Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What piece of equipment should I buy next?

Looking for suggestions here. I have $800 of "use it or lose it" money that can only be spent on Fitness. I'm going to buy something; the question is what.

Here's what I don't need (b/c I already have it)
    Squat rack
    Lat machine
    Treadmill
    Stationary Bike
    Elliptical
    Barbell w/ plates up to 400lbs
    Powerblocks up to 90
    EZ-Curl bar (for Powerblock set)
    Straps, hooks, belt, various other accessories.

I was thinking maybe a Leg Press machine, but it seems to me that most of the good ones are going to be way more than $800, and not sure if anything "cheapy" (like those vertical ones I see on Amazon) would be any good?

Anyway, I'm not married to the idea of a Leg Press machine. It's just that I have this money to spend, so I'm going to spend it on something. Another thing I'm considering is a Hex bar, but that won't be $800.

What would you buy if you were in my shoes?

jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Options

If you want something that can be used for leg press type exercises you could try the following:

Ironmind Hip Squat belt with a Deluxe Landmine Lat Blaster Platform from Barbells4me (both available on Amazon).
    - let's me perform some leg press-type movements without the space requirements of a machine. Less stress on the lower back and used late in my leg workout.
    Front/Zercher Squat Harness from GetStrength.
    - Useful for standing calf raises too
    Sissy Squat Bench from StrengthShopUSA.
    - Limited utility, quad specific use.

StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000)
    I bought a leg press myself. You know what I ended up using it for? I throw two 25s on it and slowly stretch out my hamstrings before I squat haha. Mine was about 800 dollars and came from powertec. I also didn't want the amazon trash, so look into powertec's.

As Jedpop said, go for a landmine system but more important than that in my opinion is a dip station. A dip station should be your number one priority, or a pull-up bar assuming your rack doesn't have one. Squat shoes are always good to have. Also you may want to consider getting a standard dumbbell set if you ever plan to dumbbell press more than 180 lbs. I'm feeling that pain right now since powerblocks discontinued the damn upgrade for elite classic. If you have a newer model besides elite classics, then go ahead and expand your powerblocks before they screw you over the way they did me.

tl;dr

Get a dip station.
    Last edited by StillbornSoul; 10-20-2015 at 05:07 PM.

EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

+1 on the dip station

OP, I read your post and immediately thought dip station. I just bought one from black widow and it is awesome. I tried out my new harbinger dip belt last night and it is also good but probably needs a little bit longer chain and a second carabiner. BW dip station and dip belt would leave 500.

dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You certainly need more weights. I would also look at the Powerblock expansion to 130 if you can find it.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It would be really helpful to know what your goals are--a bodybuilder may want/need something different from a powerlifter.

Dip stand would be a good idea. A GHD would be worth considering if you are looking to build strength. A good bar and some additional plates, especially if you think you will be adding some machines or setting up 2 bars at the same time.

You might also start looking at specialty bars--you mentioned a trap/hex bar, you might also consider a safety squat bar, Swiss bar, and/or buffalo bar.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50) jedpop will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Get it all+ (more is better, right?)

Don't want to seem like I work for Barbells4me but they offer a Pair Power Rack Adjustable Width Dip Attachments for 1" Safety Bars (on Amazon). If your squat rack uses 1" safeties it allows handle width adjustments.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Adjustab...dp/B00GJ1K4W8/

TDS (Newyorkbarbells) offers one too (with weak but adequate knurl):
    http://www.amazon.com/Adj-Dip-pull-u...dp/B005FMSAOQ/

I use the Harbinger dip belt with a quick-link in the center of the chain and a 1/4" (I think) carabiner with either an 8" or 9" loading pin - no complaints about it.

The Deluxe Landmine from Barbells4me is pretty sturdy too. I don't know of a better landmine on the market. It can be used for rows and 180's (and possibly viking presses). It doesn't have a single bolt pivot (it has u joints with bushings) so it can handle significantly more force. I've been thinking about having my local machinist add a securing screw to ensure that the barbell stays planted but the tube that holds the barbell is very long so it's not like the barbell pulls out easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Landmin...dp/B00SO2681G/

Total cost for all the above (Ironmind Hip Squat Belt, Deluxe Landmine, Dip Attachments, Harbinger Dip Belt, Loading Pin) is probably under $300 (not including shipping). What do you want to do with the other $400-500?

