Powerlifting in disguise graptorthemashn's Avatar
    graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50)

cutting with strength program? measly reps.

Hey guys, I'm aiming to cut body fat whilst doing my best to preserve strength gains in the gym - or even build upon them. Does anybody have an opinion on utilizing a basic 5x5 or another strength program to accomplish this? I was thinking something like

Mon - Squat / Bench / Row 5x5
    Tuesday - HIIT (30 min)
    Wed - Squat / OHP / Deadlift 5x5
    Thurs - HIIT (30)
    Fri - Squat / Bench / Row 5x5

Sat/ Sun - Rest

Maybe include small assistance work (weighted dips,situps)

Anybody have any experience with this or any advice? Thanks!
    Positive crew!

1365 RAW Total at 185 lbs
    Bench Press: 345
    Deadlift: 525
    Squat: 495

graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50) graptorthemashn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bumperoo
    Positive crew!

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're wanting to do a 5x5 I'd look into something like Madcows with ramping sets and a bit less volume than what you've written up.

Originally Posted by illiniStrive View Post
    If you're wanting to do a 5x5 I'd look into something like Madcows with ramping sets and a bit less volume than what you've written up.
    okay, but the volume on madcow would be the same as what i've written up.
    Positive crew!

anybody had experience with maintaining strength with a 3-day strength program in a deficit?
    Positive crew!

vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by graptorthemashn View Post
    anybody had experience with maintaining strength with a 3-day strength program in a deficit?
    I do 3x total body when cutting. It's maintains strength fairly well if the deficit isn't too extreme. That being said, if your going to cut for a long time, strength losses, while small, can sometimes be inevitable.
    -Former 300lb club

My Transformation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlEs4py6FUs

My YouTube Page: http://www.youtube.com/feedingfitness

"Obsessed is a term lazy people use to describe the dedicated."

Originally Posted by vismal View Post
    I do 3x total body when cutting. It's maintains strength fairly well if the deficit isn't too extreme. That being said, if your going to cut for a long time, strength losses, while small, can sometimes be inevitable.
    word. repped
    Positive crew!

orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've run 5x5s while cutting. I think it helps maintain strength as well as anything unless you plan on running an aggressive deficit, and even then it is a good option although you might lose some strength. If you are cutting hard you may want to consider ditching your HIIT cardio at some point, but see how it goes for you.

BTW, I think your program looks fine.

motivated99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motivated99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motivated99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motivated99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motivated99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motivated99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motivated99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motivated99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motivated99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motivated99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) motivated99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Right now, I'm cutting with the exact program you stated, just no assistance work, cardio, and doing 3x5 squats. Strength gains slowed down tremendously taking about 3 training sessions to up the weight. Had to de-load once as well. On 1k cal deficit. Good luck op.

Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by vismal View Post
    Do the same as Vismal, swap over to ICF 5x5 when doing my aggressive mini-cuts (usually around 2lbs+/wk) My strength increased on most lifts some stalled during my last cut with losing 2.2lbs/wk just need to adjust volume sometimes to compensate for reduced recovery. Cut only lasted 6 weeks though, would probably be another matter if it lasted longer.
    My story going from obese to fit while battling daily chronic headaches:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155566013&p=1104734533#post1104734533

Summer shred 2015. -final updated posted Sept. 19.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167135911

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by graptorthemashn View Post
    okay, but the volume on madcow would be the same as what i've written up.
    since you didn't indicate in your first post whether the 5x5 would be ramping I assumed they were sets straight across. in which case the volume would not be the same...

madcow also uses 1x5 for deadlifts, not 5x5; madcow also incorporates 4x5s, 1x3s, and 1x8s so really the volume is not even remotely the same...

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Some good advice OP. Nobody here knows what volume you are accustomed too. So it's hard to give specific program advice. Nothing wrong with a packaged 5x5 for a diet. You just will have to adjust the weight to be appropriate to the program, if you use a stock fixed volume and frequency (probably easiest to figure this way)

Everybody has to do that doe.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Znik View Post
    Do the same as Vismal, swap over to ICF 5x5 when doing my aggressive mini-cuts (usually around 2lbs+/wk) My strength increased on most lifts some stalled during my last cut with losing 2.2lbs/wk just need to adjust volume sometimes to compensate for reduced recovery. Cut only lasted 6 weeks though, would probably be another matter if it lasted longer.
    God what I wouldn't give to be 6'3", 3250+ TDEE. Cutting 13 pounds in 6 week on ~2200 cals a day? Yes please.

since you didn't indicate in your first post whether the 5x5 would be ramping I assumed they were sets straight across. in which case the volume would not be the same...

madcow also uses 1x5 for deadlifts, not 5x5; madcow also incorporates 4x5s, 1x3s, and 1x8s so really the volume is not even remotely the same...
    okay cool. will look into this!
    Positive crew!