sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100)

Trying to lose weight and tone with some muscle gains

Hello everyone. My name is Rob and I began working out again for 4-5 days a week after a long hiatus of 3 years. I was working two jobs and finally quit one of them for more personal happiness. I am hoping to maintain a regular, healthy routine and lifestyle, but I need some guidance.

Some quick points about me:

*My workouts began in April 2013. I'm not entirely certain on what I should be doing; at this point I am doing a very basic 30 minute intense routine, half of which is cardio.

*In order to stick with this routine, my workouts must fit my schedule. Unfortunately, that is only during my lunch break during the work week, so I am limited to 30 minutes. I eat during the latter 30 minutes of the hour.

*I don't get days to rest other than weekends. Because of my limited schedule, I try to workout mon-fri, but sometimes I drop one day off of that routine.

*I'm a chef, but I have a good personal diet. I'd say 8 on a scale from 1-10 as far as health is concerned. Lots of veggies, whole grains, nuts, seeds, lean meats, fruit.

*I homebrew and drink beer regularly but within reason. Brewing is a passion of mine and a part of my identity. I don't overdo it, nor am I an alcoholic.

*My arms are nice, but I would like to reach that point where they are always rock solid and defined when not flexing.

*I really want to focus on building my chest and traps. My arms and back are already decent. What recommendations do you have for me?

*Abs are a huge concern for me. I used to overdo it back in the day and now I'm concerned that crunches and sit up type exercises will only make my belly be more obvious. I was hoping the cardio would help me to tone that area.

*BodySpace says for my goals (lose weight and tone up with slight muscle gains) I should be doing mostly cardio. My target is to lose 12 lbs. fat & gain 3 lbs. of muscle. I believe I'm near 22% body fat. I'd like to cut this in half.

*I can gain muscle quite easily without supplements, but I experience muscle aching even when not switching up my routine. Should I be taking something for muscle recovery & basic protein?

I would be interested in what you guys have to say. I'm not looking to be Arnold or an Olympic athlete; just trying to be in thin & healthy shape with some noticeable muscle definition. Any positive instruction for someone new to the forums would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by sixxpoint; 05-07-2013 at 05:56 PM.

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    *there is no such thing as toning a muscle

*you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time

*chances are that you do not "gain" muscle easily

*get on a proven routine
    BW: 175

Squat: 305
    Bench: 255
    Deadlift: 455
    OHP: 175

sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by mcmoon View Post
    *there is no such thing as toning a muscle
    I never said there was. I said one of my goals was toning.

*you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time
    News to me.

*chances are that you do not "gain" muscle easily
    My profile picture was week 3 of working out after three years of absolutely NO working out.

*get on a proven routine
    Thanks! Recommendations?? Keep in mind, I don't have your build or your goals.

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sixxpoint View Post
    I never said there was. I said one of my goals was toning.

News to me.

My profile picture was week 3 of working out after three years of absolutely NO working out.

Thanks! Recommendations?? Keep in mind, I don't have your build or your goals.
    *OK let me rephrase, there is no such thing as toning.

*It is a well known fact that is sadly unknown to most of the public

*Not sure where you started from plus since I am assuming you were in the process or just got done working out when you took the pic you probably have a pump(not debating that you may or may not have a good base already)

*As far as recomendations go there are tons of great programs babylovers starting strength(BLSS), Starting strength, wendlers 5/3/1, Stronglifts, madcowsl and a whole lot more. (not saying these specifically are going to get you the results you want but they are all very solid programs)

*I dont have any pics so you dont really know what my build is (just my weight and height) or my goals.

Also just to add I am really not trying to be a jerk or anything was just trying to answer some of your questions directly as possible. Hopefully some more people will jump in that are far more knowledgable than me.

*OK let me rephrase, there is no such thing as toning.

*It is a well known fact that is sadly unknown to most of the public

*Not sure where you started from plus since I am assuming you were in the process or just got done working out when you took the pic you probably have a pump(not debating that you may or may not have a good base already)

*As far as recomendations go there are tons of great programs babylovers starting strength(BLSS), Starting strength, wendlers 5/3/1, Stronglifts, madcowsl and a whole lot more. (not saying these specifically are going to get you the results you want but they are all very solid programs)

*I dont have any pics so you dont really know what my build is (just my weight and height) or my goals.

