ohohraptor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Supplement Newbie! What Should I Be Taking?

So I've browsed over this site and am completely overwhelmed by all the different supplements out there. I have recently gotten serious about my training and want to get that extra bump from some supplements, but I have no idea what I should be taking.

I run 16-20 miles per week. I strength train three days per week for an hour each. I want to lose fat, but keep the muscle I have, ideally gain muscle as well(although I hear it's difficult to do both?). I'm looking for something pre workout that I can use before running or a strength day for endurance and energy, perhaps something I can use post work out too? I've taken "fat burners" before but I have felt really jittery, I don't need anything that intense or anything that will keep me up all night. I don't really want an appetite suppressant since i have a hard enough time eating back my exercise calories on run days.

Oh, and I am female!

So what do you guys recommend?

UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ohohraptor View Post
    So I've browsed over this site and am completely overwhelmed by all the different supplements out there. I have recently gotten serious about my training and want to get that extra bump from some supplements, but I have no idea what I should be taking.

I run 16-20 miles per week. I strength train three days per week for an hour each. I want to lose fat, but keep the muscle I have, ideally gain muscle as well(although I hear it's difficult to do both?). I'm looking for something pre workout that I can use before running or a strength day for endurance and energy, perhaps something I can use post work out too? I've taken "fat burners" before but I have felt really jittery, I don't need anything that intense or anything that will keep me up all night. I don't really want an appetite suppressant since i have a hard enough time eating back my exercise calories on run days.

Oh, and I am female!

So what do you guys recommend?
    What fat loss supplements have you taken before? Could help us to better suggest something to you knowing what you don't respond well to.
    UNCnate@gmail.com, B.Sc, ASCM CPT

Originally Posted by UNCnate View Post
    What fat loss supplements have you taken before? Could help us to better suggest something to you knowing what you don't respond well to.
    Oh gosh what did I take... I think it was slimquick? Slim something... Sorry that doesn't hep much. I also took phenphedrine and that was just terrible. I felt amazing while I ran but terrible the rest of the day. I was jittery, couldn't eat, nervous, couldn't sleep. It was terrible. Huge waste of money for me.

StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dangerous question - you will get 400+ opinions...

a good NO supp pre-workout.. I personally like N.O. explode before I run.. but I am currently a BSN whore. I will be trying others but for now thats what I use it works for me.

Originally Posted by StangBanger View Post
    Dangerous question - you will get 400+ opinions...

a good NO supp pre-workout.. I personally like N.O. explode before I run.. but I am currently a BSN whore. I will be trying others but for now thats what I use it works for me.
    What's BSN? I'll look into it!

mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I will not recommend a PWO for you, as I am not a runner...and I dont know how all that jives with running, so ill let someone with more experience answer that.

Supplementation will only augment what YOU do as an athlete. I think there are a few supplements that ALL athletes can and do agree on as being essential. Forgive me if you are already taking some of these.

A good multi-vitamin. Preferably one WITHOUT dicalciumphosphate. Meaning, take one that is in the form of a gel capsule. DCP is near impossible to break down, there is a reason people refer to pills with them as "bed pan bullets".

Fish oil. EFAs are an athletes best friend...helps with metabolic processes and also reduces inflammation.

Creatine. A good creatine mono to start with should suffice. Creatine is an ATP precursor and can help with muscular energy. It needs to saturate cells, so it takes time to have a surplus. Most people will do a "loading" phase, then a maintenance phase then cycle off before repeating. Some dont worry about load phases and just supplement it at its maintenance phase (5g daily).

Those are really the things you should be taking, after that...I feel a lot of things are more specific to ones goals.
    ~ Infinite Labs Rep
    http://infinitelabsstore.com/

♦♦ I Am Juggernaut Challenge ♦♦ Win a Trip to the 2011 Mr. Olympia!!!
    www.iamjuggernaut.com
    http://iamjuggernaut.com/rules.pdf

Group Juggernaut!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/group.php?groupid=30172

Visit Infinite Labs on ********:
    http://www.********.com/InfiniteLabsSupplements

ROM and MMC are more important than EGO
    400Lb Gorilla

mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000)
    What's BSN? I'll look into it!
    BSN is a supplement company with a broad range of products.
    ~ Infinite Labs Rep

www.iamjuggernaut.com

Group Juggernaut!

