Thread: Chest Exercises

algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Chest Exercises

First I would like everyone to know that I am new to this website. I was reading it and it soon like there are some very talented people on here. I am 38 years old and have done a fair bit of exercises and dieting in the past few years and have lost 35 pounds. My height is 6'0" and weight 230. I would like to tone my body some first the chest, my waist is 36". What exercises should I start with or does it matter. I am doing bench press,curls and flys. Is this ok, do it matter the reps and the weight?

Thanks

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Use exercises that target the muscles you desire to hit.

Pick a weight that allows you to work in your desired rep range.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by algoport View Post
    First I would like everyone to know that I am new to this website. I was reading it and it soon like there are some very talented people on here. I am 38 years old and have done a fair bit of exercises and dieting in the past few years and have lost 35 pounds. My height is 6'0" and weight 230. I would like to tone my body some first the chest, my waist is 36". What exercises should I start with or does it matter. I am doing bench press,curls and flys. Is this ok, do it matter the reps and the weight?

Thanks
    1. Diet is everything (you can work out till your face turns blue but unless you your diet is in check you are wasting your time) I always like to reiterate how important this is.

2.now that we got #1 that out of the way. As far as what exercises to do, it really is up to you. what works for others may not work out for you. There are so many exercises out there that target all your muscle groups, so i suggest picking a few for each muscle group that you feel not only capable of doing but feel comfortable doing it. (ex. i got a shoulder problem so some exercises are not comfortable for me to do. So i substitute in a different one). i recommend working on compound exercises where it incorporates more than 1 muscle group to achieve that full body workout. (ex. squats, bench, deadlifts, cling and press's, pull ups, chin ups, rows etc.)

3. the weight you chose is very important not only for optimum results but for your safety as well. The rule of thumb i use is if you have to break form to lift the weight you are lifting to much. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DROPPING WEIGHT. Using correct form during each rep is way more efficiant than adding on that extra weight that keeps you from doing the exercise properly. Remember you gotta start somewhere and nothing comes quick in bodybuilding, so take it easy. Since you are new and your body is not used to a lot of lifting, this is your time to figure out what exercises you like and the correct way to do them.

Good luck
    NO PAIN NO GAIN......

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thanks

Most people will start with the biggest mover, in this case the bench press. But that comes to personal preference. There is a very big Bodybuilder in my gym that swears by doing fly's before bench to warm up and give it a good strench.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I am thinking of getting dipping bars to build chest.

algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10) algoport is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the info but with regards to dieting and I know this is hard, what type of food should I eat or where/how can i find out what I should eat.

Thanks Again

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the info but with regards to dieting and I know this is hard, what type of food should I eat or where/how can i find out what I should eat.

Thanks Again
    That is one hell of a broad question

Work your way through this thread to get some background knowedge into nutrition

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EphWurd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks Again
    My motto is eat nothing that comes out of a wrapper or a box (minus my protein bars and powder of course). Natural organic foods(ex.fruit/veggies learn to love em', after that, eggs, chicken, red meat but not too much, fish, nuts). I recommend 3 simple supplements as well (a multivitamin, protein powder for after workouts, and fish oil extract). Remember learning to eat healthy is a way of life you cant half ass it, you either do it or you dont. It sux at the beginning, but it gets easier. if you feel you want to throw in a cheat day 1 day a week where you eat what you want then go ahead (i had a cheat day every 2 weeks when i started but now i never cheat. I work to damn hard in that gym to let a few minutes of indulging on a cheeseburger set me back.), but remember, when it comes to bodybuilding you get out of it what you put in to it. In other words the more disciplined you are with your diet and exercise the better the results.
    NO PAIN NO GAIN......

Thanks for all the help and I am going to give this more of a try. How effective are push ups, I do alot of them with my feet elevated, I think they call it Military Style?

Thanks
    Again

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Use exercises that target the muscles you desire to hit.

Pick a weight that allows you to work in your desired rep range.
    Originally Posted by EphWurd View Post
    1. Diet is everything (you can work out till your face turns blue but unless you your diet is in check you are wasting your time) I always like to reiterate how important this is.

2.now that we got #1 that out of the way. As far as what exercises to do, it really is up to you. what works for others may not work out for you. There are so many exercises out there that target all your muscle groups, so i suggest picking a few for each muscle group that you feel not only capable of doing but feel comfortable doing it. (ex. i got a shoulder problem so some exercises are not comfortable for me to do. So i substitute in a different one). i recommend working on compound exercises where it incorporates more than 1 muscle group to achieve that full body workout. (ex. squats, bench, deadlifts, cling and press's, pull ups, chin ups, rows etc.)

3. the weight you chose is very important not only for optimum results but for your safety as well. The rule of thumb i use is if you have to break form to lift the weight you are lifting to much. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DROPPING WEIGHT. Using correct form during each rep is way more efficiant than adding on that extra weight that keeps you from doing the exercise properly. Remember you gotta start somewhere and nothing comes quick in bodybuilding, so take it easy. Since you are new and your body is not used to a lot of lifting, this is your time to figure out what exercises you like and the correct way to do them.

Good luck
    Originally Posted by Xuaxace View Post
    Most people will start with the biggest mover, in this case the bench press. But that comes to personal preference. There is a very big Bodybuilder in my gym that swears by doing fly's before bench to warm up and give it a good strench.

Thanks Again
    Originally Posted by Xuaxace View Post
    That is one hell of a broad question

Work your way through this thread to get some background knowedge into nutrition

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981
    Originally Posted by EphWurd View Post
    My motto is eat nothing that comes out of a wrapper or a box (minus my protein bars and powder of course). Natural organic foods(ex.fruit/veggies learn to love em', after that, eggs, chicken, red meat but not too much, fish, nuts). I recommend 3 simple supplements as well (a multivitamin, protein powder for after workouts, and fish oil extract). Remember learning to eat healthy is a way of life you cant half ass it, you either do it or you dont. It sux at the beginning, but it gets easier. if you feel you want to throw in a cheat day 1 day a week where you eat what you want then go ahead (i had a cheat day every 2 weeks when i started but now i never cheat. I work to damn hard in that gym to let a few minutes of indulging on a cheeseburger set me back.), but remember, when it comes to bodybuilding you get out of it what you put in to it. In other words the more disciplined you are with your diet and exercise the better the results.
    Thanks for all the help and I am going to give this more of a try. How effective are push ups, I do alot of them with my feet elevated, I think they call it Military Style?

Thanks
    Again
    Da fuk? How does Tyciol have the shortest response?

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    I am thinking of getting dipping bars to build chest.

BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    any workout is better than no workout

dont' forget to check the stickys

Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thanks
    Again
    Pushups -- for the most part -- are fine. You will most likely get to a point where in order to continue challenging yourself, you will need to add weights.

There is some solid advice in this thread and I think post #2 summarizes everything you need to know about losing weight and gaining strength and muscle.
    S: 455, B: 375, D: 545

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by im2manly View Post
    Da fuk? How does Tyciol have the shortest response?
    His account was hacked.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493