Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I get powerblocks OR regular dumbells ?

I'm sitting on the fence with regards to whether I should get plate-welded dumbells OR Hex dumbells OR a power block (from 2.5 - 90 lbs)

I hear Hex dumbells aren't so comfortables when you reach the heavy weights.

Obviously, a powerblock saves one lots of storing space, but are there any major inconvenience to working out with them ? I'd also save a good deal of money going with powerblocks.

That being said, that wouldn't save me THAT much should it be a pain to work out with, or if the powerblock rod-selected system broke after some time.

Let mek know what you think guys...

Cheers and thanks a lot in advance.

FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10)

greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Powerblock

chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I guess I'll look for it some more--don't have much time today...so that's why I posted, but that's ok, I'll go and look for it some more later on.

Halos2thorns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Halos2thorns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Halos2thorns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Halos2thorns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Halos2thorns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Halos2thorns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Halos2thorns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Halos2thorns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Halos2thorns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Halos2thorns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Halos2thorns will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd say powerblock, I haven't used one but for what you get with a powerblock it would be so much more with regular dumbbells
    In chess, nobody is an expert, but everybody plays. In boxing everybody is an expert, but nobody fights

kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Definitely powerblocks. Unless you have a huge workout room and don't mind a couple racks of dumbbells.

Originally Posted by kingeric View Post
    Definitely powerblocks. Unless you have a huge workout room and don't mind a couple racks of dumbbells.
    I've been reading on here for a few minutes, and there seems to be a leaning towards Ironmasters' over Powerblocks.

So far as I can see you cannot do pullovers using the Powerblocks, yet changing weight is faster with the powerblocks.

Ironmaster appears and I'm pretty sure is sturdier than powerblocks, just from the look of it.

But I've not given them a try and do not know of anyone around me who has either.

swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i like regular dumbells if you have room for them

Originally Posted by swa513 View Post
    i like regular dumbells if you have room for them
    Now that you mention these, I'm being offered a whole set of professional dumbells (fixed plates type) from 5 to 115 lbs in 5 lb increments for $1100, which is a very good price.

It off course takes up space, but is tempting me quite a bit.

I'm not sure Powerblocks will last a lifetime, even though I may not keep them for as long as I intend to now--having said that, initially, lifetime is what I shoot for when it comes to weight lifting gear.

lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you do get power blocks. MAKE SURE you buy the STAND. I just bought the power blocks. big mistake. Now some are crooked, and i have to wedge a flat screw driver to get two that stick together apart.

However they are still worth it.

jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have ironmaster quicklock dumbbells which are not as quick as powerblocks, but I can change both in about 30 sec. and they feel like fixed dumbbells like in the gym. They also go to 75lbs each and there is an add on kit to go to 120lbs each. I have been really happy with them. Just something else to think about.

http://www.ironmaster.com/store/Quic...Rack-pr-2.html

Demo videos
    http://www.ironmaster.com/dumbells.htm
    http://www.ironmaster.com/drop_dumbells.htm

kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50) kingeric will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by chipdouglas View Post
    I've been reading on here for a few minutes, and there seems to be a leaning towards Ironmasters' over Powerblocks.

So far as I can see you cannot do pullovers using the Powerblocks, yet changing weight is faster with the powerblocks.

Ironmaster appears and I'm pretty sure is sturdier than powerblocks, just from the look of it.

But I've not given them a try and do not know of anyone around me who has either.
    I've never used the Ironmaster's, but I strongly agree with the guy who recommended the stand. Do this regardless of which ones you get, or you will quickly regret it.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Now that you mention these, I'm being offered a whole set of professional dumbells (fixed plates type) from 5 to 115 lbs in 5 lb increments for $1100, which is a very good price.

I'm not sure Powerblocks will last a lifetime, even though I may not keep them for as long as I intend to now--having said that, initially, lifetime is what I shoot for when it comes to weight lifting gear.

Nice!!!! I'm also a fan of traditional dumbbells. If you can afford it go for it. After having to ditch my weights while doing Laterals last night I'm an even bigger fan of getting what is the most durable.

C. Griswald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C. Griswald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C. Griswald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C. Griswald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C. Griswald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C. Griswald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C. Griswald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C. Griswald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C. Griswald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C. Griswald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C. Griswald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i have up to 90lb hex dumbells, wouldnt have it any other way. my fiance uses the sportblock. it works well for her. just preferance

Getting Bigger Each Day. FaceThePain's Avatar
    FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000)
    I prefer to buy 16" dumbell handles, and slap a ****load of 10's on em, adding or taking off whenever I need.
    Less than 11% bodyfat, and STILL no overly shown abs.
    **** genetics lol.

Originally Posted by FaceThePain View Post
    I prefer to buy 16" dumbell handles, and slap a ****load of 10's on em, adding or taking off whenever I need.
    It's obviously the expensive way to go, but it also does the trick fine too.

elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why are dumbell handles and 20 x 10lb weight plates expensive ?

