pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

OK people.....IT'S ON!

Hello everyone, well, the last of my supps came in today and it's about time I started this training log. Anyway, a little fitness background first:

I've been weight training most of my adult life, with breaks of varying lengths for a multitude of reasons: surgeries, marriage, daughter.you get the point. Back in my 30's I was a 'semi-professional' mountain biker. All that really means is that I wasn't good enough to make any money, but managed to find sponsors to pay my way into races and get some swag. In addition to biking, my family and I have been studying Tae Kwon Do for about 4 years now, and I studied by myself for a few years back in my 20's. All of us are currently 1st degree Black belts. All in all, I don't think I?m in really bad shape for a 45 yr old dude...with one exception...

Surgery, lots and lots of surgery. 10 orthopedic surgeries to be exact. Working from the head down the list goes like this:
    - right shoulder twice - one rotator cuff and one torn labrum;
    - left shoulder once - impingement syndrome, last year;
    - left wrist twice - broke the crap out of it, and a couple years later they went back in to remove some scar tissue;
    - right pinky finger - broke the crap out of it and they fused the distal joint together with some pins;
    - left knee once - took out the meniscus
    - right knee three times - took out the meniscus, torn PCL and last year a 'general cleaning.'

Did I mention two skull fractures? Yeah, it hurts to be me. The majority of the injuries were from mountain biking - trees don't move when crashed into, and a couple have been from Tae Kwon Do. Enough about that...

Which brings me to what I'm about to start: to get in the best shape of my life at 45. I know it can be done, I've read enough of the training blogs, and looked at enough pics of guys my age to know that it can be. I got back in the gym - the Powerhouse in Dearborn Mi, about 2 1/2 months ago after a layoff of about a year. I took some time off after the two surgeries last year, then got laid off for 7 months. But here I am, and having been back in the gym long enough to build a base, I'm ready to take it to the next level.

Currently, I'm at 177 pounds at 5'7" and approximately 18% body fat. Before the layoff from the gym last year, I was benching a one rep max of about 270 weighing about 170 pounds. Currently it's at 230. Squats I haven't been able to do in the past due to my knees, but since I've been back, I've been fiddling around seeing if I can work them into the routine. So far the results have been mixed. I'm not ready to put them in full time yet. The same goes with overhead pressing movements - I have lots of trouble with them due to the shoulder surgeries. I have found a Life Fitness machine that doesn?t seem to cause too much pain.

Current supplements:
    ON Gold Standard Whey - chosen because there's a good dose of both BCAA's and Glutamine.
    Creatine Mono
    Fish oil - from Costco
    Multi - also from Costco
    And last but not least - Novedex XT for the next 8 weeks.

I chose the Novedex mainly because I'd like to see if it helps bulk me up (along with diet of course.) I read Nuclear Arms, Pac8 and Cap Lou's logs and they seemed to do OK on it - no real bad side effects, and we're in the same ballpark age wise. Since I'm way under 200 lbs, I'm only going to take one a day. Test level as of 3 weeks ago was 330 on a scale of 280 - 710.

Goals: for now, to just get a little stronger every week and not get hurt. After the year layoff the joints need to re-acclimate. Hopefully, over the next couple months I can bulk up a little, and peel off a few percentage points of fat. My diet is actually pretty clean, and I'm going to use fit day to post my daily eats. Warning: you will see lots of white rice as my main carb. The wife is Filipino, it can't be helped. I'm not going to be counting calories per se, I'm going to try to keep them in the 2200-2400 range and see what happens for the next month, then adjust as needed. The workout I've been doing since I got back in the Powerhouse is basically working one body part per day once a week. I don't really schedule days off, I take them when needed. I try to listen to what the body is telling me, I just don't always hear it. Also 30 minutes of cardio per workout.

Well that's about it for the introduction, I hope you all tune in!

Steve
    Last edited by pig_killer; 11-24-2009 at 04:44 PM.

pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

11/25 arm day

Triceps

V-bar cable push downs
    42.5 x 25 - warm up
    65 x 12 drop to 42.5 x 12
    72.5 x 10 drop to 52.5 x 10
    80 x 8 drop to 57.5 x 8
    87.5 x 6 drop to 65 x 6

Tri extensions (life fitness machine)
    60 x 10
    80 x 8 (failure)
    100 x 6 (failure)

Biceps
    BB curls
    50 x 12 x 2 (warm up)
    60 x 10 x 2
    80 x 6 x 2 (failure both times)

Preacher curls (life fitness)
    80 x 10 drop to 40 x 6 (failure)
    100 x 8 drop to 60 x 6 (failure)
    100 x 8 drop to 60 x 6 (failure)

30 minutes on the recumbent (223 cals)

Breakfast:
    can tuna fish
    2 hard boiled eggs
    protein shake

Lunch
    1.5 cups rice
    6 oz boneless pork - baked

Dinner
    ~3 cups spaghetti with meatballs
    2 pcs whole wheat bread
    Protein shake

Totals (fitday.com):
    2346 calories
    220 gms protein
    184 gms carbs
    77 gms fat (not usually this high)

39% p/31% c/30% f

The fat was a little surprising, almost half of the daily total was the spaghetti
    Last edited by pig_killer; 11-24-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good start on your journal. I'll be interested to watch your progress after all of your different surgeries.

