Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Legend look-a-like adjustable bench from Fitness Gear

This $180 retail Fitness Gear bench looks somewhat similar to the Legend benches. Sort of a cross between the Legend 3-way and 4-way. I'm sure that it's not as nice as the one from Legend... It's made in China and has a low 600 lbs total weight limit... But I wonder if the design gives it an edge over other consumer level benches in its price range. Anyone seen one in person? How was it?

According to the description it's made of "Heavy-duty steel" but the specifications are not mentioned. I didn't see the weight of the bench either. The Legend 3-way bench weighs 93 lbs.

The weight limit of the FG bench is probably due in part to the steel but I wonder if other factors may be the weak point. Would the decline have a higher limit than the flat and incline positions since it is supported by the frame? ...and likewise... if they dropped the decline (similar to the legend 3 way), it would have support in the flat position... and possibly a higher weight limit.

Fitness Gear Pro Utility Bench

Legend 3-way

Legend 4-way

Legend 3-way and 4-way:

Perform a variety of exercise routines to build muscle and strength on the Fitness Gear Pro Utility Bench, a highly versatile and cross-functional bench. Compatible with the Fitness Gear Pro Full Rack and Half Rack, this heavy-duty steel bench features an eight-position back pad that adjusts from flat, decline to incline positions. A heavy-duty steel frame structure and durable finish supports a lifetime of usage and holds up to 600 lbs.

FEATURES:

Heavy-duty steel utility bench for all types of training applications
    Features 8-position back pad (flat, decline and incline positions)
    Durable frame finish supports lifetime of usage
    Comfortable high density foam backrest with reinforced double stitched seams
    Quick 3 level adjustment seat system
    Compatible with the Fitness Gear Pro Full Rack or Half Rack (not included)
    Assembled Dimensions: 54" L x 22.4" W x 17.8" H
    Maximum Weight Capacity (user weight + weights): 600 lbs
    Model: STE00102
    Fitness Gear
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=22455766
    Attached Images
    Last edited by morebarbell; 09-08-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    This $180 retail Fitness Gear bench looks somewhat similar to the Legend benches. Sort of a cross between the Legend 3-way and 4-way. I'm sure that it's not as nice as the one from Legend... It's made in China and has a low 600 lbs total weight limit... But I wonder if the design gives it an edge over other consumer level benches in its price range. Anyone seen one in person? How was it?

According to the description it's made of "Heavy-duty steel" but the specifications are not mentioned. I didn't see the weight of the bench either. The Legend 3-way bench weighs 93 lbs.

The weight limit of the FG bench is probably due in part to the steel but I wonder if other factors may be the weak point. Would the decline have a higher limit than the flat and incline positions since it is supported by the frame? ...and likewise... if they dropped the decline (similar to the legend 3 way), it would have support in the flat position... and possibly a higher weight limit.

Fitness Gear Pro Utility Bench

Legend 3-way

Legend 4-way

Legend 3-way and 4-way:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=22455766
    Yes, I have this bench. It is an exact copy of the Legend 3-Way but lighter gauge steel. It is actually a very good bench if used for the right purpose. I use it as a utility bench with my Functional Training machine so the 600 lb. Rating is not an issue. The padding is great and the angle of the seat really locks you in.

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    $180 new for an FID with a solid design its crazy affordable for someone on an entry level budget that doesn't want to go the used route. Their power rack isn't too bad either. They also have 300 lb Olympic sets and weight trees. A beginner could get a full setup, brand new, same day from Dick's for less than a grand. Not bad!

6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you guys for posting the info on this bench! I'm currently building up my garage gym and was looking at decent FID benches on a budget. This fits the criteria I need: sub 18 inches from the floor, adjustable back, adjustable seat, rear wheeled with a front handle, and able to support up to 500 lbs. Dick's had a free shipping promo which this item qualified for, so I went ahead and ordered it. It cost me $201 with UPS standard shipping, scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'll be sure to post a review when it comes in.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dick's has sold this same bench in different color combinations (red/grey and blue/grey) and under a couple different names over the past couple years. If you're looking for more info on it, try searching for Proviction and Protocol.

