2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Sales Tips - Consult Walkthrough, Being Present, & Looking the Part

Thanks for stopping in! I posted this video in my PT Success thread in this forum, but wanted more active trainers and coaches to listen to this as well. The information and advice in this video is spoken from experience and can lead to increased sales under your belt.

Listen up as I talk about being present, take you through the consult process with a potential client, and discuss the importance of looking the part.

Thank you for watching,

Ryan

trainingwithryan.substack.com

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    Thanks for stopping in! I posted this video in my PT Success thread in this forum, but wanted more active trainers and coaches to listen to this as well. The information and advice in this video is spoken from experience and can lead to increased sales under your belt.

Listen up as I talk about being present, take you through the consult process with a potential client, and discuss the importance of looking the part.

Thank you for watching,

Ryan

Perhaps a bit unfair, perhaps not......but I only made it to minute mark 9. I just find it cringeworthy.

I have no idea why personal trainers put themselves into big chain gyms and use "tactics" to essentially solicit and persuade individuals into personal training. The obesity/overweight rate sits at approximately 67%, there are TONS of people in the world seeking professional help for weight loss/fitness. You don't have to follow new members around in a big chain gym like a puppy and rush off to get them bottles of water in the hopes they'll reward you with a scooby snack (personal training package).

This isn't personal training. This is being a salesman. I always recommend personal trainers find a private gym where the owner pays you to actually train individuals. If you're going to go into a chain gym to try to solicit clients (without getting paid), you might as well go full blown independent and start your own business.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RamsdenF View Post
    Perhaps a bit unfair, perhaps not......but I only made it to minute mark 9. I just find it cringeworthy.

I have no idea why personal trainers put themselves into big chain gyms and use "tactics" to essentially solicit and persuade individuals into personal training.
    This video isn't about tricking potential clients into becoming clients. This video is about spreading worthwhile knowledge to trainers who want to help people, but have trouble actually obtaining clients in order to do so. Without the skills to obtain clients, nobody can deliver their services and actually help people.

The obesity/overweight rate sits at approximately 67%, there are TONS of people in the world seeking professional help for weight loss/fitness. You don't have to follow new members around in a big chain gym like a puppy and rush off to get them bottles of water in the hopes they'll reward you with a scooby snack (personal training package).
    Nobody said anything about doing anything like that. If you paid attention, I mentioned it's good business practice to offer a water to your potential client when they show up for their consult with you. It's also much appreciated by existing clients if they're offered a free water at the beginning of each session. There is no point in my advice that I recommend offering waters to anyone other than existing clients or the people you're actually sitting down with for a consult. When you comment on and criticize information, make sure you listen to that information and comprehend it first.

This isn't personal training. This is being a salesman.
    Sales skills are required in order to obtain clients. An excellent trainer is one who has excellent training skills and also has the ability to actually convey their knowledge to potential clients so they can actually sell that potential client a package. Again, you can't train non-existing clients.

I always recommend personal trainers find a private gym where the owner pays you to actually train individuals. If you're going to go into a chain gym to try to solicit clients (without getting paid), you might as well go full blown independent and start your own business.
    Chain gyms, as in franchise gyms, are typically owned by one or two people (husband and wife typically). I have never worked for a gym that paid me to be there if I wasn't training a client and I've worked for franchise gyms. I'm also a trainer that has his own private studio, so I understand the ins and outs of both situations very well.
    While I appreciate your time in commenting, I think you were in too much of an 'attack mode' with your comments. If you listen again, you'll find tips that help struggling trainers obtain clients so they can actually do what they love, which is to train. If you work in a gym that just hands you clients, that is great. Unfortunately, that isn't the norm, so sales skills are important.

Ryan

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    While I appreciate your time in commenting, I think you were in too much of an 'attack mode' with your comments. If you listen again, you'll find tips that help struggling trainers obtain clients so they can actually do what they love, which is to train. If you work in a gym that just hands you clients, that is great. Unfortunately, that isn't the norm, so sales skills are important.

