Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000)

Building Pro Style Dumbbells

I wanted to post this when project complete. But still waiting on a few things like rubber end caps, a few more weights, etc.

A little shout out to 70chevellegsp for the inspiration to do this. It started with this post of his:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1460268223

Walmart selling brand new Cap Pancakes for .60/lb is what turned my head. But after one quick call to a member here who moves a lot of stuff, he was able to dig me out more than enough pancakes to at least get me started. At very reasonable price and much better than buying new from Walmart. Big thanks to him!

By this weekend I should have everything needed to build pairs of 80's, 90's and 100's. But for now here's a little teaser. When complete I will provide more details on the process....

Attached Images
    ▪█──────█▪ Equipment Crew #64 ▪█──────█▪
    ▪()()-----()()▪ York Barbell Club #83 (DD) ▪()()-----()()▪
    ▪▪█─────█▪▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #83 ▪▪█─────█▪▪
    ▪[M]===[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #14 ▪[M]===[6]▪

Seeking: Knowledge

crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by dieselmike View Post
    I wanted to post this when project complete. But still waiting on a few things like rubber end caps, a few more weights, etc.

A little shout out to 70chevellegsp for the inspiration to do this. It started with this post of his:

Walmart selling brand new Cap Pancakes for .60/lb is what turned my head. But after one quick call to a member here who moves a lot of stuff, he was able to dig me out more than enough pancakes to at least get me started. At very reasonable price and much better than buying new from Walmart. Big thanks to him!

By this weekend I should have everything needed to build pairs of 80's, 90's and 100's. But for now here's a little teaser. When complete I will provide more details on the process....

Mike,

didnt you have rubber prostyles? i remember seeing them in your youtube gym walk through
    ()---() York Barbell Club #63 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #84 []---[]

dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by crutoi View Post
    Mike,

didnt you have rubber prostyles? i remember seeing them in your youtube gym walk through
    Close - Hampton Rubber Hex from 2-1/2 lb to 30lb in 2-1/2 lb increments. Then 35 - 75 in 5lb increments. I wanted pros in 80 - 100 in 5 lb increments. Eventually I will build the 85's and 95's. For now the 80, 90 and 100 is my experiment as I have never done this before.

A few months ago I came across a used set of Ivanko 80, 85, 90, 95 & 100 for a decent price. But it was a 750 mile round trip which I just couldn't find the time to swing and couldn't get help from the "Network". I really wanted those too.

crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crutoi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Close - Hampton Rubber Hex from 2-1/2 lb to 30lb in 2-1/2 lb increments. Then 35 - 75 in 5lb increments. I wanted pros in 80 - 100 in 5 lb increments. Eventually I will build the 85's and 95's. For now the 80, 90 and 100 is my experiment as I have never done this before.

A few months ago I came across a used set of Ivanko 80, 85, 90, 95 & 100 for a decent price. But it was a 750 mile round trip which I just couldn't find the time to swing and couldn't get help from the "Network". I really wanted those too.

Steve in queens has 75-120 Ivanko prostyle if 5lb increments
    ()---() York Barbell Club #63 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #84 []---[]

g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Very cool project. Silver is a nice, classic color for dumbbells, and they will be even sweeter with rubber end caps. Did you end up getting the same ones from CFF as 70chevelle? My powerblocks only go up to 70, so I may consider making 80s, 90s, and 100s with DIY platemates as a long term project.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club ||---||

Recent PRs
    -----------------------
    Bench 285 @ 155
    DL 455 @ 155
    Squat 335 @ 155
    OHP 165 @ 145

Originally Posted by g8rlaw View Post
    Did you end up getting the same ones from CFF as 70chevelle?
    I most certainly did. I am waiting for them to come in. I really wanted the flush ends. There price was very reasonable, especially when ordering them in a 10 pack.

As for the plates. They were in great shape. Mostly Cap. A few Ivanko in the mix too that had stickers on them. Could have easliy used them as is, but some were black, some were grey. So I gave them a quick once over with the wire wheel, a mineral spirits bath and 4 spray cans of Hammertone Silver later, this was the result. I was going for that silver/black contrast once the end caps arrive.

Annoyed at myself for not taking before pics of the plates. I was eager to get to work. I need 4 more 7.5's still for this preliminary build.

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Are these handles from Christian's or from Full Circle? CFF seems to only have 38mm on their site. Link to this ten-pack?
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) g8rlaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I most certainly did. I am waiting for them to come in. I really wanted the flush ends. There price was very reasonable, especially when ordering them in a 10 pack.

As for the plates. They were in great shape. Mostly Cap. A few Ivanko in the mix too that had stickers on them. Could have easliy used them as is, but some were black, some were grey. So I gave them a quick once over with the wire wheel, a mineral spirits bath and 4 spray cans of Hammertone Silver later, this was the result. I was going for that silver/black contrast once the end caps arrive.

Annoyed at myself for not taking before pics of the plates. I was eager to get to work. I need 4 more 7.5's still for this preliminary build.
    I think the end caps really make the project. I'm looking forward to seeing the process and the end results.