I had an opportunity to check out one of the red/grey models about a year ago and thought it was pretty solid. It was at a local scratch-and-dent wholesaler and we weren't able to reach a mutually agreeable price so I walked away. In hindsight, I probably should've picked it up. This new one has a better front foot design than the previous models.
    Last edited by Stasher1; 09-16-2013 at 01:00 AM.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can't help but think that the crescent-shaped adjuster bars for the seat and back would be one of the weak points of the bench, although it certainly does look like a much better starter option than the usual Weider/Marcy crap......
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 6mildollarman View Post
    Thank you guys for posting the info on this bench! I'm currently building up my garage gym and was looking at decent FID benches on a budget. This fits the criteria I need: sub 18 inches from the floor, adjustable back, adjustable seat, rear wheeled with a front handle, and able to support up to 500 lbs. Dick's had a free shipping promo which this item qualified for, so I went ahead and ordered it. It cost me $201 with UPS standard shipping, scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'll be sure to post a review when it comes in.

So, what's the word on the bench?
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 6mildollarman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    So, what's the word on the bench?

So the bench came in as expected via UPS on Monday, but I didn't get around to assembling it until yesterday, and tested it out tonight with a chest workout. It's definitely a solid bench, and a class above the typical Weider/Marcy stuff. Here's my breakdown:

Assembly
    -----------
    It came in a pretty sturdy box and was packed well. The bench was pre-assembled (frame and wheels) and all I had to do was attach the back and seat pads and the adjusting pins. The bolts and washers were clearly labelled and the instructions were easy to follow, but assembly was pretty self explanatory. 6 bolts for the back pad and 3 for the seat. I also checked the other bolts on the frame to make sure all were tight (they were). Total time with a ratcheting wrench: 10 minutes.

Construction:
    ---------------
    I don't know what gauge steel is used, but it's certainly lighter than a commercial type "floating" FID. According to my scale, it weighed in at 49.5 lbs. The frame is solid, and the moving parts were smooth. As a poster pointed out, the weak point would be the where the pin sets on the steel crescent adjustable arm. This was also my concern, as its design wouldn't seem as stable as a ladder type FID. However, there was virtually no play laterally at the point of adjustment. Once the pin is set, it's locked and stable. There was a tiny bit of lateral play at the hinge where the back pad attaches to the frame. No wobble though, but only time will tell I guess. In my experience, the FIDs at 24 hr fitness/Lifetime/LA Fitness wobbled a bit more.

The pads felt pretty good, not plush at all, actually pretty stiff. It seemed like nice thick thick vinyl was used over high density foam. The seams are double stitched and looks as if it could take some abuse. My gripe with the pads are the manner the vinyl is attached underneath the board - with staples. If something were to come apart over time, it would be here at the staples.

Footprint and Dimensions
    -----------------------------
    The bench measures 54"L x 22.4"W x 17.8"H. It's not too high, which is perfect for accommodating shorter guys. I'm 5'7 and I can comfortably position myself on the bench at the FID positions including vertical. Speaking of which, the upright most position isn't quite at 90 degrees. It's probably 2 degrees shy. I didn't get a chance to measure the rear foot, but its wide enough to provide stability. I didn't like the front foot though. It's a bit small. This is where the bench would wobble if you were to sit lean forward and wiggle your butt from side to side. This bench fits nicely in my 48"x48" Get RX'd power rack. Not crowded at all, and it lay nice and flat on the floor.

Performance
    --------------
    Okay, for a budget consumer level FID, this bench really shines. I did my first chest workout tonight in the rack with flat bench press up to a single of 275lbs and incline triple at 225lbs. Every set from the warm up felt very stable. I have to admit, I was apprehensive at first, but after my first work set I knew this was a stable bench. There are 8 positions for the back pad, but I only tried out a few at incline. I don't do decline work, but just for kicks, I did a couple of sets of decline bench at 135 which was also nice and solid. The decline angle isn't steep, and it's only one adjustment in which the back pad rests on the rubber stopper. Afterwards I hit seated military presses at the vertical position. I was worried that I would experience a bit of wobble here, but there was none present under load. You have to purposefully shift your weight hard to get a wiggle.

