Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Finding my Potential empresscat's Avatar
    empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000)

EmpressCat's transformation - a whole life change

MY STORY:

I have been overweight my entire adult life, since I topped 200 pounds. A few years ago, I was nearly 300, and had some health problems associated with my weight. I brought my weight down, losing the first 70 pounds with diet alone... and then I started working out, and loved the way I felt. I got down to 212 - with fantastic muscularity in my legs. I had dated a bodybuilder around that time, and found myself wondering what the possibilites were. How far could I take my body? I love pushing my limits - but in the past it had been mostly mental.

But I had friends on one hand telling me I looked good chubby. And other freinds telling me that muscular women aren't attractive. So I didn't push it. I set it on the back burner - and in the meantime, I was faced with the near-fatal illness of my father. I ate for comfort. After he recovered, my mother was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. I ate more. I gained back most of the weight I'd lost - up to 259.

My mother passed away this June at the age of 54. There isn't a lot I can do to minimize my own high risk of breast cancer. But I can help support reearch by participating in the 3-Day Walk. And I can improve my own physical fitness.

But honestly, there's a large part of me who really wants to look like a fitness model in a bikini. So, fitness is all well and good - but my real goal is to be a hottie!

Before pics (I've actually lost 21 pounds since those were taken - time for new photos!):
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/empres.../ph//my_photos

Pics of me close to my lowest adult weight (around 2 years ago) :
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/empres...gate/my_photos
    Last edited by empresscat; 08-24-2006 at 06:01 AM.

empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000)

What I'm Doing

I started at 259. I'm currently 241. I want to get down to around 140, though I am not attached to the number, as I don't know what my body in good condition with nice muscularity will weigh.

Only definite weight goal is to get below 200 by Valentine's day. This, because I seem to have a mental block about the 200-pound mark.

Diet:

I am doing nutrisystem with my sister, and adding extra protein. I also add carbs and a little fat on the days I walk for more than 2 hours.

It seems like a well-balanced diet, though if I had time to be cooking on my own I know I could do a bit better. (I used to be a chef, so when I have time I love to cook - and I know how to cook lean and healthy.)

I average 1500-1600 calories most days, and about 2000-2200 on days when I am doing my long walks.

Exercise:

Walking, lots of it.
    Wed/Th - Treadmill, between 3 and 5 miles at a pace averaging around 3.5 mph

Sat/Sun - Long walks outdoors. Last weekend, I walked 12 miles Saturday, and 9 Sunday. This was an amazing feat, considering the weather right now in Dallas. (It was over 90 before 9am.) Some weekends it will be a bit more, but usually it's a little less.

Weight training:
    Tues/Friday, full body

Seated Dumbbell Press
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Bench Dips
    Lat Pulldowns
    Standing Dumbbell Curls
    Dumbbell Rows

Lying Leg Curls
    Leg Press
    Lunges
    Squats
    Calf Raises

Crunches

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome Cat!
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

Last Night's Workout

As usual, didn't get out of work on time. Got to the gym around 6:15.

I was planning to walk 4 miles on the treadmill, but I've had wicked congestion. Not sure if it's allergies or a cold, but I've had all kinds of nasty stuff and had been coughing all day.

I did 2.6, at a slightly lower speed than usual (I usually go 3.4-3.6, I was at 3.0-3.2) and stopped to refill my water bottle - when I started coughing like mad, and got dizzy - so I decided not to push it. I am on the mend, and today should be better. 5 miles tonight. I may go slow, but I'll get it in.

Was a little high on my calories for the day, 2100, but I'm not too worried about that. It's still a caloric deficit.

I also weighed in a day early (usually do it Th,) and I'm down to 238! That's 21 pounds since 7/9. I was concerned, because after my weekend walks on Sunday, I ended up getting fajitas - and nibbling on them all afternoon. Beef and chicken, a little cheese, full fat sour cream (just a tablespoon, but still!), guacamole, flour tortillas, spanish rice, beans... I was sure I'd undone any weight loss I'd had for the week - but fortunately, I was wrong.

