vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice on raising calories/what to expect...

Hi everyone!

I'm two year weight restored from anorexia and after buying a bodymedia and lurking around the forums a bit, I would really like to try raising my calories too see if I can get my metabolism working a bit better...

Current average burn is around 2400 cal/day and if I look back over the past months since Jan, I've been eating:

Jan: ~1650--> got bodymedia and decided I could finally try and eat more...
    Feb:~1800 --> gained 6lb freaked out and cut cals back, 6lb where gone within 2 weeks
    Mars:~1450
    April:~1450

before buying the body media I was only eating around 1000-1200 cals,I attribut most of the weight gain that I had coming out of anorexia to the binges that I had back then (has never hospitalised and kinda had to figure things out by myself and kinda failed at first...though I did and still do have a therapist for all the mental parts...)at that point blood test where showing low thyroid hormones too, but things seem to be normal now ( latest blood test was in end of march).

Anyway I was looking at my numbers and realised that I have never really been at a proper maintenance level of calories and would like to see if I can try raising them a bit like I ve seen some of you do over in the gowearfit/bodybugg tread...-->Yes I know 2 years late but better late then never right?

What would be a good strategy for raising cals ?

100 extra per week?
    250 extra per week?
    Or just jump to maintenance?

And what should I expect in terms of weight ? I don't really want to freak out like last time, though I know that i'll probably gain some weight...
    I also seemed to have lots of problems with bloating when I had raised my cals back in feb, does that go away after a while? because it's kinda embarrassing

Thanks for your help!

Oh, random side question: Does anyone here use Cron-o-meter (cron-o-meter.en.softonic.com) for logging calories? Do you think it's accurate? I've compared it to nutritiondata and it only varies +/- 30 cals...

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't know anything about anorexia, but I do know for me personally small changes are best. And it seems like you might be real uncomfortable taking in a whole bunch all at once, so sure - go up a 100 cal for awhile. When you are comfortable with that, then go up some more. Also, how much exercise are you getting?

Once you get your nutrition dialed in, you're going to feel more energetic. Good luck.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    You'll definitely gain weight, but that's not a bad thing. I've never been where you have, but a friend of mine went though ED recovery, and it took her quite awhile to get back up to maintenance. As long as you increase your calories slowly, you should gain slowly. If you're fitting in appropriate weight training, you'll put on muscle as well as fat, so even though you'll gain pounds you'll look leaner. If your weight gets out of control, keep on checking thyroid function. It can fluctuate month to month, so one or two good tests doesn't mean you're good forever, unfortunately.

Do you have an ED support group? If so, they should be able to help you through this better. No one can tell you exactly how your body will respond, but putting on a few pounds should be expected. If the number on the scale is too hard to face, don't use it. You can tell how you look and feel by just knowing your own body, no need for weigh ins. Eating more will give you more energy, will make your skin look nicer, allow you to think more clearly, and allow you to build more sexy muscle.

Up your calories slowly, a 100 more per day every week, and you'll start feeling so much better. It will make the few extra pounds worth it.

Dive_Bum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dive_Bum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dive_Bum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dive_Bum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face

Originally Posted by vENomate View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm two year weight restored from anorexia and after buying a bodymedia and lurking around the forums a bit, I would really like to try raising my calories too see if I can get my metabolism working a bit better...

Current average burn is around 2400 cal/day and if I look back over the past months since Jan, I've been eating:

Jan: ~1650--> got bodymedia and decided I could finally try and eat more...
    Feb:~1800 --> gained 6lb freaked out and cut cals back, 6lb where gone within 2 weeks
    Mars:~1450
    April:~1450

before buying the body media I was only eating around 1000-1200 cals,I attribut most of the weight gain that I had coming out of anorexia to the binges that I had back then (has never hospitalised and kinda had to figure things out by myself and kinda failed at first...though I did and still do have a therapist for all the mental parts...)at that point blood test where showing low thyroid hormones too, but things seem to be normal now ( latest blood test was in end of march).

Anyway I was looking at my numbers and realised that I have never really been at a proper maintenance level of calories and would like to see if I can try raising them a bit like I ve seen some of you do over in the gowearfit/bodybugg tread...-->Yes I know 2 years late but better late then never right?

What would be a good strategy for raising cals ?

100 extra per week?
    250 extra per week?
    Or just jump to maintenance?

And what should I expect in terms of weight ? I don't really want to freak out like last time, though I know that i'll probably gain some weight...
    I also seemed to have lots of problems with bloating when I had raised my cals back in feb, does that go away after a while? because it's kinda embarrassing

Thanks for your help!

Oh, random side question: Does anyone here use Cron-o-meter (cron-o-meter.en.softonic.com) for logging calories? Do you think it's accurate? I've compared it to nutritiondata and it only varies +/- 30 cals...
    First off, congrats on your continuing recovery! I know how long and difficult a path it can be. I'm no expert, all I can tell you is from my experience. Last year I slowly raised my calories from around 1000-1200 cals a day to around 2000. 2000 wasn't even at my maintenance but it seemed like a big (and kinda scary) number to aim for. I had some bloating and weight gain in the beginning but it wasn't fat gain and, as my body adjusted, I actually lost some fat but maintainted my weight. Which was nice.
    Unfortunately, I let that slip and am now in the process of repairing my metabolism by eating at (or close to) maintenance, around 2500--3000, so that when I cut to lose fat I can start losing at around 2000 and have some where to go from there if I hit plateaus.
    If you feel like you are gaining weight and freak out stop raising calories for a bit but stick with it until you feel like your body has adjusted. This can be as slow or fast a process as you want. Good luck!

vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10) vENomate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First off, thanks everyone for your help!