Adjusting the positions were super smooth for both the back pad and the seat. The seat has 3 positions. The highest seat position is what I used for incline bench, and I felt locked into place. I also did dumbbell flyes with 45lb power blocks at flat and incline with no issues. Wheeling the bench around with the built in handle was a cinch. I would highly recommend placing a rubber mat (at least a treadmill mat) if your gym is in the garage or basement on bare concrete. The feet aren't covered with rubber caps and steel on concrete can be an issue.

My next test in the near future will be one arm dumbbell presses and rows to really test out the stability.

Conclusion
    ------------
    For $179.99 ($200 shipped), this is a pretty solid FID for beginner and intermediate lifters. Beginners can definitely grow into this bench and experienced lifters can press a decent amount on it. I bought this mainly for incline work since I already have a fixed flat bench. I really think that this will serve me for quite sometime as I try to get to my goal of a 275lb incline triple. This bench is rated at a max weight of 600lbs (lifter and weights) so definitely NOT a tool for heavy lifters, especially considering the crescent design of the adjustable arm. For the price, it's a great value and well worth it. Much better than other FIDs in this price range, including quite a few I've seen for a hundred dollars more.

I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow and update this post accordingly.

judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice review! This seems like a great budget option without sacrificing too much in quality. If I didn't have an FI bench already, I'd strongly consider this. It's too bad they don't make a comparable flat bench. Looking forward to the pics.

edit: FYI, it looks like you can get 10% off at Dick's by signing up for their newsletter.
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/he...er_EmailSignUp
    Last edited by judgecrandall; 09-19-2013 at 01:52 AM.

oakoen will become famous soon enough. (+50) oakoen will become famous soon enough. (+50) oakoen will become famous soon enough. (+50) oakoen will become famous soon enough. (+50) oakoen will become famous soon enough. (+50) oakoen will become famous soon enough. (+50) oakoen will become famous soon enough. (+50) oakoen will become famous soon enough. (+50) oakoen will become famous soon enough. (+50) oakoen will become famous soon enough. (+50) oakoen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Conclusion
    ------------
    For $179.99 ($200 shipped), this is a pretty solid FID for beginner and intermediate lifters. Beginners can definitely grow into this bench and experienced lifters can press a decent amount on it. I bought this mainly for incline work since I already have a fixed flat bench. I really think that this will serve me for quite sometime as I try to get to my goal of a 275lb incline triple. This bench is rated at a max weight of 600lbs (lifter and weights) so definitely NOT a tool for heavy lifters, especially considering the crescent design of the adjustable arm. For the price, it's a great value and well worth it. Much better than other FIDs in this price range, including quite a few I've seen for a hundred dollars more.

I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow and update this post accordingly.
    Thank you for this review. I might just order on this weekend.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #27 -!!!---!!!-

JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the review!

Updated review with pics

OK, I'm still a noob when it comes to posting on this forum. I thought I can just go back in and edit my original post and add pics when I hit 50 posts. D'oh on me! So I just went ahead and copied my post and added updates in **__**

So the bench came in as expected via UPS on Monday, but I didn't get around to assembling it until yesterday, and tested it out tonight with a chest workout. It's definitely a solid bench, and a class above the typical Weider/Marcy stuff. Here's my breakdown:

Assembly
    -----------
    It came in a pretty sturdy box and was packed well. The bench was pre-assembled (frame and wheels) and all I had to do was attach the back and seat pads and the adjusting pins. **I forgot to mention the 2 bolts for the rear foot.** The bolts and washers were clearly labelled and the instructions were easy to follow, but assembly was pretty self explanatory. 6 bolts for the back pad and 3 for the seat. I also checked the other bolts on the frame to make sure all were tight (they were). Total time with a ratcheting wrench: 10 minutes.

