TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Home Gym...Most Important Purchase?

I'm 48 and have finally decided to get off my tail and add some muscle to this aging body...something I haven't done in the first 48 years of my life. I don't have the money to spend right now (daughter starting college) but I'm looking forward to Christmas and will be keeping my eye out for some amazing sales that will hopefully happen between now and then.

What I currently have: flat bench, fixed dumbbell pairs of 10 20 and 30 pounds, adjustable dumbbell set which goes from 5 to 40 pounds...and extremely limited space - I'm talking about 8 foot by 7 foot!!!

I want to work out at home so I can get my workout in before work and basically for convenience.

With what I currently have, what do you feel would be the most important and useful piece of equipment to make as my next purchase?

What other items should I be looking to purchase after that?

Thank you for any and all help!

TripleB67

D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TripleB67 View Post
    I'm 48 and have finally decided to get off my tail and add some muscle to this aging body...something I haven't done in the first 48 years of my life. I don't have the money to spend right now (daughter starting college) but I'm looking forward to Christmas and will be keeping my eye out for some amazing sales that will hopefully happen between now and then.

What I currently have: flat bench, fixed dumbbell pairs of 10 20 and 30 pounds, adjustable dumbbell set which goes from 5 to 40 pounds...and extremely limited space - I'm talking about 8 foot by 7 foot!!!

I want to work out at home so I can get my workout in before work and basically for convenience.

With what I currently have, what do you feel would be the most important and useful piece of equipment to make as my next purchase?

TripleB67
    Power Rack, Barbell,Plates

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by D2rmind View Post
    This is the conventional wisdom around here. However, we don't know enough about you. At 48 years old, if you're just getting off the couch now, you may be substantially overweight, or you may be suffering from injuries, etc.

I suggest you talk to your doctor first. Then work on building a Cardio base and working on mobility and flexibility. A rowing machine might be a good place to start, and a calistenic routine for build some muscular endurance.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TripleB67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CliveWarren View Post
    This is the conventional wisdom around here. However, we don't know enough about you. At 48 years old, if you're just getting off the couch now, you may be substantially overweight, or you may be suffering from injuries, etc.
    Sorry...should have given more info.

48, 6'2", currently 198 pounds, have been lifting a little 3 days a week for a month, walking 3+ miles every other day for last month, play tennis about once a week, not very strong (use 30# db for bicep curls), just had physical and doc says everything looks awesome except my flexibility, had double hernia surgery in 2010, had microfracture knee surgery on left knee in 2012 (that leg slightly less flexible than right).

Again, space is incredibly limited...8' x 7'...not even large enough for olympic barbell

Thanks for all the help.

TripleB67
    Last edited by TripleB67; 08-02-2015 at 09:05 AM.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would agree on the bar/plates, rack, and bench (preferably in that order). However, you should touch base with your doctor or physical therapist on the knee.

Down the road, a trap bar might be a good idea for deadlifts or as an alternative to squats, depending on the knee situation.

I like Clive's suggestion for cardio and calisthenics, I might add some yoga or a stretching routine like Agile 8 or Limber 11 to build some flexibility. Again, a physical therapist could be really helpful here.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Since you already have dumbbells, at weights that currently challenge you, why not start a methodical dumbbell routine and see what happens? Search the internet and you will find many comprehensive full body dumbbell workouts. After a while you will probably have a good idea of what you want added to your equipment collection, and importantly, you are the best judge of what will fit in your telephone boo....er, workout area.

At a healthy active 48, you will make good progress.

Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Agree with the advice above. A good all-around dumbell routine along with cardio and yoga will get you back onto all-around shape while you slowly add to your collection (and fine some more space???).
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #15 ||---||

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by D2rmind View Post
    Someone said that once. . .
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    stop lying, it's never been said before. ever. this is groundbreaking advice
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Originally Posted by jreacher View Post

If you can do pull-ups or chin-ups, I'd suggest getting a pull up bar sometime after you get your barbell and other equipment.
    I appreciate everyone's honest opinions and help.

3 questions:
    1) Since I don't have room for an Olympic bar/Bench, would a 'standard/smaller' incline/decline/bench press bench be ok? If so, are there any you would recommend?