One year to a bikini body!

justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome, Cat. We'll be watching your progress - you did it before, you'll do it again. Curious - how tall are you? Couldn't tell from your pics - but I"m guessing around the same height as my wife.
    When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
    When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
    When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
    I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter,
    And I must have my freedom.
    Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Registered subduer stephenlouis's Avatar
    stephenlouis is just really nice. (+1000) stephenlouis is just really nice. (+1000) stephenlouis is just really nice. (+1000) stephenlouis is just really nice. (+1000) stephenlouis is just really nice. (+1000) stephenlouis is just really nice. (+1000) stephenlouis is just really nice. (+1000) stephenlouis is just really nice. (+1000) stephenlouis is just really nice. (+1000) stephenlouis is just really nice. (+1000) stephenlouis is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by empresscat
    As usual, didn't get out of work on time. Got to the gym around 6:15.

Was a little high on my calories for the day, 2100, but I'm not too worried about that. It's still a caloric deficit.

I ended up getting fajitas - and nibbling on them all afternoon. Beef and chicken, a little cheese, full fat sour cream (just a tablespoon, but still!), guacamole, flour tortillas, spanish rice, beans... I was sure I'd undone any weight loss I'd had for the week - but fortunately, I was wrong.

One year to a bikini body!
    Welcome to my world ...with the exception of the bikini.

You have a great attitude and I love your pictures, I am looking forward to following your transformation.
    There is no gravity, the earth just sucks.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome, EC! I enjoyed your photos also! I'm looking forward to following along as you progress.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Originally Posted by justtryn
    Welcome, Cat. We'll be watching your progress - you did it before, you'll do it again. Curious - how tall are you? Couldn't tell from your pics - but I"m guessing around the same height as my wife.
    I'm 5' 6" - all my stats are in my bodyspace profile (just click on the pic!)

Thanks stephenlouis and Hibiscus09.

I love having my picture taken, so I hope to have some good ones along the way. I think right now I need to pose for some that give a good idea of how my bodyparts look - so I will have that for comparison later.

Actually, considering I'm doing no strength training whatsoever yet - I have a decent amount of muscularity. That is, I actually can tense up my arms and feel the triceps! Not big or nuthin, but they are there!

And my legs - well, I think it's funny that I get men who see photos of my legs asking me what I do to get them so muscular. I tell them that Irish women are born with big hips and strong legs - it's how we keep from blowing over when we're harvesting potatoes.

justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justtryn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm 5' 6" - all my stats are in my bodyspace profile (just click on the pic!)
    Oops - my bad... I'm still not used to that new feature here! Ok - maybe bb.com has had it for a while, but I just recently noticed it.

So, given your goal of becoming "buff," why are you focusing your workouts on cardio, and no strength training? Just curious.
    When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
    When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
    When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
    I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter,
    And I must have my freedom.
    Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good luck Cat! There's always someone here to give advice/encouragement. Stay focused and you'll achieve your goals.
    Jon Cole's Gym: '79 - '85
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9275071&d=1603917754

Originally Posted by justtryn
    Oops - my bad... I'm still not used to that new feature here! Ok - maybe bb.com has had it for a while, but I just recently noticed it.

So, given your goal of becoming "buff," why are you focusing your workouts on cardio, and no strength training? Just curious.
    No prob! I know most people don't look there... just pointing it out for the curious.

Right now, I'm training for the Breast Cancer 3-Day walk in October.
    It's over 60 miles. So I'm focused on walking - and am adding some strength training now.

Once the walk is over, I'll flip from 4 days walking and 2 of lifting to 4 days lifting and 2 days of cardio (probably will be taking tae kwan do.)

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome.

need to work on my shins

It's not unusual for me to feel a burn in the arches of my feet (they're a bit high) and in my shins as I'm beginning a walk. It starts a few minutes in, and usually it lessens after the first mile or so.

One of the nice things about walking as exercise is that I can start slow as a warm up, with nice long strides that stretch my muscles.

