Awrson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Back problem, winged scapula? help!!!

Hi guys my back is *ucked up. See pics:
    http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6752/romj.jpg
    http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5108/gdox.jpg

Please help me correct this problem! What exercises do you suggest (hope someone who solved this problem or an experienced trainer can guide me to the correct way)?
    I can make pull ups too, I heard they help fixing this problem (my winged scapula doesn't seem to affect my strenght do to exercises or give me any pain).

keyamo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First it takes time!! My 14 yr old is like that only worse cause he's LEAN with 3% bf. Sports physiotherapist has him doing Y T M's as I call it.

Lay face down on an incline bench, no weights or very light to start, straighten out you arms to a Y position, lower towards the ground and raise for 3 sets of 10. Now extend arms out to your sides, T position, repeat the motion of down and up. Next move arms towards to hips, W position, and do it all over again.

Another one you can do is scapula retraction, grab a high position cable with one hand and kneel facing the machine but a few feet back so it's already outstretched. Pay VERY close attention to what muscle you using and with your straight arm just retract the scapula (aka your wing) and release. It's a very simple and minimal movement, nothing heavy.

Patience and consistency is key. Chaz was doing it twice a week for months. His dragon wings are still there but much less pronounced

Good luck
    You know you had a great leg day when you wish the bathroom had handicap rails!

Thank you! Will they still work on me because I am 20 years old?
    Originally Posted by keyamo View Post
    First it takes time!! My 14 yr old is like that only worse cause he's LEAN with 3% bf. Sports physiotherapist has him doing Y T M's as I call it.

Lay face down on an incline bench, no weights or very light to start, straighten out you arms to a Y position, lower towards the ground and raise for 3 sets of 10. Now extend arms out to your sides, T position, repeat the motion of down and up. Next move arms towards to hips, W position, and do it all over again.

Another one you can do is scapula retraction, grab a high position cable with one hand and kneel facing the machine but a few feet back so it's already outstretched. Pay VERY close attention to what muscle you using and with your straight arm just retract the scapula (aka your wing) and release. It's a very simple and minimal movement, nothing heavy.

Patience and consistency is key. Chaz was doing it twice a week for months. His dragon wings are still there but much less pronounced

Good luck

tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Do not do a single exercise until u find out for sure what is going on.. If it is caused by a weak serratus exercises are fine but if it is caused by nerve damage u can worsen it and make it permanent.. Push against a wall with your hands at shoulder height.. Take a pic of your back then
    Instagram: thomas_poucher

yes i've tried doing incline first

reps on recharge.. demonwareltd, flang, TTimmerman, wala, Canuck77

Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
    Do not do a single exercise until u find out for sure what is going on.. If it is caused by a weak serratus exercises are fine but if it is caused by nerve damage u can worsen it and make it permanent.. Push against a wall with your hands at shoulder height.. Take a pic of your back then
    Here is the photo mate: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7303/ned0.jpg
    (This is after workout, after pull ups 20 minutes later)

Please tell me if it is a nerve damage or weak serratus...
    Thank you for your help!

tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    sorry i should have included more detail.. (sorry i was on the step mill at the time of my response)

push with your hands in front of you.. hands at should height.. arms basically straight with a slight bend *arms extended*

the only way to know if it is as a result of nerve damage or weak serratus is to actually have the nerves tested at a neurologist.. best case scenario u waste money at the dr.. worst case you find out it is nerve damage but at least now u wont risk making it permanent
    Instagram: thomas_poucher

yes i've tried doing incline first

reps on recharge.. demonwareltd, flang, TTimmerman, wala, Canuck77

Np. I made some more photos, hope one of them is correct of what you asked me. Here:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/203/dc5g.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/btz5.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/3eoh.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/sjfq.jpg/
    http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9772/b3et.jpg

Thank you for you help and I really want to know if it is a nerve damage or muscle problem... I have several weeks doing pull ups but still can't see any improvment yet

Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
    sorry i should have included more detail.. (sorry i was on the step mill at the time of my response)

push with your hands in front of you.. hands at should height.. arms basically straight with a slight bend *arms extended*

the only way to know if it is as a result of nerve damage or weak serratus is to actually have the nerves tested at a neurologist.. best case scenario u waste money at the dr.. worst case you find out it is nerve damage but at least now u wont risk making it permanent

Broscientist88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Broscientist88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Broscientist88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Broscientist88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Broscientist88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Broscientist88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Broscientist88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Broscientist88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Broscientist88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Broscientist88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Broscientist88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Curious, does this effect your rib cage at all?

Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had the same problem due to me being an idiot when I was younger and just working out my chest. But besides that, my pt had showed me a few excersises to fix it. One of the is and incline push-up with a bench in front of you. Your on your knees when you do this and as you go own flex and squeeze your shoulder blades Down and in. Hold this for a few seconds and return to the starting positin. Once they start getting stronger increase the angle between you'd and the bench move up to you feet. The other excersise is regular push up from your knees. But just go down and squeeze your shoulder blades own and in. Hope it gets better. Then just work on your back more too good luck

Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dre3242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Broscientist88 View Post
    The muscle connects to your ribs but it shouldn't effect it

Thank you for the reply! Did you solve this problem yourself and how long did it take? I used to make pushups only before when i was 17 years old(maybe i worked out chest too and sitting on pc too much). Please tell me all the exercises you followed to fixthe winged scapula.... Thanks
    Originally Posted by Dre3242 View Post
    I had the same problem due to me being an idiot when I was younger and just working out my chest. But besides that, my pt had showed me a few excersises to fix it. One of the is and incline push-up with a bench in front of you. Your on your knees when you do this and as you go own flex and squeeze your shoulder blades Down and in. Hold this for a few seconds and return to the starting positin. Once they start getting stronger increase the angle between you'd and the bench move up to you feet. The other excersise is regular push up from your knees. But just go down and squeeze your shoulder blades own and in. Hope it gets better. Then just work on your back more too good luck

Originally Posted by Broscientist88 View Post
    No mate I dont feel any pain or anything weird at all...

adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Honestly it could be you just have a weak back and poor posture. I had this problem and it was from years of playing video games without maintaining proper posture. Your scapula's look fairly even. I think if it were nerve damage you'd see a much more pronounced winging on one side (i have never seen someone damage BOTH LTN's). They aren't even winging that much (just appears to be because your back is not very muscular). It might also be more of a protracted shoulder girdle than scapula winging.

IMO the best thing you could do is start doing barbell rows 3x a week. Strengthen the back and it will start to balance out with the front.

Thank you mate! Also does pullups do good to fix this problem or they make it even worse?
    Originally Posted by adgattoni View Post
    Honestly it could be you just have a weak back and poor posture. I had this problem and it was from years of playing video games without maintaining proper posture. Your scapula's look fairly even. I think if it were nerve damage you'd see a much more pronounced winging on one side (i have never seen someone damage BOTH LTN's). They aren't even winging that much (just appears to be because your back is not very muscular). It might also be more of a protracted shoulder girdle than scapula winging.

IMO the best thing you could do is start doing barbell rows 3x a week. Strengthen the back and it will start to balance out with the front.