Toddy2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Umbilical Hernia

Hi All,

I've been a long time lurker on here, but I'm likely to have a lot more spare time now to enjoy the forum.
    About me I'm 44 yrs old been powerlifting for 20 years, until last week when whilst deadlifting (310kg) my hernia popped out and won't go back. I've seen my Doctor who has referred me for a consultation then surgery, so I'm likely no to have the surgery in several months. I'm in a fair amount of pain and cannot do any training which is really really depressing. I tried last night couldn't even manage 2kg dumbbells or no weight on the machines.

I'd like to hear from anyone with similar experiences in particular recover times and if what if any exercise you may have been able to do pre and immediate post operation. I've resided myself I will probably never lift heavy again and will focus more on Bodybuilding.

Any advice on things that will make my recovery more comfortable....

Thanks for reading.

adimeco will become famous soon enough. (+50) adimeco will become famous soon enough. (+50) adimeco will become famous soon enough. (+50) adimeco will become famous soon enough. (+50) adimeco will become famous soon enough. (+50) adimeco will become famous soon enough. (+50) adimeco will become famous soon enough. (+50) adimeco will become famous soon enough. (+50) adimeco will become famous soon enough. (+50) adimeco will become famous soon enough. (+50) adimeco will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was lifting 2 weeks post surgery. I had my robotic umbilical hernia repair with mesh Nov 9, 2018. I was in intense pain for the first 3 days eating pain meds every 4 hours BUT after the the 4th day pain subsided and met with my dr post op on day 12.. He gave me the go ahead to resume lifting. He told me to ease back into lifting heavy until fully healed or about 4 weeks. I did exactly that. I lifted lighter for 2 weeks and have not had any trouble or pain since week 1. I did lose 6 pounds and some strength during the first two weeks. If I were you, I would not wait several months for the operation especially with your intense pain. Schedule it ASAP and you should be back to normal in a few weeks. I was operated on in November and I have not had any issues since. No pain or any discomfort in the stomach area at all and I deadlift, squat, OHP etc on Fierce 5.

Toddy2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by adimeco View Post
    I was lifting 2 weeks post surgery. I had my robotic umbilical hernia repair with mesh Nov 9, 2018. I was in intense pain for the first 3 days eating pain meds every 4 hours BUT after the the 4th day pain subsided and met with my dr post op on day 12.. He gave me the go ahead to resume lifting. He told me to ease back into lifting heavy until fully healed or about 4 weeks. I did exactly that. I lifted lighter for 2 weeks and have not had any trouble or pain since week 1. I did lose 6 pounds and some strength during the first two weeks. If I were you, I would not wait several months for the operation especially with your intense pain. Schedule it ASAP and you should be back to normal in a few weeks. I was operated on in November and I have not had any issues since. No pain or any discomfort in the stomach area at all and I deadlift, squat, OHP etc on Fierce 5.
    Good to hear it's not all over for me, and yes I do need to get it sorted asap!