Tonight, though, my shins just did not ever stop burning. I kept pushing it, stopped for a couple of minutes after the first 1.8 miles, and then pushed it another 2.2... but they just kept hurting. I never hit my stride, and the whole way I felt like I was going to need to stop any second. But I was OK, and I think they will only be slightly sore tomorrow.

I guess I need to find a better stretch for my shins.

It might also be the artificial way that the treadmill forces you to walk... it's not the same. I can hardly wait for the weather to cool down so I can walk outside in the evenings. I mean, damn - it's after ten and it's still 93.

Dallas is NOT my favorite weather, but my loved ones are all here. *sigh*

(Speaking of loved ones... my workout may have been effected by emotional stuff, too... I turned down sex with the hottest man I know, a dear friend and lover for a few years now, because he won't consider actually having a "relationship" with me. We've always been friends with benefits - I hope the loss of benefits doesn't mean the loss of a friendship... )

crooked

I really need to try to save up to go to a chirpractor, and get some massage.

I have had a consistent problem with my spinatus muscles on both sides, but mostly the right, for over a year now. They are knotty and tight. I stretch, perhaps not as consistently as I could, but frequently.

Also, my right hip gets tight.

The right side is where I strained my piriformis so badly.

My right ankle, and sometimes right shoulder pop when I rotate them. (I hate that bone-on-bone grinding feeling.)

The sub-scapular muscles on the right side frequently are tight and sore.

I think if you looked carefully, I'd bet my right side is compressed.

Really, I am tight and knotted up all over the place. It's been an extraordinarily stressful year (more like 14 months.) And I've gotten a couple of freebie massages from friends - but need some more serious bodywork.

Maybe I oughta impose on my apuncturist/massage therapist friend down in Austin. I've given him a couple of freebies, so he might do a couple of sessions for me.

NASAMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) NASAMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) NASAMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) NASAMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) NASAMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) NASAMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) NASAMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) NASAMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) NASAMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) NASAMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) NASAMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Wow your a hottie! And probably married (women that look like you always are or have some psycho jealous boyfriend) right?

Congrats on your progress, your are definetly a very attractive lady.
    GOOD MORNING,

WELCOME TO THE
    UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Press "1" for English.
    Press "2" to disconnect until you have
    learned to speak English.

jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Awesome adventure you are now on! Major props to you; and you've been repped! Good luck
    You never know how far you can go until you've gone too far.

My Starting Strength/NHA Stack Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=859824

d77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) d77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) d77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) d77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) d77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) d77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) d77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) d77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) d77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) d77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) d77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's not unusual for me to feel a burn in the arches of my feet (they're a bit high) and in my shins as I'm beginning a walk. It starts a few minutes in, and usually it lessens after the first mile or so.

One of the nice things about walking as exercise is that I can start slow as a warm up, with nice long strides that stretch my muscles.

Tonight, though, my shins just did not ever stop burning. I kept pushing it, stopped for a couple of minutes after the first 1.8 miles, and then pushed it another 2.2... but they just kept hurting. I never hit my stride, and the whole way I felt like I was going to need to stop any second. But I was OK, and I think they will only be slightly sore tomorrow.

I guess I need to find a better stretch for my shins.

It might also be the artificial way that the treadmill forces you to walk... it's not the same. I can hardly wait for the weather to cool down so I can walk outside in the evenings. I mean, damn - it's after ten and it's still 93.

Dallas is NOT my favorite weather, but my loved ones are all here. *sigh*

(Speaking of loved ones... my workout may have been effected by emotional stuff, too... I turned down sex with the hottest man I know, a dear friend and lover for a few years now, because he won't consider actually having a "relationship" with me. We've always been friends with benefits - I hope the loss of benefits doesn't mean the loss of a friendship... )
    Sounds like a case of shin splints to me. Calf stretching and ice helps keep them at bay, but shin exercises pervent them. This site has some good info regarding shin exercises http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0608.htm Hope this helps and good luck on your transformation

Originally Posted by d77
    Sounds like a case of shin splints to me. Calf stretching and ice helps keep them at bay, but shin exercises pervent them. This site has some good info regarding shin exercises http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0608.htm Hope this helps and good luck on your transformation

Thanks for the link!
    Not *quite* splints - but bordering on them.

