ryuking1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Knee pain only when I’m out at the bar

I have a really weird situation and there was no “injury” section of the forums so idk where to post this. I’m 21 155lb just started taking leg day serious the past 3 months after making excuses for the other 5 months I’ve been working out.

But my problem is that I have knee pain ONLY when I’m out at the bar staNding around dancing (not wildly). When I work out I don’t have this pain and in my day to day life I might notice discomfort once in a while but nothing that hurts.

When I’m out I’ll notice out of nowhere when I bend my left knee it hurts pretty bad is this normal or what ?

cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What did the doctor say?
    Read the fukcing stickies!

S/B/D/P
    565/385/600/270

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175988921

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cornman99 View Post
    What did the doctor say?
    He said "Stop going to the bar."
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew

cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BS57 View Post
    That's good advice.

S/B/D/P
    565/385/600/270

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Used to dismiss this type of pain and it only got worse. I was doing too much cardio and not enough strength training, which resulted in overuse injuries. If your leg days are higher reps, you might want to take it down a notch, focus on form, and make sure you're getting sufficient warm up and cool down.

And stay out of the bar.

Lol I haven’t been to a doctor yet cause it’s kind of a new problem and I wanted to see if it was serious enough to see the doctor for. I’m 21 i want to live my life and do things while I can lol I mean I like bodybuilding and fitness and all but it’s not that serious to sacrifice going out once a month with friends

And I’m assuming you guys said stop going to the bar cause it messes with your fitness goals and all of that hence why I said I don’t think going out once in a while is gonna hurt me it’s just a hobby

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ryuking1 View Post
    Lol I haven’t been to a doctor yet cause it’s kind of a new problem and I wanted to see if it was serious enough to see the doctor for. I’m 21 i want to live my life and do things while I can lol I mean I like bodybuilding and fitness and all but it’s not that serious to sacrifice going out once a month with friends
    Being young and active is all the more reason to see the doc. If it bothers you enough to ask about it, then I'd have it looked at. Bottom line, your body, your pain, your call.

Sometime I'll tell about the time I shot an elephant in my pajamas............

ETA: I said stop going to the bar, because it makes your knee hurt, lol.

Guy said "doc, it hurts when I do this"...

Doc said "Well, don't do that".
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Disclaimer... I'm not medically qualified in any form and all of my advice should be ignored.

Knee pain is complicated, even compared to other medical stuff. I can give you my unqualified opinion of the most common knee pain issue but there's no way to know if this is your issue. You absolutely must get it checked by someone qualified, that could be a GP/family doctor, but in some cases a physical therapist is better.

My biggest concern is that something is wrong and you only (currently) experience symptoms dancing. It could be that if it gets worse you'll start getting issues walking or going up stairs or whatever, so getting a diagnosis of the underlying cause and appropriate treatment is important even if you currently only get symptoms in this one particular case.

The kneecap (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patella) slides up and down over the femur and tibia in a sort of grove.

It is a reasonably common disorder that it doesn't quite track properly, often grinding against the outer side of the groove near its top travel, perhaps in the dominant leg. This is sometimes called "runners knee" and maybe your dancing issue? (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pate..._pain_syndrome)

Equally there are a million other issues so get a real diagnosis not from an unqualified idiot like me. If it is this very common issue you need to strength the inner quad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vastus_medialis) more than the outer one (vastus lateralis) to correct an imbalance and correct the tracking of the patella.

Since all the quads are controlled by a single nerve, it is impossible to clench the inner muscle rather than the outer (as once told to me by a physical therapist, what a silly person).

The 4 quad muscles (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad...femoris_muscle, some argue for a small 5th one to be included, but it's not significant) attach (origins and insertions) in different places so different angles of the knee preferrencially load different muscles.

The "trick" to build the vm (vastus medialis) is to exercise in the correct range (knee about 60 degrees bent and more, to about 110 bent) to build it up more than the outer.

If you can do deep squats and other exercise (given by a physical therapist) most likely your knees will be better than ever before. Avoid doing just the top half of the squat or similar like a step machine, stairmaster etc unless instructed otherwise by a qualified person

Please see my first paragraph and get qualified diagnosis and advice before it gets any worse.
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 11-03-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Well thanks for everything lol

Being young and active is all the more reason to see the doc. If it bothers you enough to ask about it, then I'd have it looked at. Bottom line, your body, your pain, your call.

Sometime I'll tell about the time I shot an elephant in my pajamas............

ETA: I said stop going to the bar, because it makes your knee hurt, lol.

Guy said "doc, it hurts when I do this"...

Doc said "Well, don't do that".
    Thanks for everything I’ll schedule an appointment

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Disclaimer... I'm not medically qualified in any form and all of my advice should be ignored.

