TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Beginner Basic Lift Goals

Hi,

Just had a quick question on what "good" goals would be for the main lifts. I just started training about 6-7 weeks ago and am on the Stronglifts 5x5 program - added chin ups and dips to the end of the program. I am 21 years old, male, 5 foot 7, and 161 lbs at between 16-19% body fat (which I am working on bringing down:P).

So my question is, at what weight in lifts can I start working on size/hypertrophy vs. building solid foundational strength. I want to get stronger and build a good base before I mess with high sets/reps for size as I feel this would be beneficial. The exercises I am asking about would include Back Squat, Standing Over Head Press, Bench Press, Bent Over Row, and Deadlift.

I am currently at:

Squat: 155 x 5 x 5
    BP: 105 x 5 x 5
    OHP: 80 x 5 x 5
    Row: 105 x 5 x 5
    DL: 175 x 5 x 5

justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TipsyBanker View Post
    Hi,

Just had a quick question on what "good" goals would be for the main lifts. I just started training about 6-7 weeks ago and am on the Stronglifts 5x5 program - added chin ups and dips to the end of the program. I am 21 years old, male, 5 foot 7, and 161 lbs at between 16-19% body fat (which I am working on bringing down:P).

So my question is, at what weight in lifts can I start working on size/hypertrophy vs. building solid foundational strength. I want to get stronger and build a good base before I mess with high sets/reps for size as I feel this would be beneficial. The exercises I am asking about would include Back Squat, Standing Over Head Press, Bench Press, Bent Over Row, and Deadlift.
    You don't have to get to a certain strength level to start "training for size/hypertrophy." IMO getting a good strength base is a good idea, and the stronger you are the more weight you will be able to move at higher reps. But there is no set point to switch, and lots of people have gotten very strong and very big just starting out with a more BB oriented routine.

SO there is no "magic number" where you would make the switch. Just the average finishing numbers of people who did SS or SL, and didn't totally screw up or sissy out on the program are usually:

315 Sq, ~200-225 bench, ~405 deadlift, ~150 OHP, all for worksets.

Those are for guys who endo up weighing around 200lbs. At 5'7 your numbers may end up a bit lower than those, if you choose to stick with SL until you can't progress anymore.
    "I'm just a lat guy, you know? I've got these amazing lats, and I'm just living in an ab guy's world." -Workaholics

__r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Switch to another program when you can no longer increase the weight from workout to workout (after failing and de-loading) for the majority of the lifts you listed.
    Stronglifts is a program with a fast progression scheme and increasing your lifts at that rate is great for your hypertrophy and strength goals. Abuse it as long as you can.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Add 10% to each of the weights you described.

That's your mid-term goal.

Add another 10% to that.

Then another 10%.

Then another.

Then another.

Flisker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flisker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flisker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flisker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flisker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flisker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flisker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flisker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flisker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flisker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flisker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi,

I am currently at:

If you are beginner, from my experience you should start low weight and lot of reps to get motorwhateverthing (basicaly feel for "firing" right muscles and right movement for exercise) than move to hypertrophy something like 3-4x8-10reps and after some time when you feel like you have mastered at least all basic moves you could move to powerlifting/stronglift programs if you wish so.

Why? Because if you are not skilled in basics, you will get stuck fast with progress with heavy-ass weight and possibility of injury is much higher.

That's what I have seen on ppl I trained with. Asking someone who is begginer lifter to do heavy deadlift or even bench press is not working, they might do the movement but form is terrible and it only gets worse with more iron on bar.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Hi,

I am currently at:

If your goal is size, then train for size. There's no benefit to train some other way that that which will move you directly towards your goal.

As far as 'main lift' goals go, a good one would be to lift just a little bit more today than you were able to yesterday.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733