NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Cool Safe to drink water used to steam meats?

Hello, I now steam (and marinate for one hour prior in an acidic solution with an assortment of polyphenol containing foods, though I do make sure to consume foods rich in vitamin A/beta-carotene while consuming meats to negate the effects of the polyphenols on inhibiting iron absorption) my meats in order to minimize the amount of heterocyclic amines (HCAs), advanced glycation end products (AGEs), acrylamides, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PUHs) which are known and well documented carcinogens.

My only concern is that via steaming, I notice that some of the "juices" from the meats drip into the boiling water below the steam cage (I NEVER let the steaming water touch the meat, though). I'm concerned primarily with the loss of niacin, which is a water soluble vitamin (not really too concerned with the other B-vitamins as I obtain a bevy of them daily from other sources) and was wondering if it was safe to drink the water below the meats (the "steaming" water) to salvage some of the niacin.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
    Chitty insertions=Don't try with women

Bisto81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bisto81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bisto81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bisto81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bisto81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bisto81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bisto81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bisto81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bisto81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bisto81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bisto81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Completely safe to eat. Basically you're making stock.

Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's called broth.
    …we have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah. Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome. We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live. And that is the purpose of exercise. - Mark Rippetoe

NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NapBizzy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Bisto81 View Post
    Completely safe to eat. Basically you're making stock.
    Originally Posted by Jesse_l_g View Post
    It's called broth.
    Thanks guys, repped.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    why not make a stew? it's got protein, fat (taste better with fattier cuts), vegetables. it's easy to cook, tastes better over time so leftovers are great, and is cheap.

steaming meat and drinking the juices is overly obsessive about an insignificant amount of nutrient loss.

also, sous vide cooking is better than steaming, you can do it in a beer cooler
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    why not make a stew? it's got protein, fat (taste better with fattier cuts), vegetables. it's easy to cook, tastes better over time so leftovers are great, and is cheap.

steaming meat and drinking the juices is overly obsessive about an insignificant amount of nutrient loss.

also, sous vide cooking is better than steaming, you can do it in a beer cooler
    Primarily because I like to cook my meat (and other foods) as quickly as possible (though I know steaming is somewhat slow for meats, especially when compared with direct heat) The more time it is exposed to heat, the more nutrient loss can occur.

I'm all for boiling certain foods, though. Antioxidant activity has been shown to increase dramatically for some foods when heated (ex. beets and carrots)