Knee pain is complicated, even compared to other medical stuff. I can give you my unqualified opinion of the most common knee pain issue but there's no way to know if this is your issue. You absolutely must get it checked by someone qualified, that could be a GP/family doctor, but in some cases a physical therapist is better.

My biggest concern is that something is wrong and you only (currently) experience symptoms dancing. It could be that if it gets worse you'll start getting issues walking or going up stairs or whatever, so getting a diagnosis of the underlying cause and appropriate treatment is important even if you currently only get symptoms in this one particularslides up and down over the femur and tibia in a sort of grove.

It is a reasonably common disorder that it doesn't quite track properly, often grinding against the outer side of the groove near its top travel, perhaps in the dominant leg. This is sometimes called "runners knee" and maybe your dancing issue?

Equally there are a million other issues so get a real diagnosis not from an unqualified idiot like me. If it is this very common issue you need to strength the innermore than the outer one (vastus lateralis) to correct an imbalance and correct the tracking of the patella.

Since all the quads are controlled by a single nerve, it is impossible to clench the inner muscle rather than the outer (as once told to me by a physical therapist, what a silly person).

The 4 quad muscles some argue for a small 5th one to be included, but it's not significant) attach (origins and insertions) in different places so different angles of the knee preferrencially load different muscles.

The "trick" to build the vm (vastus medialis) is to exercise in the correct range (knee about 60 degrees bent and more, to about 110 bent) to build it up more than the outer.

If you can do deep squats and other exercise (given by a physical therapist) most likely your knees will be better than ever before. Avoid doing just the top half of the squat or similar like a step machine, stairmaster etc unless instructed otherwise by a qualified person

Please see my first paragraph and get qualified diagnosis and advice before it gets any worse.
    thanks for putting in the work for that response I’ll get it checked out

dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcourson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Suck it up, or cut it off. Only two choices really.

On a serious note, if every time I had an ache or pain I went to see a doctor, I'd be a heavily medicated bro. I'd try altering my workout first, unless the pain is very sharp. I know the term very sharp lacks concept. Pain is a subjective thing. As an old guy, pain has to be really damn bad to effect me, because I have more tolerance to it. Having experienced a lot of painful stuff, pain doesn't bother as it once did (and yet life goes on). As a younger person, sometimes minor things can really ache. If it is a sharp excruciating pain, I'd definitely seek help. If it is just a minor ache, dull throb type thing, I'd try mixing stuff up and see if that helps.

I've seen my fair share of people who run to the doctor at every minor issue who end up bed ridden and dead from over doctoring.
    Last edited by dcourson; 11-04-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Originally Posted by ryuking1 View Post
    is it in the joint or just muscle soreness? If it's joint pain then don't ignore it since there could be an underlying issue and you don't want to make it worse

S/B/D/P
    565/385/600/270

Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Linda1587 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by dcourson View Post
    Suck it up, or cut it off. Only two choices really.

On a serious note, if every time I had an ache or pain I went to see a doctor, I'd be a heavily medicated bro. I'd try altering my workout first, unless the pain is very sharp. I know the term very sharp lacks concept. Pain is a subjective thing. As an old guy, pain has to be really damn bad to effect me, because I have more tolerance to it. Having experienced a lot of painful stuff, pain doesn't bother as it once did (and yet life goes on). As a younger person, sometimes minor things can really ache. If it is a sharp excruciating pain, I'd definitely seek help. If it is just a minor ache, dull throb type thing, I'd try mixing stuff up and see if that helps.

I've seen my fair share of people who run to the doctor at every minor issue who end up bed ridden and dead from over doctoring.
    Totaly agree sir, we shouldn't find doctor everytime we got ache

Originally Posted by Linda1587 View Post
    sometimes it's not a bad idea when you're lifting hundreds of pounds with the part that's hurting. Don't be stupid about it.

S/B/D/P
    565/385/600/270

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm 21 and I am going to do what I WANT TO DO!!

Don't care what you all say, I want to be bent over a toilet the rest of my life, or at least until after I get that nipple ring......

Oh wait, that was me....lol
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Squid24 View Post
    I'm 21 and I am going to do what I WANT TO DO!!

Don't care what you all say, I want to be bent over a toilet the rest of my life, or at least until after I get that nipple ring......

Oh wait, that was me....lol
    I never actually felt pain while i was at the bar, it was normally the next morning trying to figure out where the bruises came from. I do remember the pain from the nipple piercings, but unlike tattoos you can remove them so your inlaws never know about them.

Op if you are 21 and your knee hurts at the bar then you need to man up and start hitting on the ladies. If it hurts so bad that your limping, then make up a cool story and start hitting on the ladies.

Originally Posted by Linda1587 View Post
    I broke a nail once......called in a specialist.
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew