ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000)

Need help with sumo form to continue past 700

Hi all,

This may be a bit of a lengthy post so I thank you in advance for bearing with me here. A couple months ago I hit a 675 sumo DL. However, I have realized that my form is not really conducive to going beyond that, as the top deadlifters in the world do not pull like I do. Here are some videos, and I'll explain what I feel like is going on. Preface: I use straps 99% of the time because I don't compete. Also, as far as wearing pants, I just dress that way for fun (though I realize ideally shorts would be better-I'm not taking myself too seriously in the gym).

Video 1: This one has my warmups from 315 all the way up to 640. You will see that I'm very fast off the ground, but the consequence is getting into a very bad lockout position. This, I think, is the bane of my sumo.

Video 2: 675. I am aware it's awful and hitched, but is probably the best demonstration of the issues I have with the lift.

Video 3: 585x7, my best rep set.

Video 4: Up to 605 with a hook grip

So, overall analysis from my standpoint: I rely on getting as much possible speed off the ground to get it as high as possible (hopefully past my knees) and then to muscle it up because my position gets so bad. I've been trying a new setup where I'm focusing on really building tension in my posterior chain and then squeezing it back, which makes it look a little better, but makes me lose most of my speed off the ground. With my conventionals (max is I think 605) the rip off the floor works better, but I'm just better suited for sumo.

I'm open to any and all suggestions as I'm trying to rework my form in the hopes that such efforts will get me into the 700s. Thanks so much!
    Eternal Gym Rat, Student Physical Therapist. None of my post content should be taken as medical advice. Ask your doctor/PT.

Best Gym Lifts: 585/390/675 440 FS 265 OHP @203 No longer competing

I lift weights for fun

Registered User NotNiceUserName's Avatar
    NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Buy "tight men's running shorts" idk how it's called, that helped me a lot with the lockout. I thought about this:
    (can't post links) media.startfitness.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/800x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/adidas-adizero-climacool-sprint-web-short-tights-s02941.jpg
    Chest up.
    Try a powerlifting belt.

ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NotNiceUserName View Post
    Buy "tight men's running shorts" idk how it's called, that helped me a lot with the lockout. I thought about this:
    (can't post links) media.startfitness.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/800x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/adidas-adizero-climacool-sprint-web-short-tights-s02941.jpg
    Chest up.
    Try a powerlifting belt.
    Thanks. I'm so used to pulling from that slightly flexed position that chest up doesn't feel fully natural. As far as belts, I just don't use them anymore. When I was bulking I outgrew my belt and just never bothered to get another. Plus I feel like they really throw me off especially on DL. I may be willing to try it again at some point, though.
    Eternal Gym Rat, Student Physical Therapist. None of my post content should be taken as medical advice. Ask your doctor/PT.

I lift weights for fun

Registered User NotNiceUserName's Avatar
    NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotNiceUserName will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's easier to move the weight from the ground with a rounded upper back, but harder to lockout.
    ---
    And if you want to compete sometime pull back your shoulders, because thats the finishing position.
    Last edited by NotNiceUserName; 04-08-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Originally Posted by NotNiceUserName View Post
    It's easier to move the weight from the ground with a rounded upper back, but harder to lockout.
    ---
    And if you want to compete sometime pull back your shoulders, because thats the finishing position.
    Thanks. I know I tend to not fully lock my shoulders out on higher rep sets, but I think with singles I do. Or at least, I'm not sure how I would get them back any further.

I lift weights for fun

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hard to tell from the video but is your grip with straps more narrow than your hook grip?
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    Hard to tell from the video but is your grip with straps more narrow than your hook grip?
    Maybe by like an inch or so. If I were to use hook grip with the same width as my straps placement, I'd have very little contact with the knurling.

I lift weights for fun

EsRAW will become famous soon enough. (+50) EsRAW will become famous soon enough. (+50) EsRAW will become famous soon enough. (+50) EsRAW will become famous soon enough. (+50) EsRAW will become famous soon enough. (+50) EsRAW will become famous soon enough. (+50) EsRAW will become famous soon enough. (+50) EsRAW will become famous soon enough. (+50) EsRAW will become famous soon enough. (+50) EsRAW will become famous soon enough. (+50) EsRAW will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Brah real **** now, you look like you'll do better pulling conventional?

Most good sumo pullers are weak of the floor and extremely strong on lockout.
    But you seem the exact opposite.

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ChecksandGiggles View Post
    Maybe by like an inch or so. If I were to use hook grip with the same width as my straps placement, I'd have very little contact with the knurling.
    I think that's part of the issue. I know it's much less weight, but your hook grip pull is much more technical. With straps you round over more and have no patience when the bar slows down so you just hitch the weight up.

Originally Posted by EsRAW View Post

That's because he jerks the bar off the ground and rounds his back. Anyone can do that with sumo and be fast off the floor.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

Originally Posted by EsRAW View Post

Ehh, it's an option I've explored. I do want to train my conventional a bit more than I currently do and use some similar cues as to what I'm using to fix my sumo. Namely, build tension in the posterior chain, chest up, lever it up.

Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    I think that's part of the issue. I know it's much less weight, but your hook grip pull is much more technical. With straps you round over more and have no patience when the bar slows down so you just hitch the weight up.

That's because he jerks the bar off the ground and rounds his back. Anyone can do that with sumo and be fast off the floor.
    I noticed that. I might try widening my grip a tad with the straps also. I'm also not entirely sure how to not round my back. Yesterday I was doing form work and really focusing on keeping my back straight and loading my hips and glutes and keeping the bar as close as possible. Everything up to and including 545 felt really good, but 585 felt like it took forever to get off the ground and finish. It was not a pleasant lift. Still, I think it might have looked better, so that's promising.

I lift weights for fun