Nothing worse than setting up for db bench with the bolts from heavy dumbbells digging right into your quads.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club ||---||

Recent PRs
    -----------------------
    Bench 285 @ 155
    DL 455 @ 155
    Squat 335 @ 155
    OHP 165 @ 145

Originally Posted by CliveWarren View Post
    Are these handles from Christian's or from Full Circle? CFF seems to only have 38mm on their site. Link to this ten-pack?
    Handles came from a guy I deal with who's an equipment distributor and basically will move stuff a tad over wholesale to returning customers (couldn't have made much off me at all). No name on the box. I'm sure it's just some generic handle from China but they are fine for now. A little thin for my liking. I know Ivanko uses 30mm handles (which are probably perfect), CFF's are a specialty 38mm (seems quite fat). But most of the genenic ones are a mere 27mm. Will take some getting used to. If I hate them I will upgrade in the future.

Here's the link to the end caps which shows the prices for singles, pairs, 10 pack or 20 pack:

https://christiansfitnessfactory.com...-end-caps.html

They also sell them through Amazon at exact same price. Once they arrive and I install them I'll comment on their quality.

Originally Posted by g8rlaw View Post
    Nothing worse than setting up for db bench with the bolts from heavy dumbbells digging right into your quads.
    Exactly my thinking.

Rubber End Caps

Small update... My rubber end caps arrived last night.

Here's how they size up next to (and atop of) a 2.5 lb pancake - A silver dollar?

Didn't have time to to do all. But I at least wanted to see how one pair came out. So I installed them on the 80's.....

Thoughts on these caps: Really like the way they look. I will say this... The web site describes them as 1-1/4lb each (so each pair adds 2.5 lbs to a single DB). This is not quite the case. I weighed each individually on a digital kitchen scale that measures to a tenth of an ounce. The lightest came in at 1lb 0.4 ozs. The 'heaviest' came in at 1 lb, 1.1ozs. So these are not 1-1/4 lbs each (which would be 1 lb, 4.0 ozs). They are barely over a pound each.

But that is actually fine because my SDH-#4 handle that I am using is coming in at exactly 3 lbs. So handle + 2 end caps = 5lbs give or take an ounce.

Slap on three 10's and a 7.5 on each side you have your 80 lb DB's:

Attached Images

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    But that is actually fine because my SDH-#4 handle that I am using is coming in at exactly 3 lbs. So handle + 2 end caps = 5lbs give or take an ounce.

Slap on three 10's and a 7.5 on each side you have your 80 lb DB's:
    Your doing that the unconventional way, from what I've ever seen in a conventional gym. They usually just mark the dumbbells with the plate weight and omit the handle weight.

However, I feel the way you're doing it is the correct way. I'd do that too. I've seen those end caps in cast iron of varying weights so you can dial this right in. Probably was Ivanko.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

Thanks Clive and you are 100% correct. I have noticed that too with commercial pro styles. (where they don't account for the handle).... Especially Ivanko.

I have been referencing this chart which it appears accounts for the handle.. At the end of the day if I am within 1 -2 lbs on 80's and higher I am perfectly fine with that. I don't expect everyone to come in spot on:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dieselmike; 09-09-2016 at 06:03 AM.

deoomar98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deoomar98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deoomar98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deoomar98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deoomar98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deoomar98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deoomar98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deoomar98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deoomar98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deoomar98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deoomar98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up Amazing

I really like this! Good luck bro

cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks awesome Mike. I may have to take your lead and make some for weights above and beyond my PBs.
    {5'7" and under #1}
    ▪█───█▪ Equipment Crew #77 ▪█───█▪
    [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew - Can't recall number [M]===[6]

BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    These dumbbells turned out great. Nice work. I like the rubber end caps. If I didnt already have metal ones I would go with these.

70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000)

Thanks for the shoutout!!

The DB's look great, and what a difference it makes with the rubber (or metal) end caps. I do like the CFF rubber caps, but I wonder why they sell in 10 packs instead of 12? You can only make 2 and 1/2 sets of DB's with 10 But the pricing is very good on those as compared to the metal ones. I've found a few deals on CL for std 10's, but they are not coming up as often any more.

Now that I feel 'outdone' since you painted your plates, I may have a new project slated for this fall. Maybe a non standard color, we'll see?

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Those look really nice with the rubber endcaps. I used to like lifting with that style of dumbbell. Easy to control or something.. I have 5-50 rubber hex and up to 90 with Powerblock. Powerblocks are weird at heavier weights. The bottoms weigh more than the top, and the bar thingys keep hitting your wrist or forearm.

FWIW. I think I remember looking at Ivanko weights like that, and they used all 7.5's? Might be a different brand, not sure. Looking at them in a dumbbell rack made them look very consistent..

