momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help for a newbie please :D

Hello

I am wondering if someone could please help me out. I am 38 years old and have been struggling with my weight and self esteem since i was a teenager. I am 38 years old, am 5'6" and 195lbs. I am tired of hating my body and have decided it is time to do something about it and i am ready to commit to something. I have been eating clean for the most part for the last 2 months and have done mostly cardio and some weights. By weights i mean light dumbells 3 and 5 lbs and using my bowflex(25lbs)at home.

I find i just dont know where to start. I posted something on the forum earlier today and was told to figure out my TDEE and i did. So what do i do with that information? Im assuming thats not how many calories i eat per day? I have been eating between 12 and 1500 cals per day. I am tracking my protein i get about 115 grams of protein per day but i have not been tracking carbs or fat but i do know that fat is well under 50 grams per day( between 24 and 30 on a high day)

How do i figure out how many calories i should be taking in? Also how many times per week for cardio versus strength training?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by momto2teens View Post
    I have been eating between 12 and 1500 cals per day. I am tracking my protein i get about 115 grams of protein per day but i have not been tracking carbs or fat but i do know that fat is well under 50 grams per day( between 24 and 30 on a high day)
    I think I read in the over 35 that you've been at this for a couple months with little results correct?

Honeslty, if you were sticking between 1200-1500 calories (which is too low btw) weight would be falling off of you. (Especially when you are new to a program and have more to lose.) Without tracking everything in terms of protein/carbs and healthy fats, you can't possibly know your absolute calorie intake. You're estimating and it's not working.

For steady fat loss get your calories up to 1900. Give yourself between 150-160 g protein and split the remaining calories between carbs and healthy fats. Weigh, measure and track everything accordingly.

You could start with a simple 3 day full body workout and throw in a few days of cardio. There is a book called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." You can get it on amazon.com for about $12. The program is already written out and it's a good place for you to start.

Good luck to you!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^ This.

Fat is not bad for you, in fact it helps - make sure it's about 1g per kg of bodyweight. And remember 1g of carbs and protein = 4cals whilst 1g of fat = 9 cals. You need to be tracking everything; get my fitness pal and just log everything you eat. You can have it on your iphone/blackberry/ipad or computer.

momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) momto2teens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for the responses. I have been getting some of my protein intake through myofustion probiotic protein powder. How do i know what a good protein powder is? Also i have been using myfitnesspal and find it helps alot in terms of being able to see what i eat and where my downfalls are.

Currently my workout routine is upper body, cardio ,lower body,rest. How long should i do the 3 day full body workout plus cardio? Btw i am working out at home with dumbbells, a total gym and a bowflex.

Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thank you for the responses. I have been getting some of my protein intake through myofustion probiotic protein powder. How do i know what a good protein powder is? Also i have been using myfitnesspal and find it helps alot in terms of being able to see what i eat and where my downfalls are.

Currently my workout routine is upper body, cardio ,lower body,rest. How long should i do the 3 day full body workout plus cardio? Btw i am working out at home with dumbbells, a total gym and a bowflex.
    Using a site to track is great, sometimes you don't see things until its on paper or a screen A good protein powder will have a decent amount of protein for the cals, the one I use is 32gs and 140 cals, some have around 20gs and the cals are higher.

It's easy to fit cardio in with a 3 day FB routine, you can either do the cardio after the weights or do it inbetween on rest days, you never want to do a full cardio session before lifting. As a beginner you can keep doing the full body routine for as long as you recover properly, once you notice that its harder to recover can't add weight or reps at a consistent pace then look into a split routine. The advantage you have right now is you can hit each body part 3 times a week which is optimal for muscle growth/retention. If you can afford it look at buying a rack and barbell, you can usually find them fairly cheap at used sports good stores and craigslist, I lucked out and got a rack, bench, Olympic BB, ez curl bar and a bunch of plates for $350.
    If this were easy, everyone would walk around ripped.

I like eating, it helps with the not dying.

Journal: Back in Black
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120569281

Originally Posted by Echo814 View Post
    Using a site to track is great, sometimes you don't see things until its on paper or a screen A good protein powder will have a decent amount of protein for the cals, the one I use is 32gs and 140 cals, some have around 20gs and the cals are higher.

It's easy to fit cardio in with a 3 day FB routine, you can either do the cardio after the weights or do it inbetween on rest days, you never want to do a full cardio session before lifting. As a beginner you can keep doing the full body routine for as long as you recover properly, once you notice that its harder to recover can't add weight or reps at a consistent pace then look into a split routine. The advantage you have right now is you can hit each body part 3 times a week which is optimal for muscle growth/retention. If you can afford it look at buying a rack and barbell, you can usually find them fairly cheap at used sports good stores and craigslist, I lucked out and got a rack, bench, Olympic BB, ez curl bar and a bunch of plates for $350.
    Thanks! By full body you mean all of the muscle groupls 3 days/week? Also how many reps and sets should i be doing for each body part?

Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks! By full body you mean all of the muscle groupls 3 days/week? Also how many reps and sets should i be doing for each body part?
    Yes, each muscle group 3 days a week and have at least 24 hours in between workouts. Whats popular is M/W/F or T/T/S with two days of rest in row. Here's a link to a good beginners program called all pros which you should be able to do with the equipment that you currently have http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=147447933. New Rules of Lifting For Woman is a good choice too, but without a a barbell you will need to do alternate exercises or not get the full benefit from it since the first stage focuses on the BB squat and deadlift.
    If this were easy, everyone would walk around ripped.

I like eating, it helps with the not dying.

Journal: Back in Black
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120569281

jackswwagar is on a distinguished road. (+10) jackswwagar is on a distinguished road. (+10) jackswwagar is on a distinguished road. (+10) jackswwagar is on a distinguished road. (+10) jackswwagar is on a distinguished road. (+10) jackswwagar is on a distinguished road. (+10) jackswwagar is on a distinguished road. (+10) jackswwagar is on a distinguished road. (+10) jackswwagar is on a distinguished road. (+10) jackswwagar is on a distinguished road. (+10) jackswwagar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think you should take 1800 -2000 calories par day and to lose your weight more quickly, you should do high intensity exercise.