jmontgomery68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Buffalo bar sleeve spin question???

How important is sleeve spin on cambered buffalo bar squats?

The reason I ask is my rack fits in a small space. My everyday barbell is the Rogue Stump which has 10” sleeves. I can just walk sideways on one side and the short sleeves make plate loading easy.

I cut the sleeves down on my safety squat bar to make it a bit shorter to make plate loading easier. They are welded on but since they didn’t spin to begin with I gave it no thought.

I bought a Buffalo bar and it’s a tight fit. I only have about 4” on one side and about a foot of space on the other. So, back to my original question. How important is bar spin on a cambered Buffalo bar? I’m seriously thinking about cutting the sleeve lengths down to 10” to give myself some space.

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jmontgomery68 View Post
    How important is sleeve spin on cambered buffalo bar squats?

The reason I ask is my rack fits in a small space. My everyday barbell is the Rogue Stump which has 10” sleeves. I can just walk sideways on one side and the short sleeves make plate loading easy.

I cut the sleeves down on my safety squat bar to make it a bit shorter to make plate loading easier. They are welded on but since they didn’t spin to begin with I gave it no thought.

I bought a Buffalo bar and it’s a tight fit. I only have about 4” on one side and about a foot of space on the other. So, back to my original question. How important is bar spin on a cambered Buffalo bar? I’m seriously thinking about cutting the sleeve lengths down to 10” to give myself some space.
    Being a cambered/buffalo bar, it would make more sense if they didn't spin. So welding them is fine.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

I believe the offset is 4” if it makes a difference.

Any second opinions before I start cutting?

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you know what your are doing, I'm sure it will be fine. If I attempted this, I'm sure my bar would end up unusable. You've taken the sleeves apart and you know what you are cutting, correct?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

I’ll take them apart and cut the bar separately. I cut my SSB about 3/8 shorter than my sleeves and ran a bead around the inside. A dab of silicon to hold the end cap came out nicely.
    I wasn’t worried about cutting the SSB because its sleeves didn’t spin to begin with.
    I just want to get opinions on sleeve spin on a Buffalo bar for squats and bench press.

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jmontgomery68 View Post
    I’ll take them apart and cut the bar separately. I cut my SSB about 3/8 shorter than my sleeves and ran a bead around the inside. A dab of silicon to hold the end cap came out nicely.
    I wasn’t worried about cutting the SSB because its sleeves didn’t spin to begin with.
    I just want to get opinions on sleeve spin on a Buffalo bar for squats and bench press.
    Depends on how much weight you are or are planning on lifting. Spinning sleeves are mostly for Olympic lifts but they can help during squat since the bar does rotate some. At lighter weights you probably won't notice. At heavier lifts it could become an annoyance, if not a problem. For what it's worth I squatted up to 300 on a standard bar without rotating sleeves without any issue. Never tried more than that.

Edit: I wasn't thinking, a Buffalo bar won't be rotating anyway. So should be fine, I would think.
    Last edited by bisonp; 10-13-2023 at 07:22 AM.