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The dumbells turned out great-on spread
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

70chev - Glad you chimed in because I have a quick request of you. If you have a pair of calipers, can you measure the handle diameter in the grip area (right over the knurl) of yours from Full Circle? I mentioned how mine feel awfully thin. I measured last night at 25.5mm. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Right now I am leaning toward returning these and finding something more the norm of a barbell diameter.

If anyone cares to chime in with theirs, please lemme know. Perhaps I never realized that DB grips are much thinner than Barbells as my current set has the contoured grips (which are fat in the middle).

cwcmac, Bulkmore, Greybird, gramps - thanks all for the kind words/feedback/responses.
    Last edited by dieselmike; 09-09-2016 at 07:29 AM.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great project, all the best.

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Dumbellbuddy.com has handles that say they are 28mm.

dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    GJ. These types of dumbbells are usually really expensive and this is a nice DIY.
    www.repfitness.com - Gym equipment manufacturer.

70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000) 70chevellegsp is just really nice. (+1000)
    70chev - Glad you chimed in because I have a quick request of you. If you have a pair of calipers, can you measure the handle diameter in the grip area (right over the knurl) of yours from Full Circle? I mentioned how mine feel awfully thin. I measured last night at 25.5mm. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Right now I am leaning toward returning these and finding something more the norm of a barbell diameter.

If anyone cares to chime in with theirs, please lemme know. Perhaps I never realized that DB grips are much thinner than Barbells as my current set has the contoured grips (which are fat in the middle).

cwcmac, Bulkmore, Greybird, gramps - thanks all for the kind words/feedback/responses.
    DM - 27.5mm according to my calipers.

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have a bunch of pancakes sitting around. Half Ivanko. I know there are some 7.5s. Text me or call.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Handles came from a guy I deal with who's an equipment distributor and basically will move stuff a tad over wholesale to returning customers (couldn't have made much off me at all). No name on the box. I'm sure it's just some generic handle from China but they are fine for now. A little thin for my liking. I know Ivanko uses 30mm handles (which are probably perfect), CFF's are a specialty 38mm (seems quite fat). But most of the genenic ones are a mere 27mm. Will take some getting used to. If I hate them I will upgrade in the future.
    I'll be watching this thread.
    Take this with a grain of salt, but for only pressing, the fatter handles feel better with heavier weights (75+). I have switched between fat & standard. The standard thickness hurts in comparison. The thinner handles only show benefits when doing rows, but if you use straps, that issue is negligible.

This looks like a really nice edition.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

Nicest dumbells I have used are Iron Grip. Their site says their DB handles are 1 1/4(31.75mm) in diameter, with the heavy dumbells being 1 3/8 (35mm)in diameter.

I decided that 25.5 mm handles are just too thin for my liking. I don't know what the norm is in a gym as I never brought a pair of calipers into a gym with me but I never recall grabbing a DB in a gym thinking: "Wow - this feel awfully thin" as these certainly do.

Serves me right for trying to save a few bucks. Live and learn.

I think I am going to switch these out for contoured handle ones for 2 reasons:

1. My current Hex DB's have contoured handles and I am more than happy with those. They are awesome for pressing. But even when pulling (rows), they are not too fat at 35 mm.

2. In all the searching I am doing for the straight (non-contoured) handles, everyone who lists their specs list them as either 27.5 or 28 mm.

Ideally I wish I would have found handles in the 30 - 32 mm range but it appears they only exist in DB's made at the manufacturer (Iron Grip as Greybird2 mentioned, I know Troy's handles are in that range, Ivanko are 30 mm, and others). Unless I am missing something, it's just not out there to buy a straight handle in this diameter.

Good choice dieselmike. Not worth being irritated everytime you lift the 25.5mm handles..

EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mike,
    I checked my Troy pro handles, no caliper, and they are not 30mm. More like 27.5 or 28.
    Eric
    I quote with pics. ()---() York Barbell Club #78 (DD) ()---()
    My gym walk thru: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1629553623#post1629553623

c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I decided that 25.5 mm handles are just too thin for my liking. I don't know what the norm is in a gym as I never brought a pair of calipers into a gym with me but I never recall grabbing a DB in a gym thinking: "Wow - this feel awfully thin" as these certainly do.

Serves me right for trying to save a few bucks. Live and learn.

I think I am going to switch these out for contoured handle ones for 2 reasons:

1. My current Hex DB's have contoured handles and I am more than happy with those. They are awesome for pressing. But even when pulling (rows), they are not too fat at 35 mm.

2. In all the searching I am doing for the straight (non-contoured) handles, everyone who lists their specs list them as either 27.5 or 28 mm.

Ideally I wish I would have found handles in the 30 - 32 mm range but it appears they only exist in DB's made at the manufacturer (Iron Grip as Greybird2 mentioned, I know Troy's handles are in that range, Ivanko are 30 mm, and others). Unless I am missing something, it's just not out there to buy a straight handle in this diameter.
    You can get 30mm Ivanko handles from their supplier at gympart.com, but they're predictably rather pricy. Ivanko apparently has some old stock black 30mm handles on their clearance page for $40/pair shipped:

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/products/sdhcdh27mm/