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Dip stand if you like dips.
    Glute Ham gives you a lot of different exercises for posterior chain and core.

You can pretty much get both as you have the budget.

Otherwise there isn't a lot that you need. You could always upgrade something to a nicer model if you have lower end stuff.

BodySolid has a leg extension/leg curl plate loaded machine if that's your thing.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000)

GHD all the way!

After my bar and rack, the most useful piece of equipment I have is my GHD. It is brutally humbling, but it will build your hams like nothing else. Also good for back extensions, abs.... If you are also doing sprints (2 teenagers sprinting in HS), then it will eliminate hamstring cramps - which was killing me when I ran with the kids. Age catches up with all of us, but we can cheat with good equipment and the right exercises. Good luck.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    It would be really helpful to know what your goals are--a bodybuilder may want/need something different from a powerlifter.
    ^^^^This.

Can't really offer relevant advices without knowing what you're trying to accomplish.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sstchur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by StillbornSoul View Post
    I bought a leg press myself. You know what I ended up using it for? I throw two 25s on it and slowly stretch out my hamstrings before I squat haha. Mine was about 800 dollars and came from powertec. I also didn't want the amazon trash, so look into powertec's.

As Jedpop said, go for a landmine system but more important than that in my opinion is a dip station. A dip station should be your number one priority, or a pull-up bar assuming your rack doesn't have one. Squat shoes are always good to have. Also you may want to consider getting a standard dumbbell set if you ever plan to dumbbell press more than 180 lbs. I'm feeling that pain right now since powerblocks discontinued the damn upgrade for elite classic. If you have a newer model besides elite classics, then go ahead and expand your powerblocks before they screw you over the way they did me.

tl;dr

Get a dip station.
    Crap, I didn't know this about Powerblocks! I was planning to upgrade past the 90s in another 6 months or so (and I have the classic elite!). Damn it.

I have the dip attachment for my Body Solid rack, so I'm good there. And I can do pullups on it fine. I also have squat shoes :-)

Dip stand would be a good idea. A GHD would be worth considering if you are looking to build strength. A good bar and some additional plates, especially if you think you will be adding some machines or setting up 2 bars at the same time.

You might also start looking at specialty bars--you mentioned a trap/hex bar, you might also consider a safety squat bar, Swiss bar, and/or buffalo bar.
    Main goal is to first put on more size. I'm 5'8, 160lbs and around maybe 10 or 11% bodyfat. Back in college, I was a solid 150lbs, very lean, but could never put on size (I knew nothing about nutrition). Now, for the first time, I'm gaining (roughly 1/2 lb per week). After a while, I will cut back down again, but I haven't finished putting on the size I want.

My workouts focus on big lifts (Deadlift, Squat, Bench, Press), but I do accessory work as well. Call it a combination of power work and hypertrophy work if you like.

Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    Dip stand if you like dips.
    Glute Ham gives you a lot of different exercises for posterior chain and core.

You can pretty much get both as you have the budget.

Otherwise there isn't a lot that you need. You could always upgrade something to a nicer model if you have lower end stuff.

BodySolid has a leg extension/leg curl plate loaded machine if that's your thing.
    I wouldn't say leg extension and curl are "my thing" but it's nice to have the option of exercise variation. As I mentioned in another post, my focus is on the big lifts, but I also do accessory work. Right now, I'm doing Brad Schoenfeld's MAX Muscle Plan. I'm in week 8. The first 7 weeks were all stength/power. Now it moves into a bit more accessory work.

So I wouldn't say I do any one thing exclusively, but try to focus on big lifts to gain strength and size, but also do accessory work to bring up parts that might not get sufficient work from the big lifts.

Damn it, this powerblock issue has really thrown me for a loop. I don't know what to do now. I looked into IronMaster, but I think they are a no-go -- too slow to change. I workout with a buddy and we use different weights. Powerblocks are nice b/c we can change weights rather quickly. In fact, I can change weight so quick w/ powerblocks, that you can even do drop sets. I think that's more or less impossible with IronMasters. Bowflex are junk, so that's out.

It looks like I have almost no option but to try to sell my current Powerblock set and buy one of the new models of PBs that go up past 90.

Anyone else see a better option? I'd not opposed to buying an entire dumbbell set, but I'm guessing that a set up to 100+ and the rack that would be needed for it is way more than $800 (plus whatever I could manage to get back for my current PB set).

