Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Zedd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zedd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zedd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zedd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow Velocity Diet - My Battle Against Fat (w/ Pictures)

Hey everyone,

I'm not a regular here on the forums, but I've been working to shave off the fat for a couple years now. I used to weigh in at around 275lbs! Right now though, I'm all the way down to 170! It's really great overall, I'm so happy I made the change.

However, I've been at ~170 for almost 2 months now, without being able to budge. My diet has been in check, and my exercising has been hard, but it just doesn't want to drop. I don't have much more to lose at this point, and I'm ready to shock my body into the range I want by summer. Thus, the Velocity Diet.

I wanted to see other people's experiences with this diet, but so many people change the formula for it, making it only a shadow of what it once was. This foray of mine, however, will be as close to the books as I can get, as I believe they have a solid program if you follow it the way they want it. T-Nation gives six "required" supplements for the diet, they are:

1) Metabolic Drive
    2) HOT-ROX Extreme
    3) Surge Recovery
    4) Superfood
    5) L-Leucine
    6) Flameout (Fish Oil)

Unwilling to pay the prices Biotest charges, I turned to BB.com to get suitable replacements to these, without actually changing the plan. My stack for the diet will be:

1) ON 100% Whey/100% Casein Mix
    2) MAN Scorch
    3) Chocolate Milk
    4) Phytofood
    5) L-Leucine by Supplement Direct
    6) GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil

I'll also be taking Glutamine and Creatine post-workout. The workout will be the one provided by T-Nation to be used with the Velocity Diet, and I'll be taking ~45 minute walks daily, as recommended.

I'll start tomorrow morning and will update this thread regularly. Tomorrow morning I'll also provide a starting weight and measurements of a few areas to better gauge progress. A picture of myself currently is attached (it's about 2 months old, but I really haven't changed...). I know some of you will jump out and tell me I need to bulk or that the diet is stupid or something else, but it's REALLY important to me to shed this fat by Summer, so please, leave the negativity elsewhere.

Thanks for reading, wish me luck!

PS: Attached picture is actually my progress since November. It stops at Feb, but I'm pretty much in the same spot overall, so I won't take new pictures. WILL update pictures at end, or midpoint if it's drastic. Thanks!
    Attached Images

rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good progress in those pics.

I will be checking in to see how you are doing on the V

Last edited by rtmiii; 04-09-2009 at 03:43 AM.

Zedd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zedd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zedd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zedd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Day 1

Alright, just downed my first shake. It wasn't that great, but I think it'll be better later in the day when I'm not adding as much Flax or Phytofood to them. Here are my starting stats:

Weight: 169.6

Waist: 33.5"
    Thigh: 22.5"

Will do my first workout later today, here's hoping it goes alright!

Cbooth007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great progress so far. Good luck with the V-Diet. I will be following your log and using it as a guide for my next cut.

I'm going to start on this diet may 3rd because I have almost 45 days without any military training after that. Hopefully by the end of April i will be about 170. We look about the same size. Don't know if you saw this log or not, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=107268701. Looks like he stuck pretty close to the V-diet and got some good results.

Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Leave the creatine!!!
    On 5/3/1.

Day 2

Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
    Leave the creatine!!!
    I regularly take Creatine anyway--the V-Diet forums says I can continue taking 5g a day as long as I was taking it previously. Why would you suggest I leave it?

Well the first day is in the bag. The workout was quite refreshing actually. Did my NEPA walk too. For the most part, my appetite was in control the whole day, although I did feel a twinge of hunger late last night--a cup of green tea solved the problem.

I start Day 2 at 166lbs, so that's a 3.6lb drop from yesterday. Pretty much all water weight I'm sure, but it was still pleasant to see the drop! Now, time to go make that morning shake...

Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rockfella will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^ coz creatine leads to a bit of water retention....
    On 5/3/1.

Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
    ^ coz creatine leads to a bit of water retention....
    But no significant amount if I had already been taking it previously. Besides--I'm not doing this diet to lose water weight

I'll stick with the creatine for now.

ur wish, take BSN NO Xplode instead...... or hydroxycut
    Originally Posted by Zedd View Post
    But no significant amount if I had already been taking it previously. Besides--I'm not doing this diet to lose water weight

I'll stick with the creatine for now.
    On 5/3/1.

ghengisconor is just really nice. (+1000) ghengisconor is just really nice. (+1000) ghengisconor is just really nice. (+1000) ghengisconor is just really nice. (+1000) ghengisconor is just really nice. (+1000) ghengisconor is just really nice. (+1000) ghengisconor is just really nice. (+1000) ghengisconor is just really nice. (+1000) ghengisconor is just really nice. (+1000) ghengisconor is just really nice. (+1000) ghengisconor is just really nice. (+1000)
    170 at 5 foot 11? How far down are you trying to get? Don't want to keep you from making a big decision like this, but just be careful.

I definitely think you've got a good stack going there, but I personally would exclude the chocolate milk b/c of the sugar content.

