Thread: Squat critique

zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Squat critique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXg4GfmuXMw

I know that I could have done a better job with the video, but it was the best I could do at the time - I hope to get another up within the next week.

Any pointers on my squat? Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. Fyi - it's more of a powersquat than an olympic squat, so the bar is a bit lower on my back than normal.

Thanks!
    ***I rep back (400+)***

REPS 4 LIFE: All the homies on the Yankees thread, NDame616

Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Looks pretty good. Hard to tell from the angle, but flare your feet a little if you nee more stability; you may not.
    Random Guy, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist
    -Although I offer advice and information, I am not diagnosing or treating anyone
    with anything.

zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500) zcsmith is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
    Looks pretty good. Hard to tell from the angle, but flare your feet a little if you nee more stability; you may not.
    I appreciate the quick feedback!

I want to work on dropping down just a bit lower eventually, but at the same time I don't believe that you're supposed to go as low on a power squat as you are on an olympic squat - not sure though.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
    ***I rep back (400+)***

JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by zcsmith View Post
    I appreciate the quick feedback!

I want to work on dropping down just a bit lower eventually, but at the same time I don't believe that you're supposed to go as low on a power squat as you are on an olympic squat - not sure though.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
    You are right, you will not be going as low in wide, power squat like you are doing. I have no idea what your goals are, and I think for a gym lift your depth is fine, but if you are trying to imitate a powerlifting squat, your hips must be lower than your knees... So in that regard its high.

Also, there is nothing wrong with some forward lean in a wide squat, but you are actually leaning forward farther and farther as you drop down. It probably feels like your range of motion is much more than it is... the bar is moving much more than your lower body actually is. Again, there is nothing wrong with a forward lean but you are good morning the weight down.

Originally Posted by JBElite View Post
    You are right, you will not be going as low in wide, power squat like you are doing. I have no idea what your goals are, and I think for a gym lift your depth is fine, but if you are trying to imitate a powerlifting squat, your hips must be lower than your knees... So in that regard its high.

Also, there is nothing wrong with some forward lean in a wide squat, but you are actually leaning forward farther and farther as you drop down. It probably feels like your range of motion is much more than it is... the bar is moving much more than your lower body actually is. Again, there is nothing wrong with a forward lean but you are good morning the weight down.
    "It probably feels like your range of motion is much more than it is"

YES YES - that's what prompted me to take a video. When I saw it, I was surprised because it felt like I was going lower than what it showed.

What do you recommend? Is Good Morning the weight down necessarily a bad thing? It feels like I almost HAVE to lean forward to support the bar since it's lower on my back.
    ***I rep back (400+)***

serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good power squat. Keep working on your hip flexibility and try to get a little lower.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by serratus View Post
    Good power squat. Keep working on your hip flexibility and try to get a little lower.

Good luck.
    Thank you for the post!

Anyone else?
    ***I rep back (400+)***

bump
    ***I rep back (400+)***

iedereen wil een stukje eatsleephate's Avatar
    eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Tell that guy behind you to actually shrug his shoulders up when doing DB Shrugs.

And, about your squat, doing partial Good Mornings to bring the weight down isn't the best idea. It'll keep you from going heavy, since you'll more than likely fall over. Even with the bar lower on your back, work on sitting down to get the depth, not leaning forward. Otherwise, good squat.

Originally Posted by eatsleephate View Post
    Tell that guy behind you to actually shrug his shoulders up when doing DB Shrugs.

And, about your squat, doing partial Good Mornings to bring the weight down isn't the best idea. It'll keep you from going heavy, since you'll more than likely fall over. Even with the bar lower on your back, work on sitting down to get the depth, not leaning forward. Otherwise, good squat.

Agree with the first point There are a LOT of people in that gym who don't have clue one as to what they are doing.

Thanks for the advise - I think that what I will try to do is place the bar HIGHER on my back so I don't start the exercise with a lean (like if I do when I place the bar lower in order to support it). This may be part of the problem.
    ***I rep back (400+)***

Natertotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natertotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natertotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natertotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natertotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natertotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natertotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natertotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natertotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natertotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Natertotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    And why aren't you wearing shoes?

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not deep enough.

Originally Posted by Natertotts View Post
    And why aren't you wearing shoes?
    I can add another 10 pounds (or more) to the bar when I don't wear shoes. The cushioning of a shoe is going to absorb some of your power when you power out of the hole. By taking off my shoes, I eliminate that cushion, so it's basically hard surface (the floor) against hard surface (my stupid flat feet).
    ***I rep back (400+)***

Originally Posted by UtahRocks View Post
    Not deep enough.
    Thanks
    ***I rep back (400+)***

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    go just a little deeper, its seems like your back is moving forward just a bit before your are descending down but its nothing to be worried about. Good squat except for not going down far enough and work on trying to sit back a little more so your glutes and hams will be bearing most of the load.

JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by zcsmith View Post
    I can add another 10 pounds (or more) to the bar when I don't wear shoes. The cushioning of a shoe is going to absorb some of your power when you power out of the hole. By taking off my shoes, I eliminate that cushion, so it's basically hard surface (the floor) against hard surface (my stupid flat feet).
    I take my shoes off sometimes when squatting or deadlifting if I'm not wearing the right kind. Flat soled shoes with ankle support are best. I have a nice pair of basketball shoes that I try to wear on lower days.

About your squat and good morning the weight down. That is definitely something you want to address. I would work on your hip flexibility. That was a big problem I had as well. If you are going to have a forward lean on your squat, you want that angle to stay relatively constant throughout the lift. Increasing that lean is just extra motion and wasted energy. Work on your hip flexibility as much as you can.

Low box squats (below parallel) will help you alot. They will force you to sit back more and remain upright, as well as strengthen and loosen your hips.