Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Do you avoid sugars?

I seem to read contrasting points of view on this subject, some say it's the Hitler of nutrients, spiking insulin and wreaking havoc--while others proclaim that a calorie is a calorie.
    Let's duke it out.

Turbs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turbs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turbs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turbs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turbs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turbs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turbs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turbs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turbs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turbs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Turbs is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by mattvdh View Post
    I seem to read contrasting points of view on this subject, some say it's the Hitler of nutrients, spiking insulin and wreaking havoc--while others proclaim that a calorie is a calorie.
    Let's duke it out.
    No I do not avoid sugar. A sugar is simply a carbohydrate or to be more precise a monosaccharide/disaccharide. What do you think happens to the polysaccharides that you eat? They are broken down into glucose a monosaccharide that is then used as energy by the body.

As for a calorie is a calorie. Well a calorie is a measurement of the amount of heat to raise 1kg of water by 1degrees celsius (kcal that is, although its just referred to as a Calorie in nutrition). So I'm not sure how anyone can argue a calorie is anything other than a calorie.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I don't dichotomise.

I have some sugar in my diet but am mindful of the 50g recommended limit for fructose.

mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Turbs View Post
    No I do not avoid sugar. A sugar is simply a carbohydrate or to be more precise a monosaccharide/disaccharide. What do you think happens to the polysaccharides that you eat? They are broken down into glucose a monosaccharide that is then used as energy by the body.

As for a calorie is a calorie. Well a calorie is a measurement of the amount of heat to raise 1kg of water by 1degrees celsius (kcal that is, although its just referred to as a Calorie in nutrition). So I'm not sure how anyone can argue a calorie is anything other than a calorie.
    I suppose the main argument is that refined sugars are highly concentrated and gets in the blood too quickly. Whereas regular CHO have to be broken down, and often blunted with fiber, so the insulin spike isn't nearly as high.

Whiteshadows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Whiteshadows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Whiteshadows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Whiteshadows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Whiteshadows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Whiteshadows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Whiteshadows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Whiteshadows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Whiteshadows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Whiteshadows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Whiteshadows has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I suppose the main argument is that refined sugars are highly concentrated and gets in the blood too quickly. Whereas regular CHO have to be broken down, and often blunted with fiber, so the insulin spike isn't nearly as high.
    With what significance? What determines fat gain or loss is not insulin, but long term calorie surplus or deficit. For that reason, sugar does not matter.

That said I do avoid sugar since it allows me to eat more satiating food that is less calorie dense.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Whiteshadows View Post
    With what significance? What determines fat gain or loss is not insulin, but long term calorie surplus or deficit. For that reason, sugar does not matter.

That said I do avoid sugar since it allows me to eat more satiating food that is less calorie dense.
    This

Blaming insulin is shooting the messenger. Don't forget to also blame GLUT-4 transport.

Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I can honestly say, that as committed as I am to my lifting and my diet, if I actively avoided sugars my life would be miserable. I have a sweet tooth - life without chocolate and ice cream is not one I care for ;D
    Nutella.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    This

Blaming insulin is shooting the messenger. Don't forget to also blame GLUT-4 transport.
    so do we blame another hormone signaler such as leptin?

Well the argument that a 'calorie is calorie' thinking isn't correct to many people in the fitness/nutrition industry, specifically endocrinologists and keto folks. What's more important is how that specific calorie interacts with your particular body chemistry.

owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Let's duke it out.
    No, I don't avoid any food. All carbs turn to sugar in the body.

kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

^^ this. Unless you have special health concerns that make you closely watch sugar intake. Sugar is just another carb
    Owner of So-B-Fit
    CPT

IG: stephaniesobien

NPC WPD and WNPF, Metal Militia powerlifter

so do we blame another hormone signaler such as leptin?
    No, we blame the person for eating too many calories.

Well the argument that a 'calorie is calorie' thinking isn't correct to many people in the fitness/nutrition industry, specifically endocrinologists and keto folks. What's more important is how that specific calorie interacts with your particular body chemistry.
    This is because they have to deal with the general public who have ad libitum diets unlike a serious lifter.

So highly flavoured and calorie dense foods lead to overconsumption of calories. You can do this with pringles just as easily as you can do it with haribos. Thus, they rely on food choices to control calorie balance.

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes because they make you fat
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

Originally Posted by owaz View Post
    No, I don't avoid any food. All carbs turn to sugar in the body.
    true, but the absorption rate is what's the issue. If you eat a bowl of oats for instance, it has a much slower digestion/absorption rate because it's a complex carb and contains fiber; conversely, white sugar for instance gets in the blood stream much more quickly and spikes the insulin response because it doesn't have anything in the way of blunting absorption.