2) Would 'over the door frame' pull up apparatuses (such as 'the Perfect Multi Gym') be ok for pull ups?

Again, thanks for all the advice so far!

TripleB67

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah that's probably not going to work. The key issue, is that a 7x8 room won't contain an Olympic barbell with room for lateral movement or to load plates. 9x9 or 10x10 would be a tight squeeze but workable.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    if you don't have the space for a gym, i would honestly look into a membership at a gym. you have your dumbbell setup at home, maybe build a bar outside and hang some olympic rings, but a gym will have more stuff for you to use without your needing to compromise your living space at home.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If only I could remember who it was.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Originally Posted by CliveWarren View Post
    Yeah that's probably not going to work. The key issue, is that a 7x8 room won't contain an Olympic barbell with room for lateral movement.
    Is it possible that something like the Marcy Weight Bench Set (saw one for $80 at a local sports store, A.S....don't have enough post to put the link up) would get me through a couple years?

Unfortunately a gym really isn't an option for me.

Thanks again for all the help.

TripleB67

if the gym is impractical, and you can't get more space, i'd think a hex bar and some plates would be probably the best investment. you can hit the lower body pretty effectively with it, and can be safe doing so. the weights can probably be found cheap; then you just have to see if you can get ahold of a hex bar in your budget.

i'd still look at some suspension straps/olympic rings to add variety. maybe setup some parallel bars and a chin up bar outside if you have the space

thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Atty, considering the severe shortage of space, the mantra doesn't cut it. What about bench, olympic weight set with short bar, and rope-a-dope? Just thinking outside the box.

dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If this space is completely open to you then a single bar and some weight can easily be done on the diagonal. You can focus on some off the floor work for the time being to be an alternative to the work you are doing with the dumbbell s. You simply have to move things around regularly to accommodate. The door pull ups do work but you simply need more consideration. And make you you frequently check it's locked down and no jerking motion. Smooth and slower. You also hav hav number of plyometric and body weight work available. As well, a mentioned check with your doctor regarding the knee but don't let their word be law. Educate yourself as doctors don't always take in all the elements.
    Last edited by dragon360; 08-02-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: phone auto correct jibberish
    ▪[[────]]▪ York Barbell Club #65 ▪[[────]]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #65 []---[]
    â–ª[M]====[6]â–ª Mech6 Crew #3 â–ª[M]===[6]â–ª
    ─</>─<\>─ BWTG Cluster #65 ─</>─<\>─
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #65 ||---|| ▪█────█▪ Equipment Crew #74 ▪█────█▪

Sig line is not a novel.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You already have the DB's, buy the original P90X and report back in 90 days. Past that point the other recommendations are spot on, a power rack setup is what will take your training to the next level.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    You already have the DB's, buy the original P90X and report back in 90 days. Past that point the other recommendations are spot on, a power rack setup is what will take your training to the next level.
    I agree with this 100%. That's a good program for the equipment/space that you have. I used that program when I was first getting back into exercising and had great "all-around" fitness results. You'll want a pull-up bar and a door frame one is a reasonable place to start if you're unable to do a ceiling mounted version.

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

TripleB67
    More space

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by daniel327 View Post
    More space
    Says the guy in the tight yellow leathers. . . .
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Originally Posted by Robfitx View Post
    I agree with this 100%. That's a good program for the equipment/space that you have.
    Should I jump straight into P90X...or at 48 would I be better to start with P90 (which is different from the old Power 90 series)?

Again, I appreciate everyone's honest opinions and for thinking outside the box for me!

TripleB67
    Last edited by TripleB67; 08-02-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Should I jump straight into P90X...or at 48 would I be better to start with P90 (which is different from the old Power 90 series)?

Again, I appreciate everyone's honest opinions and for thinking outside the box for me!

TripleB67
    I did the original P90X one.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would go straight to P90X honestly, its a solid program and you can modify the workouts to your current fitness level. Its also great for beginners because it introduces you to logging your workouts and tracking progress, an important step that alot of people skip when just getting started.

Edit: Check CL, there are typically 2-3 P90X sets for sale in my area at a time. I believe people purchase the program from Beachbody and then burn personal copies and re-sell the original on CL (shame on them ). $40-$60 is what I see typically.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