Ryan
    Well look....criticism is good. It leads to debate and discussion which will potentially allow all participants involved and those watching to grow and learn something new. So being "defensive" about your content is expected. But if you are going to dismiss my entire response because you felt I was "attacking" or you didn't think I "paid attention".....we won't be able to have a productive conversation. I think this is what we both want, so I'll try again. Your responses will allow me to get a little more specific which is good.
    This video isn't about tricking potential clients into becoming clients. This video is about spreading worthwhile knowledge to trainers who want to help people, but have trouble actually obtaining clients in order to do so. Without the skills to obtain clients, nobody can deliver their services and actually help people.
    This is semantics plain and simple. Either way you look at it.....you have an individual (the client) who is not coming to you for personal training. You (the trainer) are going out of your way to solicit and persuade individuals into a personal training package. Why? Well....because you need to earn a paycheck. I know you may be a good trainer and legit want to help people, but at the end of the day you are working your a$$ off to scrape and fight for client sign-ups. This is not productive and is more so the fault of the facility than yours. Would you agree that a personal trainer should not be spending time trying to obtain clients? Is it not more productive to use their time to actually train individuals or to learn new techniques and nutrition?
    Sales skills are required in order to obtain clients. An excellent trainer is one who has excellent training skills and also has the ability to actually convey their knowledge to potential clients so they can actually sell that potential client a package. Again, you can't train non-existing clients.
    I disagree with your notion that excellent personal trainers are judged by their ability to sell training packages. In fact, it is quite a hinderance.

Trainer A has to solicit clients on their own and thus must dedicate 50% time to learning fitness techniques/research but also 50% time to selling, personal skills, closing, etc

Trainer B does not have to solicit clientele and can simply focus on training his/her clientele. They can dedicate 100% of their time to becoming a better personal trainer and do not have to learn to be a salesman.

Who has the potential, all things equal, to become the more "excellent personal trainer" ?

You background coming from a chain gym reflects your view point. Which is fine....but ask yourself is where I came from optimal?
    Chain gyms, as in franchise gyms, are typically owned by one or two people (husband and wife typically). I have never worked for a gym that paid me to be there if I wasn't training a client and I've worked for franchise gyms. I'm also a trainer that has his own private studio, so I understand the ins and outs of both situations very well.
    Describe them how you want....but most chain gyms (franchise) are owned by individuals seeking the financial/business reward. They are typically not fitness professionals. Just my experience, so more on the anecdotal side than factual research. But since your brought it up and mentioned you have been on both sides.....why are you not recommending individuals follow the better career path? Why are you perpetuating this idea that personal trainers must go into big chain gyms and fight/scrape for scraps?

Looking forward to your answers.

This is semantics plain and simple. Either way you look at it.....you have an individual (the client) who is not coming to you for personal training.
    Yes, they are coming for personal training. It's a personal training consult, which they've previously committed to. It's not a gym orientation. I'm not sure why you think they're not coming for personal training or to learn about personal training.

You (the trainer) are going out of your way to solicit and persuade individuals into a personal training package. Why? Well....because you need to earn a paycheck.
    No, it's because it's a personal training consult, which is where the trainer talks about training and it's benefits for the potential client.

I know you may be a good trainer and legit want to help people, but at the end of the day you are working your a$$ off to scrape and fight for client sign-ups.
    I think you and I have a different definition of 'working your ass off.' Being present in order to talk to new members during their signup process is not working your ass off. And I'm not promoting cold approaching or walking the gym floor in this video, period.

This is not productive and is more so the fault of the facility than yours. Would you agree that a personal trainer should not be spending time trying to obtain clients?
    It sounds like you're a person that believes clients should just be handed to you as a trainer. Would that be correct? It sounds like you don't understand that trainers have to put in work upfront, with no pay, to build a client base. While you don't seem to understand this, it's how things work.

Is it not more productive to use their time to actually train individuals or to learn new techniques and nutrition?
    Training clients is a great way to spend their time, but they have to obtain them first. Training clients in the gym falls under my 'be present' tip. There is a time for earning new clients, there is a time for training clients, and there is a time for furthering your education. If you take away any of those three duties, you're not going to succeed.

