DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

gaining muscle and losing fat

I am wondering what sorts of food i should eat daily to help me build muscle, but also lose some bodyfat to make my abs visible.

I currently do 5Miles on the cycle a day, but I dont think im eating right.

BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't even try it.

Loose fat then gain muscle.

OR

Gain muscle then loose fat.

Although I do believe it is possible to do both at once, it requires total commitment, a Spartan eating program, a Spartan workout program and year and years of experience in how your own personal body reacts to certain things. And even then, both processes are slowed down and immensley inefficient.

Gain muscle and loose fat is just not a realistic option, sorry.

The above is my personal opinion. You're welcome to disregard it totally (but don't say I didn't tell you so).
    "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." - Euripides

zonalax2004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    big ass bump bugger......I just dont see how you can do both really. If you are overweight (like me for example), lose the weight first then put on the muscle. I think that, correct me if I'm wrong, if you can put on fat easily, then you can eat cleanly and put on muscle easily. So why not do the "hard part" first and get rid of the excess fat, then pack on the guns!

TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's possible with a perfect diet, with noobs to lifting that are usually way overweight, or with the use of anabolics.

Tho it isn't very likely and i recommend choosing one or the other

Strong-Ass Jaw Crew user34566548717114's Avatar
    user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    yeah i agree its possible

but requires fine tuning thats just outta this world or roids

stew503 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

but requires fine tuning thats just outta this world

And your diet has to be SPOT on for this. You can use the lean body weight, body fat calculations too see if you are loosing lean body weight and dropping fat. And I do mean spot on.
    one of my clients has been loosing bodyfat well and keeping his lean muscle (ECA and Clen, but no roids). 5 weeks have gone by without a loss in lean body weight, in fact lean body weight slightly increased, however last week he changed his Tuna to a different can. Even something simple as this was a reduction still in bodyfat, however he also lost 2oz of lean muscle (Bollocking later... he's back on track)
    It does take time to learn YOUR body if you have the dedication to plan diets ahead, know the nutritional value of everthing you consume, weight it all and train well within what your body can do then yes it's possible.
    If your talking about packing on pounds and pounds of muscle then HIGHLY unlikely, roids or genetic monster to the fact if where I would say NO.

Some people in here are tuned to thier bodies (TheSupaKorean, Skip...etc) and have done exceptionally well.

So, you can go through the total dedication to everything, or follow the advice and build muscle, then loose fat.

Hope this helps

vortex72 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) vortex72 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) vortex72 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) vortex72 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) vortex72 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) vortex72 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) vortex72 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) vortex72 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) vortex72 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) vortex72 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) vortex72 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I think its very possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, I've done it and am currently doing it.

Granted, I dont think its possible to lose large amounts of fat while putting on large amounts of muscle. I DO think its possible to slowly cut bodyfat while slowly building muscle. For me, while dieting and lifting the muscle gains came quickly at first (muscle memory) and since have slowed. I've noticed a significant difference in my chest/shoulders/legs muscle mass and strength while simultaneously losing fat. However, my fat loss has really slowed lately since I've been eating more so I've cut my cals back while keeping my protein high to see if I can make my fat loss more rapid while keeping/improving the muscle I've gained.

My diet is roughly a 50%protein/30%fat/20% carb diet at present. I'm keeping it at 2000-2300cals/day in 6 meals currently.
    Transformation: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232702
    5'10" 32yo male
    Jan/03 - 300lbs - Bodyfat - 42%
    May/04 - 210lbs - Bodyfat - ?

Bench - 250x1
    Deadlift 295x4
    Squat 315x10

Resting HR 57
    Cardio- Up to 4miles on treadmill at 7-7.5mph and 150hr.

DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DavidH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm not overweight, I probably have about 8% bodyfat. The problem is that it is all on my stomach, and I want to make my abs more visible. At the beginning of January I want to start eating the right food. And I dont know what I should eat that is good for building muscle and with the minimum fat. Also, will doing cardio slow down my muscle growth?

footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by vortex72
    I think its very possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, I've done it and am currently doing it.

