NNewell979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Critique My Diet & Program: Please Help! Carb Cycling????

Ok... I'm starting to get back into working out. I use work out for pitching in college... but have since let myself go.

I'm currently 228 with 25.5% bodyfat (~171lbs lean mass). Not a lot of upper body strength (for baseball, was focused on leg strength and conditioning).

I was 262lbs and did quit well on a loose South Beach style diet. (yes, I'm sure I scraficed some muscle mass.... but as they say, "If I only knew then, what I know now").

But over the last month I've been working in a moderate exercise and weight training routine. But now I'm ready to turn things up a notch......

I really like the "Ultimate Muscle, Weight-Loss Workout" in this past FitnessRx.

I'm structuring my 'body recomposition plan' around that.

My workouts will be as follows:

Sunday - Chest/Shoulders/Back:
    Each Bullitt is Back-to-Back sets:
    - Bench Press/Lat Pulldowns (1 set 12reps ea.)
    - Bench Press drop-set to failure/Lat Pulldowns drop-set to failure
    - Shoulder Press/Barbell Rows (1 set 12reps ea.)
    - Shoulder Press drop-set to failure/Barbell Rows drop-set to failure
    - Front Raises/Side Raises/Rear Raises (1 set 12reps ea.)
    - Front Raises/Side Raises/Rear Raises: drop-sets to failure

Monday: Interval Aerobics
    Tuesday: Arms (similar to Chest/Shoulders/Back)
    Wednesday: Interval Aerobics
    Thursday: Legs (similar to Chest/Shoulders/Back)
    Friday: Interval Aerobics
    Saturday: REST

All workouts are followed by some light cardio. From reading this forum, I've decided to keep my heart rate during cardio around 60%-70%MHR (Only because if the type of diet I am thinking about... I want to try to burn fat calories, not protein or muscle during the cardio).

Ok, so that pretty much sums up the workout I'm planning for the next 2-3 months. I would definitely appricate any feed back, comments, or suggestions on my workout plan.

But the main reason for this post is my Diet!!! Everywhere I read throughout this site, a completely different diet plan is being promoted.... "Macrobolic Diet": 45%carb, 35%pro, 20%fat, the carb or calorie cycling, the Keto diet. I can't figure out what would be best. Since I've had success dropping weight on the low carb type (south beach style), and I like my meats and protein products, I was thinking of doing something close to that. I would like to enjoy some carbs once in a while.... so I've been thinking of the carb cycling approach like the one listed in this BodyBuilding.com article:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

I was thinking of structuring it like this:
    - Minimum of 1g of protein per pound of lean mass
    - Keep total calories from fat <25% of total diet
    - Cycle low carb days <=50g, moderate carba days ~100g, High carb days as follows:
    Sunday - Chest/Shoulders/Back: Moderate Carb
    Monday - Interval Aerobics: Low Carb
    Tuesday - Arms: Moderate Carb
    Wednesday - Interval Aerobics: Low Carb
    Thursday - Legs: Moderate Carbs
    Friday - Interval Aerobics: Low Carb
    Saturday - Rest: High Carb
    - With a good percentage of my additional carbs from "Moderate Carb" days coming from my PWO meal and HGI carbs.
    - Also, thinking about swapping Friday and Saturday Diets (Friday High Carb & Saturday Low Carb)

So, this is where I need some advice!!!! What are you thoughts on this type of diet? And thoughts about using this diet plan with alterations to the macro nutrients? I've also been reading about the Keto diet... but I just don't know that I can bring myself to consume that much fat (call it a mental block from brainwash if you like... but I just don't know if I can jump into that). What are your thoughts on keto? What about a blend of this carb cycling diet and keto... something in between... but perhaps with less carbs on the moderate and low carb days???

Any advice on my workout and especially diet would be greatly appreciated!!!

But please keep in mind, my primary goal over the next 2-3 months is to loss fat, while maintaining (possibly even gaining) lean mass. I would love to be below 210 with about 16%-18% body fat (~172-176bs lean mass) at the end of 3 months.
    At that point I will re-evaluate my priorities and possible shift my focus a little more towards lean mass gain.

Sorry this thread got so long... but I wanted to lay most of it out there for critiquing. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by NNewell979; 06-26-2006 at 01:58 PM.

Bump.....

Bump for help: Any advise would be greatly appriciated! Thanks!!!!

One last bump.....

One more bump for good measure.....

Anyone have any advice?

Anyone think this is this good, bad.... indifferent?
    Last edited by NNewell979; 06-28-2006 at 01:53 PM.