Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Another Trap-bar deadlift thread, how much do they typically weigh?

Last night I was doing deadlifts with the Trap-Bar once again. I am thinking the bar is like 35lbs or so so I used that number to factor in my total weight. A gym member who is a really nice guy, walked up to me in mid-set and was edging me on,,,,up up up while I was on my last set.

When I was done he said, nice deadlifting, great form I love using the trap bar for deads. I said to him, yeah feels great, lot easier than traditional deads, as you start higher and also no worrying about scrapping your shins. Then I said, also the bar is much lighter so there is that.

He then said, no the bar is actually heavier, that bar is 50lbs as oppose to the standard BB which is 45lbs. I said no way, so we took the bar upstairs and weighed it in and low and behold it was 55lbs, (our scale is off by 2lbs or so). I could not believe it.

So does anyone here know, what the standard weight on a typical Trap Bar is? Is 50lbs about right for the standard?
    On the list for Bannukah

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The one in my Amazon cart claims to be 51 lbs. will weigh it once I get it.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No clue. The one I use at the powerlifting gym is 75lb. The one I used at my old gym was 50. I just use plate weight to track progression.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, they vary. I own a really cheap (aka crappy) one that is supposed to weigh 80+ lbs. Never weighed it, but it's definitely up there. That's a particularly heavy one though, every other trap bar I've encountered has weighed less.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    The one in my Amazon cart claims to be 51 lbs. will weigh it once I get it.
    Hmm seems to be consistent.

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    No clue. The one I use at the powerlifting gym is 75lb. The one I used at my old gym was 50. I just use plate weight to track progression.
    Yeah I can't just use plates, I am way too old school. I just look at a standard BB and know how much weight is on it, unless some idiot throws in nicks and dimes then I have to count

But yeah you know, basic sh!t, 1plate 135lbs, 2 plates 225lbs, 3 plates 315lbs, 4 plates 405lbs etc etc etc. So now that I am starting to use the Trap bar I need to know what the hell that damn bar weighs
    On the list for Bannukah

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    Hmm seems to be consistent.

Yeah I can't just use plates, I am way too old school. I just look at a standard BB and know how much weight is on it, unless some idiot throws in nicks and dimes then I have to count

But yeah you know, basic sh!t, 1plate 135lbs, 2 plates 225lbs, 3 plates 315lbs, 4 plates 405lbs etc etc etc. So now that I am starting to use the Trap bar I need to know what the hell that damn bar weighs
    I get it. I guess for me I use so many different bars I just gave up trying to remember what is what. I only track my main big three lifts and their variants ( sumo deadlift, high bar squats ect) I can use 50 different bars at my gym and unless they had the weight on them Id fuk it up trying to remember :P

Since you know the weight of the bar you're all good.

Popular trap bar http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-tb-1-trap-bar-2-0

Weighs 58lbs That math would suck
    ☻/
    /▌

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Weigh it.

Mine at home is 80lbs, the one at the gym is 60 IIRC. I need to know the weight too....Not sure why...The thing is they are not built to a spec like a barbell, so they are going to vary. I thin it is also the same with other specialty bars like swiss bars etc too...

I get it. I guess for me I use so many different bars I just gave up trying to remember what is what. I only track my main big three lifts and their variants ( sumo deadlift, high bar squats ect) I can use 50 different bars at my gym and unless they had the weight on them Id fuk it up trying to remember :P

Since you know the weight of the bar you're all good.
    Yup now I will use the 50lbs to the bar for my total numbers, but I was just wondering if 50lbs was the norm for the Trap Bar, seems like they vary by a lot. I mean 50 - 80lbs is a big difference in a bar.

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Weigh it.

Mine at home is 80lbs, the one at the gym is 60 IIRC. I need to know the weight too....Not sure why...The thing is they are not built to a spec like a barbell, so they are going to vary. I thin it is also the same with other specialty bars like swiss bars etc too...
    I did weigh it, I was just curios if 50lbs was the standard on them.
    On the list for Bannukah

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yup now I will use the 50lbs to the bar for my total numbers, but I was just wondering if 50lbs was the norm for the Trap Bar, seems like they vary by a lot. I mean 50 - 80lbs is a big difference in a bar.
    they do vary. The one I have at home I ordered specfiically becuase it had much longer sleeves so I can put more bumper plates on it. They also vary in size of the "diamond" then added weight if it has both upper and lower handles etc. Unless you get one that is made with precision, from what I have heard the same make/model can vary by 5lbs or more. They are fun though. With my low handles on mine at home I start the lift about where my sticking point is on squats. If it wasn't so hot and humid in my garage I might consider using it sometime Will be on it again in the fall when training at home. Nice accesory lift...