It did occur to me that the degree of soreness in my shins might be proportional to the height of the heels I wore that day. (Yesterday, 4" heels all day...)

Originally Posted by jimmari
    Awesome adventure you are now on! Major props to you; and you've been repped! Good luck
    Thanks, sweetie!

Talking first weight training day

whoo hoo!
    OK that rocked

I have a tendency to overthink - so I was convinced I'd have difficulty with doing the exercises correctly. Or I'd be such a weakling that I'd barely be able to do anything. Or I'd overestimate my strength, do something wrong, and hurt myself.

None of these things occurred.

So, here are my notes from today:

* Warm-up on the recumbent bike, 15 minutes, level 7
    Did three sets of everything, because I was trying to get a feel for the weight and form. Plan on upping the weight and doing 2 sets next time, because three simply takes way too long.

* Seated Dumbbell Press
    10x12 10x12 10x12
    A little unsure of my form on this - will have to look it up and check. (OK, checked, form was fine... or rather, I did the exercise right, but I was wobbly and sloppy - just will take time and focus to get it right.)

* Dumbbell Bench Press
    15x10 15x10 15x12 (am I counting the weight right - used 15 lb dumbbells, so that would actually be 30lbs, right? not sure the proper way to notate that)
    Way too light on that one. Also, *know* my form was off, because I barely felt it in my chest. I *did* feel it in my abs. (Checked - I was not letting the dumbbells come down far enough.)

* Bench Dips
    10 reps, 8 reps (failed on last), 7 reps (failed on last)
    On a single bench, heels on the ground. Made my wrists hurt. Not sure if that was because of the previous two exercises, or just this one.

* Lat Pulldowns
    62.5x10 75x10 (got shaky, lightheaded) 75x10 (failed at the last moment of the last rep)
    I love these. And was amazed at how heavy I was able to go with them. It's one exercise I've done with a trainer before, so I know my form is good.

* Standing Dumbbell Curls
    10x10 10x10 10x10
    Got a lot of burn on these, and had to push very hard the last half of the last set. Felt like I was wimpy with 10 lbs until a guy I know with nice arms (not a builder, just athletic, and does some weight training) said he does 20. So ten is pretty decent for a total newb.

* Dumbbell Rows (pecs, abs, and arms strating to get tired and shaky before starting these)
    Right 10x12 15x10 15x11
    Left 15x10 15x11 15x10
    Could definitely go a little heavier on these. Took a little bit to get a feel for the movement, but once I got it, I liked them.

* Lying Leg Curls
    40x10 (felt them in my back and butt, not my hams - scooted feet closer together and the next set was better) 40x10 40x10 (failure on last)
    Had to concentrate hard to be sure I kept my back relaxed and my hips down against the bench

* Leg Press
    75x10 95x10 95x10
    Held last rep on each for 5 seconds as close as possible to the weights dropping. On last set, bounced three times and failed on last return.

* Calf Raises on Leg Press
    55x10 75x10 75x10
    I thought I'd try these on the press. Not satisfied. I don't get any challenge to my balance that way. Will do these standing, unweighted at first and then with dumbbells.

* Squats
    using 12-lb bodybar, 3 sets of 15, legs shaky on last half of last set and heels starting to come off ground.
    I do deep squats. I can go all the way down (hams touching calves) and keep my feet totally flat. This is actually a position I kinda hang out in around the house. Rather than sit on the floor, I'll squat. Of course, it's not the same resting in a squat and actually making the movement... I could have gone heavier, but was more concerned about getting the form right with the bar behind my head. Thought about using the actual barbell bar - but have no clue how much that alone weighs.

* Lunges
    using 10 lb dumbbells, I was getting tired so just 2 sets, ten on each leg

Crunches
    20reps, 15, 10 (cramp!)
    Almost left these off, because I was amazed at how much all of the other exercises had worked my abs.

shin problem answered

Well, well - ask and ye shall receive.
    Got an e-mail from the 3-Day today with some general info about shoes for the event. Talked about the differences between running and walking shoes.

