Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

"My Greatest Enemy is my Inner Me" -- JBell's quest to play JC Basketball

I don't expect anyone to read this, but welcome to my thread.

During one of my basketball practices in my senior year of high school, my coach talked to the team while we were standing on the baseline.

"None of you guys will ever play basketball again without paying money. This is it."

How's that for motivation?

So far he's been right. No seniors from that team have went on to play D-I, II, III or JC ball. I want to prove him wrong, not to rub it in his face, but because I love the sport and it would be one of my biggest accomplishments ever.

The only problem is that I'm a shooting guard in a point guard's body. If I want any chance at making my JC's team I'm going to have to improve my handles DRASTICALLY. If tryouts were tomorrow, I'd embarrass the hell out of myself.

I'm aiming to make the '11 roster, so it gives me roughly a year to get to work.

My goals:

1. Improve dribbling. I need to become an exceptional ballhandler at my height, that's the only way I'll see the floor.

2. Improve vertical.

3. Improve agility.

4. Improve strength.

5. Improve finishing at the basket.

I looked at my school's roster, and just about every guy was 1st-team all league in high school, averaged 20+ points ppg etc....

I started games my junior and senior year but I never received any accolades. My role was to make 3's and play good D. If I want to make the roster i'm going to have to improve at everything, but especially dribbling.

I got my work cut out for me.
    Last edited by JBell523; 12-02-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hoop_Dreams has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Currently at 5'9" 167.

After reading through TwiceTheSpeed's Vertical thread, I discovered the importance of stretching and will be incorporating that before and after all my workouts.

Today's workout:

Pre-lifting: Dynamic stretches, courtesy of http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...stretches.html

Arm Swings
    Side Bends
    Trunk Rotations
    Full Back Stretch
    Hamstring Stretch
    Groin Stretch
    Alternate Toe Touches
    Leg Swings

Workout:

1. Box Squats
    -95 x 5
    -135 x 5
    -185 x 5
    -195 x 5
    -205 x 3 x 5

2. Snatch Grip Deadlifts - I can't get a good grip on these with the double overhand grip. I had to have my left hand underhand and my right hand overhand to be able to do any lifts without it slipping.

-135 x 5
    -185 x 5
    -225 x 5

3. Bulgarian Split Squats - This was my first time attempting this so I didn't use heavyweights to made sure I had the form right.

-40 lb DB's (each hand) x 4 x 5 per leg

4. Single Leg Roman Deadlifts - Again, this is my first time doing this exercise so the weight was really low.

-15 lb DB's (each hand) x 5 per leg
    -22.5 lb DB's x 5 per leg
    -30 lb DB's x 3 x 5 per leg

Post Workout: Static Stretching
    I did the majority of the stretches provided on this website: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/stretch.htm

Later on today I'll be focusing on dribbling drills, and get a couple of pick-up games in afterwards.

hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by JBell523 View Post
    Currently at 5'9" 167.

After reading through TwiceTheSpeed's Vertical thread, I discovered the importance of stretching and will be incorporating that before and after all my workouts.

Today's workout:

Pre-lifting: Dynamic stretches, courtesy of http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...stretches.html

Arm Swings
    Side Bends
    Trunk Rotations
    Full Back Stretch
    Hamstring Stretch
    Groin Stretch
    Alternate Toe Touches
    Leg Swings

Workout:

1. Box Squats
    -95 x 5
    -135 x 5
    -185 x 5
    -195 x 5
    -205 x 3 x 5

2. Snatch Grip Deadlifts - I can't get a good grip on these with the double overhand grip. I had to have my left hand underhand and my right hand overhand to be able to do any lifts without it slipping.

-135 x 5
    -185 x 5
    -225 x 5

3. Bulgarian Split Squats - This was my first time attempting this so I didn't use heavyweights to made sure I had the form right.