Also just to add I am really not trying to be a jerk or anything was just trying to answer some of your questions directly as possible. Hopefully some more people will jump in that are far more knowledgable than me.
    It's cool. I just saw your bench, deadlift, squat, etc. stats and someone with my build & goals is not realistically hoping for those numbers. I appreciate the directness. I'm just trying to understand things better and constructive elaborate advice really helps. I've been curious about having this illusive "tone" body full of lean muscle for the past 10 years, and now it's time to stick with the goal. Lastly, the pic is post-workout at the 3 week mark. Not impressive or anything, but I just want you to know that I wasn't starting with a worthless figure. My height/weight/BMI register as slightly fatter on paper than I actually am. I used to work out hard as a kid (ages 12-15) with my uncle who was a strong man. I'm not sure if that had any effect on my body type or height. My dad was 6'4'' and I'm pushing 5'7''.
    Last edited by sixxpoint; 05-07-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: elusive not illusive

It's cool. I just saw your bench, deadlift, squat, etc. stats and someone with my build & goals is not realistically hoping for those numbers. I appreciate the directness. I'm just trying to understand things better and constructive elaborate advice really helps. I've been curious about having this illusive "tone" body full of lean muscle for the past 10 years, and now it's time to stick with the goal. Lastly, the pic is post-workout at the 3 week mark. Not impressive or anything, but I just want you to know that I wasn't starting with a worthless figure. My height/weight/BMI register as slightly fatter on paper than I actually am. I used to work out hard as a kid (ages 12-15) with my uncle who was a strong man. I'm not sure if that had any effect on my body type or height. My dad was 6'4'' and I'm pushing 5'7''.
    Let me explain the toning phenomenon: It is a combination of having some decent muscle and low fat to show off the muscle. Thats it. So really if you lose weight you will probably looked "toned"

Honestly my numbers aren't all that impressive(not really in anyway competitive) but what I have done and what many normal people that go to the gym dont do(excluding many on this site) is get on a proven program, stick with it and have only made alterations when I had the experience and knowledge to do so. With that said you could probably pass up my numbers with consistent training fairly easily especially since you are shorter than me.

Now as far as muscle gain and fat loss goes: you will only build muscle when in a caloric surplus so really if you arent gaining weight then you arent building muscle and yes you will gain fat during this time as well. you will only lose fat if you are in a caloric deficit. The only other thing you might want to know is to calculate your Macros(macro-nutrients) and hit them for better results. For the most part thats it, people and the media try to make it way more complicated than it really is.

Let me explain the toning phenomenon: It is a combination of having some decent muscle and low fat to show off the muscle. Thats it. So really if you lose weight you will probably looked "toned"

Honestly my numbers aren't all that impressive(not really in anyway competitive) but what I have done and what many normal people that go to the gym dont do(excluding many on this site) is get on a proven program, stick with it and have only made alterations when I had the experience and knowledge to do so. With that said you could probably pass up my numbers with consistent training fairly easily especially since you are shorter than me.

Now as far as muscle gain and fat loss goes: you will only build muscle when in a caloric surplus so really if you arent gaining weight then you arent building muscle and yes you will gain fat during this time as well. you will only lose fat if you are in a caloric deficit. The only other thing you might want to know is to calculate your Macros(macro-nutrients) and hit them for better results. For the most part thats it, people and the media try to make it way more complicated than it really is.
    Yeah, I knew that about toning. I thought it was just simple to put my goals into one word: toning.

While you're numbers aren't impressive for competitions, they are not realistic for someone who is 5'6" / 160... at least in my mind and for my goals, which are not necessarily strongman goals. All I know is that I've somewhat maintained weight in a matter of over a month despite working out 4-5 days a week on a consistent basis. I want to lose it and tone up. I was hoping this didn't require 6 miles a day and little to no weight training. The only results I've seen in 5 weeks time has been from the weight training. My entire upper body looks nice... I could use a stronger chest... but the belly and face fat are still there.
    Last edited by sixxpoint; 05-07-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Yeah, I knew that about toning. I thought it was just simple to put my goals into one word: toning.

While you're numbers aren't impressive for competitions, they are not realistic for someone who is 5'6" / 160... at least in my mind and for my goals, which are not necessarily strongman goals. All I know is that I've somewhat maintained weight in a matter of a month despite working out 4-5 days a week on a consistent basis. I want to lose it and tone up. I was hoping this didn't require 6 miles a day and little to no weight training.
    ok as long as you know what your talking about when you say toning fine.

