourself and if it's comfortable, go for it
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

Just ordered this from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dean-Custom-El...ords=dean+350f

I've been playing for 20+ years and needed a 24 fret floyd guitar. Long time Ibanez fan and have a handful of H&S and Fugijen Ibbys, so I'm interested how this will stack up. The new Ibanez guitars seem to be overpriced for where they are made (USA prices for Japanese made, Japan prices for Korean, Korean prices for Indonesian, etc) and I dont like the appointments of the lower priced ones (weird fret markers, bad trems)

Back in the day, the Ibanez shreddy guitars were an amazing deal compared to what domestic makers were charging. Lots of innovation. Could get a Fugigen RG w/ Edge Trem for $550. That same guitar today from Ibanez costs $1500 for a Fujugen "Prestige" model.

I like the Dean product lineup. They have some innovative designs and they have an extensive made in USA lineup that are reasonably priced. Probably won't sell my Ibbys, but nice to see some alternatives. Should be here tomorrow, will report.
    damn that's a great price and it's one of the few dean models that I can stand to look at and even consider playing. hope it isn't built like crap and stays in tune for ya.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

Originally Posted by iTzDevo View Post
    damn that's a great price and it's one of the few dean models that I can stand to look at and even consider playing. hope it isn't built like crap and stays in tune for ya.
    Yeah, Dean seems to have the flying-V, metal market cornered, but they have a few traditional lines. This one has a Floyd Rose special which by all reports can stay in tune if set up well. Should be here this evening. . .

Yeah, Dean seems to have the flying-V, metal market cornered, but they have a few traditional lines. This one has a Floyd Rose special which by all reports can stay in tune if set up well. Should be here this evening. . .
    I haven't had great luck with the floyd systems on Ibanez models so I try to avoid them now. I prefer playing slide with bottles anyways, who needs a whammy.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

I haven't had great luck with the floyd systems on Ibanez models so I try to avoid them now. I prefer playing slide with bottles anyways, who needs a whammy.
    I like microtuners under my right hand, even if I'm not using the bar. To each their own.

New guitar day:
    Last edited by tonewood; 02-07-2014 at 07:19 PM.

New guitar day:

^^^ Older Schecter?^^
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Umbreh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Umbreh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Umbreh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Umbreh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Umbreh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Umbreh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Umbreh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Umbreh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Umbreh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Umbreh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Umbreh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    anybody have recommendations for a nice, moderately priced loop pedal/station? My friend loaned me one to try out, and while I love the idea of it, I don't necessarily love the one he let me borrow. The signal isn't quite as clear as I'd like it to be, but that may be because I'm not too familiar with the technology of such pedals nor have I really tweaked around with it too much.

it'll be running through a vox
    The truth to self is always hard to tell

Gravely now we stare at indecision
    Climbing stairs for sale is insufficient
    Reading off the wall is too contagious
    Capable of more, is that suspicious?

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    ^^^ Older Schecter?^^
    This is my new poverty shredder. Dean 350f, $275.

I am amazed at this guitar. After sanding/polishing the neck, setting the truss/action, this is as fast as any Ibanez I own. The Floyd had a tiny bit of tuning drift even after stretching the strings, so I replaced the springs with some high quality ones and tuning is rock solid. I can go crazy with the bar and it stays in tune. Pickups sound great too!

Better pic:

This is my new poverty shredder. Dean 350f, $275.

I am amazed at this guitar. After sanding/polishing the neck, setting the truss/action, this is as fast as any Ibanez I own. The Floyd had a tiny bit of tuning drift even after stretching the strings, so I replaced the springs with some high quality ones and tuning is rock solid. I can go crazy with the bar and it stays in tune. Pickups sound great too!
    awesome, congrats. she's a looker too
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

agace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    play it yourself and if it's comfortable, go for it
    Epiphone makes great stuff.

BakersChoice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BakersChoice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BakersChoice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BakersChoice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BakersChoice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BakersChoice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BakersChoice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BakersChoice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BakersChoice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BakersChoice is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BakersChoice is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In your guys opinions what is better to start out playing guitar with, electric or acoustic? I'd figure acoustic cause the strings are a bit tougher and it doesn't require an amp or anything but my boss thinks I should get an electric. Thanks in advance.

sam92687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sam92687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sam92687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sam92687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sam92687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sam92687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sam92687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sam92687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sam92687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    love the peavey valveking 100 watt 212 tube combo