-40 lb DB's (each hand) x 4 x 5 per leg

4. Single Leg Roman Deadlifts - Again, this is my first time doing this exercise so the weight was really low.

-15 lb DB's (each hand) x 5 per leg
    -22.5 lb DB's x 5 per leg
    -30 lb DB's x 3 x 5 per leg

Post Workout: Static Stretching
    I did the majority of the stretches provided on this website: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/stretch.htm

Later on today I'll be focusing on dribbling drills, and get a couple of pick-up games in afterwards.
    Dynamic stretching, eh? Smart move. It'll keep ya injury-free. Yo, why are you doing 2 different kinds of squats?

Just got back from the gym. 1 hour and 45 minutes of ballhandling and shooting drills.

I took two basketballs to the gym to work on two ball dribbling drills. Let's just say it was a disaster. First off, I had a hard time getting the balls to be the same pressure. One felt like it was bouncier than the other, but I think my weak ass left hand had something to do with that. 2nd off, during the dribble drills my lower back was starting to hurt because of yesterday's workout. Hopefully that's just soreness from doing unfamiliar lifts, otherwise dribbling drills after squat/deadlift day seems like a terrible idea. I tried to incorporate some of the drills from the video below, and wow I have a lot of work to do.

The only drills I managed to complete without fumbling the ball every 2 seconds were:

-Side to side
    -Front to back
    -Alternating hands

Some of those moves were too advanced for me at this stage but I will get there.

Additional ballhandling drills:

-weaving through the legs without the ball touching the ground
    -moving the ball around my waist in a circular motion without it touching the ground
    -low dribbles, alternating hands, low cross over dribbles
    -crossover dribbles between the legs full court

After dribbling drills, I went straight to shooting. These were the spots I worked on:

-Elbow
    -Bankshots from the wing from 15 feet
    -Corner 3's
    -Wing 3's
    -Top of the Key 3's
    -Underneath the basket lay-ups, alternating hands (not letting the ball touch the ground)
    -1 dribble lay-ups from the wing 3 pt. line

Towards the end of my shooting drills, my shots were predictably getting flat due to fatigue. I started walking on my tiptoes and my shot % increased DRAMATICALLY. I was nailing 9/10 - 10/10 on the elbows after realizing I was shooting flatfooted. I would always just chalk it up to fatigue, but now I know specifically what the root of the problem is.

Like yesterday, I did dynamic stretching before the drills, and static stretching afterwards.

Originally Posted by hamworld05 View Post
    Dynamic stretching, eh? Smart move. It'll keep ya injury-free. Yo, why are you doing 2 different kinds of squats?
    Box squats was recommended by westside for skinny bastards & the vert sticky, so I knew I was going to be putting those in my regime. On Defranco's list of "15 exercises for higher verts" the Bulgarian Split Squats was listed, so I added those in as well. I don't see the problem in doing both. To me it's no different than doing flat bench and incline bench for chest day.

Later on today: Pick-up games in the afternoon. Lifting in the evening/early morning.
    Last edited by JBell523; 12-04-2010 at 03:05 AM.

beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good luck bro.

i am envious how you Americans can just go down the street to the local court and shoot around, we barely even have street courts over here.

And pick up games are non existent.
    310 Pounds down to 218 Pounds.

Just got back from 2 and a half hours of pick up games.

I only planned to play only 1 hour and half but my team kept winning so I played about 4 games.

My dribbling still needs a ton of work. I'm not confident in driving the ball yet, even against mediocre competition. The shooting drills from last night paid off though, I was making over half of my 3 pointers.

And I just realized how much more fun pick-up games are when you're playing with people you know. On the first game it was game point, 14-14. My man was overplaying me because I had made a couple of 3's earlier. I gave my friend, who was inbounding the ball at the top of the key a little head nod. I took one jab step to the 3 point line and boom cut to the basket for a lay-up. His pass was on the money.

Planning on lifting tonight, but I'll have to see how my body's feeling.

Originally Posted by beertank23 View Post
    Good luck bro.

i am envious how you Americans can just go down the street to the local court and shoot around, we barely even have street courts over here.

And pick up games are non existent.
    Thanks man. Yeah the 24 hour gym I go to has an indoor basketball court. I used to play outdoors all the time until I got my gym membership.

They don't have indoor courts @ your gyms in Australia?

beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    They don't have indoor courts @ your gyms in Australia?
    Ohh man dont get me wrong, we have plenty of basketball stadiums and a few outdoor courts, but the stadiums are only ever open on game days.