If you want to lose weight eat less. Many people think "oh I am going to workout and lose weight and because I am working out I won't have to change my diet". Honestly that would work if you ate the same amount of food you were eating before you started working out but when you start working out your body is going to want the calories you just burned off back so without knowing many and most people eat more and end up not seeing any results. Cardio is in no way required to lose weight. For instance I started at 160 pounds, bulked up to 190 and now am currently cutting(currently at around 175) and have not done any cardio. It all comes down to calories in vs calories out.

you can always out eat your workout.

Honestly, I eat less than 2000 calories a day (including drinks). And it's not bad food. Short of starving myself, quitting alcohol altogether, and living a miserable life, I don't know what I could do differently with my diet. My downfall has been cardio. I know this... but I don't want to lose muscle... or even maintain it. I want minimal gains. Nothing flashy, but maybe losing weight will show it more.

Honestly, I eat less than 2000 calories a day (including drinks). And it's not bad food. Short of starving myself, quitting alcohol altogether, and living a miserable life, I don't know what I could do differently with my diet. My downfall has been cardio. I know this... but I don't want to lose muscle... or even maintain it. I want minimal gains. Nothing flashy, but maybe losing weight will show it more.
    No offense but if you are not weighing and recording what you eat then you are probably eating more than you believe. Your body doesnt just defy the laws of thermodynamics.

No offense but if you are not weighing and recording what you eat then you are probably eating more than you believe. Your body doesnt just defy the laws of thermodynamics.
    I am though. It averages 1600-1800 / day. Sometimes less, but never more. I am a chef after all so I know food rather well. I really don't think the answer for someone who hasn't worked out in years, yet maintained the same weight, is a change in diet. Especially if they aren't eating bad foods, or too much food in general.
    Last edited by sixxpoint; 05-07-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am though. It averages 1600-1800 / day. Sometimes less, but never more. I am a chef after all so I know food rather well. I really don't think the answer for someone who hasn't worked out in years, yet maintained the same weight, is a change in diet. Especially if they aren't eating bad foods, or too much food in general.
    Not really. There is zero chance you are eating 1600-1800 calories a day and not losing weight. Read these links:

Calorie Counting Advice
    - Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything that you eat.
    - b]Count calories[/b] using a site like MyFitnessPal. Here's how to count properly.
    - http://www.acaloriecounter.com/food-labels.php
    - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=119482931

You were definitely right. The calorie intake from food and drink was neglectfully undershot by me. For the past week, I drastically lowered to 1700-1800 calories from food and I'm netting 1300-1500 calories/day with my workouts. I already dropped 3-4 lbs. Myfitnesspal helped a lot in this regard and I already had a digital kitchen scale so I've been weighing everything. My pie chart used to favor Fats, then Carbs, then Protein... and now it is heavier on the Protein, then Fats, then Carbs. Thanks guys.

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just remember, do not use net calories in my fitness pal for your goal. It make some rather poor assumptions about how many calories a given amount of exercise will burn. Just worry about hitting your minimums on protein and fat and hitting an overall daily caloric goal. Then let the scale guide you. Tweak your calorie intake to achieve a weight lose of about 1lb per week assuming you are trying to lose. Once you are happy with your cut and want to focus on adding muscle you will want to slowly increase your daily calories until you are gaining about .5 lb per week.

Originally Posted by Mdenatale View Post
    Just remember, do not use net calories in my fitness pal for your goal. It make some rather poor assumptions about how many calories a given amount of exercise will burn. Just worry about hitting your minimums on protein and fat and hitting an overall daily caloric goal. Then let the scale guide you. Tweak your calorie intake to achieve a weight lose of about 1lb per week assuming you are trying to lose. Once you are happy with your cut and want to focus on adding muscle you will want to slowly increase your daily calories until you are gaining about .5 lb per week.
    I record calories burned from what the actual machine provides. I usually update the distance as well. I track my workout progress on BB.com, too.

I also noticed myfitnesspal's goals for my carbs/fats/pros were way off. In order to update them, you have to sign onto their actual site (not the mobile app). Then after the changes, it syncs. Now I'm targeting 140-160 g protein/day at 0.9-1.0 g/lb. My fats are roughly .45/g per lb. and my carbs fill out the rest. Last weeks 5 day net was 1470 cals. I didn't get much protein that week, hovering around 80-90 g/day, but I'm upping it this week and lessening the fats and carbs as stated.

Thanks for the additional advice.
    Last edited by sixxpoint; 05-13-2013 at 11:00 AM.