Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

dumbell press vs bench press how much do you do

i decided to see how much i could dumbbell press and i could do 70 pound dumbells for 7 reps three sets... my max bench is close to the 200pound mark...

i was jsut wondering if anyone DB presses the same ammount as bench after swapping to DB presses i think it really hit my chest more than the bench does becuase the range of motion really targets the pecs

Oh noes teh gynos!! gupunkitar2004's Avatar
    gupunkitar2004 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gupunkitar2004 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gupunkitar2004 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gupunkitar2004 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gupunkitar2004 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gupunkitar2004 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gupunkitar2004 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gupunkitar2004 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gupunkitar2004 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gupunkitar2004 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gupunkitar2004 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I can max out on bench at 315 in terms of db press i usually do 100 to 110 for reps
    ~Stylin On U Crew~

Knowing is better than wondering, waking is better than sleeping, and even the biggest failure, even the worst, beats the hell out of never trying.

siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) siersy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    the reason for this thread is that i believe people do not use heavy enough db's for their presses because of a psychological barrier... also the first rep with a heavy weight seems a little sticky until you start lifting it up..

so just to encourage everyone next time you go do dumbell press try adding at least 10 pounds maybe 15 pounds ontop of what you normally do and really focus hard!!!

ImoveBoulders has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ImoveBoulders has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ImoveBoulders has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ImoveBoulders has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ImoveBoulders has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ImoveBoulders has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ImoveBoulders has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ImoveBoulders has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ImoveBoulders has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by siersy View Post
    the reason for this thread is that i believe people do not use heavy enough db's for their presses because of a psychological barrier... also the first rep with a heavy weight seems a little sticky until you start lifting it up..

so just to encourage everyone next time you go do dumbell press try adding at least 10 pounds maybe 15 pounds ontop of what you normally do and really focus hard!!!
    No. I think you lift less with dumbells because it uses more stabilizer muscles. Everyone article i've read on dumbells vs barbells seems simular. They all lift less with dumbells.

Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    That's a too large weight jump IMO. Especially for someone who works out alone.

bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    That's a too large weight jump IMO. Especially for someone who works out alone.
    How so?! its not like you're gonna drop them on yourself... Thats one of the great things about DB's.. You don't NEED spots.

Too heavy? Throw them to the side.
    glorify the Lord in all that you do =)

johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

What he said. vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    Originally Posted by ImoveBoulders View Post
    No. I think you lift less with dumbells because it uses more stabilizer muscles. Everyone article i've read on dumbells vs barbells seems simular. They all lift less with dumbells.

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bleeder View Post
    How so?! its not like you're gonna drop them on yourself... Thats one of the great things about DB's.. You don't NEED spots.

Too heavy? Throw them to the side.
    I know what I can lift and if I added 10-15 lbs I would not be able to get the weight up I dont care about "psychological barriers" or not. What you are recommending is going to hurt people.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, I agree with the male model.
    oh and gecko that link did not contain answers only the search page - swiftness_02

The foods that trigger ketosis are high in carbs, not sugars - michaeldude

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gecko2424 View Post
    Yeah, I agree with the male model.
    WTF is that 2nd quote in your sig about? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50) bleeder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Ballys Trainer View Post
    I know what I can lift and if I added 10-15 lbs I would not be able to get the weight up I dont care about "psychological barriers" or not. What you are recommending is going to hurt people.
    As far as i know.. thats how you get stronger. You're supposed to add weight right?!

seriously, people should know their limits, but most underestimate them, and that holds them back.
    glorify the Lord in all that you do =)

frvrmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) frvrmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) frvrmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) frvrmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) frvrmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) frvrmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) frvrmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) frvrmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) frvrmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) frvrmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) frvrmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i know this is o/t, but i can use almost the same weight on Db shoulder press as i can with a bb. i do the 65's for 5-6 reps, and max out with a barbell at 150
    CHECK OUT THE JOURNAL!!! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112624821

Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Ballys Trainer View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Even adding 1 kilogram (2.2 lbs) is often hard enough for me. You can't keep on adding weight like that, otherwise we would be benching 1000 lbs (or more) at some point.

Smaller, Stronger, Faster gjohnson5's Avatar
    gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    well I guess I'm about to get negged to.
    I generally work without a spot and I tend to go lighter then normal on dumbell presses specifically for psychological reasons.

