Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500)

Ok, give it to me straight (chances of walking on)

First let me give you the back story. I started playing basketball back in 7th grade. I was the starting center. I wasn't really that good offensively, but I was a good rebounder and shot blocker. I only played half of the season in 8th grade because I was hospitalized with double pnuemonia. The summer before my freshman year I atteneded my school's basketball summer camp where I won the most improved player award. I was ready to play the season except my grades weren't good and I couldn't play that season. So the next year came and I was a little raw but I was still able to rebound and block shots like I used to. I was even able to dunk. In the middle of my sophomore year, I had to transfer schools so I only ended up playing half of the season (which was only four games). I was so eager to play my junior year, but I fell hard during tryouts and injured my knee. It wasn't anything serious, but it was enough to keep me from finishing tryouts, and since I was new, it wasn't like the coach knew me and had a spot for me. I was desperate to get back into the game, so I saved up my money and bought a weight set and squat rack so I could train. It was the first time I had ever done consistant weight training, so I knew I was behind but it was better to start late than never. I saw my vert go up and body fat go down and I felt ready to play my senior year. Unfortunately, I was failing a class and I saw my dreams of playing my senior year and even in college fade away. I got to a point where I was ready to walk away from basketball completely. But as I watched some of the NCAA pre-season tournaments, I thought about possibly playing in one of those. So here I am wanting to have one more chance at it. The thing is that the schools I'm thinking about attending are all D1 schools from big conferences (ACC and SEC) which brings me to my main questions:

1) Realistically, what are the chnaces I could walk-on to a D1 basketball team assuming I train hard for the next year? I'm not talking about any sort of miraculous inspirational movie type of chances. I need to know straight up.

2) If my chances are slim to none, what can I do speciffically to increase them (physically, skill wise, mentally, etc.)?

Here are some stats:
    -Height: 6'4.5"
    -Weight: 190 lbs.
    -Body Fat: 12%
    -Standing Vert: 27"
    -Running Vert: 32"
    -Bench Press 1RM: 170 lbs.
    -Squat 1RM: 270 lbs.
    -Deadlift 1RM: 290 lbs.
    -Originally my position was Center, but I have moved to the Small Forward recently. My handles aren't great, but they are getting batter each day. I'm a really streaky shooter. I have times when I can hit 10 straight threes and time where I can't even hit an eight foot jumper. I'm pretty sure that that's all mental though. I used to have a much high vert, but it went down when I hurt my knee cause I kinda got depressed that I wasn't playing so I didn't do much for a couple months. I haven't played an actual five on five game in over two years. Everything I've done has been one on one and three on three pick up games.

I don't need anyone to try and say nice things just to be encouraging. I can get motivated pretty easily myself. I just feel like I need to know what I'm really gonna be up against. If there's no chance at all then I won't be upset. I've gotten to a point in my life where I can except things not going the way that I've wanted it to (four games of J.V. basketball in four years isn't exactly anyone's ideal situation lol).

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Realistically? Your chance of walking on and actually making the team? I would say very slim to none. You have to remember that these big schools 1) are recruiting players year 'round and 2) have huge student populations, many of whom played basketball in high school. Take KU as an example, in the past 6 years the walkons have been all-metro, all-state, and a North Carolina Mr. Basketball nominee. KU normally has 20-24 players try out for 1 walkon spot. Because of the relatively small roster size of basketball, compared to a sport like football, those spots are at a premium.

If you really want to get back into basketball I would suggest you look into either a postgraduate prep school or a juco. Division I basketball rosters across the country are dotted with hundreds of players from prep schools and jucos.
    Last edited by Jhawk Fitness; 11-24-2006 at 05:10 PM.
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

bachovas is just really nice. (+1000) bachovas is just really nice. (+1000) bachovas is just really nice. (+1000) bachovas is just really nice. (+1000) bachovas is just really nice. (+1000) bachovas is just really nice. (+1000) bachovas is just really nice. (+1000) bachovas is just really nice. (+1000) bachovas is just really nice. (+1000) bachovas is just really nice. (+1000) bachovas is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm gonna have to agree with Coach, your best bet is to walk on a Juco or Prep school.

