Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Blowing some dust off the controls...back in the saddle

As some know, my username is derived from an aviation term. Induced drag is the portion of drag that is a result of producing "lift". I thought it was funny for a lifting site...so that is what I came up with.

Well, for various reasons, I have not flown in over 7 years. I still hold a commercial and instructor rating in helicopters and at one time had 3 ships (that is a whole different story all together). The economy put a dent in my flying for sometime and until recently it was not even really on my radar.

Anyway, I am dusting off and getting back at it. Had a cool day the other day. Flew 3.1. It was like I never left off. Really crazy how things work out sometimes. It was like I never left off. Hope to someday soon share it with my kids who are now old enough to enjoy it!

RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You look really happy..bet your kids will love going flying with their dad

jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Super cool, man. Closest I can come to flying is a ridiculously fast motorcycle.

I thought you walked away from it because of your accident. Glad to see you haven't lost interest!

BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks like fun.

In b4 this thread turns into a pi$sing match between the OP and the 150 lb cutting aesthetic lifters

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    Well, for various reasons, I have not flown in over 7 years. I still hold a commercial and instructor rating in helicopters and at one time had 3 ships (that is a whole different story all together). Anyway, I am dusting off and getting back at it. Had a cool day the other day. Flew 3.1. It was like I never left off. Really crazy how things work out sometimes. It was like I never left off. Hope to someday soon share it with my kids who are now old enough to enjoy it!
    Very cool.
    That Candy Apple Red is surrrrre purrty.

In spite of the less than safe arena during my riding in choppers days I really dug the rides themselves.
    I've racked up some miles in them (Pleistocene era UH34's and CH46's) along with some....oh....interesting experiences in/with them.

Glad to see you're getting back to it....really looks like fun stuff.
    Maybe you can do some "GoPro" movies and post here.

Good luck....buckle up....carry on.
    Last edited by Wayne Evans; 05-10-2016 at 03:41 PM.
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BankWalker View Post
    Looks like fun.

In b4 this thread turns into a pi$sing match between the OP and the 150 lb cutting aesthetic lifters
    Nah, while it was fun going back and forth with ID at times, I can only give him props. He brings 100% to everything. (even sh#t throwing). Guys like you BankWalker are a dime a dozen and bore me to shiat really.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Glad you're back at it, ID. The last one I flew in looked something like this...

Of course, I wasn't behind the controls. I was one of the knuckleheads sitting beside the door.
    Last edited by Bo_Flecks; 05-10-2016 at 04:48 PM. Reason: better pic

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Very cool. Wish I could do something like that. Been in a thousand airplanes (passenger, of course)...and my hairiest flights were in an ultralight that a crazy neighbor owned...but I've never flown in a helo. Good for you!
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jdtemple View Post
    Super cool, man. Closest I can come to flying is a ridiculously fast motorcycle.

I thought you walked away from it because of your accident. Glad to see you haven't lost interest!
    The accident was one of the reasons, but the primary reason was the change in the economy. At one time, it was an easy justification. I even started an aviation business as an offshoot. But not having my own ship, or bringing in the income, it is hard to justify flying when it is costing close to $600/hour.

Looks like fun.

Flying is one of the few times I am jealous of the 150lb guys (srs). 50lbs is a lot of payload. Flying at max gross, it is often a trade-off of fuel or payload. 50lbs is significant!

Originally Posted by Xscoot View Post
    Nah, while it was fun going back and forth with ID at times, I can only give him props. He brings 100% to everything. (even sh#t throwing). Guys like you BankWalker are a dime a dozen and bore me to shiat really.
    I am not sure how to take that. For now, I'll just take it at face value.

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Glad you're back at it, ID. The last one I flew in looked something like this...

I had the privilege of owning one of those. Not the current MH6 but the previous version oh-6 (Hughes 500...think Magnum PI) which transferred into civilian use after military service. The ship I owned had quite the history. It flew 1200 hours in Vietnam. It was part of the 5th cav hunter killer teams. "War Wagons". It sustained heavy battle damage twice. Once from small arms fire, and later, was hit with an RPG. It was shipped back to the states and fully rebuilt and returned to finish it's service. It was so cool to read through the old log books and own a piece of that history.