Thoughts?

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sstchur View Post
    Damn it, this powerblock issue has really thrown me for a loop. I don't know what to do now. I looked into IronMaster, but I think they are a no-go -- too slow to change. I workout with a buddy and we use different weights. Powerblocks are nice b/c we can change weights rather quickly. In fact, I can change weight so quick w/ powerblocks, that you can even do drop sets. I think that's more or less impossible with IronMasters. Bowflex are junk, so that's out.

It looks like I have almost no option but to try to sell my current Powerblock set and buy one of the new models of PBs that go up past 90.

Anyone else see a better option? I'd not opposed to buying an entire dumbbell set, but I'm guessing that a set up to 100+ and the rack that would be needed for it is way more than $800 (plus whatever I could manage to get back for my current PB set).

Thoughts?
    Given your goal of being big/strong, it doesn't seem like you need a lot of machines....maybe a GHD would be helpful to you. I do think a good bar/additional plates would be a good idea.

You seem to clearly want DB's that go past 100 lbs, if you actually use them regularly, that wouldn't be a terrible place to start, assuming that you have a good-quality bar already.

I do want to challenge your thinking a bit.....you've got $800 to blow in hand right now. You are concerned about changing weights so that you and your partner can maximize your workouts. Why not keep the Powerblocks you currently have, and buy a second set of Powerblocks or Ironmasters? That would give you a lot of options.

Given your goal of being big/strong, it doesn't seem like you need a lot of machines....maybe a GHD would be helpful to you. I do think a good bar/additional plates would be a good idea.

You seem to clearly want DB's that go past 100 lbs, if you actually use them regularly, that wouldn't be a terrible place to start, assuming that you have a good-quality bar already.

I do want to challenge your thinking a bit.....you've got $800 to blow in hand right now. You are concerned about changing weights so that you and your partner can maximize your workouts. Why not keep the Powerblocks you currently have, and buy a second set of Powerblocks or Ironmasters? That would give you a lot of options.
    Yeah, well it's just that I really like DB chest press. Lately, I've been more focused on bench press, but DB press is a staple in my workouts and an exercise I really enjoy. I can handle 85s now and have even done some low-rep sets with 90s. So I'm confident I'll outgrow my current set. Granted, it's not essential to have DBs past 90, as this is pretty much the only exercise where I'd use that much. But it would be nice.

I guess IronMasters in addition to Powerblock is not out of the question, but it does feel a little redundant. On the other hand, I suppose I cannot make major equipment purchase decisions based on a buddy who only works out w/ me once or twice a week. Still, when he is here, it would be annoying if the weight changes we needed took any longer than they do w/ Powerblocks.

mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Glute Ham machine.
    Starting weight - 184 ~ Goal weight - 172

Jan 1-184|Jan 8-182.8|Jan 15-xxx|Jan 22-184|Jan 29-xxx|Total-xxx
    Feb 5-xxx|Feb 12-xxx|Feb 19-xxx|Feb 26-xxx|Total-xxx
    Mar 5-xxx|Mar 12-xxx|Mar 19-xxx|Mar 26-xxx|Total-xxx

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeah, well it's just that I really like DB chest press. Lately, I've been more focused on bench press, but DB press is a staple in my workouts and an exercise I really enjoy. I can handle 85s now and have even done some low-rep sets with 90s. So I'm confident I'll outgrow my current set. Granted, it's not essential to have DBs past 90, as this is pretty much the only exercise where I'd use that much. But it would be nice.

I guess IronMasters in addition to Powerblock is not out of the question, but it does feel a little redundant. On the other hand, I suppose I cannot make major equipment purchase decisions based on a buddy who only works out w/ me once or twice a week. Still, when he is here, it would be annoying if the weight changes we needed took any longer than they do w/ Powerblocks.
    there is the rub - want vs like vs space constraints vs how often would you use...
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

On the other hand, I suppose I cannot make major equipment purchase decisions based on a buddy who only works out w/ me once or twice a week. Still, when he is here, it would be annoying if the weight changes we needed took any longer than they do w/ Powerblocks.
    I think you are onto something here....you should make your decisions based on what is important to your continued progress. I wouldn't be too concerned about some guy who drops by once in a while unless he is helping to pay for equipment.

