Scotty214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Working out with machines vs traditional ways

Can you still make good gains using machines that target the same muscle groups instead of doing the traditional bench press, deadlIft, squats, etc? I'm sure most of you are biased towards the traditional ways but I've always been curious

Matt7262 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt7262 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt7262 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt7262 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt7262 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt7262 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt7262 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can probably make some gains but they simply won't come as fast or as good without a full range of motion and a natural motion, which is what most machines don't allow (especially the smith machine for things like squats).

ernestkoh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ernestkoh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ernestkoh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ernestkoh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ernestkoh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ernestkoh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ernestkoh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ernestkoh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ernestkoh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ernestkoh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ernestkoh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think we can still make gains from using machines but the way I see it is that these machines help in training us on the forms and postures, which are very important aspects in weights training. And there are people with injuries or problems with body or bone structures (e.g. scoliosis), who may experience difficulties doing the traditional weights training. This is when using the machines will help a lot in maintaining the correct postures and forms while performing the reps, to prevent any further aggravations of the existing conditions. I usually shuttle between machines and free weights to add varieties to my weights training regime, otherwise it would be pretty "monotonous" and boring.

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As well as your goals, and injuries limiting what you can do, the answer to this depends on the extent of the machines you use. Imagine if you have to choose between smith machine bench, or free weight barbell bench as your one chest movement. The barbell is basically better due to the work it offers your front delt, (due to the ability to bring the bar up and back in the most efficient and athletically relevant path), and stabilizers on top of your pec major and tricep activation you get from either one.

Now lets pretend that you're already doing barbell bench and dumbbell incline bench and you want to add a third movement. Trying to decide between barbell incline or the incline chest press machine. Or between dumbbell flys or pec dec. At this point it doesn't matter. Your stabilizers don't need to be stimulated by every exercise to get the muscular and athletic benefits from it. Imagine an actual athlete who trains his front squat, push press, snatch and deadlift hard. In no universe is it wrong that he does bicep curls lying on an incline bench rather than standing up due to the stabilization from standing curls that he's missing out on.

So long as you've got some base of free weight movement in a muscle group you're training, machines are fine.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

RuntStud is not very well liked. (-100) RuntStud is not very well liked. (-100) RuntStud is not very well liked. (-100) RuntStud is not very well liked. (-100) RuntStud is not very well liked. (-100) RuntStud is not very well liked. (-100) RuntStud is not very well liked. (-100) RuntStud is not very well liked. (-100) RuntStud is not very well liked. (-100) RuntStud is not very well liked. (-100) RuntStud is not very well liked. (-100)
    Suppose you have a lat machine which provides no mechanical advantage. This is usually the case with most lat/row machines. If you put 100lbs of weight on the lat machine, and pull the bar down, this is equivalent to loading up a suitably shaped barbell to 100lbs, hanging upside down and pulling it up. The pulley system simply redirects the resistance making it more convenient to use. You don't have to hang upside down to achieve the same efffect. You can do pull ups, weighted if necessary, to provide pretty much the same exercise. It's a bit harder to figure out an equivalent resistance on the lat machine though due to the fact that some of the mass of your body is in your hands and forearms and you're not pulling it up when doing a pull up.

Using a lat / row machine is pretty close to using free weights. As noted above, the pulley is simply redirecting the force. You get to choose where and how to grip the bar that you're pulling. Many gyms provide you with a variety of bars to use with the machine. Within some limits, you also get to choose the path that the attachment takes throughout the range of motion. Other machines are not so forgiving. Many will restrict where and how you place your body and will also place restrictions on how the resistance is moved. Well designed machines will provide you with the adjustments necessary for good ergonomics. If you use such machines, it's important that you understand how to adjust the machine to work well for you. When you lift with free weights, it's important to understand the form necessary both for safety, but also to effectively work the area of body under consideration.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Scotty214 View Post
    Can you still make good gains using machines that target the same muscle groups instead of doing the traditional bench press, deadlIft, squats, etc? I'm sure most of you are biased towards the traditional ways but I've always been curious
    Yes

You can make gains with machines. They are simply another "Training Tool" in your tool box.

Benefit

Machine allow you to maximize the involvement of the primary muscles.

They do that by eliminating the involvement of the stabilizer muscles.

Downside

The downside is that since the stabilizer muscles are eliminated from the equation, they are not worked.

With in mind, let look at...

The Convertibility Factor

In free weight movements, stability muscle play a huge role in performing the movement (Squat, Bench Press, etc).

Thus, if machines are only used, you are not going to be able to preform a free weight movement with much weight.

However, if you develop strength with free weights, your strength level in let's say a Leg Press will rival someone who only preform the Leg Press.

Free Weights and Machines

To fully maximize strength and size, both need to be employed in one's training program.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Can you, yes.
    Should you, no.

tastan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tastan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tastan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tastan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tastan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tastan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tastan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tastan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tastan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tastan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tastan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yes you can make gains with machines and you can make good gains.

I've been training for may years and in the last year I changed my chest workout to include more machine exercises. I've been doing incline smith bench press, hammer strength bench press as my main movements, and then I would add different exercises depending on my goals. Right now I am using a machine cable press.
    So what kind of results did I achieve with this training, better than with free weights. I won't lie. seriously my chest is fuller, bigger and I love the results.
    Does that mean that machines are better - NO.
    It means by now I've gathered enough knowledge to know how to target my muscles properly.
    I would say use both free weights and machines and pay attention to how your body responds. Be intuitive in learning what works better for you.
    AI Sports Nutrition Rep
    NPC competitor
    http://instagram.com/tastankul

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ai/ai.htm
    ********.com/AISportsNutrition
    Newsletter: http://forms.aweber.com/form/85/1635053985.htm
    Ask me for samples!

WHEY protein available in Chocolate, Cinnamon roll, Pumpkin pie, Vanilla and Mocha flavors.

Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.