I didn't find what he said out of the ordinary , because he's partly correct.

i decided to see how much i could dumbbell press and i could do 70 pound dumbells for 7 reps three sets... my max bench is close to the 200pound mark...

i was jsut wondering if anyone DB presses the same ammount as bench after swapping to DB presses i think it really hit my chest more than the bench does becuase the range of motion really targets the pecs

GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I currently do 5 reps with a pair of 75 pounders, then 2-3 reps with 80 pouders, then 5 more with the 75s. I don't know how much I can bench with a bar, because I use the DBs exclusively. (The only bars I even own are a tricep bar and an EZ curl.)

NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The reason most can;t go as heavy is because of weak triceps. On bench I do about 245 for 4-6 and with db's my heavy set is the 120's but only for a few before I need a spot. Also since the range of motion is greater so is the amount of work needed to move the weight.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

fightingmonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fightingmonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fightingmonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fightingmonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fightingmonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fightingmonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fightingmonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fightingmonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fightingmonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fightingmonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fightingmonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    generally the dumbbell press is around 70 to 78% of the barbell version due to stabilisor muscles being recruited during the dumbbell version.
    bridging the gap between ordinary and extraordinary

bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i'm with money mike. i can do about 245 for 6 or 7 reps and when it comes to the dumbbells i can do about 115's for the same amount of reps.
    "Always act as though it were impossible to fail." -Anonymous

Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i can press the 100ln dumbells over my chest, but my max for BB is only 225. Im thinking i have a major mental block for 2 plates because its been 225 for about a month now
    275lb atg front squat / 235lb paused bench (in comp) / 445lb Conventional Deadlift using mixed grip/chalk/belt (in comp) / Deadlift-425x3 using a hook grip + chalk / BP low-bar back squat 335x2 & 315x4 & 350x1 (in comp)

A tree with a thin trunk can only make branches so big -me

Won 1st place at my first powerlifting comp!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!1

bordrshane is on a distinguished road. (+10) bordrshane is on a distinguished road. (+10) bordrshane is on a distinguished road. (+10) bordrshane is on a distinguished road. (+10) bordrshane is on a distinguished road. (+10) bordrshane is on a distinguished road. (+10) bordrshane is on a distinguished road. (+10) bordrshane is on a distinguished road. (+10) bordrshane is on a distinguished road. (+10) bordrshane is on a distinguished road. (+10) bordrshane is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I love blowing my rotator cuff out with the 110's.

Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Wink

Originally Posted by bordrshane View Post
    shoulda done cuff work with them 5lb dumbbells
    275lb atg front squat / 235lb paused bench (in comp) / 445lb Conventional Deadlift using mixed grip/chalk/belt (in comp) / Deadlift-425x3 using a hook grip + chalk / BP low-bar back squat 335x2 & 315x4 & 350x1 (in comp)

A tree with a thin trunk can only make branches so big -me

Won 1st place at my first powerlifting comp!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!1

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    dumbells > bars
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

this thread was inspired by watching some youth squad nrl players working out at the gym... they were pumping out up to 7 reps of 82 kilos (small but very muscular guys proabably not much more than 155pounds/ 70kgs... and they were supersetting them with 35 pound db presses... in reality they could have and proabably should have been doing twice that weight however there seems to be a psycological barrier that most people have i used to when i went to the gym...

the fact of the matter is if you look at 95% o people at the gym they db press ALOT less than they could does anyone agree

cameron33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cameron33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cameron33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cameron33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cameron33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cameron33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cameron33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cameron33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cameron33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cameron33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cameron33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ouch dude...you gotta know your limits...and do some cuff work. im a pitcher so i do a lot of that...im sure you know better now huh

gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I agree. I've been doing barbells for 20+ years and I've had rotator cuff issues for 17 of them

Originally Posted by gjohnson5 View Post
    I agree. I've been doing barbells for 20+ years and I've had rotator cuff issues for 17 of them
    are you saying that dumbells or the bar puts more load on the rotator cuff?

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I hit a 523 bench at my last meet....and I have worked up to 250lb dumbells. I only squeeze about 2 reps out though.

You know I misread what he said. I thought he said he blew his rotator cuff and THEN got out the 110's
    I agree that dumbells are the way to go if you have rotator cuff issues

Dumbells be done closer to the body so there should be much less stress on the shoulders

are you saying that dumbells or the bar puts more load on the rotator cuff?

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by powerlifter70 View Post
    I hit a 523 bench at my last meet....and I have worked up to 250lb dumbells. I only squeeze about 2 reps out though.
    id love to see a dumbell that big would be dusty though
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    id love to see a dumbell that big would be dusty though

They are the old steel ones...looks like a stack of 10's a handle and a stack of 10's. They are always up under the rack...nobody likes to pick them up to put them away. They are a huge pain in the ass to get into position for lifting.