Bill22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder Injury ? Using standard barbell (5 ft) .. not sure why?

I appreciate any responses given. I’ve spent some time looking online with no specific answers to my question or concern.

Due to lockdown with Covid, I’ve been forced to use standard equipment (weights, bars) becuz they were donated to me and I cannot afford to buy Olympic bars, weights , etc.

I’ve noticed a lot more shoulder pain during certain exercises , specifically with bench presses , incline presses . Now it’s effecting me doing overhead dumbbell presses and I am worried I have a double rotator cuff injury . Possible strain , not sure : but both shoulders hurt , r weaker and significantly hurts to lift bar off rack when benching , not so much effecting strength or reps tho; at least at this point.

The bar is a standard bar , but 5 feet long , unlike the 7 ft Olympic bar I usually use .

Does this have anything to do with it ? The fact the bar is smaller ? I had been out of lifting for years , started up again in dec, for one month lifted with this equip at home , then joined gym and returned to lift at home due to lockdown . Was benching around 150-185 at gym. . Pretty much same weight Now at home. Had some shoulder pain prior to joining gym, now it’s worse , when fine at gym. So I’m thinking it’s the smaller bar , but Why??

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You've probably had to narrow your grip and it's not agreeing with your shoulders.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Take a look at one arm landmine press

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thinner diameter bars and dumbbell handles seem to bug my shoulders more. Additionally, a 5 foot short bar may result in a narrower grip.
    If you live near a metals supplier, you could buy a 1018/1045 cold rolled 1" diameter x 7 foot steel bar and two 1" I.D. split shaft collars, add some hockey tape for grip. It might be $30.

Bill22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank You for all the responses . At first , I didn’t think it could be the placement of my hands and the width I was gripping the bar as one poster suggested , as I regularly do close grip benches for triceps. But perhaps doing Regular benches and then doing close grip, avoids pressure on the shoulders and where i have been grabbing the bar , with this 5 foot bar is that place just in between that puts the pressure more on those areas . Looks like I’ll have to avoid doing those type of movements for a while tho as both shoulders r somewhat compromised now and don’t want to make them worse or injured further . Thanks again for the replies and suggestions !