Thread: Guidance?

maia249 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Guidance?

Hi,

I'm a 20 y/o female. I have been diagnosed with rapid stomach and intestine emptying (simalar to dumping syndrome) and consequential malabsorption which has caused me to lose annoying amounts of weight and muscle. The cause is unknown.

Medication and diet changes (fewer carbohydrates - only low gi, high fibre/protein/fat, mostly whole unprocessed foods, tiny energy dense meals 6+ times a day) are luckily helping and I am keen to get back on track... before all this I was coaching my sport and staying very active. I'd like to end up back to my strong, very toned and tanned self - or better.

I'm starting going to the gym - which is not easy to do as I have no confidence and I'm aware I am now a skinny weak pale girl! But I'm trying to push through and stay motivated. I can't really afford a personal trainer sadly so I don't know where to start for a decent workout plan. I'm currently doing upper/lower body splits and a mix of machines and things like deadlifts and squats - but I often leave the gym feeling like I could've pushed myself more, or that I missed out on muscle groups. I, being female, would certainly like to build my glutes and yet I can't seem to work them enough.

I also really hate cardio. The most I ever do is 20-30 minutes of light crosstrainer/stair machine, or uphill walking on the treadmill.

I'm also not sure where to start with nutrition - medical nutritionists aren't performance orientated - and I can't really follow the "eat what you want" idea.

The internet is a jungle. I thought I'd ask directly.

So in short:
    1. does anyone have any tips on how to make the most of your time in the gym?
    2. workout plans that aren't all weightless squats and kickbacks, or all upper body focused bicep curls? Preferably that include reps, sets, and rest times.
    3. how can I increase my motivation (success stories simalar to where I'm starting? goals I should set?)
    4. does anyone also have any meal plans, or failing that food tips, that would be suitable for my case?
    5. is it ok to do so little cardio?
    6. how can I do all this with no money or do I have no hope?

Thank you so much!

NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Check out the workout forum. There are several programs there you could try. Don't be intimidated by going to your gym. Most people are there to workout. Put on your music and do your sets.
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org
    www.metavivor.org/take-action/why-we-need-you

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    The main things to avoid with dumping syndrome would be your simple carbs: sweetened snacks, desserts, sugar, honey, jelly, sweet drinks, etc...also no drinking liquids with your meals. There are plenty of whole food sources to choose from (including complex carbs which you would be fine using) so no worries there. If you're looking build some muscle and get stronger you'll need to eat in a slight surplus of calories. Figure out your estimated maintenance calories and another 200 calories to that. Give it a good 4-5 weeks, monitor your progress and adjust calorie intake up or down as needed.

Whatever program you decided to run should be focused around the important compound lifts. This is key to building your foundation and getting stronger.

Here's some different programs to check out:

All Pro’s Beginner Routine
    http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.c...r_Routine_Wiki

PHUL - Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

Fierce 5 Program
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159678631

Simply Shredded Upper/Lower
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ul...ing-guide.html

Bret Contreras Strong Curves (Book for building glutes)
    http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Curves-...s=strong+cuves

Pick one you think might like and go with it. As long as you stay consistent you'll see progress.

Good luck.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)