Je vais finir par l'avoir -=MD=-'s Avatar
    -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Are off days really necessary?

If you work totally different muscle groups (e.g. day 1 arms, day 2 chest & back, day 3 shoulders & lower body) are off days really necessary? And should they be alternate?

I'm working out everyday and taking Fridays and Sundays off. Any thoughts?

oligator01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oligator01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    5 days a week is fine, although your two off days are fairly close. Nothing wrong though with doing 3-4 days a week. In fact, at times such workouts can be more beneficial. And to answer your question, YES off days are absolutely, positively necessary (and I think everyone here will agree with that). Your muscles need to recover and besides, you don't grow in the gym.

dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    remember, its not just your muscles that need time to recover, but also you CNS...

Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

MD trust me, you have no clue

Originally Posted by -=MD=-
    If you work totally different muscle groups (e.g. day 1 arms, day 2 chest & back, day 3 shoulders & lower body) are off days really necessary? And should they be alternate?

I'm working out everyday and taking Fridays and Sundays off. Any thoughts?

let us help you

i can tell by your other thread, that your going to get nowhere

your 140 lbs and you wanna bulk up and try to cut at the same time

heres the truth

your not going to get that bulking for one, without getting strong first, you wanna do exercises and splits that are designed for people that already have built muscles

at 140 i doubt you look much bigger than "erkel"

stick with a basic compound barbell , full body workout program, and build some strength, and use some basic bodyweight movemnets to build those muscles when they get strong eough to do chi ups and push ups

you dont need to be cutting at 140, you have nothing to cut, your gonna be a pile of bones, and your not gonna get any muscles with that program you had listed especially if your gonna try to do extensive cardio to try to get ripped at the same time

the more muscles you build, the more calories you'll be buring 24 hours a day, that will get you ripped as long as you dont overeat and consume mounds of accumulated fat from overeating

trust me,

welcome to body building 101

grab a barbell and start lifting

dumbbells are for girls

About to feel the WRAATH™ jer @h2o's Avatar
    jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Intensity1974

dumbbells are for girls
    Not the heavy ones.

But the rest I will agree with.
    "I have killed two people since midnight. I haven't slept in over 24 hours. So maybe you should be a little more afraid of me than you are now".

-Jack Bauer (24)

CONTROLLED LABS - PURPLE WRAATH tester
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=747150

Lightning log.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=8704265#post8704265

-=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -=MD=- will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dbcb314
    remember, its not just your muscles that need time to recover, but also you CNS...
    What's CNS?

dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    central nervous system

let us help you

i can tell by your other thread, that your going to get nowhere

your 140 lbs and you wanna bulk up and try to cut at the same time

heres the truth

your not going to get that bulking for one, without getting strong first, you wanna do exercises and splits that are designed for people that already have built muscles

at 140 i doubt you look much bigger than "erkel"

stick with a basic compound barbell , full body workout program, and build some strength, and use some basic bodyweight movemnets to build those muscles when they get strong eough to do chi ups and push ups

you dont need to be cutting at 140, you have nothing to cut, your gonna be a pile of bones, and your not gonna get any muscles with that program you had listed especially if your gonna try to do extensive cardio to try to get ripped at the same time

the more muscles you build, the more calories you'll be buring 24 hours a day, that will get you ripped as long as you dont overeat and consume mounds of accumulated fat from overeating

trust me,

welcome to body building 101

grab a barbell and start lifting

dumbbells are for girls
    I'm 140, but I'm also 5'6, so I'm not just a abg of bones. I'm also quite lean (13-14 % BF). I've worked out for a few years now, but had to stop for a variety of reasons. I'm quite strong, I do chin ups and push ups quite often (like when I had to stop the gym for 6 months, that's how I kept some basic shape)... anyway, I'm past body building 101... but I appreciate you advice anyway!

I'd still like to think mass and definition are not mutually exclussive though.

Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dumbbells are for girls
    Okay...that statement doesn't make any sense...
    For girls or boys DB's allow you to work your stabilizers more and allow you do to do unilateral work so 1 side of your body doesn't get stronger then the other, etc...
    WORKOUT
    M: Full body workout
    T: Off
    W: Full body workout
    T: Off
    F: Off
    S: Full body workout
    S: OFF

Walk dog 1 hour a day.

DIET
    Protein and good fats, low carb

Goal: Loose fat and gain muscle!

Just do it!
    Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!
    You are what you eat!

Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intensity1974 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Helene
    Okay...that statement doesn't make any sense...
    For girls or boys DB's allow you to work your stabilizers more and allow you do to do unilateral work so 1 side of your body doesn't get stronger then the other, etc...
    sure it does

it literally means men should use barbells to get stronger
    and more muscular

where dumbbells are for isolation and usually toning and shaping excercises which most women prefer to get toned rather than bulky

i take it your a woman, dont take it personal, i didnt mean anything by it other than "barbells are better for building more muscle mass"

About to feel the WRAATH™ jer @h2o's Avatar
    jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I somewhat agree. Barbells will allow you to move more weight, so in that aspect I agree.

But, I also think both should be used.
    "I have killed two people since midnight. I haven't slept in over 24 hours. So maybe you should be a little more afraid of me than you are now".

-Jack Bauer (24)

CONTROLLED LABS - PURPLE WRAATH tester
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=747150

Lightning log.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=8704265#post8704265

bill 11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i've been doing something like this (note that i do crew and get a really good leg workout every day)

day 1

upper body (one workout per muscle group, 3-4 sets, failure)
    rest
    repeat

is this semi-retarded?

Originally Posted by bill 11
    i've been doing something like this (note that i do crew and get a really good leg workout every day)

day 1

upper body (one workout per muscle group, 3-4 sets, failure)
    rest
    repeat

is this semi-retarded?
    NOPE

LOOKS GOOD

fullbody is the future my man

go to t-nation.com and read everything you can on chad waterbury's articles

wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The pink 1s mayb but try throwin around 100+ lbs dumbbells.. def not for girls, most girls on the planet anyway ;-)

Originally Posted by wannab-BIG-
    The pink 1s mayb but try throwin around 100+ lbs dumbbells.. def not for girls, most girls on the planet anyway ;-)
    well those arnt the dumbbells i was refering too

the kid that wrote the thread weighs 140 lbs

i doubt he can even budge a 100lb dumbbell

im at 175, but its a very lean 175, i bench well over 300 and i know what it feels like to have 100 lb dumbbells in your hand, i used to do bench presses with em

thats a ballancing act if i ever done one

for a 140 lb guy that has not done any power lifting and is curling dumbbells
    he should probably grab a barbell, if you know what i mean ....wink

Welsh3243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welsh3243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welsh3243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welsh3243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welsh3243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welsh3243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welsh3243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well those arnt the dumbbells i was refering too

the kid that wrote the thread weighs 140 lbs

i doubt he can even budge a 100lb dumbbell

im at 175, but its a very lean 175, i bench well over 300 and i know what it feels like to have 100 lb dumbbells in your hand, i used to do bench presses with em

for a 140 lb guy that has not done any power lifting and is curling dumbbells
    he should probably grab a barbell, if you know what i mean ....wink

You're the coolest 31 year old I know!

Originally Posted by Welsh3243
    You're the coolest 31 year old I know!
    nope, just the youngest....i look 21, old man

[QUOTE=Welsh3243]You're the coolest 31 year old I know![/QUOTEyou having trouble making friends there mr 41 year old

i see you have a bad reputation, how many times have you been banned from this site

TOMMANH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TOMMANH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TOMMANH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TOMMANH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TOMMANH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TOMMANH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TOMMANH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TOMMANH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TOMMANH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TOMMANH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yes your muscle need rest just as you do!!!!

skinnyme is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyme is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyme is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyme is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyme is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyme is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyme is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyme is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyme is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyme is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyme is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    [QUOTE=Intensity1974]
    ... dumbbells in your hand, i used to do bench presses with em

I hear that. I love 'em. But I agree with the barbell for core exercises. You just can't do the weight with DB's. But that's all I have for now. If only March would get here...