Construction:
    ---------------
    I don't know what gauge steel is used, but it's certainly lighter than a commercial type "floating" FID. According to my scale, it weighed in at 49.5 lbs. The frame is solid, and the moving parts were smooth. As a poster pointed out, the weak point would be the where the pin sets on the steel crescent adjustable arm. This was also my concern, as its design wouldn't seem as stable as a ladder type FID. However, there was virtually no play laterally at the point of adjustment. Once the pin is set, it's locked and stable. There was a tiny bit of lateral play at the hinge where the back pad attaches to the frame. No wobble though, but only time will tell I guess. In my experience, the FIDs at 24 hr fitness/Lifetime/LA Fitness wobbled a bit more.

The pads felt pretty good, not plush at all, actually pretty stiff. It seemed like nice thick thick vinyl was used over high density foam. The seams are double stitched and looks as if it could take some abuse. My gripe with the pads are the manner the vinyl is attached underneath the board - with staples. If something were to come apart over time, it would be here at the staples.

**Assembled and ready to go, incline setup in rack**

Footprint and Dimensions
    -----------------------------
    The bench measures 54"L x 22.4"W x 17.8"H. It's not too high, which is perfect for accommodating shorter guys. I'm 5'7 and I can comfortably position myself on the bench at the FID positions including vertical. Speaking of which, the upright most position isn't quite at 90 degrees. It's probably 2 degrees shy. I didn't get a chance to measure the rear foot, but its wide enough to provide stability. I didn't like the front foot though. It's a bit small. This is where the bench would wobble if you were to sit lean forward and wiggle your butt from side to side. This bench fits nicely in my 48"x48" Get RX'd power rack. Not crowded at all, and it lay nice and flat on the floor.

**Fit in a power rack**

30 degrees (my usual incline angle)

And for angles 60 degrees or more, notice that the rear base is raised off the foot to allow for placing over the rear cross brace of a rack.

**Measured the pads: seat is 18" long, back is 34" long. They taper with 12" at the widest, closest to the hinge, and 10" at the narrowest toward the ends. I actually like this design because I feel stable on my butt and lower back area above the arch, and not too wide between my thighs and shoulders.**

**Pad spacing - 3" when flat, but this was a non issue for me. The space disappears at incline.**

Performance
    --------------
    Okay, for a budget consumer level FID, this bench really shines. I did my first chest workout tonight in the rack with flat bench press up to a single of 275lbs and incline triple at 225lbs. Every set from the warm up felt very stable. I have to admit, I was apprehensive at first, but after my first work set I knew this was a stable bench. There are 8 positions for the back pad, but I only tried out a few at incline. I don't do decline work, but just for kicks, I did a couple of sets of decline bench at 135 which was also nice and solid. The decline angle isn't steep, and it's only one adjustment in which the back pad rests on the rubber stopper. Afterwards I hit seated military presses at the vertical position. I was worried that I would experience a bit of wobble here, but there was none present under load. You have to purposefully shift your weight hard to get a wiggle.

**Different positions**

Flat

Incline 30 degrees (See above rack photo)

Vertical 90(ish) degrees

Decline

Adjusting the positions were super smooth for both the back pad and the seat. The seat has 3 positions. The highest seat position is what I used for incline bench, and I felt locked into place. I also did dumbbell flyes with 45lb power blocks at flat and incline with no issues. Wheeling the bench around with the built in handle was a cinch. I would highly recommend placing a rubber mat (at least a treadmill mat) if your gym is in the garage or basement on bare concrete. The feet aren't covered with rubber caps and steel on concrete can be an issue.

**Here are the weak points captured in a couple of shots**
    The main weakness, the pop pin/crescent design may not inspire confidence in big time benchers. The staples, albeit neat, but minimal, and the small front foot could be a bit wider. Also, it could've used more welds along the area that holds the pop pin. The wiggle I was talking about happens at this hinge. However, I tightened it a bit more and it eliminated most of it. Lastly, the bare (painted) steel, hence the use of a pad underneath.

My next test in the near future will be one arm dumbbell presses and rows to really test out the stability.
    **I've since done one arm and alternating flat and incline dumbbell presses and vertical shoulder presses with no issues at all. Nice and stable!**

Conclusion
    ------------

**More than one week in, and I'm really loving this bench! The pop pins don't even worry me anymore.**

I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow and update this post accordingly. **Done!**

judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Really nice review and photos, much appreciated. I owe you reps once I'm off spread. I could see this becoming a standard recommendation for best bench on a budget - plus it's available in-store and can be tested in-person. I'm tempted to get one myself - if I didn't have the Pendlay 0-90 already (often considered the best value for a commercial-level FI bench), I probably would have ordered this already. It's too bad they don't make a comparable flat bench.

