Changer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Standing cable bicep curl (behind the back)

Hi all,

I'm currently doing the "6 weeks to sick arms" training program, which is one of the newer featured workout programs on BB.com

Tomorrow is week 2, work out 2 for me but I'm confused about one of the exercises. It's called the "standing cable bicep curl (behind the back)". I know how to do the standing cable bicep curl, that's no problem. It's the 'behind the back' part that confuses me.

Could anyone help me on this please?
    Any info. would be appreciated!

Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stand with your back facing the pulley, pull the bar attached to the cable through your legs.

Changer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Dr.Singh2010 View Post
    Stand with your back facing the pulley, pull the bar attached to the cable through your legs.
    thanks for your help, that worked great!

jmorovich has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Changer View Post
    thanks for your help, that worked great!
    I might be wrong (Lord knows its not the first time and certainly won't be the last), but I don't think putting the cable between your legs constitutes a "behind the back" cable curl. Technically speaking putting the cable between your legs doesn't change the position of the arm so why not just do it facing the cable so you don't get that uncomfortable cable movement between your legs??

I think they meant for you to do this behind the back curl (well just tried to post a link to the workout and because I don't have enough posts I can't post links - REALLY??). Do a search on STANDING BICEP CABLE CURL BEHIND THE BACK and click on the M&F Raw #16 Behind your Back Cable Curl link. The picture on the 6 week workout is misleading. Go by the words/description not the picture. This actually puts your arm behind your back in a sense and changes the position of th Bicep working the muscle differently than a traditional cable curl.

Again, I could be wrong but I too am doing the 6 week arm workout and decided to use this one based on the behing the back description and loved the stretch and workout I got for my Bi.

Noooodlearms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noooodlearms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noooodlearms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noooodlearms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noooodlearms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noooodlearms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noooodlearms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noooodlearms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noooodlearms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noooodlearms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noooodlearms will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dr.Singh2010 View Post
    This. Highly rating cables for arm movements too. Try them single armed as well with the cable coming past your side.

Good luck with those bulging 'ceps.

MightyLaith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Judging the time you have created this thread I think this comment would be useless by now,

But jmorovich has got it spot on,

Since the program is created by Dr. Jim Stopanni, he's very much referring to a specific way of performing the biceps curl on the cable machine that he discussed on the episode jmorovich also mentioned of the series M&F Raw which is epi. 16

You can find the episode here:
    muscleandfitness.com/videos/mf-raw/raw-training/mf-raw-16-behind-back-cable-curl

In case you couldn't, check out the pictures I have attached to know exactly how the exercise is performed. The idea basically is standing about 2 feet in front of the cable machine facing the opposite direction (back facing the machine), retract your arm behind your back till it forms 45 degrees with your body, and then while your upper arm is stationary, curl as hard as you can and squeeze for a second.

The rationale behind performing this exercise as Dr. Jim explains is that the long head of the biceps is attached after crossing the shoulder joint, which means by moving your arm backwards you will be specifically stretching the long head, and when a muscle is stretched, it can produce more force hence targeting the longer head of the biceps for a better peek look.

I personally performed this exercise and it gives a different feel than performing a regular cable curl.

Hope that helped.
    Attached Images

mishoAlfie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    is there an alternative exercise to do at home ?

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Home equivalent might be dumbbell curls on an incline bench.

If you try these, start extremely LIGHT! Very intense stretch that you won’t feel until the next day.
    Last edited by HomeGymChains; 04-15-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621