And they only gyms with basketball courts are in major cities...

hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Just got back from the gym. 1 hour and 45 minutes of ballhandling and shooting drills.

I took two basketballs to the gym to work on two ball dribbling drills. Let's just say it was a disaster. First off, I had a hard time getting the balls to be the same pressure. One felt like it was bouncier than the other, but I think my weak ass left hand had something to do with that. 2nd off, during the dribble drills my lower back was starting to hurt because of yesterday's workout. Hopefully that's just soreness from doing unfamiliar lifts, otherwise dribbling drills after squat/deadlift day seems like a terrible idea. I tried to incorporate some of the drills from the video below, and wow I have a lot of work to do.

The only drills I managed to complete without fumbling the ball every 2 seconds were:

-Side to side
    -Front to back
    -Alternating hands

Some of those moves were too advanced for me at this stage but I will get there.

Additional ballhandling drills:

-weaving through the legs without the ball touching the ground
    -moving the ball around my waist in a circular motion without it touching the ground
    -low dribbles, alternating hands, low cross over dribbles
    -crossover dribbles between the legs full court

After dribbling drills, I went straight to shooting. These were the spots I worked on:

-Elbow
    -Bankshots from the wing from 15 feet
    -Corner 3's
    -Wing 3's
    -Top of the Key 3's
    -Underneath the basket lay-ups, alternating hands (not letting the ball touch the ground)
    -1 dribble lay-ups from the wing 3 pt. line

Towards the end of my shooting drills, my shots were predictably getting flat due to fatigue. I started walking on my tiptoes and my shot % increased DRAMATICALLY. I was nailing 9/10 - 10/10 on the elbows after realizing I was shooting flatfooted. I would always just chalk it up to fatigue, but now I know specifically what the root of the problem is.

Like yesterday, I did dynamic stretching before the drills, and static stretching afterwards.

Box squats was recommended by westside for skinny bastards & the vert sticky, so I knew I was going to be putting those in my regime. On Defranco's list of "15 exercises for higher verts" the Bulgarian Split Squats was listed, so I added those in as well. I don't see the problem in doing both. To me it's no different than doing flat bench and incline bench for chest day.

Later on today: Pick-up games in the afternoon. Lifting in the evening/early morning.
    Interesting. You are doing basketball drills and lifting weights. I tried such an approach. It didn't work very well.

I'm convinced you must pick either skills or athleticism but I could be wrong.

Either way, I read about bulgarian split squats(I've never heard of them). They look like dumbbell lunges. The #1 reason why box squats are recommended because you can do 'em explosively to build fast twitch muscle fibers. Doing bulgarian split squats explosively just sounds dangerous. Why not replace them with dumbbell lunges? Doing dumbbell lunges explosively is more effective in my opinion.
    "ham boy"

lolwut. Wrong.

SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I love playing basketball, but nothing competitive. Really, my sincere good luck to you brah.
    Served two years in the military. Respect all military brahs!

+ 92B +

**MISC Strength Crew**

**Los Angeles Lakers** **Kobe Bryant** **Derrick Rose**

I DO not REP BACK.

People who have to rep me for life:
    GreasyBurger, AVOJAMACADA, Cuhh

Originally Posted by beertank23 View Post
    lolwut. Wrong.
    No, what I meant is that the most efficient way to get good enough in basketball is to work on either skills or athleticism.
    "ham boy"

Sunday night:

-Played some pick-up games after my Cowboys pulled off the overtime win over Indy. I mentioned in an earlier post that playing pick-up games with friends is WAY more fun. Yeah... I ended up playing with a bunch of randoms and I've never played with so many ballhogs in my life. Everyone swears they're Kobe at this gym. Everytime down, you're lucky if there's one pass on offense. It's some NBA 2k11 iso every play shyt. It's so aggravating to play hard defense, get rebounds, and then not even touch the ball on offense. But I digress.

-Just got back from a lifting session. I drank the koolaid like a lot of people in this forum and hopped on the westside for skinny bastards routine part 1. I like it because it lets you modify your own workout.