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice review and photos!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Originally Posted by judgecrandall View Post
    Really nice review and photos, much appreciated. I owe you reps once I'm off spread. I could see this becoming a standard recommendation for best bench on a budget - plus it's available in-store and can be tested in-person. I'm tempted to get one myself - if I didn't have the Pendlay 0-90 already (often considered the best value for a commercial-level FI bench), I probably would have ordered this already. It's too bad they don't make a comparable flat bench.
    Thanks! For $200 shipped, you get quite the bang for your buck with this bench. We don't have a Dick's Sporting Goods in Houston, so I couldn't test it out first. I just went with the info on this thread, and I'm glad I did. Those that are in the market for an FID should check it out in store if they live near a Dick's. You can also get it a bit cheaper like you mentioned, by signing up for the newsletter (or free membership). They're always running free shipping promos too.

Nice review and photos!
    Thanks, and thanks for starting this thread and posting info on it. If I haven't come across this thread, I might've ended up with a crappy bench or might still be scouring the pages of Craigslist. I agree with you about eliminating the decline so that the flat position rests on the rubber stopper and frame. If this were the case, the bench would handle a much higher load at flat and would make a decent option for heavy benchers. The decline position would be the least used on this bench because I don't do any decline work at all.

jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with you about eliminating the decline so that the flat position rests on the rubber stopper and frame. If this were the case, the bench would handle a much higher load at flat and would make a decent option for heavy benchers. The decline position would be the least used on this bench because I don't do any decline work at all.
    It used to be called the Proviction/Protocol/Fitness Gear Utility Bench and didn't have decline. They added the decline and increased the price and renamed it the Pro Utility Bench.

http://reviews.dickssportinggoods.co...ws/reviews.htm

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Decline
    Great review. Since the bench doesn't have a foot bar, did you have a sliding down problem when bench pressing in decline? I remember someone on this board was telling not long ago that a slight decline was a good thing when bench pressing.
    Harmonia Early Music: http://www.harmoniaearlymusic.org
    SymphonyCast: http://symphonycast.org
    Performance Today: http://performancetoday.publicradio.org
    Studio360: http://www.studio360.org
    RadioLab: http://www.radiolab.org
    TED Radio Hour: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/
    This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org
    On Being: http://www.onbeing.org
    Snap Judgment: http://www.snapjudgment.org/radio-show
    Radio IQ: http://wvtf.org
    LibriVox: https://librivox.org/

Originally Posted by jormone View Post
    It used to be called the Proviction/Protocol/Fitness Gear Utility Bench and didn't have decline. They added the decline and increased the price and renamed it the Pro Utility Bench.

http://reviews.dickssportinggoods.co...ws/reviews.htm
    I remember Stasher1 saying that earlier in the thread. IMO, I prefer the design of the older model you posted. If they still had this one available I would've opted for it instead. At flat, the pad rests on the frame, the front foot is wider, and the are rubber cups over the foot ends. Understandable they added the decline to make it into a true FID in the redesign. However, I don't know why they eliminated the wider front foot and rubber caps and raised the price. All in all, still a great buy.

Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    Great review. Since the bench doesn't have a foot bar, did you have a sliding down problem when bench pressing in decline? I remember someone on this board was telling not long ago that a slight decline was a good thing when bench pressing.
    Thanks! I only tried it out in decline with 135 lbs and the seat flat. I had no sliding problems whatsoever. I think it's because the decline angle isn't much and bench height is low enough where I can keep my feet planted flat on the ground. Today is chest day, so I'll try decline again with 225 lbs with the seat both flat and also raised at the first adjustment hole to match the decline and will report back.

