markelim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markelim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Critique P/P/L Split

Hey guys, been meaning to mix up my 5 day split with a new program (push,pull,legs)

Its based of Coolcicada's Push/Pull/Legs routine here on the forums so I've just added a few of my favorite exercises. Aiming for rep ranges from 3 x 8-12

Could you guys give me some pointers and see how well my program fairs.

Also I have no idea where to put the deadlift and upright standing barbell rows, suggestions?

This is the first variation (A) of this workout and I would like to have a B workout, so let me know any exercises I should have.

Focusing on overall building more muscle mass and developing wider shoulders/back.

Don't bash it too hard

Pull:

Barbell row
    Lat pulldown
    Seated cable row
    Facepull
    Barbell bicep curl
    DB bicep curl
    Preacher curl

Push:

Bench
    Military Press
    Incline Bench
    Side lateral raise
    Skullcrushers
    Triceps cable pushdown
    Dips

Legs:

Squat
    Leg extension
    Hamstring curl
    Lunges
    Calf raises

namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Great start.

Personally, though, what sticks out is that you have three similar ROM bicep exercises on the same day. Switch one of them for pullups or chinups. Those will build better bodyweight strength (and think about putting it first or 2nd in workout as they are max effort...typically).

Push seems okay, it might be too much volume on the triceps if you're a beginner. See how it is.

Legs...ehhh...you should do Squat AND Deadlift same day. Do a 5x5 rep scheme. And if you're going to do that, remove a crap exercise like hamstring curl.
    Dallas Cowboys Crew

Dirty South Crew

Misc Cigar Crew

Competition Lifts - 590D/345B/525S

markelim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markelim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by davetherave35 View Post
    Great start.

Personally, though, what sticks out is that you have three similar ROM bicep exercises on the same day. Switch one of them for pullups or chinups. Those will build better bodyweight strength (and think about putting it first or 2nd in workout as they are max effort...typically).

Push seems okay, it might be too much volume on the triceps if you're a beginner. See how it is.

Legs...ehhh...you should do Squat AND Deadlift same day. Do a 5x5 rep scheme. And if you're going to do that, remove a crap exercise like hamstring curl.
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Yeah I definitely agree about the bicep curls being too similar, will try and replace them with pullups. Will remove the dips, just added them end as I thought I was under training them. Deadlift with legs day ? Sounds interesting, keen to try it.

How does putting the standing upright row on the pull day sound ?

JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    id put dead lifts on leg day, after your squats

its personal preference tho, i find my lower back is too worn out from deads to get a decent back day in after wards, especially bent over BB rows which are a fav of mine
    Twinkcel fitness log

want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally I think leg curls are alright. Leg extension on the other hand is a crap exercise.
    Push seems alright. Maybe remove Pushdown if triceps are too beat at the end of the workout.
    For Pull, I would switch pulldown for chinup/pull up. And only keep one of those three supinated curls and add in hammer curls.
    For Legs,
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Lunges
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raises

namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by markelim View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Yeah I definitely agree about the bicep curls being too similar, will try and replace them with pullups. Will remove the dips, just added them end as I thought I was under training them. Deadlift with legs day ? Sounds interesting, keen to try it.

How does putting the standing upright row on the pull day sound ?
    I personally hate upright row because it kills my shoulders (they are not in a great place). I don't think it's a phenomenal exercise regardless. I would leave it out now, and as you progress you can try it out.
    Dallas Cowboys Crew

Dirty South Crew

Misc Cigar Crew

Competition Lifts - 590D/345B/525S

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would add an RDL so you have a hip extension exercise. Also, add shrugs for upper traps.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

Trying out the squat-deadlift routine today, concerned about being to work out after squating thus sacrificing form.

@jamesA1990: Been meaning to work on my BB rows, been doing Tbar rows in place of that.

@davetherave35: Understood, thanks. Ill just stick to the DB side laterals.

@partyrocking: Will try and work that in for maybe a alternate leg workout and shrugs into my pull workout.

Ill try and post the updated workout sometime this week

Thanks for all the help again guys !