Max Effort Upper Body:

A. Max Effort Lift: Incline Barbell Bench Press
    -95 x 5
    -135 x 5
    -145 x 5
    -155 x 4 - probably coulda squeezed out the last rep, but this is one of the downsides to having no spotter =|

B. Supplemental Lift: Flat Dumbbell Bench
    -40 x 6
    -70 x 6
    -70 x 5 (failed last rep)
    -65 x 5 - disappointed I had to go down in weight, but it's better than just skipping a set.

C. Horizontal Row: Seated Cable Rows
    -85 x 10
    -115 x 4 x 10

D. Rear Delt/Upper Back: Seated Dumbbell Power Cleans (I watched the youtube vid for form and thought I'd be able to do this fairly easy. I thought wrong lol.)

-15 x 3 x 12... that's not a typo, I did these with really low weight because a) they're hard, b) it's my first time doing them, and c) I'm not trying to injure myself.

E. Weighted Abs Exercise: Decline sit-ups with weights

25 lb plate x 3 x 10

In the afternoon I will be doing ballhandling, dribbling, and shooting drills (no pick-up games).

Interesting. You are doing basketball drills and lifting weights. I tried such an approach. It didn't work very well.

Either way, I read about bulgarian split squats(I've never heard of them). They look like dumbbell lunges. The #1 reason why box squats are recommended because you can do 'em explosively to build fast twitch muscle fibers. Doing bulgarian split squats explosively just sounds dangerous. Why not replace them with dumbbell lunges? Doing dumbbell lunges explosively is more effective in my opinion.
    I think I can do both. I'm gonna cut down on the amount of pick-up games I play in, but I won't stop lifting + doing basketball drills. There's plenty of athletes in different sports that have been able to do both successfully. Thanks for the suggestion on lunges though, I've never done them before but I'll look into adding them on my lower body day.

Originally Posted by SgSpartan View Post
    I love playing basketball, but nothing competitive. Really, my sincere good luck to you brah.
    Thanks man.
    Last edited by JBell523; 12-07-2010 at 04:11 AM.

Just got back from working on dribbling/ballhandling drills and shooting.

I can already see some improvement, especially in my left hand.

I tried to emphasize two things today - keeping my head up while dribbling, and doing dribbles at game speed.

In joakman's basketball advice thread (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=122964941) he mentioned doing drills with your eyes closed. I did that for some of the drills as it prevents you from looking down. I can't be looking down while dribbling in a game, so why do it in practice?

Really excited for my lower body day later on tonight. I gotta get my explosiveness, vert, and agility up and lifting is one of the best ways to do it.

Just got back from working on dribbling/ballhandling drills and shooting.

I can already see some improvement, especially in my left hand.

I tried to emphasize two things today - keeping my head up while dribbling, and doing dribbles at game speed.

In joakman's basketball advice thread (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=122964941) he mentioned doing drills with your eyes closed. I did that for some of the drills as it prevents you from looking down. I can't be looking down while dribbling in a game, so why do it in practice?

Really excited for my lower body day later on tonight. I gotta get my explosiveness, vert, and agility up and lifting is one of the best ways to do it.
    Ah you're so lucky homie. You have the strength to train to get better, I'm still trying to get strong.
    "ham boy"

kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Goodluck with training, but you should move this log over to adarq.org. Youll get alot more/constant and better advice from the owner of the site. Helps out everyone over there. I got alog over there for bball under same user name if you want to check it out.

Lower body day

A. Box Squats
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5

I was able to get 205 last week, but that wasn't parallel. I got a way smaller box this time so that I was going below parallel, which is why the lifts are a little weaker. I want to get my squat up to at least 1.5 x my body weight.

B. Barbell reverse lunges
    65 x 8 (per leg)
    95 x 8
    105 x 3 x 8

C. Leg Curls
    75 x 8
    105 x 8
    130 x 8
    145 x 3 x 8

D. Dumbell holds (for grip)

Grabbed the ends of 15 lb DB's x 3 x 60 seconds

Ah you're so lucky homie. You have the strength to train to get better, I'm still trying to get strong.
    Haha I wish man... I'm far from strong.