I remember Stasher1 saying that earlier in the thread. IMO, I prefer the design of the older model you posted. If they still had this one available I would've opted for it instead. At flat, the pad rests on the frame, the front foot is wider, and the are rubber cups over the foot ends. Understandable they added the decline to make it into a true FID in the redesign. However, I don't know why they eliminated the wider front foot and rubber caps and raised the price. All in all, still a great buy.
    I actually prefer the current feet over the previous models. I don't want anything to get in the way of my feet when bench pressing or doing dumbbell work. I also like the fact that they got rid of the rubber end caps that always wind up lost once the bench has changed hands a couple times. I don't care for the decline option though. I don't do any decline work and would much rather have a more solid bench in the flat position.

I'm currently on my way to a local mall to do a bit of shopping and have dinner with my wife and plan on checking this bench out at the Dick's in that area. I already hit the DSG closest to my house a week ago and they don't stock it.

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I only tried it out in decline with 135 lbs and the seat flat. I had no sliding problems whatsoever. I think it's because the decline angle isn't much and bench height is low enough where I can keep my feet planted flat on the ground. Today is chest day, so I'll try decline again with 225 lbs with the seat both flat and also raised at the first adjustment hole to match the decline and will report back.
    The slight decline might be an added bonus then for some. Curious what would you say after trying the decline with heavier weight. Thanks.
    Harmonia Early Music: http://www.harmoniaearlymusic.org
    SymphonyCast: http://symphonycast.org
    Performance Today: http://performancetoday.publicradio.org
    Studio360: http://www.studio360.org
    RadioLab: http://www.radiolab.org
    TED Radio Hour: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/
    This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org
    On Being: http://www.onbeing.org
    Snap Judgment: http://www.snapjudgment.org/radio-show
    Radio IQ: http://wvtf.org
    LibriVox: https://librivox.org/

tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have the original one I am looking to sell (locally, for anyone in South Florida). $125.00 takes it. It's in perfect shape.

prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000)
    it looks like you guys like it for flat bench. That's usually the issue with these benches obviously

will probably order one with a coupon

Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    The slight decline might be an added bonus then for some. Curious what would you say after trying the decline with heavier weight. Thanks.
    I did my chest workout last night with the usual flat and incline pressing and everything felt good. Then I tested it out with decline at 225 with 5 reps on each of the positions:

Seat raised to first notch - This was to match the decline angle, although the seat and back pad didn't form a straight line. The seat was a few cm higher at the front which made the back part (closest to the back pad) a bit recessed. That made the edge of bottom of the seat pad (where your lower back sits against) stick up a little. I thought I was going to slide a bit with 225lbs, especially with my butt higher and a good sweat going. However, I didn't slide at all. I think my positioning may have helped since my butt was on the seat and being held in place where the edge of the back pad sticks out. I'll post a pic so you get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Even at my height of 5'7 my feet were able to be flat on the ground, but I found that the press was more comfortable when just the balls of my feet were planted.

Seat flat - I preferred this position because my butt was on a plane on the seat where my feet felt more powerful planted flat on the ground. This position gave me a little bit more of an exaggerated arch, kinda like that of a powerlifter. 225lb felt good, no sliding at all. I felt strong at this angle, so I added 2 10s and 2 5s for a total of 255 and hit a not-so-perfect PR double on the decline. Even with my jerky motions, I didn't slide one bit, and the bech felt super stable. Hmmm... I might start looking into decline benching lol!

IMO, heavy decline benchers should have little issue with this bench considering the lack of foot holds.

I finally had an opportunity to check one of these benches out last night and my overall impression of it is the same as the others'. It appears to be a decent low-budget option for many home gym owners.

I found the adjustments smooth with little/no play in the pivot points, and it's very solid once the pop-pins are tightened. The pads were nice and firm and the overall fit and finish were beyond what you'd typically expect from a bench in this price range. My only real gripe is the bench's height in the flat position. It's lower than many of the competition's benches, but still taller than I'd like for my height so it's not a bench you're likely to find in my home gym anytime soon.

Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    I actually prefer the current feet over the previous models. I don't want anything to get in the way of my feet when bench pressing or doing dumbbell work. I also like the fact that they got rid of the rubber end caps that always wind up lost once the bench has changed hands a couple times. I don't care for the decline option though. I don't do any decline work and would much rather have a more solid bench in the flat position.

