Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice for my first "Client"

Okay shes not really a client and I'm not a certified personal trainer yet but shes a pet project of mine. Shes also my mother and after seeing my body transformation really wants me to help her. I just need some advice and some verification on what I'm telling her to do now is optimum. She's currently very Obese at 24 stone and I want at the very very bare minimum 8 stone gone by the end of the year.

I've set her on the straight and narrow with her diet. She's on a Calorie deficit, avoiding Junk foods, eating more healthy meals, Drinking only Water, Green tea and the odd Diet beverage. Shes got a couple of conditions (non severe mainly related to how unfit she is) and a hernia meaning until she starts getting more fit I've set her on very light cardio consisting of fasted daily walks and the odd gym session of light treadmill and bike cardio.

If anymore can be done to further her progress or hasten the results I'd appreciate the help.

joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Number27 View Post
    Okay shes not really a client and I'm not a certified personal trainer yet but shes a pet project of mine. Shes also my mother and after seeing my body transformation really wants me to help her. I just need some advice and some verification on what I'm telling her to do now is optimum. She's currently very Obese at 24 stone and I want at the very very bare minimum 8 stone gone by the end of the year.

I've set her on the straight and narrow with her diet. She's on a Calorie deficit, avoiding Junk foods, eating more healthy meals, Drinking only Water, Green tea and the odd Diet beverage. Shes got a couple of conditions (non severe mainly related to how unfit she is) and a hernia meaning until she starts getting more fit I've set her on very light cardio consisting of fasted daily walks and the odd gym session of light treadmill and bike cardio.

If anymore can be done to further her progress or hasten the results I'd appreciate the help.
    Even though you want to help, it is best left to professionals. Make sure she talks to her doctor before starting any sort of new nutrition or exercise program.
    Joe King MS, NASM CPT, PES, CES, SNS
    Exercise Physiologist, Personal Training Director
    joeking.trainerize.com

Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Number27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by joekingpt View Post
    Even though you want to help, it is best left to professionals. Make sure she talks to her doctor before starting any sort of new nutrition or exercise program.
    She has and shes fine to do it. Just nothing overly strenuous. Hence the very light workouts.

I should mention while I'm not a qualified professional as of yet I have been studying the field of sport for about 2 years and will be starting a SnC degree soon so at the bare minimum I know the basics.

Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    She has and shes fine to do it. Just nothing overly strenuous. Hence the very light workouts.

I should mention while I'm not a qualified professional as of yet I have been studying the field of sport for about 2 years and will be starting a SnC degree soon so at the bare minimum I know the basics.
    Then why do you have her doing fasted walks?
    Check out my blog:

http://findingtruth1.blogspot.com/

I write about life, nutrition, exercise, and my own journey to health including personal motivation, inspiration, and challenges I've been able to overcome.

I don't do excuses. Press on!

Originally Posted by Running2live View Post
    Then why do you have her doing fasted walks?
    Not necessarily fasted I usually just go with her in the morning for a walk for about an hour and its usually before either of us have eaten so technically its fasted. I don't know why it would matter anyway. Its just light exercise she can do and enjoy so she will stick to it.

Before this she was completely sedentary.
    Last edited by Number27; 02-18-2014 at 04:31 PM.

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Not necessarily fasted I usually just go with her in the morning for a walk for about an hour and its usually before either of us have eaten so technically its fasted. I don't know why it would matter anyway. Its just light exercise she can do and enjoy so she will stick to it.

Before this she was completely sedentary.
    The only thing is you're taking a bit of a risk that she might have blood sugar issues during the walk, especially if she is already obese. At least take something with you just in case she needs something for safety.

For obese people, walking is great - some mild joint movements with easy weights would also be good for her to accelerate the process of weight loss. You might also want to give her movements that will mimic her ADL profile and make her day to day life easier. Ie. climbing stairs, standing up and sitting down, lifting light loads and carrying them, rolling over in bed, etc. Just don't load her excessively (she's heavy enough likely) and keep the movements very simple.