Originally Posted by kbm12345 View Post
    Goodluck with training, but you should move this log over to adarq.org. Youll get alot more/constant and better advice from the owner of the site. Helps out everyone over there. I got alog over there for bball under same user name if you want to check it out.
    Thanks man, I'll have to start one up over there. I only made this so I can track my progress, but that sounds like a good idea.

Lower body day

A. Box Squats
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5

I was able to get 205 last week, but that wasn't parallel. I got a way smaller box this time so that I was going below parallel, which is why the lifts are a little weaker. I want to get my squat up to at least 1.5 x my body weight.

B. Barbell reverse lunges
    65 x 8 (per leg)
    95 x 8
    105 x 3 x 8

C. Leg Curls
    75 x 8
    105 x 8
    130 x 8
    145 x 3 x 8

D. Dumbell holds (for grip)

Grabbed the ends of 15 lb DB's x 3 x 60 seconds

Haha I wish man... I'm far from strong.

Can't you bench press your own weight? I can barely bench press 90 pounds.
    "ham boy"

Repetition Upper Body Day

Pre-workout: dynamic stretching

A. Barbell Bench (sets of max reps, 60 seconds between rest)
    95 x 10
    135 x 15
    135 x 10
    135 x 5

B. Rope Pushdowns
    55 x 10
    70 x 10
    70 x 10
    70 x 10
    70 x 10

C. Lat Pulldowns
    70 x 8
    115 x 8
    115 x 8
    115 x 8
    115 x 8

D. Barbell Shrugs
    155 x 15
    155 x 15
    155 x 15

E. Dumbell Curls
    25 x 10
    25 x 10
    25 x 10

F. Abs Circuit Training (no rest between exercises)
    weighted ab machine (100 lbs.) --> hanging leg lift --> decline weighted sit-ups (with 25 lbs.)

Did all three exercises x 3.

The 60 second limit between sets on bench really messed me up. I'm used to taking ~2 minutes to recover, but 60 wasn't enough time for me to able to get the reps I wanted. Went from 15 -> 10 -> 5. Probably could have eeked out an extra rep on all of the sets, but that's the downside to no spotter.

The abs circuit training killed me.. not used to going from set to set without rest.

Afterwards I drank a protein shake and did some dribbling/shooting work for about an hour.

Can't wait to play some pick-up games later on, i'm feelin a lot more confident.

For right now I'm just focusing on getting stronger and getting better everyday at b-ball. As soon as I get my squat up to around 1.5 x my bodyweight, I'm gonna start doin the vertical jump bible.
    Last edited by JBell523; 12-11-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Okay, just finished reading the westide for skinny bastards part III article... apparently he modified the part I program quite a bit, and on the max rep lift (part a. from my previous post) he now recommends at least 90 seconds rest in between sets for bench. That would have been nice to know earlier.

I should have read all three articles in the first place. Oh well, at least I found it out early. I like that part 3 has an extra day to help you with your jumping/athleticism, so i'll be switching to it asap.
    Last edited by JBell523; 12-11-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Just got back from some pick-up games. My confidence is at zero right now. I can't drive to the hoop. I don't know if it's because during pick-up games everyone tends to sluff in the paint or what, but I just don't have the quickness or handles to get past my man right now.

I played at gym full of big/athletic dudes, and I got to shoot the ball once. My teammates didn't even look to pass me the ball. Shyt is frustrating when people think you suck just based off of how you look.

I ended up going to another gym with less athletic dudes and was getting some good runs in, making a lot of 3's... but it's not enough. I can't just be the dude who shoots 3's, I've been that my whole life.

I don't want this to be one of those threads that slowly drifts away to page 2, and before you know it it's gone into the archives. But FUKK i'm so far behind right now.

kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbm12345 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Hoop_Dreams View Post
    Just got back from some pick-up games. My confidence is at zero right now. I can't drive to the hoop. I don't know if it's because during pick-up games everyone tends to sluff in the paint or what, but I just don't have the quickness or handles to get past my man right now.

I played at gym full of big/athletic dudes, and I got to shoot the ball once. My teammates didn't even look to pass me the ball. Shyt is frustrating when people think you suck just based off of how you look.