By the way, I lold at you saying, "broke the crap out of it". -Bo

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hey PK. Congrats on starting the journal. Good luck.
    David

11/26 Leg day

HS leg press
    1 plate per side x 25 warm up
    2 plates per side x 12 x 2
    3 plates per side x 8 x 2

Life fitness leg press (this one is a horizontal motion, not like the HS machine)
    180 x 10 x 2
    220 x 8 x 2
    240 x 6 x 2

Seated calf raises
    1 plate x 20 warm up
    1 1/2 plates x 15
    2 plates x 10
    2 1/2 plates x 8

Just to clarify, 1 plate = 45 lbs (duh), I call 25 pounds a half plate

30 minutes on the recumbent - 221 calories

Breakfast
    Can tuna
    2 hard boiled eggs
    Protein shake

Lunch
    1.5 cups white rice
    3 chicken thighs - skin on

Dinner
    1.5 cups rice
    2 medium sized boneless chicken breasts
    Protein shake

Totals (fitday.com)
    2414 calories
    246 gms protein
    193 gms carbs
    63 gms fat

41% p/32% c/27% f

Water intake was a little more than a gallon

Leg day is something I have not looked forward to in the past due to my knees. But nowadays, I'm trying to psyche myself up really good before I get in the gym.

I'm still going - and will probably continue to go medium/light on the leg presses until I get a better picture of how they're going to adjust to getting worked on a regular basis. Next leg day I'm going to work in some light squats.

All in all, everything felt pretty good today, and my diet was pretty clean.

Tomorrow will be chest/shoulders and some cardio in the morning - the gym closes around 2 or 3 tomorrow.

I prolly won't even bother to post the diet tomorrow for obvious reasons!

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving...

Steve
    Last edited by pig_killer; 11-25-2009 at 04:28 PM.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Macros look good. How do you see squats fitting in? I used to hate leg day, now it's my favorite.
    David

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Macros look good. How do you see squats fitting in? I used to hate leg day, now it's my favorite.
    Not exactly sure yet David, the jury is still out. I've done some light - 135 lbs, squats a total of 8 sets for I think 10-12 reps since I've been back. That was over two leg days. The first time I did them I was pain free the next day and I was like 'woohoo, daddy's got a new toy!' The next leg day - about 6 days or so later brought me back down to earth. I did them in addition to the leg presses I'm doing as well. I haven't had any problems doing the leg presses, so for the time being, those are going to be my mainstay for leg day. It's not ideal, but, I can do them without any trouble. I think my history of the torn PCL plays into this, because the pain I was having was in the area towards the back of my knee.

If I can't work squats into the workout, it's not the end of the world, but I know they're a mass builder so I'd like to work them in if possible.

Steve
    Last edited by pig_killer; 11-25-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Well there's more than one way to skin a cat. Some have built massive legs without squats. You've got to guard against injury or you won't be training at all.
    David

11/26 Chest/shoulders

Didn't sleep well last night, and was up really early so I was a little tired when I left for the gym. Anyways, here's what I did today:

Chest:
    HS incline press
    One plate per side x 20 warmup
    1 1/2 plates/side x 15
    2 plates/side x 10
    2 1/2 plates/side x 8 x 2 (both to failure)

HS decline press
    2 plates/side x 12
    2 1/2 plates/side x 10
    3 plates/side x 8 x2 (failure)

Shoulders:
    Life fitness lateral raises
    40x 20 warmup
    50 x 12
    60 x 10
    70 x 8
    80 x 6

Life fitness overhead shoulder press
    50 x 15 warmup
    60 x 10
    70 x 8 x 2

45 minutes on the recumbent - 334 calories

I struggled a little bit on the HS machines today. The reasons were (I think: not entirely motivated from lack of sleep, and, I had a scheduled weight increase on both the incline and decline. Weight increase was ~10%. Might have been a little much, but I figured I could get away with it. I don't plan on increasing for another 10 days or so.

The shoulder exercises are one that I always use the strictest form I can muster. It wouldn't take much to set me back due to instability of both shoulders - hence the "baby" weight. I have no other choice for now than baby weight, so I just gotta make SMALL increases every couple shoulder days

Todays eats:

**Note, the dinner calories are estimated. I'll do my best to stick to what I've planned - and I'll itemize the dinner foods. The acutal numbers for dinner are without a doubt going to be higher, I just don't know by how much.

