Registered Sex Offender Hairy Nipple's Avatar
    Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

weighted dips with no belt to hold the weights

the thread title explains what my problem is. im thinking of just holding a dumbbell between my legs to add resistance, yay or nay?
    wow strong misc section

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Hairy Nipple
    the thread title explains what my problem is. im thinking of just holding a dumbbell between my legs to add resistance, yay or nay?
    That's what I've been doing, and it works, but i still want to get a belt. I keep putting my weight dip belt money into my gas tank...
    Time To Re-Schedule

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Sure. Just to give you an idea of what's possible, I did them that way all the way up to 110 before buying a dip belt. It will take more concentration and effort so it's not the best way (using a belt is) and it can be awkward to get into position depending on the dip station you're using, but it gets the job done. I've done it a few times since when I've forgotten my dip belt.

Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hairy Nipple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah i figured it would be a bit awkward but it's my only option for now.
    wow strong misc section

benson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Put some weights into a ruck sack and then put the ruck sack on your back

bkorv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bkorv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bkorv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bkorv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bkorv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bkorv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you are using smaller weghts tie a dumbell to upside your feet using your shoelaces. Dont do this if you are using heavy weights as your feet will hurt and your shoelaces will snap.

Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i used to hold a DB in my foot. got up to 20kgs and started having trouble holding it so got a weight belt. fuk knows how Dominik held a 110lb DB in his foot lol

when i started using my belt, i had to lower the weight though.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Use two belts looped together, with a weight plate on one of them.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Lee_5
    i used to hold a DB in my foot. got up to 20kgs and started having trouble holding it so got a weight belt. fuk knows how Dominik held a 110lb DB in his foot lol

when i started using my belt, i had to lower the weight though.
    I'm not quite sure what the key is. Strong adductors I guess. There's no question it starts to become awkward farmers walking DBs over, standing on the platform pinch gripping a DB, positioning it between the ankles, dipping, and then reversing the process. Having a training partner helps.

The best option hands down is using a dip belt. A lot of guys will bitch about not being able to afford one yet they'll continue to spend their money on useless supplements. BB.com sell a decent one for around $25.

MAS2208 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MAS2208 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MAS2208 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MAS2208 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MAS2208 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MAS2208 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MAS2208 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MAS2208 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MAS2208 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MAS2208 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MAS2208 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I am responding to this assuming that you already have a quality belt to begin with. Now go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a quality carabiner clip ($6) and about 3.5-4' of rubber coated chain ($3). Clip one end of the chain to the carabiner and clip the carabiner to the bottom side of your belts metal closure. All you have to do is put the chain through some plates and attach the end to the chain carabiner and you have a homemade dip belt. Wear the belt a notch or two more loose than usual. I have had the same setup for the past 4 years and it only cost me about $9.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can't handle putting the DB between my feet. My legs just start swinging from not being able to control the weight. Even with a 25 pound DB I start struggling to be "comfortable." Just buy a dip belt, it's one of the best investments you can make. Weighted dips + weighted chins and pullups = 1 big dude

I also think that using a DB wastes a lot more effort and energy to keep it steady that you could use to do some serious lifting instead.
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BernieD
    I can't handle putting the DB between my feet. My legs just start swinging from not being able to control the weight. Even with a 25 pound DB I start struggling to be "comfortable." Just buy a dip belt, it's one of the best investments you can make. Weighted dips + weighted chins and pullups = 1 big dude

I also think that using a DB wastes a lot more effort and energy to keep it steady that you could use to do some serious lifting instead.
    I totally agree with all that. It does waste energy and concentration. I find I'm dividing my thoughts between maintaining proper form on dips and performing a bit of a circus act to hold a heavy DB between my ankles.

Dip belts aren't expensive either and I'm sure most guys blow that money on some fancy supplement they could do without for a month or two to pay for it. It's a great investment like you said.

Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BernieD
    Weighted dips + weighted chins and pullups = 1 big dude
    This is so true, I have gotten way stronger and put on a lot of muscle onto my small frame from hard lifting but especially weighted pullups and chinups and dips. I couldn't do one pullup or chin a year ago, now I can crank out twenty chins easily or ten reps with a ten pound weight hanging from a belt. Huge guys over 200 lbs. at my gym always ask me for advice even though I am only 140 lbs.. because they saw my body change a lot. Weighted underhand chins rule- they blew up my biceps and my arm veins are popping like mad now, which I like.

jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by benson
    Put some weights into a ruck sack and then put the ruck sack on your back
    yeah because ruck sacks are cheap.

dumbbells work fine.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ★cVc★ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ Roflcopter Crew ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ PC Master Race ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆ /\^/\^Misc Colorado Crew^/\^/\☆

Ladies Love Squat Butt Morbid_Mind's Avatar
    Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I just put a DB in between my thighs, cross my legs and squeeze tightly.
    My Goals:

For to make the heavy weights light and the baggy clothes tight.

3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    use db's. the only thing is if your legs are sore then damn, it's gonna suck for you.

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Buy A Dip Belt!!!
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

octal literal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

throw plates in your gym bag and sling it around your neck

gym staff might ask questions - "hey! why are you stuffing plates in your gym bag!"
    06-19 = 238lbs, 20.12%

Fat loss, Rippetoe journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=827822

matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    110lb in the legs? crazy... i have been using a 70lb DB which is freaking awkward and without someone to put it b/w legs whilst already in position i find it impossible to get it in a good spot - bought a belt yesterday tho so that will be handy
    "There's levels of retardation most people don't even know about"

- Matt's Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=84812603#post84812603

"Solid session after all that alcohol intoxication" - Kruczynski

Is loving box squats! Lean_and_Mean's Avatar
    Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Morbid_Mind
    I just put a DB in between my thighs, cross my legs and squeeze tightly.
    Yeah me too and it works great.
    6'1" 230 pounds of wannabee powerlifter

Check out my sweet journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1011911

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    A lot of guys will bitch about not being able to afford one yet they'll continue to spend their money on useless supplements.
    teh CELL-TECH is not useless!

dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    some dude in my gym went all hardcore and put a chain through a plate and hung it from his neck...kinda reminded me of flava flav
    *MusclePharm: Official Supplement of the UFC*

drew[at]musclepharm.com

RIP G.K. Miller 7/7/1963-2/13/2007

FEAR IS THE MINDKILLER

********.com/musclepharm

timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    just get a chain with a hook, it's not hard.

guess i should of said in the original thread i got fired recently and have exactly $0 to my name. until i find a new job, the dip belt or any other idea just isnt realistic. im only 20 and we're surviving off my girl friends wages alone right now. considering that we can barely afford any groceries after the bills have been paid, i think asking for money for a dip belt would make me just a bit of a kunt. haha.

soooo new question, i guess: are weighted dips even worth the effort if i have to balance a dumbbell between my legs? i was going to use them for a ME exercise where i work up to a 5 rep max on the westside for skinny bastards program, but now im thinking closegrip bench might be a better option for now? i just wanted to use dips because i have barely ever used them and figured the gains would be better than closegrips which i have done heaps of in the past.
    wow strong misc section