Keep weight training, keep playing (very important) competitively and stay on track at the Juco/Prep you decide to go to.
    "Bad habits are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of." - Anonimus -
    "My mind is like a General. And my body's like an Army." - Herschel Walker -
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity...

Recovery is key. Massages, epsom salts baths, foam rolling, sleep masks, contrast showers, it all adds up. Get a foam roller, The Stick, a tennis/baseball, use them and stay healthy, pain and injury free.

deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100)
    man if that dosnt work for you go in football man you will be something special with those stats ! get the vertical higher and you could be an wr,cb,fs,ss or maybe lb

hows u moving and 40?

DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by deltaforce View Post
    man if that dosnt work for you go in football man you will be something special with those stats ! get the vertical higher and you could be an wr,cb,fs,ss or maybe lb

hows u moving and 40?
    please shut up. The only thing good is his vert.

youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500) youngike21 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness View Post
    Realistically? Your chance of walking on and actually making the team? I would say very slim to none. You have to remember that these big schools 1) are recruiting players year 'round and 2) have huge student populations, many of whom played basketball in high school. Take KU as an example, in the past 6 years the walkons have been all-metro, all-state, and a North Carolina Mr. Basketball nominee. KU normally has 20-24 players try out for 1 walkon spot. Because of the relatively small roster size of basketball, compared to a sport like football, those spots are at a premium.

If you really want to get back into basketball I would suggest you look into either a postgraduate prep school or a juco. Division I basketball rosters across the country are dotted with hundreds of players from prep schools and jucos.
    Thanks for the honesty. I guess it's more of an uphill battle than I thought. All I can really do now is continue to work hard to become more athletic and hope for some lucky breaks along the way.

deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100)
    dangerdan? what kind of name is that go **** your mom with that name
    oo dangerdan ! i love it!!

What if I get my athleticsm to a D1 level? Say if I greatly increased my speed, vert, and strength, do you think a coach would be willing to take a chance on me? I know my numbers aren't great now, but I have a whole year in which I can get some smart, consistant training done.

deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    if your stats are d1 level you are d1 level. willingess to take a chance on you will be dependent on that. go train and start playing again, then call some coaches.

with a year? possibly depending on your talent. the only thing you can do is go try.

I know I can get it done. I tend to shut down mentally and not work as hard when it seems like I'm training for nothing. But if I know that it's possible to make it to that level, then it becomes that much easier to go after it.

T-reV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Being athletically on target won't be your only goal, and shouldn't be your only goal, I know it impresses coaches when you throw down the mega dunks on peoples heads, but when you can't learn an offence, can't play smart defence, and make silly decisions, you will be overlooked.

I'm not saying by any means that you can't make it, I'm just saying if I were you, I would be trying to play as many high level games against respected players as possible, there is no better way to get better at basketball than there is to experience it at that higher level.

Good luck with it mate.
    No Bird Soars Too High If He Soars With His Own Wings...

Position wise, what do you guys recommend? Should I keep playing forward or should I become a guard? I've never played guard so I wouldn't really know where to start with that.

oside78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oside78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oside78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oside78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oside78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oside78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oside78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oside78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oside78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oside78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oside78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    well to be honest man, if you have to ask, your already behind....I mean, Im doing the same thing, but for football, and I know exactly what Im facing and what I need to improve on....I f-ed up an offer at fresno state for DE cause I didnt take SATs so now i have to walk on at a juco cause I didnt take em, Im a non-qualifier....

if you think you can do it, train your f-ing ass off and MAKE yourself make the team....if you havce to be the ball bitch for a year, so what, your proving to the coach your solid and dependable....sometimes thats more important than a flake with a little more skill
    "Airbornes over rated, I rather truck in...."
    "yeah, but trucks are IED magnets..."
    "and what, a C-130 is a stealth bomber?!?!"

Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by youngike21 View Post
    First let me give you the back story. I started playing basketball back in 7th grade. I was the starting center. I wasn't really that good offensively, but I was a good rebounder and shot blocker. I only played half of the season in 8th grade because I was hospitalized with double pnuemonia. The summer before my freshman year I atteneded my school's basketball summer camp where I won the most improved player award. I was ready to play the season except my grades weren't good and I couldn't play that season. So the next year came and I was a little raw but I was still able to rebound and block shots like I used to. I was even able to dunk. In the middle of my sophomore year, I had to transfer schools so I only ended up playing half of the season (which was only four games). I was so eager to play my junior year, but I fell hard during tryouts and injured my knee. It wasn't anything serious, but it was enough to keep me from finishing tryouts, and since I was new, it wasn't like the coach knew me and had a spot for me. I was desperate to get back into the game, so I saved up my money and bought a weight set and squat rack so I could train. It was the first time I had ever done consistant weight training, so I knew I was behind but it was better to start late than never. I saw my vert go up and body fat go down and I felt ready to play my senior year. Unfortunately, I was failing a class and I saw my dreams of playing my senior year and even in college fade away. I got to a point where I was ready to walk away from basketball completely. But as I watched some of the NCAA pre-season tournaments, I thought about possibly playing in one of those. So here I am wanting to have one more chance at it. The thing is that the schools I'm thinking about attending are all D1 schools from big conferences (ACC and SEC) which brings me to my main questions:

1) Realistically, what are the chnaces I could walk-on to a D1 basketball team assuming I train hard for the next year? I'm not talking about any sort of miraculous inspirational movie type of chances. I need to know straight up.

2) If my chances are slim to none, what can I do speciffically to increase them (physically, skill wise, mentally, etc.)?

Here are some stats:
    -Originally my position was Center, but I have moved to the Small Forward recently. My handles aren't great, but they are getting batter each day. I'm a really streaky shooter. I have times when I can hit 10 straight threes and time where I can't even hit an eight foot jumper. I'm pretty sure that that's all mental though. I used to have a much high vert, but it went down when I hurt my knee cause I kinda got depressed that I wasn't playing so I didn't do much for a couple months. I haven't played an actual five on five game in over two years. Everything I've done has been one on one and three on three pick up games.

I don't need anyone to try and say nice things just to be encouraging. I can get motivated pretty easily myself. I just feel like I need to know what I'm really gonna be up against. If there's no chance at all then I won't be upset. I've gotten to a point in my life where I can except things not going the way that I've wanted it to (four games of J.V. basketball in four years isn't exactly anyone's ideal situation lol).
    I think you can take everything that's happened to you two different ways.

1) Everything that's happened has been there to motivate you. That way when you make it, you can look back on the hurdles you've overcome.

2) It's all a sign that you probably weren't meant to play. Over five years, you've only played one full season which was in seventh grade even though you've put in the effort to come back each year.

As far as your first question, your chances would have been small even if you did play this year (mainly because of lack of experience). But because you didn't play this year, your chances are almost non existant. I only say that because making it to that level takes desire, even if you're a McDonald's All American. I haven't seen a burning passion out of you really. A coach I had once sat us all down before tryouts and gave us a quote that read "Quitting something you don't desire to do doesn't make you a quitter. It just makes you wiser than the person who continues to do it for all the wrong reasons." The main point of that quote is that if you don't have the desire to do it, then quit. Simple as that. If this is something that is burning inside of you and you dream about cutting down the nets after winning a NCAA championship or one day walking up to shake David Stern's hand in New York City during the Draft, then continue on. That desire will take a lot further than you think it will. But if it's something where you still like to play basketball and think it would be kinda cool to play D1 and have people watch you on TV, then stop right at this moment. You have an opportunity to start the next chapter of your life when you head to college. The last thing you should do is waste you time doing something you really have no TRUE passion for. I didn't write this to break your spirits, I wrote this to give you the truth. That's all.

