jgt8229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

questions on equitment

hi, i was plaining on upgrade my work out stuff this saturday. i was thinking about this http://www.impex-fitness.com/proddet...ber=EVE%2D1000
    at a store near me its on sale for 250. i was also wondering about the ones with the built in spotters, are they anygood? or are free weights better. because i am scared of geting it stuck on me sometimes lol it has happen a couples times to me. i was also thinking about this http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...nches+%26+Sets with the spotter thing, but its kinda more than i wanted to spend.what benches would you sudjest? i was also wondering to in there add it says 300lb oylimpic grip, i was wondering if its just the weights or if it comes with the bar to, its 130. well if you could sudjest some stuff it would be a big help.
    thanks and can you try and get back to me before saturday that would be great.
    and sorry for my spelling lol

Fears Chuck Norris JimmyChitwood's Avatar
    JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jgt8229
    hi, i was plaining on upgrade my work out stuff this saturday. i was thinking about this http://www.impex-fitness.com/proddet...ber=EVE%2D1000
    at a store near me its on sale for 250. i was also wondering about the ones with the built in spotters, are they anygood? or are free weights better. because i am scared of geting it stuck on me sometimes lol it has happen a couples times to me. i was also thinking about this http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...nches+%26+Sets with the spotter thing, but its kinda more than i wanted to spend.what benches would you sudjest? i was also wondering to in there add it says 300lb oylimpic grip, i was wondering if its just the weights or if it comes with the bar to, its 130. well if you could sudjest some stuff it would be a big help.
    thanks and can you try and get back to me before saturday that would be great.
    and sorry for my spelling lol
    That's a tough call. Sounds like money is an issue, so I won't even get into what I would really recommend to you.
    It's hard to say between the two, because I personally feel that it's best to have both free weight (like the first setup) AND the smith machine (like the second option). I think the smith machine is what you were referring to as "spotters". It's basically a barbell on sliders. It goes up and down on those guides, and can be racked at any position by rotating the bar, thus engaging the stop hooks. Because of the automatic control, the smith is great for one-legged squats, calf raises, vertical leg presses, etc, while the free weights are perfect for benching, squatting, rows, curls, deadlifts, etc.
    One thing to consider would be the quality of that Smith machine in the second option. What are the sliders made of? You want BEARINGS, not bushings. Bushings will drag more, and wear out faster. Bearings are much, much smoother. If that model has bushings, then I'd go for option number one for now instead. You don't want moving parts unless they're gonna be strong and smooth quality.

Option number one will probably give you a decent workout with lots of options for exercises. Especially if you're creative. If that Smith Machine is cheesy, then definitely go this route. It's got a low pulley, too. That's key, so you can do cable exercises on the floor too like seated rows, cable curls, overhead tricep presses, cable upright rows, etc, etc.

As far as a bench recommendation, it looks to me from those advertisements that the benches are included, as are the bench attachments so unless you have a need for another bench you can just use the one that comes with the set you choose. They both appear to be separate from the sets themselves, so you can move them out of the way for squats, ect or to use them alone for dumbbell exercises. You may choose to pick up a flat utility bench also, though, but it's not necessary.

That Olympic weight set you're talking about includes the bar. The bar weighs 45 pounds. The price that you quoted isn't the cheapest I've seen, though. Look around. Often times you can find those 300lb sets for about $99.

Other suggestions:
    Grab some personal gear like lifting gloves, wrist straps, and a weight belt. Depending on your knees, you may want knee wraps, too for leg day.
    I'd also pick up a free weight EZ curl bar, too. That's a real handy piece. And to give you extra options with those pulleys, make sure you've got a good selection of handles, like a close grip triangle, a D handle, and ropes. The press down bar and lat pull bar probably come with it.
    Other than that, I'd collect some dumbbells over time. They charge by the pound, so you may not be able to buy a ton at once. You can buy those 2.5 pound magnetic "Plate Mates", and then you'll only have to buy dumbbells in ever 10 lb increment (20's, 30's, 40's, etc.). Just stick the magnets on the ends to give you 25's, 35's, 45's, etc. That should save some bucks.

Yeah, now that I look at the options again, I'm leaning toward option number one. I doubt very much that the Smith machine is good quality for that price on option number two. Just be sure to set those spotter pegs/bars before you start to bench or squat, to be sure that they'll catch the weight if your strength gives out. You've gotta just play it smart if you're gonna train alone, OK?
    Good luck.
    ~Forgiven~

My Training Log and Record of Adventures:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=441433851

thanks for the reply, i think i am gona go with the first one. o and by bench i just ment if there where anyother sets you would recomend in that price range. i am proly gona pick up some bumbbells to if i have the money tomorow. and what is a ez curl bar? doesnt the first looks like you can use the leg things for curls or it has a attachement.

btw lol this is what i have ben lifting with to its kinda failing apart lol http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...Picture448.jpg
    it used to be my dads, i figure it was time to upgrade.
    and do you think 250 is a good price for the everlast bench, it onsale off 300 at the store
    Last edited by jgt8229; 03-17-2006 at 12:11 PM.

ChristoffH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristoffH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristoffH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristoffH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristoffH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristoffH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you decide on the XR38 here it is for $250 + 10% offwith $1 shipping

http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1444825

I'm considering it..

Originally Posted by ChristoffH
    If you decide on the XR38 here it is for $250 + 10% offwith $1 shipping

http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1444825

I'm considering it..
    hmm now i dont know what i want, the spotter thing would be nice but idk... what one would you guys buy