Many walking shoes aren't durable enough for training for and then completing a 60+ mile walk - so most people buy running shoes. I did.

But the gait of a walker and a runner is different. Some running shoes are fine for walking, some are not.

One of my pairs - the Nike Conquer, are great. Nice lift at the toe, rounded heel, vert flexible on the forefoot.

The others, the Brooks Glycerin, are not. I love the bounciness of the gel - it's better than the Nike Air, BUT they are too flat and too stiff. When my shins were hurting I was wearing these - and found that going faster, with a more running-type gait - I had less pain. (I just couldn't sustain the pace.)

So - I'll stick with my Nikes on walking days for now, and look for another pair of shoes.

jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hi Empresscat,
    Enjoying reading your story. Photos are great.
    Shin soreness is very common when walking long distances.
    When setting out your exercise journal, one easy way is this: say you do d'b bench press 3 sets each of 10 repetitions of 15lb d'bell in each hand: you'd say
    d'bell bench press:
    3x10 @ 15
    Say you only get 8 rep.s of the third set
    2x10, 1x8 @ 15
    Make sense?
    It's easier for guys cause when you lift, for example, 40 or 50 lb weights no-one thinks you're doing 40 sets or 40 reps.
    And you're right, with d'bell exercises you only list the weight of one d'bell.
    I wish you every success and will be following your progress.
    Jason.
    Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.
    Douglas Adams

Thanks for the tips!

=M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck on your quest.
    too bad stupidity isn't painful

The Germans have always had a diabolical streak in them when it comes to their machine's repairability. Krautcars should have a sticker under the hood that says: "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here with tools, and a schedule to keep."

"Leave me alone, I know what I am doing." Kimi Raikonnen

Muddling Through

10 miles at the lake.

It goes like this:
    After walking in the heat last weekend, I am determined to get up before 6am, and get out to the lake well before 7am.

But Friday, I don't get out of work quite on time, and my workout takes longer than I thought, and when I finally get home the puppies need to be fed and played with... and it's after 11 before I get to bed.

I don't get up until almost 7. Dealing with the puppies takes at least an hour, even if I think I can force it to go faster. Out to the yard, eat, play, out to the yard again. Can't stick 'em in the kennels until they've pooped. Or, well, I *could* but it wouldn't be nice to do to them.

So it's just after 8 when I get out the door. Remember I need gas, and have to stop to get some energy bars to eat along the walk. WalMart is out of Cliff bars, so I take some time looking at the info on the labels of the others. Most have too much sugar and/or have chocolate coatings. It's almost 90 out already. Oh, well, I guess a little of the fat and carbs will just stay on the wrappers.

I get to the lake, and the lot I wanted to park in is full - and people are parked for about 1/2 mile along the side of the road, both sides. Seems there's some big event going on in the park across the street. Have to find another lot.

By the time I finally get parked and am ready to walk, it's 8:50. Weather's still relatively pleasant, though, with the slight breeze off the water.

I forget how much slower I walk outdoors than on a treadmill. On the treadmill I average 3.4-3.6mph. Outdoors, I average 3mph... for the first 3 or 4 miles... and then as my feet get tired and the weather heats up, I slow down.

But walking along the lake is pleasant. White Rock Lake is the perfect place to do this. Paths on varying condition, places I can walk on the grass or dirt, bathrooms (though sometimes a bit scary) in several places. Water fountains every 2 miles, with sprayers for my head and a wide faucet to fill my bottles at. Benches, trees, picnic tables, stretching stations...

I love the dragonflies and birds, and all of the people walking, running, and riding. Everyone from serious professional athletes to families with toddlers to the guy with the biking shorts and beer gut who is bright red in the face and didn't bring a water bottle.

It's a place people respect. They don't litter. They pick up after their dogs. There is little or no graffitti in the bathrooms. Sometimes a team that is training will leave coolers at various benches around the lake - and no one takes them. About once a month, they have a clean-up day, with whomever wants to show up.

