lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need Advice on working out with a buddy...

So I have a year experience of lifting under my belt but have not lifted in a couple years. My friend was ready to lift with me so I decided to start the starting strength back up but he has never squatted, benched, or deadlifted in his life. After a hilarious visit at the gym it quickly dawns on me teaching these things is a lot harder than I thought. We only have after work at 3am... to lift so options are limited.

Anyways my friend suggest we start benching and a smith machine til we get our weights up then switch to a regular bench to begin our STARTING STRENGTH program. Does this even sound like a reasonable idea? I for one hate the smith machines and think they are for the most part garbage but that's my opinion. Some sound advice would be nice thanks in advance.

CagedInSanity is on a distinguished road. (+10) CagedInSanity is on a distinguished road. (+10) CagedInSanity is on a distinguished road. (+10) CagedInSanity is on a distinguished road. (+10) CagedInSanity is on a distinguished road. (+10) CagedInSanity is on a distinguished road. (+10) CagedInSanity is on a distinguished road. (+10) CagedInSanity is on a distinguished road. (+10) CagedInSanity is on a distinguished road. (+10) CagedInSanity is on a distinguished road. (+10) CagedInSanity is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by lightweight180 View Post
    So I have a year experience of lifting under my belt but have not lifted in a couple years. My friend was ready to lift with me so I decided to start the starting strength back up but he has never squatted, benched, or deadlifted in his life. After a hilarious visit at the gym it quickly dawns on me teaching these things is a lot harder than I thought. We only have after work at 3am... to lift so options are limited.

Anyways my friend suggest we start benching and a smith machine til we get our weights up then switch to a regular bench to begin our STARTING STRENGTH program. Does this even sound like a reasonable idea? I for one hate the smith machines and think they are for the most part garbage but that's my opinion. Some sound advice would be nice thanks in advance.

Smith machines limit your range of motion on squats and deadlifts and will only make your form worse/injure you.

If you can get to a hack squat machine that could help but mostly haut start with low weights, practice with warm up weights before you get started, and seriously focus on form.

For me I'm also a beginner and I found it really helpful to post deadlift and squat checks in the "exercise" sub forum and people will let you know your weaknesses and give tips on how to improve.

Ps I tried to teach a buddy to squat too so I feel you on how hard it is, he justs would not arch his ducking back!!

skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Anyways my friend suggest we start benching and a smith machine til we get our weights up then switch to a regular bench to begin our STARTING STRENGTH program. Does this even sound like a reasonable idea? .
    Sounds like a terrible idea. Starting strength is suppose to get your "weight" up. Start light, forget ego.

lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have leave my ego right at the door as I am skinny to start with its my partner that is telling me he got embarrassed lifting weight last night. He struggle getting 105lb bench up.

As for deads and squats we wouldn't be using the smith machine I am well aware of that limited range of motion that thing sucks.

skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The smith machine has its place but not in starting strength or stronglifts.

MarkDenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Free Weight

When I first started lifting I wasn't sure how to go about benching and didn't know if a smith would be the correct route to sort of merge into free weight benching. This was a bad idea simply due to the fact that my smaller muscle that would normally help stabilize a free weight bench press weren't being used. This in turn made the transition from smith to free weight very awkward and difficult. I personally recommend that you start lightweight on a free weight bench press to get a feel for it. Once you are comfortable, move up weight and lift whatever you see fit.

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have leave my ego right at the door as I am skinny to start with its my partner that is telling me he got embarrassed lifting weight last night. He struggle getting 105lb bench up.

As for deads and squats we wouldn't be using the smith machine I am well aware of that limited range of motion that thing sucks.
    its my partner that is telling me he got embarrassed lifting weight last night.
    he got embarrassed
    Tell your partner not to give a **** what weight he's doing, and don't shy away from free weights just cos he's weak, or he's gonna stay weak. It's SS, dude, 5 pounds on your bench, 1.5x/week, 105 current, that'll add up fast. If he goes on the smith, it's gonna **** with his form, make him weaker, give him a false sense of what he can lift, and appeal to the wrong mentality. Tell him to get on the free weights, exactly like SS calls for, or find yourself a different partner.