400Lb Gorilla

Originally Posted by mtfx View Post
    I will not recommend a PWO for you, as I am not a runner...and I dont know how all that jives with running, so ill let someone with more experience answer that.

Supplementation will only augment what YOU do as an athlete. I think there are a few supplements that ALL athletes can and do agree on as being essential. Forgive me if you are already taking some of these.

A good multi-vitamin. Preferably one WITHOUT dicalciumphosphate. Meaning, take one that is in the form of a gel capsule. DCP is near impossible to break down, there is a reason people refer to pills with them as "bed pan bullets".

Fish oil. EFAs are an athletes best friend...helps with metabolic processes and also reduces inflammation.

Creatine. A good creatine mono to start with should suffice. Creatine is an ATP precursor and can help with muscular energy. It needs to saturate cells, so it takes time to have a surplus. Most people will do a "loading" phase, then a maintenance phase then cycle off before repeating. Some dont worry about load phases and just supplement it at its maintenance phase (5g daily).

Those are really the things you should be taking, after that...I feel a lot of things are more specific to ones goals.
    I'm taking a multi vitamin but it is not a gel cap. I'll get one as soon as I run out of the one I'm taking now. Taking fish oil, but I usually only take it once a day because I forget about it.

What's a good creatine powder(it comes in powder right?) to take? Or are they all pretty much the same? Why do people do a loading phase?

BMXandSLED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    IMO finding a good multi-vitamin and efa would be best to start. They are things that should be included in everyones supplement stack.

I know Optimum Nutrition makes a women specific multi called Opti-women, I would suggest that for your multi.

Fish iols for your essential efa's like mtfx suggested can be found almost anywhere.

Creatine's are helpful but not essential. I personally dont know any women at my gym that take mono. If you wanted to get into creatines I would suggested Kre-a-fem made by All American EFX. Again i dont know anybody who personally takes it but its a women specific kre-alkalyn and I hear its fairly popular.

Finally if you wanted you could add a protein/whey. Optimum Nutrition makes a gold standard whey thats popular amongst both men and women.

Again this is my own opinion. I am by no means a doctor or supplement scientist or whatever. Good Luck!!!

BMXandSLED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh also I found this link once while looking up some supplements for one of the girls i worked out with.

http://weightlossandtraining.com/wor...or-women-top10

lol good luck again and hope this helps!

I'm taking a multi vitamin but it is not a gel cap. I'll get one as soon as I run out of the one I'm taking now. Taking fish oil, but I usually only take it once a day because I forget about it.

What's a good creatine powder(it comes in powder right?) to take? Or are they all pretty much the same? Why do people do a loading phase?
    Some people load...to saturate muscle cells. Others dont take the approach. I have done both.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/koch1.htm

That should help.

Originally Posted by BMXandSLED View Post
    IMO finding a good multi-vitamin and efa would be best to start. They are things that should be included in everyones supplement stack.

I know Optimum Nutrition makes a women specific multi called Opti-women, I would suggest that for your multi.

Fish iols for your essential efa's like mtfx suggested can be found almost anywhere.

Creatine's are helpful but not essential. I personally dont know any women at my gym that take mono. If you wanted to get into creatines I would suggested Kre-a-fem made by All American EFX. Again i dont know anybody who personally takes it but its a women specific kre-alkalyn and I hear its fairly popular.

Finally if you wanted you could add a protein/whey. Optimum Nutrition makes a gold standard whey thats popular amongst both men and women.

Again this is my own opinion. I am by no means a doctor or supplement scientist or whatever. Good Luck!!!
    I am also not a womanz...so if there is a specific female blend, its beyond my knowledge, but as mentioned above...may be something to look into.

whey is popular, and dont get me wrong I have 15+ pounds of it at home...but as of late, I have been trying to get more whole foods, instead of whey, but whey has its place. If you want something absorbed fast, whey iso is the way to go.

Its up to you though on how you want to reach your macros.
    ~ Infinite Labs Rep

www.iamjuggernaut.com

Group Juggernaut!

400Lb Gorilla

Thanks for the articles! Off to read them now.