MrJimpix is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Healthier lifestyle

Hey guys,

So after a number of years of being fat, I have decided enough is enough. Since Christmas, I have shifted my diet away from the tonnes of crap I was eating before, towards more lean meat, vegetables, and fruit, with the occasional treat (small amount of dark chocolate, a few drinks one night a week).

I just wanted to get some general advice and pointers.

So, some quick details:

Gender: Male | Age: 25 | Height: 6ft | Weight: ~320lbs | Waist: 46" (down from 48 in January) | Chest: 46" (wearing XL instead of XXL in January). At a guess, I think my body fat would be in the 35-45% region (although I don't really know, just judging by the pictures on another thread).

As a researcher and teacher (University), I have a mostly sedentary job, as one can imagine. I have started to incorporate movement into my day through walking to or from work (I live a mile away; walk involves a steep hill) and a longer walk on Sundays (roughly 6 miles through hilly, woodlands).

Ideally, I would like to get down to about ~200lbs (which is what I weighed when I was 16 and was quite happy with my figure - had a waist measurement of 34", wore medium-to-large tops). I had a toned but not overly muscular physique, which I was content with.

I have had a little look around the site and both the 'Beginner Powerbuilding' and 'Fierce 5' routines look simple enough to start off with, so any advice on which of these would be best would be most welcome. Since starting in January, my only exercise has been the incorporation of walking, but I want to introduce some weight lifting into this to help tone up and shape my body a bit. Added strength would also be welcome (I feel relatively weak compared to my younger self; quite sad really).

In terms of diet, I don't want to be spending all my time counting calories, measuring out proteins and fats, etc. I really do not have time for that nor the motivation to keep it up (at least not yet). For the most part, I ensure that my main meals are a portion of lean meat, and plenty of fresh vegetables. Lunch is usually something leafy supplemented by fish or lean chicken, while breakfast normally consists of either a small omelette or small bowl of cereal. I still drink fizzy drinks (non-sugar), although I have cut this down to one bottle of tonic water or Pepsi a week (instead of several bottles of Pepsi) with the intention of phasing that out altogether (I don't like giving things up straight away; historically, this has never worked out for me).

The bottom line is that given my busy work schedule (even while at home, after hours, I am still doing work/research) I need something simple that I can stick to.

Any constructive advice or experience you could share would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You've got the right idea.

I wouldn't dismiss calorie counting out of hand, it's far easier than you think, and brings some structure to your diet. If you're an analytical person you should appreciate that it's far easier to control something once it's properly quantified.

Fierce 5 is a great start. Keep walking.

mikelomba78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    HI Mr Jimpix. I'm 6foot even and weighed 262lbs last March. I am now 183 as of this morning and it really is easier than we make it out to be. I power walked starting at a mile or two until I was able to do 4 or 5 at a very brisk pace, I would do this about 5 days a week. All I did was power walk and count my calorie intake using my fitness pal all the way until October 2016. In the month of October is when I dusted off my resistance cable machine and incorporated 3 days of compound exercises into my plan to preserve some mass. Just watch how much you eat and exercise a little and you will do fine.

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    You've got the right idea.

I wouldn't dismiss calorie counting out of hand, it's far easier than you think, and brings some structure to your diet. If you're an analytical person you should appreciate that it's far easier to control something once it's properly quantified.

Fierce 5 is a great start. Keep walking.
    I completely understand your point Dmacdonal9. I suspect that I will introduce calorie counting when I have established the healthier eating and exercise routine, and begin to notice a slowing down of weight loss. By then, hopefully the healthy eating and exercise should be second nature, so it doesn't add an additional 'stress' if you follow.

Originally Posted by mikelomba78 View Post
    HI Mr Jimpix. I'm 6foot even and weighed 262lbs last March. I am now 183 as of this morning and it really is easier than we make it out to be. I power walked starting at a mile or two until I was able to do 4 or 5 at a very brisk pace, I would do this about 5 days a week. All I did was power walk and count my calorie intake using my fitness pal all the way until October 2016. In the month of October is when I dusted off my resistance cable machine and incorporated 3 days of compound exercises into my plan to preserve some mass. Just watch how much you eat and exercise a little and you will do fine.
    Nice. You've made some great progress! What's your ultimate goal (if you don't mind sharing)?

I am quite lucky in that there are some really nice places to walk around here (all within a few miles, so walking distance).

mikelomba78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MrJimpix View Post
    Nice. You've made some great progress! What's your ultimate goal (if you don't mind sharing)?

I am quite lucky in that there are some really nice places to walk around here (all within a few miles, so walking distance).
    Well our goals usually change, I probably met 10 goals so far. I am now aiming for the 170ish mark, just waiting for some more stubborn belly fat to come off. Discipline is the most important thing, I still drink liquor on some weekends and even indulge in some less healthy food choices at times but I understand it's a life change and I keep going.
    Last edited by mikelomba78; 03-30-2017 at 05:13 AM.

Originally Posted by mikelomba78 View Post
    Well our goals usually change, I probably met 10 goals so far. I am now aiming for the 170ish mark, just waiting for some more stubborn belly fat to come off. Discipline is the most important thing, I still drink liquor on some weekends and even indulge in some less healthy food choices at times but I understand it's a life change and I keep going.
    Good for you mate, and good luck with the goal!

I always subscribed to the notion that a life without "sin" is not much of a life at all XD That might explain my size - but you have to make time for a drink here or a social dinner with friends, etc.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Mr. Jimpix, congrats on making the decision to change yourself. As noted, make some small achievable goals. Do so many workouts in the first month. No more than X drinks in a month.

Starting out, eat less and move more. Eventually you'll likely see enough progress to get a little more strict with what you do.

Good luck!