I ended up going to another gym with less athletic dudes and was getting some good runs in, making a lot of 3's... but it's not enough. I can't just be the dude who shoots 3's, I've been that my whole life.

I don't want this to be one of those threads that slowly drifts away to page 2, and before you know it it's gone into the archives. But FUKK i'm so far behind right now.
    Hey mate just some more ideas from reading your journal, you should try incoporate sprints in before your Lower days 15x15m 1day hill sprints, 1day flat sprints. 1min 30sec rest b/w. Hills can be done outside on a slanted road higher the hill the better, even on a road theres not much stress on your body. Id say sprints are the most important thing overall for athleticism even more then lifting weights. Everyone believes lifting weights is the key to athletacism but i think if i could chose b/w running and weights it would def be running.

The 2 months i did sprints rigoroulsy, i was stronger, quicker and jumping the heighest i have ever been. Now i have stopped running for a month, and am slower and jumping way lower. Next monday im going to start sprints again just b/c they made such a HUGE difference. Also you might want to put in about 30-50 plyo jumps with 1min recovery b/w sets after your sprints. Don't just ignore the jumps/running thinking only weights will improve your athletasicm b/c i can nearly guarantee you youll get much much further if you combine the three togeterh weight/jumps/running.

There is an excellent thread in the sports section by SpeedExpert about sprinting, search for it, the ideas from that thread really transformed me into a better athlete.

HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just wanted to say good luck to you, man.

The best advice I have is to keep working at it and stay with it. It's something that will develop over time.

When you're playing in your pick up games, stick with the tougher crowds. I know it's hard to find a decent game where they actually play as a team, but when you are in a game, focus on your handles first. In high school, I was a shooter first and didn't even consider putting it on the floor. My coach finally broke me of that mentality which had just become a habit. When you're out there, try to focus on driving, creating and getting people open. Create first, dish second, shoot third. By doing so, you force yourself to sharpen those skills... because you're either going to make something happen or get ripped by the defense.

And you will get ripped at first... but there is no substitute for game time defense.

Stick with the games, drills and motivation and give it your best.

I definitely want to keep up with your progress. Best of luck!

Hey mate just some more ideas from reading your journal, you should try incoporate sprints in before your Lower days 15x15m 1day hill sprints, 1day flat sprints. 1min 30sec rest b/w. Hills can be done outside on a slanted road higher the hill the better, even on a road theres not much stress on your body. Id say sprints are the most important thing overall for athleticism even more then lifting weights. Everyone believes lifting weights is the key to athletacism but i think if i could chose b/w running and weights it would def be running.

The 2 months i did sprints rigoroulsy, i was stronger, quicker and jumping the heighest i have ever been. Now i have stopped running for a month, and am slower and jumping way lower. Next monday im going to start sprints again just b/c they made such a HUGE difference. Also you might want to put in about 30-50 plyo jumps with 1min recovery b/w sets after your sprints. Don't just ignore the jumps/running thinking only weights will improve your athletasicm b/c i can nearly guarantee you youll get much much further if you combine the three togeterh weight/jumps/running.

There is an excellent thread in the sports section by SpeedExpert about sprinting, search for it, the ideas from that thread really transformed me into a better athlete.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look into hill sprints, I can already think of a good location.

When you do sprints/plyo work, I'm assuming you do these on non-lifting days right? Or can you do them on the same day?

And I tried looking for your log on that other site but I couldn't find it... post the link when you get the chance, it'd be pretty coo to look at other b-ball logs. Not a lot of active b-ball logs in this section.
    Originally Posted by HeyItsJordan View Post
    Just wanted to say good luck to you, man.

The best advice I have is to keep working at it and stay with it. It's something that will develop over time.

When you're playing in your pick up games, stick with the tougher crowds. I know it's hard to find a decent game where they actually play as a team, but when you are in a game, focus on your handles first. In high school, I was a shooter first and didn't even consider putting it on the floor. My coach finally broke me of that mentality which had just become a habit. When you're out there, try to focus on driving, creating and getting people open. Create first, dish second, shoot third. By doing so, you force yourself to sharpen those skills... because you're either going to make something happen or get ripped by the defense.

