schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Newbies building muscle and losing fat at the same time--how?

I've read time and time again that it's pretty much newbies to workout out that can both build muscle and lose fat at the same time. After the newbie break-in phase (whatever time that may be), one much choose to cut by being in a caloric deficit or bulk but eating about maintenance. The post-newbie phase makes the most sense to me. But why is it that newbies who are eating at maintenance or below can actually build muscle? What is it about that newbie phase that allows them to build muscle without eating in a surplus? I know that they may have gone from being a couch potato to now working out so the new activity/weight training, etc. effects good changes. But if they're eating below/at maintenance, where do the calories to build muscle come from? Not specifically asking about someone who is obese. Thanks.

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Here's a good explanation. This mostly applies to over fat beginners and people returning from a gym layoff and not so much for the lean beginner. Good read.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ng-fat-qa.html

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by thepowerwithin View Post
    Here's a good explanation. This mostly applies to over fat beginners and people returning from a gym layoff and not so much for the lean beginner. Good read.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ng-fat-qa.html
    Thanks! I'm reading lots of Lyle's stuff so I'm embarassed to say that I haven't seen that one yet :P

I have a few family members that want to try weight training and would like to lose fat. So I told them lucky for them they may be able to put on muscle and lose fat at the same time for a while. But when they asked me to explain why, I couldn't, lol. Now I can show them this!

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Holy hawt new avi, Ms TPW!!!!!!

I have nothing to contribute here, I just had to say
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by dreahere View Post

Yeah, that too I can't even imagine having lovely muscley legs like that. Mine are a blubbery mess right now!

LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm gonna read the link as i'm interested to know this too.

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dreahere View Post

Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    Yeah, that too I can't even imagine having lovely muscley legs like that. Mine are a blubbery mess right now!
    A million thanks!!! In all fairness, it's a good angle for me. Straight front and/or straight back is not so bueno

Originally Posted by LHarwood View Post
    I'm gonna read the link as i'm interested to know this too.
    It's like the more I learn on here, the more questions I have