Granted, I dont think its possible to lose large amounts of fat while putting on large amounts of muscle. I DO think its possible to slowly cut bodyfat while slowly building muscle. For me, while dieting and lifting the muscle gains came quickly at first (muscle memory) and since have slowed. I've noticed a significant difference in my chest/shoulders/legs muscle mass and strength while simultaneously losing fat. However, my fat loss has really slowed lately since I've been eating more so I've cut my cals back while keeping my protein high to see if I can make my fat loss more rapid while keeping/improving the muscle I've gained.

My diet is roughly a 50%protein/30%fat/20% carb diet at present. I'm keeping it at 2000-2300cals/day in 6 meals currently.
    bump-altho being 16 might help...plus i just started creatine about a month or so ago-good stuff
    there is no beast without cruelty.

pain for pleasure, torture for leisure

footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50) footballjunior will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by DavidH
    I'm not overweight, I probably have about 8% bodyfat. The problem is that it is all on my stomach, and I want to make my abs more visible. At the beginning of January I want to start eating the right food. And I dont know what I should eat that is good for building muscle and with the minimum fat. Also, will doing cardio slow down my muscle growth?
    #1-8% bf would show abs in most cases quite well and #2- no, esp. if ur trying to cut a little fat while building, u gota keep the cardio
    there is no beast without cruelty.

pain for pleasure, torture for leisure

Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You have 8% BF, but all the fat covers your abs? Honestly I don't see how this is possible...

If your abs are not visible I'd be extremely skeptical about your BF being 8%.. How did you have it measured? Nevermind.. I noticed you said your 'probably' have 8%.. I recommend you get it measured, most gyms are able to do this for you, if not, you can purchase a set of bf calipers, which generally aren't that expensive.

No... cardio will NOT slow down muscle growth, if you are worried about cardio canabilizing your muscle, take 5g's of glutamine in your post-workout shake. Some might argue with me on this one, so it's IMO..

As far as what you should eat, this varies from one individual to the next.

You are doing 5 miles a day? Whoa.. props to you bro, that's a helluva lot of training, If you are doing this much cardio and not noticing BF loss, you must be eating like a monster, I've included a general idea of good foods to eat while cutting below.

Oatmeal, Chicken, Turkey, Salmon, Tuna, Extra Lean beef/pork, lots and lots of veggies raw or steamed, egg whites, yams. Stay away from processed meats, and junk food this is not going to help.

Divide your meals up, instead of eating 3, eat 5 or 6, portioned about the same size as your palm. Also if you are having difficulties making this many meals, try supplementing with an MRP.

Ex.. Breakfast- oatmeal/eggwhites, Mid-day - small salad, can tuna or salmon, Lunch - Yam (sweet potatoe), chicken, Mid-afternoon - MRP, Dinner - large salad (or large helping of veggies) and your choice of meat <--- advise eating your biggest meal post-workout as this is when your body needs it the most.

The above, in combination with protein whey supplementation, should have you on the path to success.

Looks boring?? Change it up a bit! Stick with lean sources of meat, and always, always eat whole foods when possible.

Cheers
    Always, under the underneath...
    =======
    Once the power of the mind is harnessed, any goal is reachable.
    =======
    Exercise is 10% Physical, and 90% Mental, the rest is up to you.

Thanks, well I dunno if its 8% I have a tester at home and it said 8% but who knows how accurate it is. Also can I eat the same food everyday? Also, my abs are covered in fat but they are not very vissible the skin on my middle is an inch thick folded. For the eggs can I eat the yellow aswell, or no?

Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks, well I dunno if its 8% I have a tester at home and it said 8% but who knows how accurate it is. Also can I eat the same food everyday? Also, my abs are covered in fat but they are not very vissible the skin on my middle is an inch thick folded. For the eggs can I eat the yellow aswell, or no?
    I like the ratio of 1 yolk to 4 whites, so if you are going to eat 8 eggwhites for breakfast sure.. throw in 2 yolks, that's fine.

Yes, you can eat the same thing everyday, although I can tell you if you mix it up a bit your more likely to keep eating healthier, experiment, but keep it healthy.

It sounds like you are on the brink of exposing your abs, Keep this up for 1-2 months and I see a six-pack in your future.

Cheers
    Always, under the underneath...
    =======
    Once the power of the mind is harnessed, any goal is reachable.
    =======
    Exercise is 10% Physical, and 90% Mental, the rest is up to you.

BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First off, 8% is what a totally ripped up fitness model would have. Very low. But everyone's already said that already.

Second, I'm very skeptical of people who claim to have lost fat and built muscle, sorry. Yes, it is possible to do - very, very, very slowly. You could get much better results in a much faster time by cutting fat first and then building the muscle, so I really don't see the point even if you do have all the hard training and nutrition down.

Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zachary is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by BuggerOff
    First off, 8% is what a totally ripped up fitness model would have. Very low. But everyone's already said that already.

Second, I'm very skeptical of people who claim to have lost fat and built muscle, sorry. Yes, it is possible to do - very, very, very slowly. You could get much better results in a much faster time by cutting fat first and then building the muscle, so I really don't see the point even if you do have all the hard training and nutrition down.
    Yeah, remember, Brad Pitt in Fight Club = 7%...

Building muscle while losing fat is entirely possible and quite rapid if and only if you're fat. If you're average, it will be slow[er], and if you're lean, you can forget it. It all has to do with leptin.

Strong-Ass Jaw Crew user34566548717114's Avatar
    user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i love how everyone on this forum is like yeah i have about 9% body fat LOL

I see maybe 2 guys a day at the gym who have sub 10% body fat

Exactly, it's stupid, eh? I reckon the "average" bloke in his 20-somethings that is moderately fit and moderately healthy would be ~20% bodyfat. People just don't realise how bloody low sub 10% is. I mean that's ripped.

It's almost about people talking about their height (and weight for that matter). I have mates that say to me "Yeah, I'm about 6'1" and 15% BF", when anyone that really has half a clue can easily see that they're more like 5'11" and ~23% BF.

I find people exagerrate their height more than anything else. It's almost got to the stage that you can safely take an inch or two off whatever someone says. When I tell people I'm 182cm (just under 6') they're like "no way man! I'm 6'2" [or whatever] and you're taller than me". It's a bloody joke.

stew503 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yes LOL, and I am 9% (Really, I have the pics on site!!), well was. Seem to naturally sit at 10-12% with diet and then cut as necessary when Summer, shows ... etc are around, Nothing like a sunny day to give you an excuse to soak up the rays!!

Anyway, on that note, post a pic of you on site and get estimations from the forum members, we'll soon tell you through experience of our and other bodyfay percentages. If you are 8% then either you have never worked your abs and have normal abdominal skeletal muscle, in which - yes 8% and they may not show too well, or ???? (Dunno). However at 8%, your shoulders, pecs, arms will be shredded, are they?

cfauver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    gain muscle and lose fat? I do it. I am not an exercise noob, I used to be a well trained athlete, but I got out of shape after high school, i got back in semi-shape for a season of college rugby and then i went back to my usual ways after the season. For about a 2 months I've been on a cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD), with the exception of our week home from college for thanksgiving. I eat about 10-11 calories per pound of bodyweight, approx 40% from protein (1g lb/bw) and 55-60% from fat. My postworkout shake consists of 46g protein (Optimum 100%), 40g dextrose, 5g creatine. About an hour later I go back to eating my fat and protein, and the 40g of dextrose doesn't count into my calorie equation because it is all absorbed by the muscles as glycogen (I take 200mg of r-ALA before this shake). So I am still burning bodyfat for fuel, keto leaves you in a sub-optimum protein synthesis rate but trust me, you don't have to eat 1g of protein/lb bw if you are packing in the carbs. I have had huge gains. I take an ECA (Xenadrine-RFA, yes I am a good squirrel and stored my acorns for when Mr. Winter came) only before my weight workouts. I usually do 3-4 maximum intensity workouts that are aimed in the 1-6 rep range. So pretty much a power workout. I run 2-3 times a week at low intensity for 45 minutes. I have been steadily losing 2-3 pounds of fat a week while adding about 5 pounds of muscle in 2 months. I am as heavy as I was when i started the diet (i imagine iw oudl be lighter if not for the dextrose + creatine), yet I am about to break into 36's and I was wearing 40's at the start of the diet.

For me, a person with a slow metabolism and a high insulin-sensitivity, this is the right diet for me. I think it is simply the way people of my genetics are supposed to eat to be lean and healthy. I need to work on getting more fiber, but that is the only area of my diet that is lacking I feel.