There was a sale on plates here the other week, 60 cents a pound. $120 for plates, $20 for dumbells and you are set ? What am I missing ?

alexb854 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexb854 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexb854 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexb854 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexb854 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexb854 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexb854 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexb854 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexb854 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexb854 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexb854 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by FNULNU View Post
    lol
    JFM - Jacked Fibra Mafia

Owe Reps to:

5x10

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by elmerfud View Post

There was a sale on plates here the other week, 60 cents a pound. $120 for plates, $20 for dumbells and you are set ? What am I missing ?
    I was wondering the same thing. plates are .39 a pound on craigslist here.

Muscles by D.O.T. Brother Steel's Avatar
    Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I will tell you I am a big PowerBlock fan and own the PowerBlock Pro 130 set but if I could get a deal on a whole set of professional dumbbells (fixed plates type) I would not hesitate to get them. $1100 dollars is a steal for them. Even if you have to purchase a good stand (most likely two stands), it would still be worth the cost.

The reason I got my PowerBlocks was weight versus cost. I forget how many sets of dumbbells the 130 set replaces but it is a bunch. Another advantage is the PowerBlocks only take up a small amount of space. A full rack of professional dumbbells while very nice does take up a lot of room. You can even take the PowerBlocks with you on a trip. That would be hard to do with a room full of pro dumbbells.

Even so with all the advantages of PowerBlocks if you have the money and room I say go for the Professional dumbbells!
    Here's what is happening in my neck of the woods....

Paving the way so the rubber can hit the road!

Repping back since 06!
    Reps owed:

Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Q: "What am I missing?"
    A: The boat!

On professional dumbbells, you do not remove the plates. They are fixed on the handles. It takes a bunch handles and a small truckload of plates to make up a full gym type setup.

Here is an example: http://ivanko.com/products/prd_text/REP125_popup.html

I checked Dumbbellbuddy.com and the cheapest price for a full set of professional dumbbells were the CAP Grey Pro Style Commercial Dumbbells with Black End Caps & Chrome Contour Handles 2100lbs, 20 pairs, 5 to 100lb $3,345.00

Notice the amount of weight: 2100 lbs!

Repping back since 06!
    Reps owed:

jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jay415 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Brother Steel that was a sarcastic response to the following.

Originally Posted by FaceThePain
    It's obviously the expensive way to go, but it also does the trick fine too..

pumpingjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pumpingjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pumpingjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pumpingjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pumpingjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pumpingjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pumpingjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pumpingjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pumpingjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pumpingjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pumpingjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've had powerblocks for about 6 years and they are awesome. No probs. If you drop your weight for some reason, they aren't for you.

tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To the OP -

Simply get IronMaster QL DBs. Both DBs can be changed within 30 secs. They're terrific for the price.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 01-17-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Joelia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joelia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joelia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joelia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joelia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joelia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joelia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joelia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joelia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joelia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joelia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the IM's, but if you have room, go for the full set of fixed. I've been happy with the IM's, though.

Getting Bigger Each Day. FaceThePain's Avatar
    FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's obviously the expensive way to go, but it also does the trick fine too.
    Buy the handles online, and then hit craigslist, and garage sales for 10lb'ers.
    Cheap as ****. These lil college asians around here buy those walmart 40lb dumbell sets, with 4 10lbers, thinkin they'll get hyoooge, and sell the **** a week later for next to nothin.
    Less than 11% bodyfat, and STILL no overly shown abs.
    **** genetics lol.

Originally Posted by jay415 View Post
    Brother Steel that was a sarcastic response to the following.
    Well hell, I guess I missed the boat! After looking at the post again, I guess the confusion was in that Chip said the word "expensive". Doing it the way FaceThePain stated would be the "inexpensive" way to go.

I thought Mr. Fud was confused about equipment. (He has stated he is a newbie) Guess he was not. Sure seems like I am the one confused and looking like an ass. In the thread, Chip was talking about Pro dumbbells so I was just explaining the difference and cost.... Abet without a lot of tact... My Bad!

I bet they are serving pheasant under glass on that boat.... And here I am stuck high and dry.... eating crow!
    Last edited by Brother Steel; 01-17-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Repping back since 06!
    Reps owed:

Geez, I've just come to the realization that I mistyped *expensive* whereas I meant to type out *inexpensive*

LOL

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    add me to the list of very satisfied Ironmaster users.

$1100 for a full set of DBs is pretty flippin' impressive though, if you have the space

of course, how much for shipping?

need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if you go with a spinlock DB handle and some 10 lbs plates, which will be half the price, if not a 1/3 the price of ironmaster or powerblocks, search around and go with a 16 or 18" handle, if you can press more than 95 lbs on any given lift (standard is 14").

and if you go this route, Id actually suggest you think about 12.5 lbs plates, I found some in CA, had them shipped to the east coast for less (including shipping) than what I would pay to go to wally world and buy 10's and that was to my door, figure in the gas to get to wally world and I saved even more. That extra 2.5 adds up nicely too and the plate isnt much thicker than a 10.

not trying to talk you out of the IM or powerblocks, just suggesting if you choose the spinlock, might wanna think about those two things.

keep an eye on craigslist and ebay, ive seen IM and PB's go cheap on there, many times.
    Last edited by need2eat; 01-18-2008 at 05:39 AM.
    "People are bastard covered bastards, with bastard fillings"