☻/
    /▌

they do vary. The one I have at home I ordered specfiically becuase it had much longer sleeves so I can put more bumper plates on it. They also vary in size of the "diamond" then added weight if it has both upper and lower handles etc. Unless you get one that is made with precision, from what I have heard the same make/model can vary by 5lbs or more. They are fun though. With my low handles on mine at home I start the lift about where my sticking point is on squats. If it wasn't so hot and humid in my garage I might consider using it sometime Will be on it again in the fall when training at home. Nice accesory lift...
    LOL you don't use it?

Wow thanks for that, big difference in bars. We only have one at our gym so I am good..
    On the list for Bannukah

LOL you don't use it?
    I use it, and have used the one at the gym. I have not been training at home much lately though due to the heat and I have more time at the gym with half of my commute done. Recently though I went back to RDLs on my second leg day.

Trap bar 395x6 home

Trap bar 370x8 gym

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    As stated they vary a lot. Mine is 75 lbs (approx) if you're always using the same bar as long as you always count it as the same weight (or just add up the plate weight) you're all good as far as progressions go.
    Was friends with Methuselah

I use it, and have used the one at the gym. I have not been training at home much lately though due to the heat and I have more time at the gym with half of my commute done. Recently though I went back to RDLs on my second leg day.

Trap bar 395x6 home

Trap bar 370x8 gym
    Are those 45lbs plates? Are you only counting the plates or are you adding the bar? Cause 4 plates on a trap bar weighing 45lbs is 405lbs, your numbers seem low.
    On the list for Bannukah

heatwave13 is just really nice. (+1000) heatwave13 is just really nice. (+1000) heatwave13 is just really nice. (+1000) heatwave13 is just really nice. (+1000) heatwave13 is just really nice. (+1000) heatwave13 is just really nice. (+1000) heatwave13 is just really nice. (+1000) heatwave13 is just really nice. (+1000) heatwave13 is just really nice. (+1000) heatwave13 is just really nice. (+1000) heatwave13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Last night I was doing deadlifts with the Trap-Bar once again. I am thinking the bar is like 35lbs or so so I used that number to factor in my total weight. A gym member who is a really nice guy, walked up to me in mid-set and was edging me on,,,,up up up while I was on my last set.

When I was done he said, nice deadlifting, great form I love using the trap bar for deads. I said to him, yeah feels great, lot easier than traditional deads, as you start higher and also no worrying about scrapping your shins. Then I said, also the bar is much lighter so there is that.

He then said, no the bar is actually heavier, that bar is 50lbs as oppose to the standard BB which is 45lbs. I said no way, so we took the bar upstairs and weighed it in and low and behold it was 55lbs, (our scale is off by 2lbs or so). I could not believe it.

So does anyone here know, what the standard weight on a typical Trap Bar is? Is 50lbs about right for the standard?
    I love the trap bar deadlift !! My bar at home is right at 53 lbs. on my scale.

On a related note, I periodically will go for long periods of time where the trap bar DL is my main "go-to" heavy lower body movement. I've gone months without traditional squatting and instead used the trap bar DL, then much later on down the road, returned to squats and discovered that I had not lost anything on the weight I could squat. It truly is a total body blaster for me and very beneficial for my often sore left knee.
    RAW PRs--no suit, no belt, no wraps, no spotters

Squat- 1075 lbs
    Deadlift- 1250 lbs
    Bench- 795 lbs
    Power Clean- 665 lbs.
    Barbell Curl-405 lbs.

225 Bench Press for reps-56 reps
    40 yard dash-4.13 seconds (electronic official time)
    vertical leap-55 inches

Are those 45lbs plates? Are you only counting the plates or are you adding the bar? Cause 4 plates on a trap bar weighing 45lbs is 405lbs, your numbers seem low.
    No the one at home is with bumpers, so 3 45s and whatever else was on there I have 10s, 15s, 25s etc that are the same diameter. I weighed both bars then added the actual plate weights so the numbers are accurate.

doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The one i use to deadlift weighs 35kilo.