@Dive_Bum: I guess that I'm trying to do the same thing as you and try and repair my metabolism... It seems that with the amount of exercise that I do that my bodymedia should be about right with my maintenance being around 2400 and some days even 3000
    ( for instance on heavy lifting days + work+ horse riding) but I am no where near eating at that number on a regular basis...

How do you go about raising your calories ? Also about a 100 extra per week like the others suggested?

And how do you know when you've hit your real maintenance number and are not just gaining water weight?

dancer924 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dancer924 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dancer924 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dancer924 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dancer924 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dancer924 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dancer924 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dancer924 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dancer924 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dancer924 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dancer924 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think taking it slow would give you the best results.. I'd stick with 100 a week!

sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Take it slow! Don't shock your system. 100-150 a week should be good.

Dive_Bum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dive_Bum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dive_Bum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dive_Bum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

@Dive_Bum: I guess that I'm trying to do the same thing as you and try and repair my metabolism... It seems that with the amount of exercise that I do that my bodymedia should be about right with my maintenance being around 2400 and some days even 3000
    ( for instance on heavy lifting days + work+ horse riding) but I am no where near eating at that number on a regular basis...

How do you go about raising your calories ? Also about a 100 extra per week like the others suggested?

And how do you know when you've hit your real maintenance number and are not just gaining water weight?
    The first time around I raised my calories very slowly--about a hundred a week. This time, given a multitude of factors (finals, packing, moving, rushing around) I have just jumped right in to eating at maintenance. Taking it slowly is more to keep bloat to a minimum and for pyschological factors but if you are comfortable with eating more, go for it. Whatever works for you. After a while your body should adjust and the bloat should subside, but how long it takes is individual.

Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Freak4Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Yes always start small, always... the body needs adjustment time
    100 cals is a great place to start if you can go a little more on days than great!
    What you need to do coming from anorexia is ensure you maintain the calories your daily goal is & yes 1450 is too small especially when W.T

There are lots of calcualtors & or equations (BB.com) has a great sticky for that
    do not focus on maintenence calories but the "right" calories for your goal (unless it is to maintain of course)
    It took me alot of time & research to figure mine out but you are at the right site for that too
    Best of Luck!
    "Eating to lose is a mind Fawk, but there is science and logic behind it, then we'll get you bulking and mess with your mind some more" - Freebird
    "I lift heavy things, then put them back down...seriously, it's not rocket science..." -Kimm4
    "My two cents, not everyone wants to hear it though... If doing this was easy, everyone would be fit." - Rowyn
    Success is relative...Define Your Own! - Soopamyko

thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50) thecityignites will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've recovered from AN. It is really rough, and some times I still find myself kinda wondering about whether or not I'm eating too little/too much.
    1450 calories a day really is not enough. I know its scary when you start to see a weight gain, but its truly not the end of the world. The fact that you lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks shows you that most of the weight gain you saw was really just a fluctuation in water weight. When you initially increase calories significantly, there is a flux in weight because your body has to adjust to processing more. I gained 3 lbs in a week once. I freaked out, but I obviously couldn't cut down my calories. Weight went right back down after 2 weeks of consistent calorie intake, and I only had a net gain of 1/2 a pound. This has happened to me on several occasions. The most important thing is to make yourself goals and follow through on them.

I don't know what your diet was like when you were recovering, but you should have been eating at least 2500 calories a day to do so. TBH to me, it sounds like you are doing too much activity and not taking in enough calories to balance it out, which will put your body under stress very much the same way starvation does. And I'm willing to bet that if you raised your calories up to a healthy amount (like in the 2000-ish range) you'd feel 100x better mentally and physically, and if given a proper amount of time - you'd find you can maintain on much more than you currently are. The initial fluctuation in weight isn't really something you should be worried about. Its been my experience that if you stick to the calories, your metabolism will right itself and your weight will go back to normal. I upped my calories by about 400/day earlier this year. Gained 2-3 lbs. And then stopped gaining after a few weeks. And between October and December,started losing. On 2500 a day. It IS possible to get your body back on track. It just takes a bit of patience.

And yes, the bloating does also go away. Again, patience and consistency.

Smile

Ok going to try to go up about 200 cals at first form where i am now : so about 1650 since I've already been there a couple months ago I should be ok with it mentally even if I do have a bit of bloating, then try and go up 100 cal/week...

It's really funny how the body seems to be able to adapt to so many levels of intake, I don't really get how that works, hormones to some degree I guess and increased efficiency of movements?

@thecityignites : recovery was mayhem I was pretty much on my own trying to figure everything out because I was in a pretty unstable environement family and relationship wise...not to mention school and other obligations.

So I would try and eat more like upping to 2000 cal then freak out, bring it back down, try not counting, try losing the weight that I gained then get frustrated and end up binging for 3 days etc... was not a fun time, have to say I'm much happier now and pretty proud of the muscle that I've some how managed to build over the past year! Weight Training has really saved me in a way!

The only thing missing now I guess would be to be able to eat a normal amount of food for someone my height and weight, especially since I would really like to try and go further with my strenght goals !

Oh and of course not freak out over water weight and bloating gotta commit to it !