I disagree with your notion that excellent personal trainers are judged by their ability to sell training packages. In fact, it is quite a hinderance.
    I didn't say they are judged by their sales abilities. I said in order for a trainer to be successful, they need to understand how to and be able to obtain clients. Again, it really sounds like you are the type of trainer who expects clients to be handed to them.

Trainer A has to solicit clients on their own and thus must dedicate 50% time to learning fitness techniques/research but also 50% time to selling, personal skills, closing, etc

Trainer B does not have to solicit clientele and can simply focus on training his/her clientele. They can dedicate 100% of their time to becoming a better personal trainer and do not have to learn to be a salesman.

Who has the potential, all things equal, to become the more "excellent personal trainer"?
    Trainer A, as they actually have clients to train because they have the skills to obtain them. Again, clients are not handed out like candy to a baby. If you are not prepared and able to put in the work to obtain clients on your own, you'll always be reliant on someone else and never be able to determine your own success and well-being.

You background coming from a chain gym reflects your view point. Which is fine....but ask yourself is where I came from optimal?
    I run my own private studio and my own online coaching business. It seems you did not take that into account here.

Describe them how you want....but most chain gyms (franchise) are owned by individuals seeking the financial/business reward. They are typically not fitness professionals.
    Exactly, so they won't be able to convey training and nutrition knowledge like you would during a consult. Again, a good trainer knows how to convey their knowledge during a consult, leading to a sale so they can actually train that client.

Just my experience, so more on the anecdotal side than factual research. But since your brought it up and mentioned you have been on both sides.....why are you not recommending individuals follow the better career path?
    The better career path varies for different people. Not every trainer wants to go out on their own. Not everyone wants to drum up bodies to walk through their doors, which is what they need to do when owning a private studio versus having access to the 100s of members of an existing gym. This is just like how some people are happy punching a clock everyday because they don't want to worry about running their own business, but some people prefer running their own business and never want to punch the clock. The better path is subjective to the individual who is walking it.

Why are you perpetuating this idea that personal trainers must go into big chain gyms and fight/scrape for scraps?
    I'm not. This video was directed at someone who is in the same situation as 1000s of others around the world; the trainer in an existing gym who needs help obtaining clients.

Looking forward to your answers.
    See Bold.

See Bold.
    I've got be honest with you Ryan, I am disappointed by the majority of your responses. There are a few that I will highlight and try to advance, but most were just dismissals with no logic or reasoning behind them. This is not helping anyone in this discussion! With that being said, I am not trying to hijack your thread and if you don't want to answer my questions or have this discussion, fine. Just say so.
    Yes, they are coming for personal training. It's a personal training consult, which they've previously committed to. It's not a gym orientation. I'm not sure why you think they're not coming for personal training or to learn about personal training.
    No, it's because it's a personal training consult, which is where the trainer talks about training and it's benefits for the potential client.
    I think you and I have a different definition of 'working your ass off.' Being present in order to talk to new members during their signup process is not working your ass off. And I'm not promoting cold approaching or walking the gym floor in this video, period.
    They are doing the consult....because you solicit them. You say it right in your video. "BE RIGHT IN THEIR FACE" as they are signing up for the gym. So let's drop the act and quit pretending these individuals are serious about personal training. We all know the sales tactics. Its high pressure and people would rather say "yes" and flake later than to confront you and say no.

The bottom line is YOU are trying to persuade or sell yourself to an individual.
    It sounds like you're a person that believes clients should just be handed to you as a trainer. Would that be correct? It sounds like you don't understand that trainers have to put in work upfront, with no pay, to build a client base. While you don't seem to understand this, it's how things work.
    This is a false narrative. This is NOT how things work. This is however, how they work if someone takes one of this crappy chain gym jobs. I reject them thoroughly and you seem to propagate them. BIG difference between us.