And you will get ripped at first... but there is no substitute for game time defense.

Stick with the games, drills and motivation and give it your best.

I definitely want to keep up with your progress. Best of luck!
    I WANT to play at the tougher gym because playing against tougher competition is the best way to get better, BUT...... a) if you lose, you're gonna have to wait an hour or two to get on again because it get so packed and b) there's no passing. At least at the other gym there's ball movement and if I lose I usually get picked up because I guess you can say I'm more "respected" over there.

But I'm definitely going to put an emphasis on driving more... good idea. I just can't get discouraged, I hate making dumb mistakes, I always try to play the "right" way. Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by Hoop_Dreams; 12-16-2010 at 03:54 PM.

HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeyItsJordan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, I hear ya. Some places just suck for games.

Like you said - don't get discouraged. Mistakes happen, turnovers are inevitable, but you build from it.

Hang in there.
    “Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing. Use the pain as fuel, as a reminder of your strength.”

Originally Posted by Hoop_Dreams View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look into hill sprints, I can already think of a good location.

When you do sprints/plyo work, I'm assuming you do these on non-lifting days right? Or can you do them on the same day?

And I tried looking for your log on that other site but I couldn't find it... post the link when you get the chance, it'd be pretty coo to look at other b-ball logs. Not a lot of active b-ball logs in this section.

I WANT to play at the tougher gym because playing against tougher competition is the best way to get better, BUT...... a) if you lose, you're gonna have to wait an hour or two to get on again because it get so packed and b) there's no passing. At least at the other gym there's ball movement and if I lose I usually get picked up because I guess you can say I'm more "respected" over there.

But I'm definitely going to put an emphasis on driving more... good idea. I just can't get discouraged, I hate making dumb mistakes, I always try to play the "right" way. Thanks for the advice.
    Nah, you do them on lifting days before your weight days that way your CNS can recover before the next session. Say if you do weights monday sprints tuesday etc, your body will have no time to revover but if you do monday=sprints/ plyos/weights, tuesday upper body or rest? wed or thurs sprints/ plyos /weights, your body has a good amount of time to recover between workout days, nearly all sprinters train this way, with there Sprints in the Am then weights ususally after in the PM. That thread in the sport section by speed expert (really big thread) explains all this pretty well.

The hill sprints are really easy on your joints and stuff you may even want to start at 2x a week hill sprints then some light intensity plyos/med ball throws after. Just make sure you have full recovery between sprints. 15 sprints + plyos takes about 30min so its not alot of time.

You should def consider moving it, youl get much more advice over there and the owner always gives free help to everyone that has a log, and his pretty knowledeable.

http://www.adarq.org/forum/progress-...ches-standing/
    You can see the first 2 months when i was doing sprints i got to training faster/jumping higher etc, and the last month been lazy and stopped them and its athletiscism has def gone down hill

Sorry for the lack of updates, nothing really new to add. I took a week off from lifting. Been playing a lot of ball though.

Today was my first day back in the gym, and I felt really refreshed. Was able to increase the weight on my lifts from my previous log.

Max Effort Lower Body

A. Box Squats
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    205 x 5
    215 x 5
    225 x 5
    235 x 5

B. Reverse Lunges
    65 x 12
    95 x 12
    105 x 3 x 12

C. 45-Degree Hyperextensions
    25 lb. plate x 10
    35 lb. plate x 3 x 10

D. High rep abdominal circuit
    Weighted ab machine + Leg raises + decline sit-ups with 25 lbs.
    3 sets, no rest in between.

As soon as I finish typing this I'm heading out to go work on ballhandling + shooting drills.

Nah, you do them on lifting days before your weight days that way your CNS can recover before the next session. Say if you do weights monday sprints tuesday etc, your body will have no time to revover but if you do monday=sprints/ plyos/weights, tuesday upper body or rest? wed or thurs sprints/ plyos /weights, your body has a good amount of time to recover between workout days, nearly all sprinters train this way, with there Sprints in the Am then weights ususally after in the PM. That thread in the sport section by speed expert (really big thread) explains all this pretty well.