After it got out of Vietnam, it went on to become a National Guard ship. It served with the guard until 94 and then went into private hands. A stint in Ireland and it came back to the states. I bought it from an operator in Miami not fully knowing it's military history. In the process of researching it, I learned a good deal about it. In honor of it's service, I had a badge made up that I put on the nose of the ship.

You can see the red and white War Wagon badge on the nose right by the wire cutter frame.

RAW lifts

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That's a nice looking helo, ID. Good luck with it. I once wanted to fly gliders but haven't gotten around to it, yet. I think you are from NY right? They have a place upstate here that I used to go to as a kid (near Elmira). Not sure if you ever got s chance to fly those as well. Really easy and nothing comparable to what you are doing but fun none the less.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Xscoot View Post
    Actually wasn't referring to you. .. but if the shoe fits

Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Actually wasn't referring to you. .. but if the shoe fits
    Was just messin with ya! ID and AC have cooled off and are sorta ok for now. This place is going to get dull.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That's f'cking awesome ID! Must be mad fun!
    On the list for Bannukah

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    That's f'cking awesome ID! Must be mad fun!
    Remember the story about driving the car home with the winged doors still up? That's the closest you'll ever come to flying
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looks cool. So tell me ID...do you feel like turbulence in those things like a plane or do they not fly high enough? I've always had a hard time when the plane feels like it drops 100ft in the snap of a finger. I swear the insides of my stomach are coming out of my body... I'd never make it as an astronaut that's for sure Heck I can't even tolerate a good roller coaster...
    Too big to rig...

Originally Posted by Fishman15 View Post
    Looks cool. So tell me ID...do you feel like turbulence in those things like a plane or do they not fly high enough? I've always had a hard time when the plane feels like it drops 100ft in the snap of a finger. I swear the insides of my stomach are coming out of my body... I'd never make it as an astronaut that's for sure Heck I can't even tolerate a good roller coaster...
    Not the best vid and it'll probably freak you out, but....most people have no idea what the tolerance is on even the heaviest of aircraft. IOW, when you feel turbulence (severe) an aircraft like a 757/767/777 will have its wings fluctuate up/down so many feet...that you'll realize that they're truly modern marvels:

Again, not the best clip, but if I recall correctly, some planes wings have a total travel path of up to 26 freaking feet! (up/down stroke).

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    Remember the story about driving the car home with the winged doors still up? That's the closest you'll ever come to flying
    LOL you are absolutely 100% correct. While that looks like fun, flying a helicopter or a plane is not something I would want to do myself, I don't think I have the nerve for it. I will just sit back and enjoy the ride while someone else maneuvers it
    On the list for Bannukah

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    That's a nice looking helo, ID. Good luck with it. I once wanted to fly gliders but haven't gotten around to it, yet. I think you are from NY right? They have a place upstate here that I used to go to as a kid (near Elmira). Not sure if you ever got s chance to fly those as well. Really easy and nothing comparable to what you are doing but fun none the less.
    Gliders would be a lot of fun. I have never got to try it....but I think it would be something awesome.

I have only flown up north one time by Syr. I had a wedding I went to last minute so I jumped in my ship and flew there. Was fun to see where I grew up from the air. Very different experience. I was used to seeing it from a skateboard. Up in the air offers a different perspective!

Originally Posted by Fishman15 View Post
    Turbulence is MUCH less in a helo. The higher the wing loading the less you are impacted. There is also a good amount of flex and give in a rotor system. In 2 bladed ships, you tend to sway a little. In 3 or more bladed you buffet but remain vertical. (This is because of the inherient differences between 2 and 3or more bladed ships. 2 blade flap as a unit. 3 or more flap individually at a flapping hinge which creates a moment on the mast. (except for a Bolkow 105) Think Red bull helicopter. 4 bladed ship with a rigid head machined out of one solid chunk of titanium! That is what allows it to go negative g and invert.

Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    Not the best vid and it'll probably freak you out, .
    If you think that is bad....this is a vid of what happens to a blade ON EVERY rotation! This is the flapping due to the changes in relative airspeed the blade experiences as it rotates. Bet the Sikorsky pilots did not want to fly after seeing this!

RAW lifts

Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good to hear your are back flying. As a fellow pilot (fixed wing here) I can't imagine not flying for several years. I am sure it feels great to be back at it.