So multiply by 2.2.

Brings a smile in the gym when i put a 2.5kilo each side to start so the bar weighs a nice round 40kilo.

Sometimes i will strap up and rep it a few times grunting.

Then do the same with an incy wincy bit more weight on.
    Ride it like you just stole it.

No the one at home is with bumpers, so 3 45s and whatever else was on there I have 10s, 15s, 25s etc that are the same diameter. I weighed both bars then added the actual plate weights so the numbers are accurate.
    So if I am understanding you correctly all your weights regardless of poundage are the same size?
    On the list for Bannukah

doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So if I am understanding you correctly all your weights regardless of poundage are the same size?
    Bumper plates can be the same width and size but weigh different.

Usually colour coded.

Bumper plates: Making weak men look stronger since the beginning of time.
    Ride it like you just stole it.

Originally Posted by doughnutgut View Post

Usually colour coded.

LOL OK got it!
    On the list for Bannukah

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by doughnutgut View Post

Usually colour coded.

Which reminds me.... I need to order some bumper plates.... lol
    Was friends with Methuselah

Registered User Thunderchild001's Avatar
    Thunderchild001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mine is 85 lbs. Got it from New York Barbells a few years ago.
    Always ascend!!!

Yea, the bumper plates are the same diameter but not the same thickness. I have regular iron plates too that I usually use for everything but DLs (unless I wnat to look strong ). The bumpers are pain to load/move around because there is nothing to grab . But they are quieter and easier on my garage floor. Anything over 400lbs or so I can feel the vibration in my entire garage floor (likely 5-6" slab of concrete), so using bumpers helps keep me from breaking my concrete since I have no platform just mats. The other vid at the gym were regular iron plates, but they have the rubber coating. You need to get out to more gyms that have all these fancy things

Yea, the bumper plates are the same diameter but not the same thickness. I have regular iron plates too that I usually use for everything but DLs (unless I wnat to look strong ). The bumpers are pain to load/move around because there is nothing to grab . But they are quieter and easier on my garage floor. Anything over 400lbs or so I can feel the vibration in my entire garage floor (likely 5-6" slab of concrete), so using bumpers helps keep me from breaking my concrete since I have no platform just mats. The other vid at the gym were regular iron plates, but they have the rubber coating. You need to get out to more gyms that have all these fancy things
    LOL my brothers gym has the girlie colorful plates. He has a video of me doing some deads with them.
    On the list for Bannukah

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Mine weighs 155 (non-rack able).

I actually find deadlifts with the trap bar HARDER than regular deads. I mean, I can use more weight...but the form is much better, so I feel it much more from using the muscles (especially the thighs) instead of sloppy form with more leverage (and lower back).

I wish I would have sprung the extra $100 for the rack able bar, because it's awesome for military press, but a bich to load and change plates on the rack.

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Mine weighs 155 (non-rack able).

I actually find deadlifts with the trap bar HARDER than regular deads. I mean, I can use more weight...but the form is much better, so I feel it much more from using the muscles (especially the thighs) instead of sloppy form with more leverage (and lower back).

I wish I would have sprung the extra $100 for the rack able bar, because it's awesome for military press, but a bich to load and change plates on the rack.
    Your Trap Bar alone weighs 155lbs?
    On the list for Bannukah

Your Trap Bar alone weighs 155lbs?
    WTF

How much are you pressing Grub that you need to add plates to a 155 lb bar?

Guessing typo 55lb bar?

You could get some of those cheapy independent squat stands and make it rack-able. I use car jack stands to load mine on the floor sometimes. Awkward fuggin thing it is...and I'm lazy

WTF
    No wonder he finds it harder than traditional deads, he is killing his strength just moving that bar around!
    On the list for Bannukah

No wonder he finds it harder than traditional deads, he is killing his strength just moving that bar around!
    Honestly on low rep heavy work I can pull more traditional than with a trap bar (I always use the low handles). It shouldn't be that way, because the leverages/body mechanics should be better with a trap bar, I'm guessing just the thousands of more reps traditional vs trap bar....

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Whoops, ha ha typo...I meant 55 pounds