swiftfingers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to kill yourself with a smith machine

Well, I had an interesting workout today.

My workout partner and I were doing calf-raises on the smith. My workout partner likes to set it up so there's a wooden board sitting on two plastic aerobic stair step raisers. As in, not the actual stair stepper thing, but the two little plastic extensions that raise it higher off the ground. He likes using the board that way because he can hang his heals all the way off. I like using the actual stair stepper becuase it's much more stable. Well, today I decided out of laziness that I'd use his little set up... Big mistake.

So, he sets it up, we load up the huge amount of weight required for calf-raises, and I step under the bar. I do a few reps when I start to feel the board slipping a little. Before I could do anything the board flew out from underneath my feet. My ass goes to the ground with a ton of weight on my shoulders sending my face into the floor between my legs with a big crash. Luckily, the weights hit the floor before the bar crushed my skull. I was able to walk away with only bit of a bloody nose. Well, that and looking like a complete dip****, but that's only a small price to pay... Funny thing is before we were gong to do the calf-raises a made the comment, "Hmm, maybe we should try seated calf-raises today."

Lessons learned:
    1) Don't assume someone hasn't lowered the catch pins all the way to the ground, or that your workout partner will set them up for you.
    2) If you get a bad feeling about the safety of a certain method, don't assume you'll get by with it just because someone else has. Chances are you're gut instinct is right.
    3) Even stupid, easy exercises like calf-raises can be extremely dangerous.

Well, chalk it up to experience, but I feel really stupid right now. I don't really blame my partner, because I had to be stupid enough to make some really obvious mistakes in judgement.

If I can wiggle my nose around without discomfort, it's probably not broken right?

-swiftfingers

Norcalrallyist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Norcalrallyist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Norcalrallyist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Norcalrallyist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Norcalrallyist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Norcalrallyist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Norcalrallyist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Norcalrallyist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Norcalrallyist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Norcalrallyist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Norcalrallyist is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    HAHA Wow I can picture that. You guys dont have a standing calf raise machine?
    Thanks,
    Norcalrallyist

ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    some gyms can't afford to get a specialized piece of equipment like a standing calf raise machine when you can do it just as well with a smith machine, and the right step up.

out of the 4 gyms i have been a member of or worked out in only one, my high school weight room, had a standing or seated calf raise. you make do with what you have.

This was at the local YMCA, the only place with a gym in town. Small free weight section, tons and tons of treadmills.

-swiftfingers

B.Grimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

Why not use the leg press for a similar exercise for calves?
    "...Psssst... It's clobberin' time." -- The Thing

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    glad you're not dead right now
    Booo

acumenjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acumenjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acumenjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acumenjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acumenjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acumenjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That sucks man. Must have been embarassing. Luckily we have a few different machines for calves at the gym I go to. The biggest problem is getting the wannabe's off their cell phone, off the machine, and out of your way. At least your ok..
    "You have to do what others won't to achieve what others don't." - Unknown

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    not good at all....

danielport has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Safety should always be a priority.
    Its always funny when someone is too cool to use clips and the weight slides right off the bar, then the other side heavier and that weight falls off.
    Laziness can catch up with you.

Thanks for the heads-up. I will remember to set up the lock outs if i do a similar exercise on the smith.

Bond has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bond has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bond has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bond has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bond has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bond has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bond has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bond has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bond has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bond has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bond has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    LOLLL

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.... heh sorry to say that but I'm laughing like an idiot here... Anyways, u could have easily killed yourself with such wheight going right on your neck dude... good thing the wheight hit the floor first...
    "You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow... or it can crash... Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." - Bruce Lee

DavidnKS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    lol....always lock the safety catches to be safe!

Originally posted by amusclehead
    glad you're not dead right now
    So am I.

-swiftfingers

lucubration has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

wish you had a picture of that