I said this last week in a different thread....How often do you really need to be concerned with making quick changes with your DB's? I often wonder how many people really stick to 30 second rest breaks between sets. I hear people complain about how long it takes to change all the time, but I don't believe this is really that big of a deal.

That said, in the interest of full disclosure, I do own 2 sets of Ironmasters. There are moments where it is convenient to have 2 different DB's set up and ready to go. You could always pick up some cheap standard plates and spinlock DB handles on Craigslist that go up to 50 lbs each hand and use that as your second set.

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    there is the rub - want vs like vs space constraints vs how often would you use...
    Ain't it the truth!

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Glute Ham by far for new equipment. From what you wrote this screams your goals and is versatile.

That budget doesn't allow for separate dumbells through the range you need. Costs compound heavily from 55-90 and 90-120. I'd view that as a separate issue. Ironmasters will require a full set plus expansion which will be overbudget and slow changes on lighter weights. A few thoughts alternatives off the top of my head:
    1) Sell your old PBs and get a new expanded set of PBs since you like them
    2) Keep your PBs and add Olympic DB handles for bigger weights (cheapest solution by far)
    3) Keep your PBs and add separate dbs at 100, 110, 120 etc...with those platemate/magnetic weights to fill the 5lbs or do without. You can eventually fill in other separates over time and accumulate the set you need/want. Only issue is I'm not sure how they handle and on heavier weights if they are problematic when setting up before putting into position (i.e. with dumbells on thighs etc...).

Probably some other ideas but this seems like it may help.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

Lots of good suggestions. Thanks to all.

A few thoughts: Regarding Olympic DB handles.... the problem I see with these (tell me if I'm wrong) is that they aren't flat on the ends. So how do I rest them on my knees and then rock back into flat db pressing position? It seems like with heavy weight, that would be prohibitive?

The Glute Ham seems to be getting a lot of votes. I have to admit I'm a little dumb on this piece of equipment. I will have to youtube it and see all what they are good for. I figured I get enough glute/ham work with Low-bar squat, Sumo DL, and lunges. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

Regarding high-quality bars.... here I'm a little ignorant as well. I have a bar I bought on Craigslist. It's not a Marcy or Cap or anything like that. But I don't know what brand it is. The guy I bought it from seemed knowledgeable (he was actually asking me how much I knew about bars and was explaining things about sleeves and bearings and what not). Anyway, according to him, this bar is "not a cheapy." I don't remember what I paid, as I bought all his plates w/ it as well.

But here's my question: why would I want to spend the money on a bar from Rogue or something like that? How would it make any substantial difference in my training? Assume my bar IS a cheapy -- even if it is, how would a better bar improve my workouts?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Main goal is to first put on more size.
    If you're bodybuilding, buy a Leg Press/Hack Squat machine. Most home bodybuilding trainees come up short on their leg development.

It can also be used to really thrash calves (an almost universally stubborn body part, and one that is difficult to train effectively in a home gym without proper equipment).
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would just keep your bar until you figure out it's not good enough anymore (something breaks, falls off, too whippy, etc.) Not sure how useful a GHD is, as you can do natural GHRs for hamstring and use other equipment for core work. I wouldn't spend all that money on a GHD until you have the basics first.

Do you have a high quality adjustable bench? If not , I"d look at the rogue adjustable benches. Adjustable benches are necessary for whatever you're doing, and you'll notice high quality differences (in addition to having better safety).

If the powerblocks are sufficient for you, that's fine. If you're near the top range, I'd pony up for the ironmasters that go to 120.

Lastly, if you find yourself unsatisfied with your cardio equipment, I'd look into a concept c2 rower.

Originally Posted by jackbravo View Post
    I would just keep your bar until you figure out it's not good enough anymore (something breaks, falls off, too whippy, etc.) Not sure how useful a GHD is, as you can do natural GHRs for hamstring and use other equipment for core work. I wouldn't spend all that money on a GHD until you have the basics first.

Do you have a high quality adjustable bench? If not , I"d look at the rogue adjustable benches. Adjustable benches are necessary for whatever you're doing, and you'll notice high quality differences (in addition to having better safety).

If the powerblocks are sufficient for you, that's fine. If you're near the top range, I'd pony up for the ironmasters that go to 120.