I'm currently on my way to a local mall to do a bit of shopping and have dinner with my wife and plan on checking this bench out at the Dick's in that area. I already hit the DSG closest to my house a week ago and they don't stock it.
    Did you get to check it out at DSG? If so, what did you think? I'd like others' take on it since this is my first consumer level bench, and my only comparisons are my experience with commercial benches at the gyms I've lifted at.

Edit: oops, looks like we posted at the same time. Thanks for the feedback, and yes, it's a great bench for home gym owners on a budget.
    Last edited by 6mildollarman; 09-29-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Keep in mind that you can get a powerline or body solid bench for similar money new. And you can get a much nicer bench new for around $100 more. In the used market, you could get a similar quality bench (and maybe even a high end bench) for similar money.

I think it has a place for someone who's buying new and who doesn't want a Powerline/Body Solid bench and doesn't want to spend $100 more.

The stability of a bench is very important to me. I can't stand up and down or side to side wobble. For this reason, I suspect that a ladder type adjuster might be best for me. At one time, I had an older white Powerblock Sport bench and it had absolutely no wobble at all. I regret selling it. The new grey Powerblock benches aren't as well constructed.

Keep in mind that you can get a powerline or body solid bench for similar money new. And you can get a much nicer bench new for around $100 more. In the used market, you could get a similar quality bench (and maybe even a high end bench) for similar money.

I think it has a place for someone who's buying new and who doesn't want a Powerline/Body Solid bench and doesn't want to spend $100 more.

The stability of a bench is very important to me. I can't stand up and down or side to side wobble. For this reason, I suspect that a ladder type adjuster might be best for me. At one time, I had an older white Powerblock Sport bench and it had absolutely no wobble at all. I regret selling it. The new grey Powerblock benches aren't as well constructed.
    Are you talking about the Pendlay 0-90 for $100 more? It's base price $300, but that's before shipping. I think it will end up between $350-400 for most people after shipping, which is about twice as much as the Fitness Gear bench after coupon. I haven't used many Powerline/Body Solid benches, but it seems like the Fitness Gear bench is a bit nicer at a similar/lower price than comparable Powerline/BS benches.

If I were just starting out with lifting and home gym equipment, I'd probably opt for this over the Pendlay or Powerline/Body Solid's offerings. But as always, buying used is going to give you the best bang for your buck.

Originally Posted by judgecrandall View Post
    Are you talking about the Pendlay 0-90 for $100 more? It's base price $300, but that's before shipping. I think it will end up between $350-400 for most people after shipping, which is about twice as much as the Fitness Gear bench after coupon. I haven't used many Powerline/Body Solid benches, but it seems like the Fitness Gear bench is a bit nicer at a similar/lower price than comparable Powerline/BS benches.

If I were just starting out with lifting and home gym equipment, I'd probably opt for this over the Pendlay or Powerline/Body Solid's offerings. But as always, buying used is going to give you the best bang for your buck.
    I had this bench in mind at around $315 including shipping. The ad has been up for over a year on CL so I think it's readily available. Googling the phone number turns up Fitness Factory Outlet.

Will ship to you for free. Body Solid SFID325 Adjustable Bench for sale. Only $315 with shipping included and no tax !!! Reg. price of $520. Adjustable back pad and seat pad for flat-incline-and decline exercises. Thick, durable padding. Transport wheels for easy movement. Commercial grade - 1000 pound weight capacity. Also available is the Body Solid GPR370 Multi-Press Rack for only $450 with free shipping!!!!! Brand new unit in box - regular price $700 !! (weights sold separately) Email for details or call 630-978-7525.

I had this bench in mind at around $315 including shipping. The ad has been up for over a year on CL so I think it's readily available. Googling the phone number turns up Fitness Factory Outlet.

Ah, that is a great price. I haven't used the Fitness Gear bench, so I can't speak to that, but I have used the BS SFID325. I wasn't a big fan, I found the pads to be way too hard and slippery. That being said, $315 with no tax and free shipping is a helluva deal for this bench. Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen this it this cheap before.

Sorry for assuming you were talking about the Pendlay bench. I just see so many people reference it as $300 while ignoring shipping costs.