neilpeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bad posture / shoulder blade (traps?) pain

Hi guys, I've finally decided to join BB.com after the occasional lurk over the past few years. I have typically bad posture. Forward head, can't keep myself standing (hell, or sitting) straight for a few moments without finding it exhausting. I figure this is due to me being a video game geek for about 10 years.

My back is ALWAYS tense, with the exception of being in the shower or in the swimming baths. I self-crack it with ease by simply pulling my head back in and straightening up. pop pop pop. The WORST pain seems to be between my spine and right shoulder blade. I'm doing this real screwed up thing to crack/release it, by kind of sticking my right shoulder out to the right and touching my ear to my left shoulder. That pops it most times, and gives it relief for typically...minutes.
    I can't sleep on my back as doing so seems to lift my shoulders up while my back sinks in, so I have to pull them down to crack my back. It's just ALWAYS tense. It really sucks, it prevents me from getting a good sleep like every night.

I am a drummer (I hope one or two of you get my username reference) and am fortunately starting to make money off of it, and whilst drumming I am ALWAYS aware of my posture/resulting pain and at times it can be incredibly distracting. And now that I'm not a bedroom drummer anymore, I can't afford to keep my mind occupied like this. Having to try to sit up straight every moment, I just wish it would happen by default!
    I'm an absolute idiot for ignoring it for years and just dealing, but I'm sick of it and so...here I am. I'm just hoping maybe any of you guys have heard of this before and know what to do, I have tried searching the forums of course but could never find anything that applies specifically to me. I gather it's a back strengthening problem but...exercising your back can be quite awkward, to actually activate those muscles.

Thanks guys, really appreciate you taking your time to read - even if just one of you do!

Awrson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by neilpeart View Post
    Hi guys, I've finally decided to join BB.com after the occasional lurk over the past few years. I have typically bad posture. Forward head, can't keep myself standing (hell, or sitting) straight for a few moments without finding it exhausting. I figure this is due to me being a video game geek for about 10 years.

My back is ALWAYS tense, with the exception of being in the shower or in the swimming baths. I self-crack it with ease by simply pulling my head back in and straightening up. pop pop pop. The WORST pain seems to be between my spine and right shoulder blade. I'm doing this real screwed up thing to crack/release it, by kind of sticking my right shoulder out to the right and touching my ear to my left shoulder. That pops it most times, and gives it relief for typically...minutes.
    I can't sleep on my back as doing so seems to lift my shoulders up while my back sinks in, so I have to pull them down to crack my back. It's just ALWAYS tense. It really sucks, it prevents me from getting a good sleep like every night.

I am a drummer (I hope one or two of you get my username reference) and am fortunately starting to make money off of it, and whilst drumming I am ALWAYS aware of my posture/resulting pain and at times it can be incredibly distracting. And now that I'm not a bedroom drummer anymore, I can't afford to keep my mind occupied like this. Having to try to sit up straight every moment, I just wish it would happen by default!
    I'm an absolute idiot for ignoring it for years and just dealing, but I'm sick of it and so...here I am. I'm just hoping maybe any of you guys have heard of this before and know what to do, I have tried searching the forums of course but could never find anything that applies specifically to me. I gather it's a back strengthening problem but...exercising your back can be quite awkward, to actually activate those muscles.

Thanks guys, really appreciate you taking your time to read - even if just one of you do!
    Post pictures, start doing pull ups

NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    stretching would be your fren
    the heavier you lift, the more mobility work u need to do
    try to have 2.1 pull to push ration in ur routine
    go to the injury and prevention section, there are nice stickies there