Maybe you're right. I'm probably not cut out for this. If I was, I'd probably be playing right now. So where do I go from here?

deron2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

wait how could u possibly walk on to a D1 program when your grades aren't even right so what i suggest is getting your grades right first and then think about BBall

Do that voodoo that he do Borris's Avatar
    Borris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Borris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Borris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    JHawk has the right idea.

You may or may not be physically up to the level of a D1 basketball player. Also consider the level. You have the top level big schools (UConn, Duke, etc) and you mentioned an ACC or SEC school. What if you were aspire to go to a lower level Div I school? Vermont? New Jersey Tech? There are hundreds of these lower level schools. These schools are still going to be tough to break into, but not as tough. Realistically you'd be best off going to a prep school or junior college for a year or two. It'll be easier to make these teams and you'll get a real feel for the game.

At this point you need to worry about being the best basketball player you can be. You certainly should be getting into shape and building up your physical stats, but how's your skills? Work with a real coach. There are several in most cities. They're former NBA or college guys that make their living training basketball players. Find one and improve your skills.
    Get big, get strong, get fast: www.wilkinspower.com

Got Strength? www.Gotstrengthblog.com The life and times of a private strength coach. Laugh, cry, get in shape.

The schools I applied to are big programs, but I probably will consider finding a smaller D1 program. But assuming that I chose to attend one of these big schools, what specific steps do I need to take as far as increasing athleticsm, improving skills, and getting noticed is concerned?

R.I.P. Grandma 5/12/07 user178944's Avatar
    user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Here are some stats:

no way in hell,, ur only 6'4".5 and you weigh 190...no possible way in one year, way too much experience you dont have, your streaky...so many things man, your weak, you dont even have the high school experience...i would reccomend working hard for a year and maybe being lucky to have a chance to play on a community college team....gfo ot some CC open gyms, you can see where you stand against those guys.. CC players alone, are way bigger then you, they will walk all over you...well depends where your from...where are you from?

R.I.P. Grandma 5/12/07 user178944's Avatar
    user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DangerDan View Post
    please shut up. The only thing good is his vert.
    X2 seriously...and he probably measured vert wrong..

put it like this i have a little over 27 in now man and im 15 and 5'11

so if i make it to a d1 school and my grades are bad i wont be accepted or when i get in i will struggle?

bxbombers is on a distinguished road. (+10) bxbombers is on a distinguished road. (+10) bxbombers is on a distinguished road. (+10) bxbombers is on a distinguished road. (+10) bxbombers is on a distinguished road. (+10) bxbombers is on a distinguished road. (+10) bxbombers is on a distinguished road. (+10) bxbombers is on a distinguished road. (+10) bxbombers is on a distinguished road. (+10) bxbombers is on a distinguished road. (+10) bxbombers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ya dont bother walking on. drink your ass off every night, dont schedule a class before noon, get laid as much as you can, and enjoy the best 4 years of your life. or you can walk on. be everyones bitch, get no scholorship, wake up at 6am, and have no life at all.

Shitin' and Miscin' teriyakisaki's Avatar
    teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    its very difficult to walk on to basketball teams, especially if they are any good. due to limited roster sizes, there are very few spots to begin with. throw in the fact that the coaches spend time looking across the nation for players to fill those spots, theres MAYBE 1 or 2 spots if any available. even if youre the best at your spot, you still may not be what they are looking for. that being said, its worth the shot. its better to try it out and know it wasnt meant to be than to sit around and wonder what if.

Moyinoko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I dunno about all the physical stuff guys. I know someone here that walked on the University of Tennessee basketball team. He's not very thick or anything, but he can play. Scored his first basket not too long and a 3 pointer at that. Basically numbers are just numbers, I think if you tryout and can impress them with your skills and show them you can move, they probably wont give a crap about how much you squat.

Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500) Bron_bron is not very helpful. (-500)
    Maybe you're right. I'm probably not cut out for this. If I was, I'd probably be playing right now. So where do I go from here?
    Not necessarily. A lot of guys are like you in that they underestimate their skill level. You may be a lot better than you think, you just lack confidence because you haven't gotten a lot of experience. Try and find a rec leaugue or a camp you can gain experience from. Also you may want to consider going to a smaller D1 school. It still won't be a guarenteed thing, but you have a better chance and you'll be getting experience on a D1 level so you can transfer to a bigger school. And just like Moyinoko said, if you can play, nothing else is gonna matter. You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain at this point.

Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    honestly, the best way you can get a chance to tryout for a school is if you know someone.

if you know someone who knows the coach, then you could get a chance.

but realistically, i doubt you can play.

fludstud is on a distinguished road. (+10) fludstud is on a distinguished road. (+10) fludstud is on a distinguished road. (+10) fludstud is on a distinguished road. (+10) fludstud is on a distinguished road. (+10) fludstud is on a distinguished road. (+10) fludstud is on a distinguished road. (+10) fludstud is on a distinguished road. (+10) fludstud is on a distinguished road. (+10) fludstud is on a distinguished road. (+10) fludstud is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    what i did was write all the coaches letters at the schools your wanting to maybe attend...and first off see if they are even having open tryouts...then ask them when and all that, and inform them of your stats and tell them to keep an eye out for you
    "they punish the people whos askin questions while other suckers is guessin" Tupac Shakur

Originally Posted by Jersey Mauler View Post
    honestly, the best way you can get a chance to tryout for a school is if you know someone.

if you know someone who knows the coach, then you could get a chance.
    I don't get how knowing someone is gonna get me a better chance. I thought that if someone shows up to the open tryouts and can play, then that's all that matters. Maybe it's just my own ignorance of the whole subject but I'm just curious as to how that would work.

mattyoc3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattyoc3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattyoc3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattyoc3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattyoc3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattyoc3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattyoc3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattyoc3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattyoc3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattyoc3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattyoc3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    you most likely wont, walking on in D1 basketball doesnt happen to regular players, and there arent any 6'4" Small Forwards with bad ball handling out there. And with no experience like u have. a kid that graduated from my school was a 6'4" like 220lbs ripped, played 3 years varsity part of state championship teams and went off to college to Villanova and as far as i know didnt even tryout, people dont walk on in D1 basketball in big schools like that. if u want a shot at basketball for kicks and ****s than go to a junior college or a D3 school and hope to even make the team, college basketball is very competitive everywhere.

i would love to make a D1 school basketball team and ride the bench my whole career but the fact is I couldnt even get to sit on the bench for D1 schools unless i was all city or all state.
    “Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Whenever my dog is sleeping i check to make sure he's still alive CREW

Jewelz0376 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here I can help you out....I played a Portland St. and I left school because of some issues with my family and I wanted to transfer to a better hoop school anyways...I just signed to go play at Fresno St. (watchin them on espn against georgia right now).....You don't really have any chance to be a walk on at mid major let alone a major conference sec school....I saw your 6'4 with no handles?? If your 6'4 trying to walk on at a D1 school...you have to be a 1 or you have no chance....I'm 6'8 210lb to 215lb and I play I play some 2 & 4...but I mostly play as a 3 cuz I can handle the ball....If I were you and your really serious about playing..go to a JC and play there...and then try to transfer from there....you mostly likely won't get looks from a d1 or d2 school, but you could maybe get looks from a d3 or naia school.

I think some people under estimate exactly HOW GOOD you have to be to even be a walkon on a d1 team.....most walkons at big d1 schools are recruited....when i played in hs one of my teammates was being recruited by stanford, but they wanted him to be a walkon
    Last edited by Jewelz0376; 03-14-2007 at 05:08 PM.