Definitely going to keep comin back here and seeing your progress.

Forgot to say: Good progress Zedd.
    On 5/3/1.

Originally Posted by ghengisconor View Post
    170 at 5 foot 11? How far down are you trying to get? Don't want to keep you from making a big decision like this, but just be careful.

I definitely think you've got a good stack going there, but I personally would exclude the chocolate milk b/c of the sugar content.

Definitely going to keep comin back here and seeing your progress.
    Just want to get rid of the flab. It's not obvious to some people, but I really hate it. I'd love to just see what my abs look like for once...then, from there, I'll either maintain over the Summer or start a bulking program--it'll depend on how happy I am with the results. I want to be around 10%BF, and right now I'm at about 18% so...

Day 2 is going fine so far. Two shakes down, no problems. Still feel fine overall. In fact, I feel a bit full... Although a desire to eat solid food is certainly there. My HSM (Healthy Solid Meal) will be an oatmeal breakfast on Mondays.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Edit: Concerning the Chocolate Milk, I selected it to replace Surge post-workout due to the information presented in this article:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-recovery.html

Edit 2: Just compared my Chocolate Milk to the Surge label--Mayfield just has 1g more sugar per serving, so I don't really think it'll be a big deal. Especially since it's just a cup three days a week.
    Last edited by Zedd; 04-10-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Day 3

Woke up to 164.6 this morning, so thats a drop of 1.4lbs. Felt kind of fatigued at points yesterday, but still completed my NEPA walk. Speaking of the walk, my shins feels sore today. I think this is because of the inclines in my neighborhood. Kind of odd since I walk it all the time anyway, but lower calories and all...

Looking forward to my workout today.

So just a note to others considering this diet:

The blender is your best friend. As I've experimented with the shakes, by far I've enjoyed the blended ones best. Moreover, I've found that adding a bunch of ice to it and eating it with a spoon (and a straw, as some will inevitably be liquid) is delicious. It feels more filling that way too, and forces you to slow down and enjoy it rather than just chug it down(which I was doing previously).

Anyway, two shakes down on Day 3, my gym doesn't open until 1PM today, so I'm going to do some housework until then, then get my workout done.

Had to prepare some food for my little brother today. Slacker sleeps until about noon every day! Anyway, he wanted Taquitos and I've been preparing those for him in the oven. The smell is amazing... Despite wanting them, my temptation IS in check and I don't feel like breaking the diet or anything, so that's good.

Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    zedd, good job on the weightloss. look good.

will be following
    No crew

Day 4

Originally Posted by Salonpas View Post
    zedd, good job on the weightloss. look good.

will be following
    Thanks for the encouragement!

Weighed in at 163.6lbs this morning. 1lb drop from yesterday, and 6lbs total. I am SORE this morning from yesterdays workout! Feels pretty awesome

I have work today, shakes were blended last night so I should be able to just grab and go. Here's hoping!

rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10) rtmiii is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So just a note to others considering this diet:

The blender is your best friend. As I've experimented with the shakes, by far I've enjoyed the blended ones best. Moreover, I've found that adding a bunch of ice to it and eating it with a spoon (and a straw, as some will inevitably be liquid) is delicious. It feels more filling that way too, and forces you to slow down and enjoy it rather than just chug it down(which I was doing previously).
    Once you have it blended, split it up into two plastic cups and place it in the freezer.

Go back an hour later for a good frozen treat!

Another option is making a brownie. I do this with the Pro-NOS chocolate.

Just a few ideas.

Originally Posted by rtmiii View Post
    Once you have it blended, split it up into two plastic cups and place it in the freezer.

Go back an hour later for a good frozen treat!

Another option is making a brownie. I do this with the Pro-NOS chocolate.

Just a few ideas.

Popsicle sounds like a pretty tasty treat--I'll have to give that a shot at some point during this diet! I'm not sure I could pull off a brownie though. I want to follow the diet to a T, and I don't really see how I can make a brownie using only whey and water

Check out the following for info on the brownie. This isnt the same powder that I use, but it is the same concept.

Check out the following for info on the brownie. This isnt the same powder that I use, but it is the same concept.

Thanks for the link man. Last shake of the day calls for peanut butter--I might try that recipe sometime if I'm looking for a hot "meal." Reps!

Thanks for the link man. Last shake of the day calls for peanut butter--I might try that recipe sometime if I'm looking for a hot "meal." Reps!
    You cant do this right now on Velocity, but....

I recently attempted a few things with vanilla. What I liked the best was

- mix with water into a pudding type consistency
    - drip some sugar free maple syrup into the mix
    - let if sort of funnel down into the vanilla mixture
    - microwave for 4 minutes or until baked

Turned out to be a very think pancake!

Actually, I was thinking about trying the vanilla Pro-NOS as a pancake batter one of these days.

Day 5

So today I weighed in at... 163.4. That's only a .2 drop. Kind of frustrating when you're on such a strict diet. I did everything right too.