There are community centers, marinas, a dog park, and the Arboretum is next door. White Rock Lake is probably my favorite place in Dallas.

I did well on the walk... for the first 6 miles. Then I sat down for a few minutes. And it was after 11, and the heat was rising dramatically. It was very hard to get going again. My feet hurt. It was hot. I was tired.

I thought about my reasons for doing the race, to stay motivated. Thought about my mom. And instead of getting a boost of energy, I ended up crying. Good thing I was wearing sunglasses and sweating bullets. I must be close to my period. Better look at the calendar.

One mile, and I lean against a tree and shrug off my backback a moment.

Another half mile and I sit for five minutes and stretch.

by this time my pace is down to almost 2 mph. I'm hot as hell. I keep picking the next visible resting point and saying, Ok - just make it there and then sit if you need to, but know that if I do I'm a goner. So I get there, and then promise myself to rest in the next bit of shade.

At a water fountain where I refill my bottle, there's a red doggie dish filled with water - and inscribed with "In Memory of Daisy and Dixie". OK, now I start crying again. Must be hormonal, for sure.

The last mile, I'm practically crawling. The sun is reflecting off the paved walkway in waves - so I try to keep to the side of it on the grass. But there is no way I'm stopping. I just need to get back to my car. I whimper. I feel nauseous. I think of calling my sister to take me the last half mile. But finally, I make it.

Crap. I *really* need to get going earlier.
    I need, also, to not do a full body weight routine the night before I walk ten miles.

This means that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and really start getting up at 5am. Which means going to bed between 9 and ten. Not easy for a night owl. When I am not working and can set my own schedule, I'm usually up 'till 3:30-4am, and often don't go to bed 'till 5. But I've got my day job to fit into all this, and it's still over 90-degrees at 9pm... so early mornings it is, at least for a while.

God, I am so tempted to just quit my job and jump into massage full-time, set my own schedule. Unfortunately, I need to actually pay bills. So I can't until I've built up a client base.

Walking 10 miles in the Texas summer. Insanity? No - dedication. When I think of the thousands of women who train for this walk, because no matter what your physical condition, 60+ miles is not something you undertake lightly, and the conditions they do it in - some in snow through the winter, some who do the walk itself in 90 degree weather, many of them fighting their own battle with breast cancer, or walking in honor of someone who is... well, that makes me cry. And I don't even have to be hormonal for that. It's tremendously beautiful.

So, I keep muddling through the miles, training for the walk. And I still need to raise $800 in the next month and a half to even qualify. But I'll make it. I know I will. For my mom. For myself.

ouchie
    I hurt

then again, I kind of like the pain

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I thought about my reasons for doing the race, to stay motivated. Thought about my mom. And instead of getting a boost of energy, I ended up crying. Good thing I was wearing sunglasses and sweating bullets. I must be close to my period. Better look at the calendar.

It sounds like you have a really nice place to walk outdoors. I can relate to the above statement as my mom passed away after battling cancer for three years. It's a horrible thing to experience with someone you love so much. I think it's so great you're doing the walk. I'm sure your mom will be right there with you.
    Last edited by Hibiscus09; 08-27-2006 at 06:26 AM.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

GREAT JOB EMPRESSCAT!!!!

Showing some great dedication in completing that walk .... 10 miles is NO SMALL FEAT!!! (just ask the feet!!

One of my best friends has breast cancer and a bunch of us are considering doing a 3 day breast cancer walk next year ... the time required for the training does seem to be a little daunting! I will really enjoy following your journal!

Have a great day!!

goose30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goose30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goose30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goose30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    keep up the hard work!
    And working out in that dallas heat is not easy!
    Remember to eat every three hours, small meals, this has actually worked for me, after i've tried everything else.
    I always carry food with me to work.
    I'm an expert at packing a cooler of food for a 4 day trip.
    (i'm a flight attendant)
    Because eating right is half the battle.
    good luck with your progress, and keep those pics coming!