And yes....I do believe trainers should be paid to TRAIN. And this is in fact how it works at Ramsden Elite Fitness. I pay my trainers to train. They do zero selling. They have to find zero clients. Our business attracts INTERESTED individuals. They come to me, I don't have to "get right in their face" or "go fishing for clients with a big net".

This is a humongous contrast between you and I. You are an "establishment" trainer and someone who views big chain gyms as good viable options for personal trainers. I am what I would call a "reformer" and seek innovation and new ways of doing things. So you do not have to perpetuate this myth that big chain gyms are the only way and "that's how it works".
    I run my own private studio and my own online coaching business. It seems you did not take that into account here.
    This is quite ironic. Why would you not recommend trainers follow this path? Seek employment in private studios? Do you not treat your employees better than big chain gyms do?
    I'm not. This video was directed at someone who is in the same situation as 1000s of others around the world; the trainer in an existing gym who needs help obtaining clients.
    Got it. You find it productive to tell people how to find the best seat on the Titanic. And I do not.

Could I give tips on how to be a good chain gym trainer? Sure. But its far more productive to teach other trainers to explore other options. To find better employment. Getting paid $6 a session (client pays $50 btw) is not what I call a worthwhile job. Instead of trying to help individuals be the best pig **** farmer....how about we tell them to not be a pig **** farmer at all? That there are vastly better options?

I really hope you get the big message about what I am trying to convey here. I don't even care about all the scooby snack tricks and tips. This conversation is about MORE than that. I hope you're able to reasonably see that and come back with some facts and rationale to your opinions were they to still differ. I don't expect everyone to just automatically agree with me, but at the very least I want a rationale discussion.

I've got be honest with you Ryan, I am disappointed by the majority of your responses. There are a few that I will highlight and try to advance, but most were just dismissals with no logic or reasoning behind them. This is not helping anyone in this discussion! With that being said, I am not trying to hijack your thread and if you don't want to answer my questions or have this discussion, fine. Just say so.

They are doing the consult....because you solicit them. You say it right in your video. "BE RIGHT IN THEIR FACE" as they are signing up for the gym. So let's drop the act and quit pretending these individuals are serious about personal training. We all know the sales tactics. Its high pressure and people would rather say "yes" and flake later than to confront you and say no.

The bottom line is YOU are trying to persuade or sell yourself to an individual.

This is a false narrative. This is NOT how things work. This is however, how they work if someone takes one of this crappy chain gym jobs. I reject them thoroughly and you seem to propagate them. BIG difference between us.

And yes....I do believe trainers should be paid to TRAIN. And this is in fact how it works at Ramsden Elite Fitness. I pay my trainers to train. They do zero selling. They have to find zero clients. Our business attracts INTERESTED individuals. They come to me, I don't have to "get right in their face" or "go fishing for clients with a big net".

This is a humongous contrast between you and I. You are an "establishment" trainer and someone who views big chain gyms as good viable options for personal trainers. I am what I would call a "reformer" and seek innovation and new ways of doing things. So you do not have to perpetuate this myth that big chain gyms are the only way and "that's how it works".

This is quite ironic. Why would you not recommend trainers follow this path? Seek employment in private studios? Do you not treat your employees better than big chain gyms do?

Got it. You find it productive to tell people how to find the best seat on the Titanic. And I do not.

Could I give tips on how to be a good chain gym trainer? Sure. But its far more productive to teach other trainers to explore other options. To find better employment. Getting paid $6 a session (client pays $50 btw) is not what I call a worthwhile job. Instead of trying to help individuals be the best pig **** farmer....how about we tell them to not be a pig **** farmer at all? That there are vastly better options?

I really hope you get the big message about what I am trying to convey here. I don't even care about all the scooby snack tricks and tips. This conversation is about MORE than that. I hope you're able to reasonably see that and come back with some facts and rationale to your opinions were they to still differ. I don't expect everyone to just automatically agree with me, but at the very least I want a rationale discussion.
    It's ok that you're disappointed. And I will pass on continuing our conversation, as you mentioned.

My content is helping people improve their training businesses on a daily basis and that is because it's useful and helpful. I know this because people reach out and thank me for it.

Thanks for your opinions.