The hill sprints are really easy on your joints and stuff you may even want to start at 2x a week hill sprints then some light intensity plyos/med ball throws after. Just make sure you have full recovery between sprints. 15 sprints + plyos takes about 30min so its not alot of time.

You should def consider moving it, youl get much more advice over there and the owner always gives free help to everyone that has a log, and his pretty knowledeable.

http://www.adarq.org/forum/progress-...ches-standing/
    You can see the first 2 months when i was doing sprints i got to training faster/jumping higher etc, and the last month been lazy and stopped them and its athletiscism has def gone down hill
    Ah okay. Thanks for all the help man, I appreciate it.

Weighed in at 158.. Lost some weight but I can see the difference in my quickness. Unfortunately I lost some strength too though.

Did some hill sprints like kbm recommended. I started doing them on this dark secluded road that looked like an ambush rape waiting to happen. After my first sprint I started hearing dogs barking and rustles in the bushes, so I picked a different road to do sprints on. Ended up finding a nicely lit area with a steep incline.

I did 10 reps of about 25 yard sprints. I wanted to do 15 but SHIN SPLINTS are becoming a thorn in my ass. I don't know if it's because of the way I run or if it's my shoes.. but they have been buggin me since high school.

Later on, went to go lift.

Max Effort Upper Body:

A. Incline Barbell Bench (work up to max set of 3-5)
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    125 x 5
    135 x 5
    145 x 5

B. Flat DB Bench (15-20 reps, 2 max rep sets)
    35 x 15
    45 x 15
    45 x 15

C. Seated Cable Rows supersetted with Rear Delt flies

Rows:
    55 x 8
    70 x 8
    115 x 8
    115 x 8
    115 x 8

Flies:
    50 x 8
    60 x 8
    70 x 8
    70 x 8
    70 x 8

D. Barbell Shrugs
    95 x 12
    135 x 12
    135 x 12
    135 x 12

E. Hammer Curls
    25 x 10
    25 x 10
    25 x 10

smh @ how weak my lifts are. I need to get it together.

Wednesdays are usually when it gets packed for pick up games so I'm lookin forward to hoopin later on.

Just got back from some pick-up games. My shot isn't wet anymore. I mean I'll have my moments but it's nowhere near where I used to have it. I guess it's true, if you don't use it, you lose it.

I used to play ball all the time a few years ago with the same group of friends. We took a few years off because everyone is busy doin their own thing (kids, school, work). I've been playin with them again lately though, and even they said I'm not as confident as I was back then. One of my boys told me, "You don't hit 3's like you used to man."

Feelsbadman. You can bet your house that I'll be in the gym tonight bustin my ass off shooting though.

In a few hours it's Dynamic Lower Body day (plyo workout). This is my first time doing this from the WSFSB's template so I'm kinda excited to see how it goes. Shooting/ballhandling afterwards.

Dynamic Lower Body Day:

A. Box Squat into Box Jump
    8 sets x 3 of boxes about bellybutton high. (I'd say around 30 inches)

B1. Barbell Reverse lunges, front foot elevated
    65 x 10 per leg
    95 x 10 per leg
    95 x 10 per leg

B2. Step ups (24 inch box I think, slightly above knee)
    20 lb x 10
    20 lb x 10
    20 lb x 10

C. 45 degree Hyperextensions
    45 lb plate x 10
    45 lb plate x 10
    45 lb plate x 10

D. Hanging Leg Raises
    4 sets x 10

During step ups, I tried to jump up the platform on one leg like an idiot (strong knowledge of how to do step ups). This is how it turned out:

After embarrassing myself (good thing I workout late, only 2 people saw my epic fail), a lightbulb popped in my head and I started doing step ups the correct way.

Pretty good workout, I felt like I could have gone higher with the box jumps but the highest box at my gym is the 30 inch one. Do you just stack a small one on top of the 30 incher, or is that not safe?

Gonna down this protein shake and then head back to get some shooting in.

Lmao at the drawing.

Also do other stuff instead of boxjumps, they are usless for explosive power, unless they are low/medium box using weights.

See Time to get serious, yuckos22 thread.