Lastly, if you find yourself unsatisfied with your cardio equipment, I'd look into a concept c2 rower.
    Yeah, I'm unsure about the GHD as well. Seems like people really like them, but it also seems that they have limited usefulness. I have a Body Solid adjustable bench which I really like a lot. I went through several benches before I landed on this one. It doesn't so decline, but that has never bothered me.

Is 120 the max that Ironmasters go to?

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    If you're bodybuilding, buy a Leg Press/Hack Squat machine. Most home bodybuilding trainees come up short on their leg development.

It can also be used to really thrash calves (an almost universally stubborn body part, and one that is difficult to train effectively in a home gym without proper equipment).
    Yeah, leg press was my first thought as well, but I'm keeping an open mind. Would be really nice to have a way to thrash calves. I don't have a great way to really load up calves at the moment, and they are a weak spot for me.

I guess another consideration is a calf machine, but it's usefulness is quite limited. Would be nice to buy something that has more universal application (at least more than one thing).

Yeah, leg press was my first thought as well, but I'm keeping an open mind. Would be really nice to have a way to thrash calves. I don't have a great way to really load up calves at the moment, and they are a weak spot for me.

I guess another consideration is a calf machine, but it's usefulness is quite limited.

Would be nice to buy something that has more universal application (at least more than one thing).
    You're describing a Leg Press/Hack Squat machine, at least for bodybuilding.

OT:
    Calves must be worked from two positions to work them thoroughly; with straight legs, a la Leg Press Calf Raises (or equiv.), and from the bent-knee position, a la Seated Calf Raises. Seated machines can usually be bought used fairly cheaply (many posters here reporting having picked up one for $100-150, and usually in near-new condition), but they're also fairly rare to be found used.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

OP, if you do get a leg press, you will need several more 45 lb plates to put on it. They usually aren't too hard to find on Craigslist, but you should definitely build that into your plan/cost.

aloosecannon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aloosecannon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aloosecannon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aloosecannon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aloosecannon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aloosecannon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aloosecannon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aloosecannon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aloosecannon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aloosecannon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aloosecannon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    First things that popped into my mind were ghd or reverse hyper. Both require a fair amount of space, though.

But here's my question: why would I want to spend the money on a bar from Rogue or something like that? How would it make any substantial difference in my training? Assume my bar IS a cheapy -- even if it is, how would a better bar improve my workouts?
    I missed this question when you asked it......to start, it might be good if you could post a picture of your current bar, someone here can embed it for you. Be sure to post pics of the ends of the sleeves, it helps a lot to know if the sleeves are held on with a hex bolt, a snap ring, or some other method.

A cheaper bar can't hold as much weight as a better bar, and the knurling can sometimes work against you rather than for you. More importantly, they bend permanently when dropped with much lower weights than better bars.

Most cheaper bars have chrome plating to ward off rust. The chrome plating tends to flake off rather quickly, and some guys actually get splinters in their hands from that. The chrome also blunts the knurling, making it more difficult to get a really good grip on the bar. If/when you get a decent bar, the difference in the knurling will be the first thing you notice about it. This is not an insurmountable issue, but it does become an issue at heavier weights.

Much more important is the amount of weight that the bar can hold. Bars are "rated" for static loads (be aware that "ratings" can be specious). This means that they are tested by putting a bar in a rack and loading weight on the sleeves. Typical "ratings" can be anywhere from 300 or 500 lbs for most cheap bars to 1500 lbs or more.

It is tempting to think "I don't need a better bar, because I'll probably never lift more than 500 lbs". It is important to keep in mind that a static rating doesn't take dynamic force into account. If you have a bar with 200 lbs of weight on your back for squats, then drop the bar accidentally across the safeties, you could generate about 1000 lbs of force. This will almost assuredly bend a cheap bar to the point where it is no longer useable. However, most better bars will not bend at all. This is really the reason to consider a better bar once you are able to squat or deadlift above 250 lbs or so.

Some bars are made to be stiffer for movements like squats/bench press, and some are made to be whippier for deadlifts/power cleans. You may not need bars with those particular features anytime soon, but eventually you might.

That said, you may not notice much difference in your performance with a better bar, but the bar will last much longer--at some point, everyone drops a bar here and there.

*Note that force is now measured in kilonewtons, not "pounds of force". I used that term because it illustrated my point better.

EDIT: Here is a thread with a lot of good information about what makes a good barbell:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...barbell+thread
    Last edited by rlundregan; 10-22-2015 at 05:40 AM.