Talon Razor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training for Army Reserve OCS/Police Academy

So I'm currently a student up here in Alaska, having two years left on my Bachelor of Arts in Economics and a minor in Biological Sciences. My ultimate goal is to become a United States Deputy Marshal, although working as an FBI SA or Diplomatic Security SA (I'd really like to serve as an RSO) would be interesting as well. I know it's extremely competitive in these agencies which is why I'm trying to prep myself now as best as I can. Basically, once I'm done with my degree I will be entering a Washington police force and applying to the Army Reserve to enter the Officer Candidate School, shooting for MP or Infantry MOSs. I need to lose weight (ten to twenty pounds) and increase muscle mass. Last year I did a really good weight routine and added like six pounds of muscle but I've been off of it for awhile and need to get buff and trim for the Army Reserve and police academy. I've got one and half - two years to train so it's not a big deal. I'm biking to the gym (takes twenty-thirty minutes) to increase workout. Planning to hit the gym Monday-Friday a week with something like this:

Day 1: Chest/Upper Body, 40 minute jog
    Day 2: One hour Swim, Abs workout
    Day 3: Back/Lower Body, 40 minute jog
    Day 4: One hour swim, Abs workout
    Day 5: Legs/Thighs

What do you guys think? I also plan to do situps and pushups in the morning, as I'll be doing my workout routine in the afternoon. I planning to do a protein shake with a Creatine pill after every workout. I'm a college student and a poor one at that so I can't afford super good eating but I'm eating as healthy as possible. It's really hard for me to get the 4-6 meal plan (I did a really good nutrition plan from ABCbodybuilding) because I'm on campus most of the afternoon and do not want to buy anything there. Right now I'm having like a meal when I come home in the afternoons and a lighter meal during the evenings each day and that's it. A guy I know in Air Force intelligence said to make small 8oz. bags, about six to eight of them, and eat them like an hour or two apart for meals. I thought that was a pretty good idea. I think I might try that for awhile.

Someone also suggested start an aggressive martial arts program like brazilian jiu jitsu or muy thai. Any recommendations? I'm trying to keep my gym time to down around two hours a day, and a few hours a week for sports/rec.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: After reading through all the stickies and stuff about the Ripptoe workout, I'll be trying that instead. Ordering the book and doing that routine, it looks the best for what I need. Will biking to the gym hurt me? What about swimming?
    Last edited by Talon Razor; 02-23-2007 at 03:10 AM.

Hmm, after reading through all the stickies and most of the other threads, appears I might have ****ed this thread up. Dunno if I should try again or re-vamp this thread.

I'm now looking at doing the Ripptoe workout instead of the other routine, which is something I've been using for like a year now. Should I stick to it for a year or so or my entire training time? There really isn't any other workout ideas that will benefit me at all?

Sorry for the newbish first post duders.

Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you bike at an easy pace, then it should not be a problem. Another workout you may want to try is the everother day workout. Here is an example
    Mon-upper
    Tues rest or cardio/swim
    Wed Lower
    Thrus-rest or cardio/swim
    Fri-upper
    Sat-rest
    Sun-Lower
    and keep repeating. Vary your sets and reps each workout. One day do 5x5, next 3x15 and next 4x10.

sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Since your goal is military / police type of work, why don't you train for it specifically? Riptoe etc is good for size but that isn't necessarily your goal is it? Maybe try something more like these http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=870772

Either way, the biking to the gym shouldn't be a problem unless it's something crazy like 20+ miles.

Also, just FYI if you use the search button you might find more helpful things. Rep your elders.

So would you strongly recommend training just for Army phyiscals? My primary goal right now is to lose weight and gain muscle. Perhaps I should do Ripptoe this year and start on specific training next year? I worry that I'd perform horribly on these Army routines currently.

I've always heard an upper/lower split is a good way to do it and that's how I've done it. Right now though, I'm a chubby (6'1'', 220ish) who needs to drop weight and gain muscle. Is Ripptoe the best for it? Should I worry about a split routine instead?

Thanks for the help guys.