If the hormonal response is insignificant, then why is it that some people can consume sugars without any concern or weight gains, whereas others become obese, yet they have the same approximate energy output? If sugars are just mere calories, then why are some people insulin and leptin resistant?

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I love sugar and sugar loves me.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

true, but the absorption rate is what's the issue. If you eat a bowl of oats for instance, it has a much slower digestion/absorption rate because it's a complex carb and contains fiber; conversely, white sugar for instance gets in the blood stream much more quickly and spikes the insulin response because it doesn't have anything in the way of blunting absorption.
    You seem to be holding up an insulin spike as "bad". But why? If digestion is slower, there is still insulin - a lower amount but for a longer time. This is why I said it's shooting the messenger. Either way the glucose load has to be dealt with.

This is because they have to deal with the general public who have ad libitum diets unlike a serious lifter.

So highly flavoured and calorie dense foods lead to overconsumption of calories. You can do this with pringles just as easily as you can do it with haribos. Thus, they rely on food choices to control calorie balance.
    Not necessarily. I'm my personal experience, my childhood beat friend would eat sugars and high calorie foods almost exclusively--you couldn't get him yo eat anything healthy if his life depended on it. Myself in the other hand ate almost nothing but natural foods. My parents only bought natural foods and we had a farm and garden. My friend and I were both very active and played many sports. We were practically inseparable and would have very similar lifestyles aside from our parents choice for foods. Th difference is that I balloons to 220lbs at the age of 12, he always had abs....figure that one out.

InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by PBateman2 View Post
    I love sugar and sugar loves me.
    Sugar aint the only one who loves ya big boy
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by InItForFitness View Post
    Sugar aint the only one who loves ya big boy
    lol…on spread.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If by sugar you mean refined white sugar, such as sweet processed foods, then yes. But not because I have some moral objection. I just hate sweets. My vice is salty foods like potato chips. But "sugar" really means any carbohydrate. That's why eating complex carbs is good for you, the fiber takes care of the insulin spike.

NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NC1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You seem to be holding up an insulin spike as "bad". But why? If digestion is slower, there is still insulin - a lower amount but for a longer time. This is why I said it's shooting the messenger. Either way the glucose load has to be dealt with.
    Insulin spikes are bad because they lead to resistance over time. It's called diabetes. The slower digesting a carb is the less harshly it spikes insulin. So 50grams of carb A(white rice) and 50grams of carb B (rolled oats) both produce the same amount of insulin, but carb B does it over a period of time twice as long.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I refuse to eat sugar as it makes you fat. I also don't take in any type of carbs after 8pm as that makes you fat as well. I also blame the government conspiracy to make Americans fat so we're more docile and easy to control.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    I refuse to eat sugar as it makes you fat. I also don't take in any type of carbs after 8pm as that makes you fat as well. I also blame the government conspiracy to make Americans fat so we're more docile and easy to control.
    You're probably just not timing your protein correctly.

I can assist you with that.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Originally Posted by NC1989 View Post
    Insulin spikes are bad because they lead to resistance over time. It's called diabetes. The slower digesting a carb is the less harshly it spikes insulin. So 50grams of carb A(white rice) and 50grams of carb B (rolled oats) both produce the same amount of insulin, but carb B does it over a period of time twice as long.
    Even in lean and active individuals? Do you have a source for this?

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    LOL wrong.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    FYI: Eating protein can "spike" insulin more than eating 50 grams of rolled oats. And eating 50 grams of rolled oats can result in a larger insulin "spike" than eating 50 grams of white rice, depending on total meal composition.

Do you want to try to make up a different nonsensical argument?

Sagaro87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sagaro87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sagaro87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sagaro87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sagaro87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sagaro87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sagaro87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sagaro87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sagaro87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sagaro87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sagaro87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sugar is fat free!

GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GDPONE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I say most other cultures than American, that are not fat dont consume chit tons of sugar. I think that sugar seems to be a major cause of a lot of issues. Think and look at how much chit has sugar in it, in the typical US diet.

Originally Posted by GDPONE View Post
    I say most other cultures than American, that are not fat dont consume chit tons of sugar. I think that sugar seems to be a major cause of a lot of issues. Think and look at how much chit has sugar in it, in the typical US diet.
    I can't even take you seriously since you shaved that amazing beard...
    �USMC (2009-2013) �