Breakfast
    2 hard boiled eggs
    Can tuna
    Protein shake

Lunch
    1.5 cups rice
    Medium sized boneless chicken breast

Dinner:
    Turkey, white meat: 6 slices approx 3x2x1 = 471 cals, 17 gm fat, 0 carbs, 72 gms protein
    Mashed potato made w milk: 2.5 cups = 426 cals, 1.7 gms fat, 95 gms carbs, 10 gms protein (note: I dont put butter on anything)
    Turkey stuffing w vegetables: 2.5 cups = 806 calories, 39 gms fat, 61 gms carbs, 52 gms protein (holy crap!!)
    Turkey gravy canned: 2.5 cups = 303 calories, 13 gms fat, 30 gms carbs, 16 gms protein

Totals (fitday.com)
    3271 calories (2006 of which will be from dinner!!)
    98 gms fat
    283 gms carbs
    294 gms protein

27% f/34% c/35% p

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Steve
    Last edited by pig_killer; 11-26-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what does the HS mean in you incline press and decline press? I think with your shoulder issues, you are wise to be using the machines right now.

By the way, when are we going to see some progress pics? - Bo

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what does the HS mean in you incline press and decline press? I think with your shoulder issues, you are wise to be using the machines right now.

By the way, when are we going to see some progress pics? - Bo
    Hi Bo, HS is the Hammer Strength we have at the Powerhouse. I like them, they're easier on my joints. I promise to put up the 'before' pics this weekend.

I got the spreadsheet too bud, thanks,

Steve

11/27 Back

Close grip seated cable rows
    80 x 25 x 2 warmup
    120 x 15
    140 x 10
    160 x 6 x 2

Lat pull downs
    80 x 15 warmup
    100 x 10
    120 x 8
    140 x 6

Dumbell shrugs
    40 x 20 warmup
    50 x 15
    60 x 10
    70 x 8 x 2

Breakfast:
    2 cups cottage cheese
    Protein shake

Lunch
    1.5 cups rice
    3 slices leftover turkey (white meat)

Dinner:
    1.5 cups rice
    6 oz baked salmon
    1 cup leftover stufing
    Protein shake

Totals (fitday.com)
    2328 calories
    229 gms protein
    227 gms carbs
    47.5 gms fat

41% p/40% c/18% f

For the week the macros look like this:
    40% p/35% c/25% f

How does my protein to carb percentage look, should I adjust up or down?

A quick note, today doing the lat pull downs, I found myself swinging a little. Next back day I'm going to go a little lighter on my last 2 sets. I want to concentrate on the correct form, not get into a macho contest with myself.

Last nights dinner sat in my stomach like a brick, I was still full this morning when I got up and my normal can of tuna didn't sound too appetizing, so I went to walmart and picked up some cottage cheese - which I haven't eaten in probably 10 years. I liked it, and will probably work it into my diet. I forgot how much protein was in it!

Final thought: I've been on the Novedex XT for 4 days now. I haven't noticed any side effects or any strength gains - not that I expected any strength gains after 4 days, but I have been on the lookout for side effects.

Take care all,

Steve

TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000)
    PK, nice journal entries and you are putting up some nice looking workouts as well. Good luck on reaching all your goals.
    Question is: are you really going to mind if you hit your goals without puking 3 times a week?
    by Daniel Roberts

Originally Posted by TwoWalks View Post
    PK, nice journal entries and you are putting up some nice looking workouts as well. Good luck on reaching all your goals.
    Thanks TW, I just checked out your log. Seems your making progress as well.

Keep up the good work,

Steve

Originally Posted by pig_killer View Post
    For the week the macros look like this:
    40% p/35% c/25% f

How does my protein to carb percentage look, should I adjust up or down?
    Morning Steve,

To me, your macros breakdown looks pretty traditional for focusing on muscle building. I've used a breakdown with percentages nearly identical to that with good success.

I've only recently reversed my percentages with my carbs percentage higher than protein.- Bo

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Morning Steve,

To me, your macros breakdown looks pretty traditional for focusing on muscle building. I've used a breakdown with percentages nearly identical to that with good success.

I've only recently reversed my percentages with my carbs percentage higher than protein.- Bo
    Thanks Bo, If I keep them where they're at and keep the workouts at the same intensity and the same amount of cardio, what are the chances a few percentage points of fat come off while increasing muscle?

I don't expect a drop down to 10% or anything, but can I expect going from 18% to say 15%? Is that a realistic goal until I come off the Novedex XT?

Your opinion is appreciated,

Steve

Originally Posted by pig_killer View Post
    Thanks Bo, If I keep them where they're at and keep the workouts at the same intensity and the same amount of cardio, what are the chances a few percentage points of fat come off while increasing muscle?

I don't expect a drop down to 10% or anything, but can I expect going from 18% to say 15%? Is that a realistic goal until I come off the Novedex XT?

Your opinion is appreciated,

Steve
    Ah...you've posed the million dollar question.

Based upon what I saw when I worked at the gym, and what some of the folks have posted on the boards... yeah, I think it is possible IF all of the variables are there to do it. It seems to work best for folks who are in the earlier stages of their training.

Probably the most successful at this is guys who have trained before and are getting back into it. Muscle memory is a great thing.

I think where some people get themselves in trouble is when they really restrict their calories and do a bunch of cardio every day to try and lose fat quickly, and still have a goal of adding a lot of new muscle. I know I can't do it.

Of course, this is just my opinion based upon my own experiences with it.