Visit the Keto forum under Nutrition.

Good Luck
    Last edited by cfauver; 12-05-2003 at 10:21 AM.

AnabolicPhyscho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    whats everyones crzy obsession with brad pitt , hes a lil ectomorph its nothing supernatural for him to be that skinny, he has no muscle anyway

LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by zonalax2004
    big ass bump bugger......I just dont see how you can do both really.
    Easy ... use steroids.

Famous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by dvv

I see maybe 2 guys a day at the gym who have sub 10% body fat
    I much prefer when you watch something like WWE (or even some football games) and the announcer will calim such and such has like 4% bf.

I remember when Batista first came in, I could hardly believe Jim Ross would say that he had 4% bf. He's certainly around 8-10% (at least, that would be believable), but come on...

My favorite was way back in the day during a UFC event. They said Ken Shamrock had 2% body fat. That wasn't even believable back then (when I had no real concept of bodybuilding).

Alright, so basicly just eat foods that have allot of protein?

IronAddiction86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its almost impossible.. i mean its possible, but while building muscle, you can only minimize fat loss.. at slow rates
    Shut Up and Train.

cfauver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright, so basicly just eat foods that have allot of protein?
    If you are talking about my diet? Here's what you do. Take your body weight, it doesn't matter if you are 40% BF or 10% BF guage your metabolism 10-slow 11-moderate 12-fast) and multiply that number by it. This is your calories per day. Take your bodyweight and multiply it by 1. This is your number of protein grams per day. Protein grams per meal, I try to get in 7 or 8 meals a day, I suggest you do to if you want to gain muscle and lose fat. Thats a meal about every 2.5 to 3 waking hours depending on how many you are doing, one should be right before bed and one about smack dab in the middle of your sleep. I use a Optimum Complete Protein Diet with Flax Powder, Creatinge, and Glutamine for my 3 a.m snack (3 scoops OCPD, 4 tsp flax, 1 tsp creatine, 1 heaping tsp. l-glutamine).

Okay, so thats 40% of your calories, where are the rest coming from? Fat. No Carbs. FAT. Shout for Glory if you like. That's right. Eggs. Sausage. Steaks. Hamburger. Cheese. Bacon. Tuna. Mayo. Fish (no breading). Chicken (no breading, rotisserre skin is okay!). Bologna. It goes on and on.

On another note, right after any weight workout you should have a shake that consists of simple carbs(25g increase if using r-ALA) (DEXTROSE), protein, and creatine. If you are doing HIIT, you get half the carbs in your shake, if you are doing regular cardio then you only get fat and protein.

Another note is that on the CKD diet you carb up every 5.5 days. You can do this however you like, but the recommended 36 hour carb-up period they think will work for most people is from friday at noon to saturday at midnight. From those hours you get like 10g of carbs per kg bodyweight i think.. (check the keto forums) You want these to be good healthy non-fat carbs, and mostly complex after you get in about 75-100g of simple carbs.

Here's how my diet breaks down.

Bodyweight 260
    Calories: 2,600
    Protein: 260g 1,040 cal 40% cals
    Fat: (2,600-1,040)/9=(1,560/9)=173g 1,560 cal 60% cals
    Carbs: 40g dextrose w/ r-ALA post-weights = do not count these, and on a side note, you get 20 daily grams divided in your meals not to count. But you should not be able to add them up from the packages. This is reserved kinda for the trace amounts in eggs and cheese, and that sort of thing. ALthought Natural Peanut butter has some carbs and I encourage eveyrone to eat natural peanut butter. I get about 2 servings a day.

Carb-up (every 5.5 or 12.5 days - I go two weeks between carb ups)
    260/2.2=118 kg bodyweight x 10 g carbs = 1180 g carbs ( I like to divide this into three half-day periods, since you have to realize you are eating this over 1.5 days.

1180/3= 393 g carbs every 12 hours.

visit the keto forum and learn about how you should weight train, cardio train, and things you should know to get in ketosis and stay in ketosis, there are several little tricky things like specific fruits, vegetables, diet soft drinks, glutamine w/ carbs, etc you might eat or do to kick yourself out of ketosis.