Oh well, a drop is a drop! I think I look better in the mirror too... Today is my HSM day. Off to have oatmeal!

Edit:

Ugh. Today is going to be a rough one. Things didn't go well with the oatmeal. Assuming that Leucine was tasteless, I added my usual scoop of the stuff to my oatmeal. Ruined the taste, which is a shame since I only get one solid meal a week

In addition, I just feel awful today. My soreness seems worse from my workouts, not better. I just feel raw today. Sapped of energy at the moment. Hopefully the day picks up as I move on--I have to work tonight so I'll need some energy.
    Last edited by Zedd; 04-13-2009 at 06:18 AM.
    "I follow my heart, it knows in what direction I must go. I have no plan, only my drive. That and only that is what keeps me going." - Pauline Nordin

Return to a time long ago!
    http://www.legendaryfansite.com

Oh
    My
    God.

Dude, thank you SO MUCH for this. I just mixed a little bit of water into my whey, microwaved it, and WHAM, it's like a brownie. I had no idea that would happen. It's DELICIOUS!! Thank you so much, just a single bite and my entire day seemed better!
    "I follow my heart, it knows in what direction I must go. I have no plan, only my drive. That and only that is what keeps me going." - Pauline Nordin

HITpadawan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A couple of days ago I was just dying for something solid, and elected to just eat my peanut butter with a spoon instead of blending it in to my shake.

It felt like a little cheat, and totally helped my willpower.

Oh
    My
    God.

Dude, thank you SO MUCH for this. I just mixed a little bit of water into my whey, microwaved it, and WHAM, it's like a brownie. I had no idea that would happen. It's DELICIOUS!! Thank you so much, just a single bite and my entire day seemed better!
    Glad to hear that it worked out for ya.

It has the same nutritional value, but it feels like you are eating a solid meal.

One of these days, try the Pro-NOS Chocolate brownie. I was finding myself craving to make a second one!

Day 6

Weigh in: 163.0

Dropped .4 of a pound, which is acceptable. I feel better today, although I'm STILL sore from my workout two days ago. Going back to the gym today, think I'll do just fine but we'll see. I'm starting to adapt to the taste of my morning shake now too, I almost enjoy it!

It's not that I hate my shakes, it's just that my morning shake has the NOW Phytofood in it, and man, just a single Tbsp turns the entire shake green and noticeably changes the taste... almost made me gag the first day. Now though? It's actually alright! Maybe this is the first sign of the taste preference change that occurs on this diet (which I always doubted was true).

Regardless, I'm looking forward to tackling the day today. Off and away!

HITpadawan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, I haven't been able to stomach having the greens in my morning or dinner shakes.

My tactic is to mix a tablespoon of the stuff with the smallest possible amount of water that I can, down it in one swallow, then chase it down with a couple of drinks of my shake.

If I do the V-Diet again at some point down the road, I think I'd buy my greens in the pill form. More expensive, but worth it to make sure I get them down without spewing protein all over my kitchen.

Day 7

Well, after today, the first week will be complete. My willpower was tested yesterday, as I had "dinner" with my family. They were having hamburgers, french fries, and cole slaw. Man, I wanted those fries SO badly. Resisted and drank my shake though.

Today I woke up to 162.8, so only a .2lb drop, but it's nice to know that whatever drops at this point is just pure fat, so that's a pretty big deal. However, at a rate of .2 per day, I could just be doing a normal diet. Not having to think about it, or fight the frustration of water weight, must be worth something though.

Keep on trekking...

Well, after today, the first week will be complete. My willpower was tested yesterday, as I had "dinner" with my family. They were having hamburgers, french fries, and cole slaw. Man, I wanted those fries SO badly. Resisted and drank my shake though.

Today I woke up to 162.8, so only a .2lb drop, but it's nice to know that whatever drops at this point is just pure fat, so that's a pretty big deal. However, at a rate of .2 per day, I could just be doing a normal diet. Not having to think about it, or fight the frustration of water weight, must be worth something though.

Keep on trekking...
    That is a difficult decision. I gave Velocity a try awhile ago. I had an issues with the limited calories, so I made my own plan.

The Pro-NOS shakes taste friggen great and there are multiple flavors. The carb and fat is higher than what the V diet had, but that is fine with me. I actually enjoy these shakes,

I can also get in some solid foods if I want. I just adjust the shakes that I have for the day

wecndo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wecndo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wecndo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wecndo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wecndo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wecndo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wecndo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wecndo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wecndo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wecndo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wecndo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Stick with it man. I did the V-Diet last summer and it definitely works. My one bit of advice is to add some sodium here and there. I actually fainted twice last summer because I think my blood pressure was incredibly low.
    295/425/475
    Total:1195 lbs

"oh my god! those are like even bigger than popeye's arms!!!" - girl in multimedia class describing taylor lautner's arms
    *facepalm* (yes mad, yes jealous of excessive female attention)