skinch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Im 5'3 122lbs and new to Keto, am I doing the right thing?

Hi there

This is my first Keto forum thread and I’m new to the Keto diet.

Due to health I've been advised that I need to reduce my carb and sugar intake and stay away from basically all the crap that goes into real food. My initial thoughts was that the Atkins diet was the only option for me but then I heard about the Keto diet which seems much more realistic for a long term way of eating.

However there is so much information on this forum that I’m kind of lost!

I’m female, 5ft 3 and 122lbs. I’m not sure about my body fat but I’m guessing around 21%, slim but still that annoying layer of fat over my abs if you know what I mean. My previous diet has always been low calories and eat fairly clean, so mostly I would eat 1250-1500 cals per day but this is an excruciating plan to live with long term!

From what I can tell so far is that there are a lot of people who want to lose a lot of weight on the Keto plan or people that are extremely active. As I don’t think I've got much weight to loose (my goal is 115lbs ideally) I don’t want to guess how to do the plan and ruin all my efforts I do with HIIT 4 times a week.

The BB Keto calculator says I should be eating:

Protein Per Day 96 grams or 386 calories.
    Fat Per Day 147-174 grams or 1322-1566 calories.
    Protein Per Meal 24 grams or 97 calories.
    Fat Per Meal 37-44 grams or 331-392 calories.

Should I use a diet tracker on my iPhone to track this?
    How do I go about setting up a meal plan? (I’m rubbish at understanding macros)
    What should my realistic goal be?
    How will this affect my workouts and energy levels?
    Can I use a protein powder on the Keto plan?

Help please!?!?

paulup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by skinch View Post
    Hi there

Due to health I've been advised that I need to reduce my carb and sugar intake and stay away from basically all the crap that goes into real food. My initial thoughts was that the Atkins diet was the only option for me but then I heard about the Keto diet which seems much more realistic for a long term way of eating.

I’m female, 5ft 3 and 122lbs. I’m not sure about my body fat but I’m guessing around 21%, slim but still that annoying layer of fat over my abs if you know what I mean. My previous diet has always been low calories and eat fairly clean, so mostly I would eat 1250-1500 cals per day but this is an excruciating plan to live with long term!

From what I can tell so far is that there are a lot of people who want to lose a lot of weight on the Keto plan or people that are extremely active. As I don’t think I've got much weight to loose (my goal is 115lbs ideally) I don’t want to guess how to do the plan and ruin all my efforts I do with HIIT 4 times a week.

Help please!?!?
    You really need specifics on your LBM, at least something better than a guess. Run through some of the online calculators that require a bunch of measurements and post your number. That won't be perfect, but it is better than a guess.

Definitely use a diet tracker, and weight everything on a digital scale, don't just use the nutrition facts and measuring cups.
    Don't worry about the fat/protein per meal, look at the whole day, it will make life much easier. Realistically, as a woman who doesn't have much to lose to begin with, aim for 2lbs a month and eat at a 200-500cal deficit from your TDEE. See this article, and take the time to read a bunch of the articles on Lyle's website: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ts-part-1.html
    Until you are fat adapted, expect to have a little mind fog and lethargy. Everyone doesn't get it, but most do. Also, see this article with regards to exercise and fat loss, as it really isn't as beneficial as most think: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-1.html

Protein powders are okay, but you're better off getting your protein from real food, and in general you will feel more full by doing that. Also keep in mind that a lot of protein shake mixes have a lot of carbs, which you are to avoid on this diet.

I'd pop in to some of the longer keto log threads in the subforum above. Many of them contain full meal breakdowns with recipes and pictures.

KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by skinch View Post
    Hi there

Help please!?!?
    We are the same height and the same weight when I got bod pod tested. While women carry their fat differently, I can share those pictures if you wish. I am 23 percent body fat and I was 10 weeks into cutting weight after putting on a solid muscle foundation. Now, for me losing weight- keep in mind I weight train four days a week. I am eating 1450 calories. 25 NET carbs net= carbs- fiber/ 110 fat/95 protein. You can use myfitnesspal to track, just eat what fits in those fat numbers, keto is more or less all about the macros, the first week/month you will feel like **** during your workout- depending upon the type of training. Most likely you will experience keto flu. Most people endure this for 1-10 days. You can use a protein powder, but I actually had to stop because I get all of my protein with meat now that I am limited to such a meager amount of protein. Also, keto isnt just meat and butter. You have to get quality fibrous veggies in to prevent constipation and from the body lacking vital micronutrients.
    Competing this August with the NPC.

Current Lifts on this cut.. BW approx 125
    Squat: 215lbx1
    Bench: 125lbx1
    DeadLift:215lbx1

I like food. I like coffee.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KaylaElizabeth View Post
    ... the body lacking vital micronutrients.
    Organ meats.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24