Thread: At an impass

trnurbdy48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

At an impass

Hello. I have reached an impass with a great client and can now use all of the input you have to offer. I've been at this a few years, more than most of you have been alive probably! LOL and this is a first for me. I'll give this client's name as Mary. Mary came to me about 6 months ago. She had been working out at home, then with another trainer (male) who she felt was not appropriate for the results she wanted to attain. When we started her development was good. Nice striation, great biceps. But, she told me up front that she had been an anorexic for almost 2 years. She had left her marriage of 20 years due to abuse and also left her 2 teenage children with their father. Why is not important. Anyway, it killed her so she took it out on herself by not eating. She was advised by her physician to begin a training program. Now, here comes the impass. I cannot get this woman to eat! Her development is fabulous. She could compete in the masters if she wanted, but she is still so thin (5'6" - 123 lbs, 15% BF) and if she gains a pound she starves the next day. She exists on peanuts, salmon, apples, cucumber, broccili and the very rare oz. of red meat. She does take supplements, thank goodness! If she doesn't drink a minimum of 3 quarts of water a day she panics. She refuses to eat carbs of ANY kind, except for veggies and fruits and the small amt. in the peanuts. She says they're death to her. HELP! I so want the best for this woman and I cannot get through! Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

ronmolina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmolina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually she sounds very healthy to me diet wise that is. Why change anything? Why should she gain any more weight?

She consumes about 700- 900 calories a day, lifts three times a week. This is not appropriate.

beautifully broken spytechs_wife's Avatar
    spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs down

no that does not sound right at all! i would pray
    that you could get her to see a therapist. it seems
    like she has some major guilt and control issues.
    after all shes been through, she needs to see
    somebody. is she depressed? maybe she would
    benefit from a small amount of antidepressent.

anyways, i will pray for her.

clare
    "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." - Phil 4:13

"The ultimate mystery is one's own self." - Sammy Davis, Jr.

Full service photography-
    offthecuffphotography.info

sillygirl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sillygirl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sillygirl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sillygirl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sillygirl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sillygirl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sillygirl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sillygirl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sillygirl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sillygirl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sillygirl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I agree- it sounds like she's still dealing with disordered eating issues and if she's refusing to let herself progress any further, she needs to seek professional help.

Many eating disorders turn into a control issue, and she sounds like she still has a BIG issue with control. I would ask her straight up, "So. How's that working for ya?" when she mentions any of her disordered habits. It took someone saying that to ME in order for me to realize that my own disordered exercise/eating habits were NOT working and would never work.

Other than that, I'd strongly recommend some sort of professional help- like seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist of some sort. Best of luck to you, and kudos for realizing your patients habits aren't normal & wanting her to get some help! She's lucky to have someone like you around.

gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gallerygurl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would try to slowly raise her calories by 50 per week so that she doesnt notice any weight gain and let her metabolism catch up..

Thank you for all of your replys. I had a long talk with her today. Boy, has this woman been through it! Married for 20 years to a man who didn't know she was alive. Got up to over 200 lbs. Lost that and the 200 lb monkey offer her back, but at the same time, because her ex is a cheap bastard, she lost her kids too. She had been a stay at home mom. And, this is the neat part, a professional singer. Was with A&M Records for 14 years. Her ex made her quit. Didn't like the life or her friends. Anyway, I had no idea this was her background. Quite a broad! As far as anti-depressants go, she is very holistic. She won't take chemicals of any kind. Especially ones as dangerous as anti-depressants. To the last post, thank you for a great idea! Baby steps. I'll keep you all posted. Thank you all again!

Ok. Now. I've thought more about this. I had an eating plan worked up for her. I have no idea whether she adheres to any of it or not. Maybe if I had a few more to offer her, she would be more likely to follow the plan. Any ideas? She lifts 3 days a week for 45-60 min. This woman can bench 150lbs without a hitch! I know she also does some work at home........abs, some weight. I managed to talk her out of cardio for a while. Again, her stats are:

5'6"
    123lbs.
    17% - BF
    Average calorie intake at this time - 700-900 PD,

I would say, without following her around all day, that protein is 80% of her diet. I have managed to get her on Muscle Milk (one scoop + BCAA's + Flax seed oil) before and after her workouts. They recommend two scoops, I feel lucky that she'll take one!

Again, any and all input is so very much appreciated!

MagicPunt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicPunt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicPunt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicPunt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicPunt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicPunt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicPunt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicPunt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicPunt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicPunt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MagicPunt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    the fact that she has such a high bf% at such a low weight indicates her body is in starvation mode, and is holding onto the fat. try and explain that if she has a constant stream of nutritious food in her body her metabolism will increase and she will actually lose the bodyfat and build up muscle!

and i agree with the baby steps, 10g carbs added a week and i think shell slowly get onto a healthy diet